logo Sign In

The Armchair Movie Critic thread — Page 2

Author
Time

The black hole made in Vulcan's core doesn't seem very big.

So the mass of the planet plus the singularity wouldn't drastically unbalance the stellar system Vulcan was part of much if at all.

If our sun magically turned into a black hole the solar system wouldn't budge at all.  It would get cold and dark and we would all die but the moon would still orbit the Earth, the Earth would still spin the same rate, even Mercury would stay put.

A supernova threatening a galaxy is a bit of a stretch though.

Gamma ray bursts can be very dangerous to anything in their path but they wouldn't shatter rocky planets like Romulus.

Author
Time

Ah, I'm glad you commented :) I admit that I'm not an expert on all these things. But based on my novice understanding, it seems hard to swallow. I actually have read something agreeing with you completely--that if our sun magically turned into a black hole, the system wouldn't budge because the mass would remain the same. But that's what I find hard to believe. Our sun won't ever magically turn into a black hole because it lacks the mass to do so. If it magically attained the mass to turn into a black hole, then it would indeed swallow our system.

And that's why I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the red matter black holes. The only explanation for a black hole is incredibly massive amounts of gravity. The only creator of gravity that I'm aware of is mass. Where does the mass come from that consumes Vulcan? And if that mass were present, why was it not enough to consume Delta Vega as well? Am I still missing something? It makes sense in my little noggin.

As for the gamma rays, I agree--they could be dangerous to Romulus if close enough, but certainly wouldn't be enough to destroy the planet Death Star-style.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The sun can be turned into a black hole but it can't do it in the traditional manner.

It would require some exterior agency to crush the sun to a sphere with a four mile diameter to become a black hole with the same mass.

Normally stars much more massive than ours collapse in on themselves reaching the requisite density.

Red matter seems to compress existing matter rather than adding more mass and self compressing.

Rewinding to the fate of Romulus, radiation pressure would be a risk even to rocky structures like planets but it would have to be quite close (100 light years or so) even at 300 light years the atmosphere of the planet could be at risk but they would 300 years to figure out a solution.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Some people seem to think that everything that gets sucked into a Red Matter Black Hole travels through time. I think that only super-supernova powered ones have that power. It's not like specks of Vulcan appeared in a random places over centuries.

Also, there is evidence in the comic books that the universe was different before Nero came, so I'm of the opinion that it was already an alternate universe, the characters just assumed that Nero was the tipping point.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

So I did some reading in my free time to better understand the nature of black holes.  I've concluded that if Bingo's hypothesis is right and the red matter compresses existing matter, then indeed it would not increase the gravity in the area and would not affect Delta Vega.  It's a theory that could rectify my dissatisfaction with that aspect in my mind.  However, I still have some problems:

What force is it that sucks up the planet or the supernova?  I always assumed this was the gravity of the black hole, but if it is compressing existing matter, what is it that pulls it in?

Once it has compressed the matter, how would its gravity reach out and grasp anything outside the reach of the red matter's reach?  For instance, if a black hole were created to suck up the supernova, it could not conceivably hope to use the contents of the explosion to create the black hole; it's obviously hoping that the gravity of the black hole will consume the supernova, but if it's not contributing any additional matter, its pull should not be any stronger and thus should be unable to stop the supernova.

The line in the film suggests (though not definitively, so the other interpretation is viable) that the black hole was created and then was consuming Vulcan, not that it used Vulcan to create a black hole.

A different point: even a supernova much less than 100 lightyears would not be enough to blow up Romulus, though it could certainly destroy most are all life by its radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_supernova

Regardless of any of my misunderstandings in relativistic physics, clearly a number of my points stand as scientifically untenable.

005, I agree, I don't think everything travels through time.  I don't think that having it be supernova-powered would make a difference in the real universe, but whatever the explanation in Trek, I believe it was more the exception than the rule.

And I'm glad to hear that about the comics, because even the battle between the Kelvin and the Narada seems to involve very different weaponry than demonstrated in TOS.  Heck, the Kelvin's design even looks very different from any other Starfleet vessel of the time, and it seems that the alternate Enterprise is a continuation of this design.  So I can believe that it was already an alternate universe, and quite honestly I'd prefer in some ways to think of it that way.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The fictional universe of Star Trek (2009) shares continuity with the series Enterprise where political entities from the future were routinely using time travel to alter the past.

If you were to continue the design ethic of the NX-01 Enterprise into the time of the USS Kelvin the over all design does connect.

The continuation of that ethic evolution to the alternate NCC-1701 is also consistent.

The blast wave from a supernova 100 light years away wouldn't shatter Romulus but the radiation pressure from resultant gamma ray bursts could.

Author
Time

Hey, I just said I'm not going to post here, but I think I'll need something to back up the radiation pressure claim.  Everything I've read suggests it would destroy life, but not obliterate the planet itself.  It takes an unbelievable amount of energy to destroy a planet--energy that is quickly diffusing in three dimensions over the lightyears.  But I'm happy to be proven wrong.  Either way, like you said, they would have 100 years to figure something out.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

The fictional universe of Star Trek (2009) shares continuity with the series Enterprise where political entities from the future were routinely using time travel to alter the past.

If you were to continue the design ethic of the NX-01 Enterprise into the time of the USS Kelvin the over all design does connect.

The continuation of that ethic evolution to the alternate NCC-1701 is also consistent.
What's interesting is the evidence that I usually use to show that things were different comes from the "Return of the Archons" comic retelling, where not only is Landru changed from a 6000 year old alien computer intelligence to a 100 year old Federation scientist, but the Archon is shown to be an NX-class ship with JJ-prise nacelles. I would use that to point that Archer's NX-01 was different than the one we saw, but it could be that they refit them with the more ample nacelles later.

Either way, I don't think the JJ-verse was ever the same as the Prime.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Arguably the Enterprise universe is a slightly less tangential one than the JJ one.

There was the OS universe which has multiple futures and there are many near alternates like the Mirror universe and the one where The Enterprise D continued long enough to grow an ugly third nacelle.

That would mean a many worlds approach to time travel resulting in The Whale Probe actually wiping out all life on Earth in their universe because TMP Kirk dropped George and Gracie into an alternate future.

Author
Time

I've eventually come to the opinion that since there are many worlds, we just happen to choose the one each episode in which everything works out for our heroes. Every other universe but the one we follow has everyone dying.

Author
Time

Return of the Jedi

A number of criticisms have already been leveled against what may be my favorite Star Wars film numerous times on this site.  I will probably use some of them, but I will try to generally avoid too much rehash.

1. It was very wise of the Empire not to include any small shafts that led directly to the reactor so the Rebels couldn't repeat the same attack as they had on the first Death Star.  Instead they made a larger shaft directly to the reactor so entire ships could fit.

2. Luke's brilliant plan the rescue Han was to get more and more of his friends captured so...what?  It just made his job harder.  It's not like anyone was in a more valuable position because they were captured, except perhaps R2.  And the only successful and undetected infiltration (Lando) proved rather useless, as he struggled with one guard, got knocked off the skiff, and had to be rescued.

3. How was the smaller Rebel armada with smaller ships able to defeat the much larger Imperial fleet with larger ships, including the Executor, especially with the threat of the Death Star at the rear?  In fact, what happened to the Imperial fleet once the Death Star was ready to explode?  It's like they all just vanished!

4. How big is a legion?  Apparently not as large as its terrestrial counterpart, where a Roman legion was about 5,000 soldiers.  It's hard to believe that the Ewoks could defeat such a force unless they outnumbered them by at least 3:1, even with the element of surprise, given their small size and inferior technology.  In fact, why don't we see very many Ewoks die in comparison to the armored stormtroopers?

5. How big is an Imperial squad?  It must be pretty small as well, since three squads were sent to help in the pursuit of the "routed" Rebels, yet only twelve men emerged from the bunker.

6. Considering the bunker was the prize of the surface battle, and considering two very valuable Rebels were trying to break into that bunker, you'd think that the Imperials would have devoted more effort to trying to kill or capture Leia and Han rather than pursuing the fuzzy little bears till they fell into their traps.  The Ewoks could wait.  The bunker could not!

7. How did Han and Leia stay safe during that battle anyway?  There was only cover from one side.  From the other side they were fish in a barrel, as they were stuck against a wall.

8. What happened to all the B-wing fighters sent into the battle?  They jump to hyperspace, evade the Death Star's shield, and disappear!

9. I understand that CGI was not up for the job of creature creation in 1983, so puppetry was required instead, and some of the puppetry in ROTJ is incredible IMHO (i.e. Jabba).  However, puppets like Max Rebo and Droopy McCool, who look more like plush toys disrupt the illusion, and even did so for me when I was only five.  Not that the CGI that later fleshed out the scene looked much better in the end anyway.

10. Why would a plan like "split up and head back to the surface" successfully distract those stupid TIE pilots?  If the Rebels could tell which way was to the core and which led to the surface, surely the Imperials could too.  And considering the fact that the core is where the all-important reactor is, you think they'd be more determined to protect that instead of pursuing those other fighters.

11. While I don't have a problem with its story function, I can't help but wonder if it would be economically wise to build a second Death Star at all, when the first proved to be extremely costly and ultimately wasteful.

12. Why is Lando made a general?  He was never a member of the Alliance till now?  And don't generals plan land-based missions?  You'd think he'd be the naval equivalent: an Admiral.  Except admirals command entire fleets from a flagship, sort of an objective point where they can provide more broad strategies; they don't personally guide fighters into battle.  So maybe he should be a wing commander.

13. But Han becomes a general.  Okay, he's leading a land force, but...that's not really an army.  General's tend to lead large armies, again usually from an objective POV.  Maybe a lieutenant or a captain would lead a strike force, but a general???  And though Han has certainly helped out the Alliance more than his friend, he only just officially joined since his return from Jabba's palace as well.  It sort of cheapens Rebel ranks a bit.

14. Boba Fett must have been short on business to hang around with Jabba's cronies for 6 months - 1 year after he dropped off his prize.  Maybe one of the SE girls and he were having a little romance that kept him around.  Maybe we could get a spinoff movie centered around that exciting tale.

15. Why is it that no matter from which direction we are viewing the Death Star, it is always the same face looking at us: superlaser to the upper left, incomplete half to the right, even on Endor's surface?

16. Hey, there's an AT-AT on Endor!  Why didn't they use that to fight the Ewoks?

17. The shield bunker logically must have been pretty close to the shield generating dish, the we never see the two in relationship to each other.  Lines like "There's a secret entrance on the other side of the ridge," and facts like the explosion inside the bunker detonated the whole massive dish, lead me to conclude they must be quite close.  That said, Han hardly got any distance from himself and the bunker before it blew, yet we see the whole dish go up in a massive display of pyrotechnics that surely would have killed him, the other commandos, taken out the nearby landing pad, and destroyed any other party that hadn't gotten at least a mile's distance from the generator.

18. "It's a trap!"  So while three dimensional space offers several routes of escape, let's fly right at the Imperial fleet that is only preventing escape in one direction.  Even with Endor interfering, there still were several other directions they could have fled.

19. What is Endor anyway?  Is it the name of the moon, per "forest moon of Endor"?  Or is it the planet, and the Death Star orbits the moon of the planet?  Not very specific, but either way, I'm confused, because all moons have planets, and yet we never see anything resembling a planet!

Actually, I'll play devil's advocate for a moment.  There is something that appears like a planet in a couple of shots from the film.  Could this be the Endor planet?  This is actually a realistic celestial distance.  But why don't we ever see it again, particularly when the Rebel fleet exits hyperspace?  You'd think that from at least that distance it would enter our view.  In the Ewok films we see a much larger object that would also serve well as the planet.  It can't be the same object because it's closer and looks very different from the other candidate.  But it seems even less believable that we wouldn't have seen this when the fleet approached the moon.

Maybe we could use the ROTJ novel's explanation, where we are told that the planet was destroyed eons before.  But a moon without a planet that still orbits the star on its own is a planet in its own right.  My head hurts.

20. As has been noted before, an explosion the size of the Death Star, especially when so close in orbit, would rain complete destruction upon the life below.  Imagine a reactor clearly using unbelievable amounts of energy (it has to fire that planet-exploding superlaser, remember), detonating 2000 km above the surface, hailing down radiation, heat, large and small fragments, and explosive force...it's untenable that without a plantary-capable shield, anything would survive.

21. While the loss of the Death Star and the Emperor would be bad for an evil regime, I find it hard to believe that the whole Empire would collapse.  There were still hundreds or thousands of high ranking, ambitious, ruthless politicians wielding large military forces who could, at the least, hold sizeable portions of the Empire in their grip.  But in the movie, the Empire's capital immediately overthrows the government, and it appears there are no repercussions.

Many of these were thought up by others, but I also had some original or independently identified ideas.  And yet, in spite of it all, I still think that parts of me hold this as my favorite Star Wars flick!

Author
Time

Star Wars isn't science fiction but one suggestion I made on the ROTJ ideas thread was to not destroy the Death Star shield but to switch it to Endor instead.

Also to have the Death Star break it's current orbit to move into a faster firing position.

That way the Death Star would be further away and the bunker shield would protect the Ewoks (while capital ships used tractor beams to get rid of the rest of the debris).

There should be a planet in the sky (I'd make it blue and put a ring system around it to make it look different from Yavin).

It doesn't really effect the story much.

Not like that bloody gaping hole in the Emperor's throne room, WHY? 

Author
Time

Bottomless pits are "in" for big bad guys.  Look at Nero.  Look at the Balrog.  It's cool when you're bad, like you fear nothin'!

Yeah, most of my criticisms here are not to be taken too seriously (though it really was distracting when I watched ST09).  Many of your ideas sprang to mind as I wrote my criticism, including how you handle the shield generator (I was actually thinking of your "snap off" idea) and your Endor Prime (or was that Davnes007?).

I had not heard this "switch to Endor" idea and I like it...seems reasonable if it could be pulled off, and it could be exciting.  Wonder if Ady is interested.

Author
Time

I still prefer snapping the dish off to blowing up the reactor...again.

Is George trying to confess to Three Mile Island, Windscale and Chernobyl?

*GASP!* C O N S P I R A C Y !!!!

Author
Time

Well, I have been negligent!

darth_ender said:

Return of the Jedi

A number of criticisms have already been leveled against what may be my favorite Star Wars film numerous times on this site.  I will probably use some of them, but I will try to generally avoid too much rehash.

1. It was very wise of the Empire not to include any small shafts that led directly to the reactor so the Rebels couldn't repeat the same attack as they had on the first Death Star.  Instead they made a larger shaft directly to the reactor so entire ships could fit.

It was under construction! That would have been closed up before the DSII was finished.

2. Luke's brilliant plan the rescue Han was to get more and more of his friends captured so...what?  It just made his job harder.  It's not like anyone was in a more valuable position because they were captured, except perhaps R2.  And the only successful and undetected infiltration (Lando) proved rather useless, as he struggled with one guard, got knocked off the skiff, and had to be rescued.

Lando's skills in combat were apparently exaggerated during the pre-planning interviews. Otherwise, the plan was simple: Give Jabba several chances to return Captain Solo to his friends as before giving up and killing him. Leia, whose initial purpose seemed to have failed, was instrumental in finishing the Hutt off, entirely thanks to her apparent failure. Chewie was a good way to get Leia and himself in the door, plus he's good in a fight. In fact, the entire part of the plan with him and Leia only made Jabba over confident, which serves Luke well. Threepio's placement is, of course, inexplicable, as discussed elsewhere.

3. How was the smaller Rebel armada with smaller ships able to defeat the much larger Imperial fleet with larger ships, including the Executor, especially with the threat of the Death Star at the rear?  In fact, what happened to the Imperial fleet once the Death Star was ready to explode?  It's like they all just vanished!

If everything had proceeded according to plan, I suspect the fleet would have been significantly crippled by B-Wings. As it stands, though, I am not sure. Perhaps they, recognizing the problems of a totalitarian government with no one in charge, retreated to regroup.

4. How big is a legion?  Apparently not as large as its terrestrial counterpart, where a Roman legion was about 5,000 soldiers.  It's hard to believe that the Ewoks could defeat such a force unless they outnumbered them by at least 3:1, even with the element of surprise, given their small size and inferior technology.  In fact, why don't we see very many Ewoks die in comparison to the armored stormtroopers?

It's well known that stormtroopers are not, despite what Ben seemed to think, very accurate. Perhaps the legion was dispatched throughout the forest to quell the mostly off-screen simultaneous native uprising against multiple outposts.

5. How big is an Imperial squad?  It must be pretty small as well, since three squads were sent to help in the pursuit of the "routed" Rebels, yet only twelve men emerged from the bunker.

Well there you go. An Imperial squad is 12 men.

6. Considering the bunker was the prize of the surface battle, and considering two very valuable Rebels were trying to break into that bunker, you'd think that the Imperials would have devoted more effort to trying to kill or capture Leia and Han rather than pursuing the fuzzy little bears till they fell into their traps.  The Ewoks could wait.  The bunker could not!

No one noticed! Too much chaos. And do you know how hard it is to see out of those helmets?

7. How did Han and Leia stay safe during that battle anyway?  There was only cover from one side.  From the other side they were fish in a barrel, as they were stuck against a wall.

The Force will be with you. Always.

8. What happened to all the B-wing fighters sent into the battle?  They jump to hyperspace, evade the Death Star's shield, and disappear!

From a technical/behind-the-scenes perspective, you know exactly what happened. In-universe, however, the B-wing turned out to be an incredible failure in combat and were quickly all destroyed.

9. I understand that CGI was not up for the job of creature creation in 1983, so puppetry was required instead, and some of the puppetry in ROTJ is incredible IMHO (i.e. Jabba).  However, puppets like Max Rebo and Droopy McCool, who look more like plush toys disrupt the illusion, and even did so for me when I was only five.  Not that the CGI that later fleshed out the scene looked much better in the end anyway.

Your point? Have you ever really looked at Greedo?

10. Why would a plan like "split up and head back to the surface" successfully distract those stupid TIE pilots?  If the Rebels could tell which way was to the core and which led to the surface, surely the Imperials could too.  And considering the fact that the core is where the all-important reactor is, you think they'd be more determined to protect that instead of pursuing those other fighters.

The path to the core was not exactly direct, and point of divergence was ambiguous enough that both groups could have still gone to the core. Only after more turns and forks would it become evident which group was really going in.

11. While I don't have a problem with its story function, I can't help but wonder if it would be economically wise to build a second Death Star at all, when the first proved to be extremely costly and ultimately wasteful.

Well there was a really good plan to trap the Rebels and finish them off once and for all. That made it worth it.

12. Why is Lando made a general?  He was never a member of the Alliance till now?  And don't generals plan land-based missions?  You'd think he'd be the naval equivalent: an Admiral.  Except admirals command entire fleets from a flagship, sort of an objective point where they can provide more broad strategies; they don't personally guide fighters into battle.  So maybe he should be a wing commander.

13. But Han becomes a general.  Okay, he's leading a land force, but...that's not really an army.  General's tend to lead large armies, again usually from an objective POV.  Maybe a lieutenant or a captain would lead a strike force, but a general???  And though Han has certainly helped out the Alliance more than his friend, he only just officially joined since his return from Jabba's palace as well.  It sort of cheapens Rebel ranks a bit.

You assume you know how the Alliance's rank structure works. Perhaps in their military, General is below Admiral, but in the same tree.

14. Boba Fett must have been short on business to hang around with Jabba's cronies for 6 months - 1 year after he dropped off his prize.  Maybe one of the SE girls and he were having a little romance that kept him around.  Maybe we could get a spinoff movie centered around that exciting tale.

Jabba thought it might be a good idea to hire some extra protection, at least until efforts to recover such a well known hero of the Alliance had quieted down a bit.

15. Why is it that no matter from which direction we are viewing the Death Star, it is always the same face looking at us: superlaser to the upper left, incomplete half to the right, even on Endor's surface?

Inexplicable, inexcusable, and obviously ripe for Ady (or anyone, really) to fix.

16. Hey, there's an AT-AT on Endor!  Why didn't they use that to fight the Ewoks?

Too many Imperial structures and personnel in place around the Bunker to use heavy artillery.

17. The shield bunker logically must have been pretty close to the shield generating dish, the we never see the two in relationship to each other.  Lines like "There's a secret entrance on the other side of the ridge," and facts like the explosion inside the bunker detonated the whole massive dish, lead me to conclude they must be quite close.  That said, Han hardly got any distance from himself and the bunker before it blew, yet we see the whole dish go up in a massive display of pyrotechnics that surely would have killed him, the other commandos, taken out the nearby landing pad, and destroyed any other party that hadn't gotten at least a mile's distance from the generator.

I've given this some thought, and I think people greatly underestimate the size of "The Ridge". It seems to me that the back door was the entrance to some kind of important power station, as part of the massive whatever-technobabble-goes-here that must be a part of generating such a bit energy shield. Most of the shield-generator installation is subterranean, built into a mountain ridge - and we even see that ridge right here. It's certainly big enough for their power generation facilities to be inside, although I have no explanation as to why you wouldn't put the dish on top. Perhaps the geology wasn't favorable. Anyway, the film provides us with plenty enough time for Han & Co to get waaay over to the back door on the other side of the ridge, as we have no idea how long it takes the Rebels to get there via Hyperspace, and Luke is just in Imperial custody, awaiting his audience with Palpatine.

Given that the backdoor led directly into power generation, as evidenced by that weird lightning filled horizontal shaft, it's not hard to explain the massive explosion. Blow it up in the right way, and the whole system overloads.

18. "It's a trap!"  So while three dimensional space offers several routes of escape, let's fly right at the Imperial fleet that is only preventing escape in one direction.  Even with Endor interfering, there still were several other directions they could have fled.

What, you just want to cut and run at first sign of Imperial resistance? Besides, once the entire Rebel fleet reveals itself like that, it's much easier to track them if they do escape, allowing for pursuit and destruction. They were safe in a secret location until now.

19. What is Endor anyway?  Is it the name of the moon, per "forest moon of Endor"?  Or is it the planet, and the Death Star orbits the moon of the planet?  Not very specific, but either way, I'm confused, because all moons have planets, and yet we never see anything resembling a planet!

Actually, I'll play devil's advocate for a moment.  There is something that appears like a planet in a couple of shots from the film.  Could this be the Endor planet?  This is actually a realistic celestial distance.  But why don't we ever see it again, particularly when the Rebel fleet exits hyperspace?  You'd think that from at least that distance it would enter our view.  In the Ewok films we see a much larger object that would also serve well as the planet.  It can't be the same object because it's closer and looks very different from the other candidate.  But it seems even less believable that we wouldn't have seen this when the fleet approached the moon.

Maybe we could use the ROTJ novel's explanation, where we are told that the planet was destroyed eons before.  But a moon without a planet that still orbits the star on its own is a planet in its own right.  My head hurts.

Let's just say it's that distant rock, which is perhaps inhospitable in some way (thus use the moon for shield generation), and assume that neither the Ewok films nor the novel are canon. Great.

20. As has been noted before, an explosion the size of the Death Star, especially when so close in orbit, would rain complete destruction upon the life below.  Imagine a reactor clearly using unbelievable amounts of energy (it has to fire that planet-exploding superlaser, remember), detonating 2000 km above the surface, hailing down radiation, heat, large and small fragments, and explosive force...it's untenable that without a plantary-capable shield, anything would survive.

Do you know how many turbolasers the Rebels had available in their fleet? Enough to destroy the big chunks of debris, I bet. They shot all the big pieces into little pieces until it was all harmless-sized.

That's right, I have finally solved the biggest problem people have with ROTJ's logic.

21. While the loss of the Death Star and the Emperor would be bad for an evil regime, I find it hard to believe that the whole Empire would collapse.  There were still hundreds or thousands of high ranking, ambitious, ruthless politicians wielding large military forces who could, at the least, hold sizeable portions of the Empire in their grip.  But in the movie, the Empire's capital immediately overthrows the government, and it appears there are no repercussions.

Just because they had a night of rioting doesn't mean they overthrew the government permanently.

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Most-Egregious-Sci-Fi-Science/post/413018/#TopicPost413018

xhonzi said almost 3 years ago:

Dang!  I know I posted this elsewhere... but Star Trek is sooooo bad.  Obviously Star Wars doesn't have very good "science" but I don't think too many fans or creators claim that it does...  Star Trek is mostly just terrible.

Reverse the polarity!

Eject the Warp Cores!

The 2009 movie was especially bad, but here are my favourite moments:

1. A drop of Red Matter is enough to create a black hole, which instead of compressing matter to a really tiny size, instead opens a time portal to the past.  The later you enter the portal, the further back in time you go.  So what do the Romulans do?  Dig a hole to the center of the planet Vulcan and put a black hole in it?  So wait!  Is Vulcan destroyed, or did it just go back in time?  And black holes... is it really necessary to dig a hole in a planet so a black hole can eat it up?  Or can't they just shoot the black hole at the planet surface and assume the black hole will take care of business!

2. Kirk/Spock/somebody decides that if a drop of Red Matter can destroy the planet Vulcan, that it's a really good idea to SHOOT ALL OF IT at the Romulan mining ship.  Would they really do this, without a clear understanding of the possible conequences?  And wouldn't Spock insist they keep a little of the Red Matter around so they could study it?

3. The resulting black hole is so large that the Enterprise has a really hard time escaping the pull.  Even at Warp 9 (9 times the speed of light, mind you) they are being sucked back into the black hole.  Wait a minute!  Eject the Warp Core!  Yeah, the resulting explosion will propel them out of the pull of the black hole!  Because properly using the warp core will let you travel at 9 times the speed of light... blowing it up will cause an explosion that will propel you, at the least, several hundred miles per hour!

4. Hopefully you created that new black hole a billion light years from home, or else there may be serious consequences for known space.  But... if you ejected the Warp Core to save your ship... I guess you'll have to travel at sublight speeds the rest of the way home.  So, in a billion years when your ship finally gets home, maybe your great^264th grandkids will be able to tell the story.

Thinking man's sci-fi indeed.

Ender said:

8. If xhonzi hates little “wink-wink” lines in The Hobbit and The Dark Knight Rises, he must have really hated the plethora of nods in this film.

I don't hate wink-wink, and I am sorry I gave that impression.  I actually really enjoy wink-wink.

What I don't like is:

WINK-WINK!!!!

^WINK-WINK above if you just missed it.

(WINK-WINK is a reference to someone winking an eye.  Twice.)

((Winking an eye is usually a human signal that means something is clever, or was intended to be clever.  Possibly a reference to an inside joke.))

(((After intercepting this signal, the receiver should try to reinterpret the previous statements or actions with the new information that something potentially 'clever' had occured.)))

((((Basically, what I'm saying is that John Blake is Robin, you know, like that boy in the bikini bottoms from the 1960s.  Pretty clever, eh?))))

(that was a wink-wink, people)

Bingowingo:

Er... I think that's the point.

Bingywingy:

Red matter seems to compress existing matter rather than adding more mass and self compressing.

It's been a while since I last saw this gem of a mess, but don't they make several black holes out in the middle of space... that place with no 'existing matter' to speak of?

Not really a plothole, but another terrible moment in the film:

Vulcan Punks: Hey Spokcy-wocky, you half-human dork!
Spocky-Wocky: Hello, my associates with whom I share 50% of my alien make-up (the ears).
VP: You are dumb!
SW: Your actions are illogical.  You have attempted, without result, 37 times to elicit emotions from me.  Experience, when properly accounted, should inform you that your attempts will never meet success.
VP: Your mom is dumb!
SW: <blind rage>

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

xhonzi said:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Most-Egregious-Sci-Fi-Science/post/413018/#TopicPost413018

xhonzi said almost 3 years ago:

Dang!  I know I posted this elsewhere... but Star Trek is sooooo bad.  Obviously Star Wars doesn't have very good "science" but I don't think too many fans or creators claim that it does...  Star Trek is mostly just terrible.

Reverse the polarity!

Eject the Warp Cores!

The 2009 movie was especially bad, but here are my favourite moments:

1. A drop of Red Matter is enough to create a black hole, which instead of compressing matter to a really tiny size, instead opens a time portal to the past.  The later you enter the portal, the further back in time you go.  So what do the Romulans do?  Dig a hole to the center of the planet Vulcan and put a black hole in it?  So wait!  Is Vulcan destroyed, or did it just go back in time?  And black holes... is it really necessary to dig a hole in a planet so a black hole can eat it up?  Or can't they just shoot the black hole at the planet surface and assume the black hole will take care of business!

2. Kirk/Spock/somebody decides that if a drop of Red Matter can destroy the planet Vulcan, that it's a really good idea to SHOOT ALL OF IT at the Romulan mining ship.  Would they really do this, without a clear understanding of the possible conequences?  And wouldn't Spock insist they keep a little of the Red Matter around so they could study it?

3. The resulting black hole is so large that the Enterprise has a really hard time escaping the pull.  Even at Warp 9 (9 times the speed of light, mind you) they are being sucked back into the black hole.  Wait a minute!  Eject the Warp Core!  Yeah, the resulting explosion will propel them out of the pull of the black hole!  Because properly using the warp core will let you travel at 9 times the speed of light... blowing it up will cause an explosion that will propel you, at the least, several hundred miles per hour!

4. Hopefully you created that new black hole a billion light years from home, or else there may be serious consequences for known space.  But... if you ejected the Warp Core to save your ship... I guess you'll have to travel at sublight speeds the rest of the way home.  So, in a billion years when your ship finally gets home, maybe your great^264th grandkids will be able to tell the story.

Thinking man's sci-fi indeed.

Ender said:

8. If xhonzi hates little “wink-wink” lines in The Hobbit and The Dark Knight Rises, he must have really hated the plethora of nods in this film.

I don't hate wink-wink, and I am sorry I gave that impression.  I actually really enjoy wink-wink.

What I don't like is:

WINK-WINK!!!!

^WINK-WINK above if you just missed it.

(WINK-WINK is a reference to someone winking an eye.  Twice.)

((Winking an eye is usually a human signal that means something is clever, or was intended to be clever.  Possibly a reference to an inside joke.))

(((After intercepting this signal, the receiver should try to reinterpret the previous statements or actions with the new information that something potentially 'clever' had occured.)))

((((Basically, what I'm saying is that John Blake is Robin, you know, like that boy in the bikini bottoms from the 1960s.  Pretty clever, eh?))))

(that was a wink-wink, people)

Bingowingo:

Er... I think that's the point.

Bingywingy:

It's been a while since I last saw this gem of a mess, but don't they make several black holes out in the middle of space... that place with no 'existing matter' to speak of?

Not really a plothole, but another terrible moment in the film:

Vulcan Punks: Hey Spokcy-wocky, you half-human dork!
Spocky-Wocky: Hello, my associates with whom I share 50% of my alien make-up (the ears).
VP: You are dumb!
SW: Your actions are illogical.  You have attempted, without result, 37 times to elicit emotions from me.  Experience, when properly accounted, should inform you that your attempts will never meet success.
VP: Your mom is dumb!
SW:

Spock was bullied as a child. It's referenced in "Journey to Babel", and shown in "Yesteryear", considered one of the best episodes of the animated series and the only TAS segment considered canon for many years.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Red matter never makes black holes like Air Supply make love (out of nothing at all).

The one at the end of the film is the only problem with my proposal for what the Red Goo does. One could argue though that Nero's ship is slowly compressed into a singularity which only looks big because The Enterprise is right next to it.

Author
Time

@Bingo, I wasn't originally a fan of the snapping off dish, but after consideration during the ambitious and futile ROTJ edit project, I really came to like it as well.

@tim, again, nice work, and while I of course don't always agree with everything, it's fun to see the rebuttals. But there is one I have to say you didn't address properly: 12 man squads. That is a typical American-sized squad, but the Imperial ordered "three squads to help," which apparently totaled 12 men. Seems small to me. Otherwise, nice work.

@xhozi, I really am glad you included your post on ST09, as I think more need to contribute to this thread, whether seriously or in jest. Maybe if I slightly rename it, it will get more attention. I see your point about the wink-winks. If they beat you over the head (like the ST09 ones did), then it sure is aggravating. We've been over it before, but I don't have as much of a problem with the Robin one as you. But again, I see your point.

@Frink, where do you sit when you pet your evil minion cat then?

@Wook, I didn't realize that TAS was official canon; I thought it still fell outside of Gene's or Paramount's official universe. Has that changed?

Author
Time

IIRC, it was the only TAS episode considered canon by Gene and several others associated with Trek over the years.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

darth_ender said:

@Frink, where do you sit when you pet your evil minion cat then?

Baltimore.