Hi everyone! I’m the editor of the Maple Films version of the Hobbit (JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit). For my second fanedit, I’ve decided to make a version of Rogue One that revolves entirely around the Battle of Scarif. This was the most exciting sequence in the film by far, and I feel would make for an exciting 40-minute (or so) film.
In order to make The Battle of Scarif stand on its own (meaning you wouldn’t NEED to see all of Rogue One to understand what happens in this cut), I’m planning to make the following edits and adjustments:
- Insertion of an opening crawl (isn’t everyone doing this??). It will summarize the events that occur during the course of Rogue One that lead to the Scarif battle.
- First scene of the film is the confrontation between Krennic and Darth Vader, with some adjusted dialogue for Vader.
- The Rebels will still bicker over going to war, but this stuff will be trimmed. As will Cassian’s super long monologue about the Rebellion. Booorrrring.
- I never found myself that invested in Rogue One’s characters to begin with, so most “character” scenes and lines will be adjusted. The main focus of the edit will be the battle itself and the recovery of the Death Star plans.
- Insertion of classic Star Wars music cues from John Williams. I’ve been going through the entire saga OST and will be dropping tracks where appropriate. Most people have agreed that Giacchino’s score just didn’t cut it. Not that I totally blame him; apparently he had 3-4 weeks to write and conduct everything.
- Various SFX enhancements.
- Other edits that I can’t think of right now, since I don’t have a copy of the film yet!
As with my Hobbit fanedit, The Battle of Scarif will be edited from the Blurays using 5.1 surround sound, and will be released in the best quality possible. Any tips or suggestions on where to find a good, complete Star Wars SFX library would be appreciated!
JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit