logo Sign In

The Hobbit movie: Dwarves

Author
Time

All the dwarves ran together for me in the book, so I really feel bad for the actors in these movies. Will we come close to having enough time to care about any of them?

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

Kili doesn't look like a dwarf.

I am excited to Richard Armitage playing the role of Thorin. He should be great.

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

Go with the same design of hobbiton and gandalf as lotr only a little age difference on gandalf and it would be fine.

The only thing i have reservations and worries about really other than beorn, gollum, the riddle contest is handled is really smaug the dragon.

Bilbo looks a little too tall for a hobbit but i am sure that will be fixed in the final movie.  Not too sure on the actor chosen but i won't know until i see the film.  I do hate that its being shot on video in 3-D and not on super35 film.  Like the rings films.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

All the dwarves felt like one character to me as well. Perhaps they will focus on a core group and the others will hang out in the background. (Which if I remember correctly is pretty much what happened in the novel) That may not work for me on the screen.

I don't know how they're going to pull this off but I hope they do.

(My spell check is telling me "Dwarves" isn't a word. But "Dwarfs" is? I feel lied to.)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Dwarfs or dwarves: both forms are equally correct; generally dwarfs is used when referring to little people (e.g. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) and dwarves when referring to the mythological creature (Tolkien uses this form in The Hobbit).

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Spellchecks aren't always reliable creatures (though some can be adjusted to be more so).

Without adjustment British users get correctly spelt words flagged up all the time (eg any word Americans inject a "z' into where an "s" has been doing the job well enough for aeons, like 'realise').

Some words while a little archaic are still in regular use in some circles and some spellchecks flag up those too. 

Author
Time

Talk about disappointing! I really thought this thread was going to be about a Hobbit spin-off TV series called The Hobbit: Dwarves.

Bingo, you can change your dictionary to English [UK] and avoid that problem.

Author
Time

I have, though a surprisingly large number of people are unaware that it can be adjusted.

Which is why I pointed it out.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In real life it's dwarfs and elfs but in Tolkien's it's dwarves and elves.

Anyway, I'm a big Tolkien fan, and have read everything published by his estate, and I have to say I'm really excited about the movie.  I think Jackson has it under control just like he did Lord of the Rings.

I think the dwarves look great, Fili and Kili not excluded (they have to have someone for girls to put posters of in their rooms!).  I think, being a visual version of the book, the different dwarves will actually stand out better, and be more recognizable as their individual characters rather that just 'one of the dwarves'. 

Sure, there are going to be differences, and they will piss people off (skyjedi).  But when making a movie based on such a rich and detailed book there's only so much justice that can be done without making a seven hour movie that no one wants to sit through.

The important thing is that the people making the movie (Jackson, his team, Weta digital, etc.) really care about the source material.  They're all huge fans of Tolkien, and I think that's key in making a quality representation of his book.

Author
Time

RedFive said:

In real life it's dwarfs and elfs but in Tolkien's it's dwarves and elves.

You're right.  I can't remember the source for this, but Tolkien basicially threw down with "'Dwarfs' looks dope.  I'm a gonna spell it 'dwarves'" once-upon-a-time.

This was before looking dope was actually still bad and before it was good.

It was also before bad was good and bad was just bad.

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

Hahahaha, I think it was in the preface or intro to Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, which he wrote.  Not sure exactly though..

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Because he wanted to avoid latinisms or frenchisms, aka romance languages and try to reconstruct words found in Germanic tongues.

He was going to use Dwarrows like Grimm but went with Dwarves.

The reason for Elves is plain to see he wanted to distinguish his elves from the small fairies found in late european literature or nursery tale.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

xhonzi is so old he still uses dope.

No, not that dope.

Author
Time

I'm so old I still use that dope.

Wait..

Author
Time

I'm gonna be pissed if Bofur doesn't have many lines, because James Nesbitt is fucking awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

Is Thorin a Klingon?

Don't really like this, but I'm not surprised.  I'll still see the movie(s), I'm sure.

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

Because he wanted to ovoid latinisms or frenchisms...

"ovoid" is my new preferred spelling of "avoid".

Author
Time

Those huge muttons more than make up for it.

I understand that some of them look different than what I, or others, may have pictures, but I think it's cool that each of the dwarves has their own style of sorts, so we can tell them apart.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Imrahil said:

Is Thorin a Klingon?

Don't really like this, but I'm not surprised.  I'll still see the movie(s), I'm sure.

My housemate said the same thing.  Looks a bit like Gowron.

Yet, I like the look.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

Since I just finished the book and am now into Fellowship, my interest in this universe has really spiked.  I'm so stoked that this movie is finally being made.  It will be so dope!

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

It will be so dope!

Utah always has been behind the rest of the country... :p

Author
Time

I'm from AZ!  We're pretty happening here.  We're far out!