Author
xhonzi
Parent topic
Most Egregious Sci-Fi "Science"
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/413018/action/topic#413018
Date created
5-May-2010, 5:39 PM

Dang!  I know I posted this elsewhere... but Star Trek is sooooo bad.  Obviously Star Wars doesn't have very good "science" but I don't think too many fans or creators claim that it does...  Star Trek is mostly just terrible.

Reverse the polarity!

Eject the Warp Cores!

The 2009 movie was especially bad, but here are my favourite moments:

1. A drop of Red Matter is enough to create a black hole, which instead of compressing matter to a really tiny size, instead opens a time portal to the past.  The later you enter the portal, the further back in time you go.  So what do the Romulans do?  Dig a hole to the center of the planet Vulcan and put a black hole in it?  So wait!  Is Vulcan destroyed, or did it just go back in time?  And black holes... is it really necessary to dig a hole in a planet so a black hole can eat it up?  Or can't they just shoot the black hole at the planet surface and assume the black hole will take care of business!

2. Kirk/Spock/somebody decides that if a drop of Red Matter can destroy the planet Vulcan, that it's a really good idea to SHOOT ALL OF IT at the Romulan mining ship.  Would they really do this, without a clear understanding of the possible conequences?  And wouldn't Spock insist they keep a little of the Red Matter around so they could study it?

3. The resulting black hole is so large that the Enterprise has a really hard time escaping the pull.  Even at Warp 9 (9 times the speed of light, mind you) they are being sucked back into the black hole.  Wait a minute!  Eject the Warp Core!  Yeah, the resulting explosion will propel them out of the pull of the black hole!  Because properly using the warp core will let you travel at 9 times the speed of light... blowing it up will cause an explosion that will propel you, at the least, several hundred miles per hour!

4. Hopefully you created that new black hole a billion light years from home, or else there may be serious consequences for known space.  But... if you ejected the Warp Core to save your ship... I guess you'll have to travel at sublight speeds the rest of the way home.  So, in a billion years when your ship finally gets home, maybe your great^264th grandkids will be able to tell the story.

Thinking man's sci-fi indeed.