Taking a cue from eldusto84, I’m making a short, sweet, and to the point edit of Rogue One. This cut, clocking in at just over 47 minutes, opens with our heroes dropping into orbit around Scarif and ends with Darth Vader looking out at the escaping Tantive IV.
I’ll go ahead and say that Rogue One is my least favorite film in the franchise. I don’t care about the characters (even the ones whose name I can remember), the fan service is at its most obscene, and the dead speak! But I’m not here to get into a debate about the merits of the film. This edit seeks to zero in on the parts I do enjoy by focusing entirely on the final battle and heist.
- New opening based on Solo’s opening text:
“It is a desperate time.
The GALACTIC EMPIRE rules the galaxy through fear and oppression.
REBEL SPIES lead a daring mission to secure the technical readouts of the Empire’s new superweapon, THE DEATH STAR.
All HOPE for peace in the galaxy lies within the grasp of a curageous few…”
- Opening uses “Wobani Imperial Labor Camp” theme.
- Rogue One title leads directly to shuttle coming out of hyperspace above Scarif.
- Removed Krennic arriving on planet; he’s just the commander of the station.
- Cut all mentions, allusions to Galen Erso. Jyn is just a rebel spy.
- No more “For Jedha!” as soldiers land on the beach.
- To remove cgi zombies, the only time we see Tarkin is a shot from behind as he orders the Death Star to target the station on Scarif, and Leia is removed entirely.
- Masturbatory Vader scene is cut down to remove some of the more egregious “Bad Ass” killings.
- Movie ends on Vader looking at the escaping Tantive IV.
I know some work needs to be done, and help or comments about anything would be really appreciated:
- Editing opening text
- Create new Rogue One title card to blend seemlessly into opening.
- Anything else that stands out
Below are a couple clips:
Toned Down Vader & Ending
DM me for link.