logo Sign In

Why does Mr. Bean fall from the sky?

Author
Time

I have been a fan of the show since I was a kid. I always loved the episode where Mr. Bean is in the church and he keeps falling asleep, trying to eat candy, singing badly. I have always pondered why exactly he falls from the sky.

In my youth I thought it was because he was an angel, but now as an adult, I know that can't be true. Mr. Bean is an asshole to people. He does try to cheer up the occasional child, but he usually does things to help his own situation, so he can't be an angel.

At this point in my life, I think he is an alien. Yep, the beam of light is a way of explaining it.

Another part of me thinks he was abducted by aliens only to be rejected instantly. He doesn't exactly have a soft landing on the cobblestone.

What do you think?

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

I'm going to be boring, and quote Wikipedia:

At the beginning of episode two onwards, Mr. Bean falls from the sky in a beam of light, accompanied by a choir singing Ecce homo qui est faba ("Behold the man who is a bean "). These opening sequences were initially in black and white in episodes 2 and 3, and were intended by the producers to show his status as an "ordinary man cast into the spotlight". However, later episodes showed Mr. Bean dropping from the night sky in a deserted London street, against the backdrop of St. Paul's Cathedral suggesting Bean is an alien. Atkinson himself has acknowledged that Bean "has a slightly alien aspect to him"; in the animated series, he was actually shown to be an alien.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

I'm going to be boring, and quote Wikipedia:

At the beginning of episode two onwards, Mr. Bean falls from the sky in a beam of light, accompanied by a choir singing Ecce homo qui est faba ("Behold the man who is a bean "). These opening sequences were initially in black and white in episodes 2 and 3, and were intended by the producers to show his status as an "ordinary man cast into the spotlight". However, later episodes showed Mr. Bean dropping from the night sky in a deserted London street, against the backdrop of St. Paul's Cathedral suggesting Bean is an alien. Atkinson himself has acknowledged that Bean "has a slightly alien aspect to him"; in the animated series, he was actually shown to be an alien.

It explains a lot. I also thought he might have been probed by aliens, which might explain why electronics don't get along with him.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

My uncle used to find Mr Bean offensive, because he thought it was making fun of people with learning difficulties.

What a twat.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

My uncle used to find Mr Bean offensive, because he thought it was making fun of people with learning difficulties.

What a twat.

Wow, I have never heard anybody describe Mr. Bean in that way. People (mostly women) usually say they don't like Mr. Bean because he acts silly. My mother wouldn't let me watch The Three Stooges and Mr. Bean, because of how silly they were, but my dad would let me watch them and Mr. Bean all of the time. She had no problem with Monty Python, because it was witty, but I think all comedy needs a degree of wit. Rowan Atkinson does bring wit to the Bean series. He was more of a cartoon of his former self in the 97 film, but the series had some fresh humor. I never saw him as having learning difficulties, I always just saw him as a selfish/obnoxious kid in a 35 year old man's body.

<span> </span>

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

What a twat.

Mr. Bean is not a twat! 

Author
Time

Hell yes, I've been necroposted. Now I'm an internet celebrity!!

<span> </span>