logo Sign In

Info: Starfields - disappearing over time in the Original Trilogy...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There have been various postings over time, commenting on the quality of the starfield backgrounds (or lack thereof) in the various official video releases. Those of us who saw it theatrically seem to recall something better. Many of the restorations here have taken steps to try to improve on this as well. Below is a frame from a 70mm print (courtesy of The Dented Helmut) that shows why they called it “STAR” Wars.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9803/anhhansolo043991600kh1.th.jpg
Full-Res

<span class=“Bold”>Please do not post images wider than 800px, thanks.
-Z</span>

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Zion
It's amazing how much detail is lost from the original film print to the home versions.
I noticed that too, the amount of detail in the falcon is incredible. If the OOT was released on HD DVD, I would buy a hi-def set without hesitation.

I'll have a look at my transfer to see how the stars fared on the PAL version.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
I think stars are noticable better on PAL versions of the movie, but I can't really say anything about that right now, since I didn't saw a complete NTSC ANH transfer yet. Yea its amazing how many detail was lost when transferring the movies to home video The Falcon and that starfield looks incredible, althought the color correction requires some work
.: Revenge of the Jedi 0.83 MS Edition :.
Author
Time
I would love to be able to do a preservation of the 70 mm print on DVD. To bad it aint gonna happen.