logo Sign In

JOHN WILLIAMS: Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Remastered/Remixed Edition (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Now this is NOT the same as ABC’s stellar reconstructions of the Trilogy scores, The majority of the sources used were from the Anthology discs,  and bits from the SE discs that were not on the anthology.

This edition takes all the material and presents it as recorded, for instance

1. The love theme statement in Speeder Bike Chase/Land of the Ewoks is edited out and restored to its intended place in “Han Solo Returns”

2. The “Jabba More Sinister” insert is excised from the track “Luke Confronts Jabba” and presented as its own track.

3. The Inserts edited together in the opening of the track "The Lightsaber"is presented in its proper placement in “The Emperor Arrives”

4. The Insert in The Ewok Battle is restored via Blu-Ray Rip.

5. The “Brother and Sister” skip is smoothed out.

6. The Original Version of several cues are presented.

7. The Film take of the end credits is presented

8. The Theatrical version cues are used in the main presentation, the SE cues are presented as alternates.

Equalization has been applied to all cues to bring out the harsh quality of the brass, and brighten the sound to remove the muddled and fuzzy sound of the original CD, I believe you will find that it brings the scores sound into the same realm of sound of the great Williams scores of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the like, and make a galaxy far far away sound a little closer.

Tracklist:

**Disc 1

1. Fox Fanfare (0:14)
2. Main Title/Approaching the Death Star/Vader Contacts Luke/The Iron Door (9:19)
3. Jabba’s Harp Source (3:03)
4. My Favorite Decoration (1:17)
5. Jabba’s Prisoners (2:50)
6. Jabba’s Sail Barge (Part 1) [Source] (0:51)
7. Han Solo Returns (Film Version) (3:58)
8. Jabba More Sinister (0:40)
9. A Strange Visitor/Fight In The Dungeon/The Sentence (8:20)
10. Jabba’s Sail Barge (Part 2) [Source] (1:22)
11. The Sarlaac Pit/The Return of the Jedi (6:03)
12. The Emperor Arrives/The Death of Yoda/Ben and Luke on Log/The Rebel Fleet (10:59)
13. Battle Plans (2:10)
14. Faking the Code (4:12)
15. Jungle Encounter/After The Bike Chase/Enter The Ewok/More Trouble/More Ewoks Emerge (9:18)
16. Ewok Drums 1/Using The Force/Bedtime Stories/Ewok Drums 2 (6:40)

Disc 2

1. Parade of the Ewoks (Concert Suite) (3:30)
2. Luke and Leia (Concert Suite) (4:49)
3. Brother and Sister/Father Meets Son/Finding An Entrance/Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok (10:42)
4. The Emperor Confronts Luke (3:29)
5. Into The Trap/Rebel Forces Captured/First Ewok Battle/Fight With The Fighters (12:02)
6. The Emperor Provokes Luke/The Ewok Battle (3:54)
7. Leia Is Wounded/Luke and Vader Duel/The Battle Rages/More Duel/Into The Death Star/The Emperor’s Death (10:09)
8. Space Battle/Darth Vader’s Death/Through The Flames (6:07)
9. Leia Breaks The News/Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Original) (2:26)
10. Freedom/End Credits (7:58)
11. Fox Fanfare (Long Version) (0:22)
12. Main Title/Approaching The Death Star (1983 Album Mix) (5:13)
13. Lapti Nek (Film Version Vocal-less) (1:55)
14. Lapti Nek (Remix 1) (5:26)
15. Lapti Nek (Remix 2) (6:51)
16. Lapti Nek (Album Version) (2:53)
17. Jedi Rocks (Special Edition Revision) (2:45)
18. Han Solo Returns (Original) (4:00)
19. Jabba The Hutt (Concert Suite) (3:50)
20. The Return of the Jedi (Alternate) (5:06)
21. The Emperor Arrives (Original) (2:05)
22. Luke and Vader Duel (Without Overlay) (2:25)
23. Space Battle (Reconstructed Version 1) (2:06)
24. Space Battle (Reconstructed Version 2) (2:08)
25. Space Battle (Blu-Ray Rip Version) (1:54)
26. Leia Breaks The News/Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Film Version) (2:30)
27. Freedom/End Credits (Alternate) (4:28)
28. Victory Celebration (Special Edition Revision)/End Credits (8:25)
29. The Forest Battle (Concert Suite) (4:07)_**

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3kuxSlGyo&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm9tz5crXp4

John Williams score to Return of the Jedi Remastered/Remixed:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/JOHN-WILLIAMS-Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-Remastered-Edition/topic/14606/page/1/

Author
Time

I'm always down for a new attempt at this score.  Thanks for committing to it!  I'm an audio guy myself, and I love bringing vinyl and other things into digital.  It'll be interesting to hear what you've got for sure.  Is this going to be FLAC?

It’s really sad when the “creative minds” behind something we hold dear are also guilty of its destruction.

Author
Time

Then maybe WAV?  It would be a pity if it were only mp3.

It’s really sad when the “creative minds” behind something we hold dear are also guilty of its destruction.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

the final version will be in FLAC.

Here is a video comparing the 1997 SE discs with this set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3kuxSlGyo&list=UUpiSKptlUDyEs_fNzZusKDg&index=1&feature=plcp

for clarity, this is the sound I am kind of going for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8I4hra7PeQ

constructive
criticism would be welcome

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/JOHN-WILLIAMS-Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-Remastered-Edition/topic/14606/page/1/

Author
Time

fishmanlee said:

the final version will be in FLAC.

Here is a video comparing the 1997 SE discs with this set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3kuxSlGyo&list=UUpiSKptlUDyEs_fNzZusKDg&index=1&feature=plcp

for clarity, this is the sound I am kind of going for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8I4hra7PeQ

constructive
criticism would be welcome

Fishman: I've always HATED the 'muddled and fuzzy' quality of the original Jedi score! And love that you're going for a "Raiders" style sound. So far, I love what you've done with it SQ-wise! It sounds like a normal John Williams 80's score SHOULD sound like! And obviously so; didn't even give it a close listen. Though I would prefer a version that wasn't about getting the 'film cut' (e.g. I quite like "The Emperor Arrives" as presented on the soundtrack even if it a good bit of it was cut out for the film). Still - it's amazing that you're talking this on! I'll be sure to post any bit of 'constructive criticism' I can come up with, and will try to help any other was I can!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

Author
Time

I've always wanted to cobble together a film-accurate version of The Emperor Arrives, including the bit at the end from The Emperor's Throne Room, but I never got around to doing it.  I like what I hear so far!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

bilditup1 said:

Though I would prefer a version that wasn't about getting the 'film cut' (e.g. I quite like "The Emperor Arrives" as presented on the soundtrack even if it a good bit of it was cut out for the film). Still - it's amazing that you're talking this on! I'll be sure to post any bit of 'constructive criticism' I can come up with, and will try to help any other was I can!

I have it the original way on the 2nd disc in the extras section..

the reason I used the film insert, is because Williams wrote that, and intended it to be used in that spot, due to the original not being what the producers/director wanted.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Why are you using the short version of the Fox Fanfare, or rather an edit of the Cinemascope version?  And the SE music from Jabba's Palace?  I'm guessing this isn't a restoration of the original then.  I'm still interested in hearing your final result for The Emperor Arrives.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

fishmanlee said:

bilditup1 said:

Though I would prefer a version that wasn't about getting the 'film cut' (e.g. I quite like "The Emperor Arrives" as presented on the soundtrack even if it a good bit of it was cut out for the film). Still - it's amazing that you're talking this on! I'll be sure to post any bit of 'constructive criticism' I can come up with, and will try to help any other was I can!

I have it the original way on the 2nd disc in the extras section..

the reason I used the film insert, is because Williams wrote that, and intended it to be used in that spot, due to the original not being what the producers/director wanted.

I see; I was under the impression that it was tracked in from someplace else or just truncated a la Phantom Menace (which as we all know was butchered).

Also: sorry for not paying close attention to your initial description!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nearsighted Scrappile said:

Why are you using the short version of the Fox Fanfare, or rather an edit of the Cinemascope version?  And the SE music from Jabba's Palace?  I'm guessing this isn't a restoration of the original then.  I'm still interested in hearing your final result for The Emperor Arrives.

I apologize for missing this post.

I have the OOT cues in the main presentation, and the SE celebration music in the extras.

Changed the tracklist.

Author
Time

The links are all dead.

Author
Time

The links I got were for Disc One, Disc Two remains unreleased, at least not to me. Didn't get a chance to listen to Disc One just yet.

-e

Author
Time

Can you PM them to me?  Every single one I have does not exist.

Author
Time

Nearsighted Scrappile said:

Can you PM them to me?  Every single one I have does not exist.

Sorry about that, I was afraid this would happen, I'll PM the second disc, and hopefully Bilditup1 will be able to get the whole thing onto the spleen.

Author
Time

I'm on it, captain!

Author
Time

What was sent has all of the tracks listed above for Disc Two, but they seem to have been numbered incorrectly, as there are no tracks 11, 13, or 16:

(console output)

01 Parade of the Ewoks (Concert Suite).mp3

02 Luke and Leia (Concert Suite).mp3

03 Brother and Sister-Father Meets Son-Finding An Entrance-Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace-Heroic Ewok.mp3

04 The Emperor Confronts Luke.mp3

05 Into The Trap-Rebel Forces Captured-First Ewok Battle-Fight With The Fighters.mp3

06 The Emperor Provokes Luke-The Ewok Battle.mp3

07 Leia Is Wounded-Luke and Vader Duel-The Battle Rages-More Duel-Into The Death Star-The Emperor's Death.mp3

08 Space Battle-Darth Vader's Death-Through The Flames.mp3

09 Leia Breaks The News-Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Original).mp3

10 Freedom-End Credits.mp3

12 Lapti Nek (Film Version Vocal-less).mp3

14 Lapti Nek (Remix 1).mp3

15 Lapti Nek (Remix 2).mp3

17 Lapti Nek (Album Version).mp3

18 Jedi Rocks.mp3

19 Han Solo Returns (Original).mp3

20 Han Solo Returns (Alternate Ending).mp3

21 The Return of the Jedi (Alternates).mp3

22 The Emperor Arrives (Original).mp3

23 Space Battle (Reconstructed).mp3

24 Leia Breaks The News-Funeral Pyre For A Jedi (Film Version).mp3

25 Freedom-End Credits (Alternate).mp3

26 Victory Celebration-End Credits.mp3

27 The Forest Battle (Concert Suite).mp3

I'm gonna go ahead and renumber them before uploading.