logo Sign In

Star Wars - Spirit of '77 (* unfinished project *)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Star Wars: Spirit of '77

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>I can’t say that my fan edit will be the best. But I hope that it is unique enough to be interesting to other fans.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>Imagine, if you will, an alternate timeline. The year is 1980 and The Empire Strikes Back is released. But there is no “Episode V” in that film’s opening crawl. This is because Lucas decides to hedge his bets and just make one sequel at a time. He hopes that if Empire does well, he will make just one more film to round out a nice trilogy. The film is a smash hit and he retakes the director’s chair to make Return of the Jedi. Again, there is no episode number in the opening crawl. For various reasons, not the least of which is criticism that Jedi is not as good as the first two movies, he decides to abandon the idea of making any more sequels. The creation of prequels does not even enter his mind.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>In 1984, his trilogy complete, he decides to go back and re-edit Star Wars. He figures that he owes it to the fans to refine it so that it matches the production quality of the other two movies. He doesn’t add any new special effects shots. He merely cleans it up and refines existing special effects. However, he causes controversey when he decides to add several scenes that were originally cut in the 1977 release. This new edit of Star Wars includes scenes that provide more of Luke’s backstory and his friendship with Biggs Darklighter. This delights many of the die-hard fans who had only heard rumors of these scenes. But it also outrages many other fans. Film critics righteously lambast this “desecration” of a landmark movie and correctly point out that these additional scenes slow down the pace of the film.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>Lucas responds to the outrage and criticisms with profuse apologies. He subsequently releases a new version of Star Wars that is the same as the 1977 theatrical version but has the minor cosmetic improvements that only the most dedicated fans notice.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>My fan edit, which I call Spirit of '77, is that controvertial 1984 edit from this imaginary alternate timeline. The reason I call it Spirit of '77 is that it keeps as close to that original version with only the addition of existing footage from that original shoot. It is meant to have a nostalgic appeal to life-long fans who have been curious for decades about those deleted scenes.</span>

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>Here are the major features of my fan edit:</span>

• <span>The Treadwell scene featuring Luke observing the space battle from the surface of Tattoine using macrobinoculars.</span>
  • <span>The Tosche Station scene featuring Luke and some of his friends including Biggs Darklighter.</span>
  • <span>The scene where Biggs confides in Luke his plan to join the Rebellion.</span>
  • <span>The Jabba scene where the ganster confronts Solo in docking bay 94. Realistically, it doesn’t make sense to include this based on my stated parameters because that level of CGI technology didn’t exist in 1984. But I’m including it anyway since that scene was originally supposed to be in the movie. Just pretend that they used really good stop-motion animation. I might reconsider including this scene. Then again, this is supposed to be an apocryphal edit from an imaginary timeline.</span>
  • <span>The scene where Biggs reunites with Luke before the final battle.</span>

I plan to incorperate a few other shots that were cut. And I’ll lift a few bits and pieces from the Special Edition. I’ll make a concise list of those changes as I work on the project. I also need to research what many other fan edits have done. But for now, I just wanted to state my offical intent to create a fan edit.

<span style=“line-height: 14px;”>This project will incorporate the footage from my</span> <span style=“color: #c2cdd2; font-family: verdana, geneva, arial, helvetica, ‘sans serif’; line-height: 16px; background-color: #484e5e;”>clean-up and restoration of deleted scenes project.</span>

Star Wars: Spirit of '77 fan edit project.

Clean-up and restoration of deleted scenes project.

Author
Time

i look forward to seeing this! i like the idea of multiple versions of any star wars film.

you should call it the APOCRYPHAL CUT perhaps?

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

Maybe find a stopmotion guy to make the stopmotion Jabba head that never was....

Maybe not.

I considered doing the animation myself. I have the skill and the means to do it. But Jabba was established to be a big, fat slug in Jedi. And since this is a sort of "director's cut" created in a fictional 1984 from an alternate timeline, using the Special Edition scene might not look out of place.

Although the idea of creating a CGI slug Jabba so that he looks like he was done with stop-motion is a possibility. It would certainly make my fan edit very unique. But I think it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps if I collaborated with the folks who do Robot Chicken? Ha! That would be funny.

Author
Time

ben_danger said:

i look forward to seeing this! i like the idea of multiple versions of any star wars film.

you should call it the APOCRYPHAL CUT perhaps?

I look forward to seeing, too! In fact, I've been wanting to see it since I first learned about those deleted scenes from the Star Wars Storybook, bubblegum cards, Bantha Tracks newsletters, or wherever else I heard about them back in the late '70s and early '80s.

Calling it the Apocryphal Cut is a nice idea but it sounds a little negative. I thought Spirit of '77 was nice because it hearkens back to popular slogans from the previous year, 1976, which was the bicentennial of the USA.

Author
Time

I had very similar idea for an edit, so I can't wait to see your work.

I have some bad news, however. I tried to recreate the missing dialogue from the scene where Biggs and Luke reunite on Yavin amd it seems the footage on BluRay and the shot used in the SE are completely different takes of the same shot. And of course the BluRay doesn't feature the shot in full. Thus I am afraid this scene can't be put back where it belongs...

Author
Time

This does sound like a great fan edit. It's always cool to see alternative cuts of Star Wars. This would be a curious form of Star Wars with some extended scenes. How do you plan to refine the effects?

I do have one suggestion. For Jabba, you should most definitely use the 1997SE version, as opposed to the updated one. Some motion degrading and it could make a believable stop motion creature.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There's the hologram thing (Bingowings?) mentioned before. I suppose that would fall under the rubric of things GL might have considered between '77 and '84.