logo Sign In

48 fps!

Author
Time

I'm almost as excited to see this visual breakthrough as I am to see "The Hobbit." Who's with me?

Author
Time

I am, though I know many were skeptical after a 10 minutes sample several months ago.  I hope that it's more of a lack of familiarity rather than a serious problem.  My hopes remain high!

Author
Time

I wish there were any theaters in my STATE that were showing it at that speed!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

I feel your pain. I have to drive almost 25 min to get to the nearest place doing 48 fps IMAX 3D.

Darn So-Cal.

Author
Time

Video games have been running at 60 FPS for years!

CATCH UP!

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

I wonder what they'll do for the 24p BD release.

Simple solution: Throw out half of the frames!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

Have you checked this list?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/21/64780-complete-listing-of-theaters-showing-hobbit-hfr-3d-imax-3d-imax-dolby-atmos/

I sort of lucked out a brand new multiplex opened in my town just last month. I'll still have to go to the IMAX screen elsewhere if I want to see the nine minute preview for the next Star Trek film.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

It is the same effect as this? If so, I'm not excited.

The blue elephant in the room.

Author
Time

The "soap opera effect" is adding additional frames on the fly that didn't exist in the first place.

In the 90's I saw an attraction at the Luxor in Las Vegas that used Doug Trumbull's Showscan process, which used an even higher frame rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showscan

What I saw created the illusion live actors were sitting on a talk show set in front of me. Only minor telltale film nicks and scratches gave it away.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

If Pioneer could figure out how too add digital sound to Laserdisc, (and ultimately Dolby and DTS) someone will make 48 fps work with Blu Ray. We'd probably need a new player and tv though.

If not, and this thing grabs audiences in a good way, theaters have a "killer app" you can't replicate at home.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Am not impressed with it being shot on video any more than i am for 48 fps.  Basically its garbage in my opinion.

I'll get the 24fps blu ray when it comes out.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

No matter how stupid this might sound, I think that even though this could be considered a technical step forward, I think film is film and video is video and one of the things that makes a film feel like a film is how the motion differs from reality.

I would love to see The Hobbit in 48fps after seeing the 24fps version just because I'm interested in how it would feel to watch it that way, but I'm pretty sure I will prefer the 24fps version. I can somehow imagine 48fps would look a lot like the motion interpolation effect all new TVs have. Every time I go to an electronics shop they have TVs displaying films like Avatar, motion interpolated to double or triple framerate and it looks horrible.

Author
Time

You_Too said:

No matter how stupid this might sound, I think that even though this could be considered a technical step forward, I think film is film and video is video and one of the things that makes a film feel like a film is how the motion differs from reality.

I would love to see The Hobbit in 48fps after seeing the 24fps version just because I'm interested in how it would feel to watch it that way, but I'm pretty sure I will prefer the 24fps version. I can somehow imagine 48fps would look a lot like the motion interpolation effect all new TVs have. Every time I got to an electronics shop they have TVs displaying films like Avatar, motion interpolated to double or triple framerate and it looks horrible.

That is a good idea.  I think that's what I will do.  I will watch the real, 24 fps version first so that the movie won't be ruined. 

Then I will go to the 48 showing and see what that is like. 

I wish that I could just wish my feelings away...but I can't.  Wishful wishing can only lead to wishes wished for in futile wishfulness, which is not what I wish to wish for. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

"The real, 24 fps version"? Seriously? What makes that the "real" one? It is being filmed in 48 fps. The 24fps will be the converted, altered, version of the movie. At this point, it is almost like preferring a 16:9 aspect ratio to such a degree that you insist on watching everything in 16:9 or wider, even if it means cropping something that was originally filmed and presented in 4:3 "so that the movie will not be ruined".

I sometimes don't get this resistance to change. Some of us in here sound like we're a few years shy of being ready to live in a nursing home. Don't get me wrong, it is great to prefer older technology, I love listening to my music (even new stuff) on vinyl, can't stand watching movies in gimmicky 3D, and am certainly a fan of film over digital. But I can certainly see the advantages of CD's and high quality digital recordings, why a lot of people find it fun to go to 3D movies, and the pluses of shooting digitally. I think it is quite ridiculous to oppose something new only because it isn't what you are used to seeing.

Author
Time

Talking movies are just a passing fad. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

You_Too said:

I would love to see The Hobbit in 48fps after seeing the 24fps version just because I'm interested in how it would feel to watch it that way, but I'm pretty sure I will prefer the 24fps version. I can somehow imagine 48fps would look a lot like the motion interpolation effect all new TVs have. Every time I got to an electronics shop they have TVs displaying films like Avatar, motion interpolated to double or triple framerate and it looks horrible.

It's not like that. Those TVs are showing 24fps and 29.97fps videos converted. The Hobbit was filmed natively in 48fps. There's not much precedent because no major movie has been released in a native framerate that high. The only conversion in the Hobbit will be if you see it at a 24fps framerate, so if there will be artifacts of any kind it will be in that version.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I see 48fps as a curiosity and nothing more. I imagine it will take off much like 3D but will take a long time for it to become the norm.

As for film vs video as a certain someone typically managed to wrangle into this discussion? I've stopped caring. As long as the digital cameras are of high quality I don't care. It's more what's done with the medium and less how it's filmed. Of course I don't excuse George Lucas for filming at only 1080p, but if 2k or 4k cameras are used I think it looks just as good as film to my eye. I like films that have grain structure but honestly it's not a deal-breaker if it wasn't filmed that way the way it is with home video. There's a difference between a film being scrubbed of natural grain and it not having much to begin with.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's less a resolution thing and more the quality of the optics. The Episode II and III cameras had really bad sensors and only 2/3" CCDs, just like news cameras--well, the prequel cameras were news cameras, retrofitted for movie use.

As the technology gets cheaper and easier to view, 3D and high framerate filming will eventually become standard, it's just a question of whether this is 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years. It's just a natural progression in the trajectory to capture real life. First we had sound, then we had colour, then we had 3D and now we have frame rates that better approximate real life motion. Doug Trumbull has been working on a 128FPS system for about 30 years, because after years of testing he felt that was the frame rate at which it would indistinguishable from real life. He held a screening once, a tech demo, and Spielberg was there, and the projection screen was inclosed in a box. Before the film starts a man walks out in front of the screen and starts explaining the technology and what they are about to see. Spielberg says something like "when is the actual screening going to start," when the enclosure surrounding the screen lifts and reveals the man is actually a projection. He was the demo, but he was impossible to tell from real life. I want to see that, I'm excited for that day, when films are in colour, in sound, in three optical dimensions, and in real-life motion.

We are on a trajectory for as complete an immersion as possible, and these seem to me to be pretty obvious routes. Some people have this knee-jerk "ah, it's a fad" mentality but I don't get that, it's seems more that people just don't like change, even when it increases the immersion of the film. Eventually they will accept it, just like all the people who thought sound was ruining films dealt with it. That, by the way, is true, there were huge amounts of people who felt that sound betrayed the very foundation of motion pictures, because it was a visual medium done in a certain style where people didn't speak. Same with colour, because black and white was seen as more artistic and proper--colour was a gimmick; and it sort of was. But ultimately it made the films more realistic, and that's what won the day.

The problem with high frame rate in the past was projection, and it still is today. But when we were dealing with film, you would have had to replace the entire projector. Now that we are in the age of digital projectors, it might be possible to just update or mod the existing hardware--I'm assuming that is what is happening with the Hobbit, it would be doubtful so many theaters would install new projectors just for one film. It's also easier to build cameras with higher frame rates now that we are digital, whereas in the past with 35mm cameras the entire thing had to be gutted from scratch.

Author
Time

I'm very interested to see what 48 fps looks like. I will be seeing the 24 fps first, however, so it will be cool to compare. 

As for my opinion on the format at this moment, I have a feeling I will still prefer 24 fps, but, well, you never know.

As for where it's going? Well, once it's all digital projection, it will be easier to show 48 fps films movies everywhere. I don't see it as a 3D add-on experience type of thing, I feel like it will end up being a director's preference type of deal, with some 24 and some 48. I would be surprised if it didn't take off after the Hobbit, but I have a hard time believing it would ever completely replace 24 (or 30, I guess).  

Author
Time

48 FPS would make a good title for something.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well the thing to remember is, why do you think 24 FPS was chosen as a standard? No, really, this seems like a stupid thing to even ask, but if you know movie history it may make things I say a bit clearer.

Back in the early 1900s, there was no standards for movies. It was a new, experimental technology, and people were branching out and doing all kinds of weird things with it, many of which never survived or caught on. One of the bigger thing was frame rate. There was no standard for frame rate. Most early films shot in something like 18 or 20 FPS. At the time, when you projected it, the motion wasn't totally smooth, it was slightly staccato. But now the standard is 24 FPS, so those old 16 and 18 FPS films are played back at 24 FPS. This gives the sometimes comical effect of fast-motion. That's the reason many old films look sped up.

Why choose a frame rate that, when projected natively looks jerky, or when projected back at the current standard of 24 FPS looks fast? Money. Film is very, very, very expensive. Five minutes of film costs about $1000 for raw stock, and another $1000 to develop and transfer--in today's dollars. At least it did when I worked with 35mm some brief years ago. They could have filmed in 24 FPS, instead of 12, 16, 18 or 20 FPS. They could have also easily filmed in 48 FPS--and they did. But it was so expensive, if you made a feature film that way the costs would skyrocket. They chose an under-24FPS rate at first because it was cheap. It was affordable. So what, it looks a bit jerky, people will be wowed anyway and this is a good compromise. Around the 1920s, as the medium matured and a whole industry sprouted, they had to decide on standards. So, what was the standard frame rate? They chose 24 frames per second. NOT AT ALL because it was ideal, or realistic. They chose that rate because it was the best compromise between affordability, and realism. It wasn't all that realistic, but it was halfway there, and it was a fraction of the cost of filming in something like 60 FPS, which most of the nice looking video games of today run at.

So, from day one it was an arbitrary figure based on financial compromise. But, since we are raised from birth exposed to this on a daily basis it seems "natural" to us. It isn't. There is nothing "natural" or "right" about it, it's an arbitrary decision, but we are just used to it. 30 FPS looks ugly, because it's too little an improvement. 48FPS might just be enough of a difference to cause a shift in perception. I would prefer Dougie's 128 FPS standard, since we aren't printing film anymore, but at least 48 FPS is a doubling of what we have now, and just enough in the "realism" zone to qualify. 24 FPS looks "nice," but that's subjective, it's mainly because we have been raised from birth to look at that, but the history behind that standard is really due to financial issues.

Author
Time

Do U have proof to back that up????????  Please give 10 reasons why I should believe you!!!!!!!

Actually, that really is interesting to know :)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I read in a book some time ago that 24 fps was decided on as the result of a variety of different tests- it was determined that it produced smooth motion but being slightly under 30 the strobing effect put the audience into an altered state.  After lots of tests done at a variety of different frame rates, it was determined that 24/25 was the best format for narrative stories.

But hey, maybe I am wrong and maybe 48 fps is great. But judging by the audience reaction to the first 48 fps Hobbit clip, I have a feeling I am not the only one.

I wish that I could just wish my feelings away...but I can't.  Wishful wishing can only lead to wishes wished for in futile wishfulness, which is not what I wish to wish for. 

Author
Time

Also, black and white should not have died;) It co-existed with color from the 1930s to the 1960s.  It should have remained an option.