logo Sign In

Harmy's THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Despecialized Edition HD - V2.0 - MKV & AVCHD (Released) — Page 117

Author
Time

Now I'm just waiting for a dance re-mix of the probe droid sound fx.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi everybody, I have just downloaded the AVCHD version of ESB DeEd 2.0 and it's giving me some problems.  The iso isn't corrupted because I checked the md5sum.

When I mount the iso (with WinCDEmu mounter) and then open the virtual driver with MPC-HC (either by selecting "Open DVD/BD", " Open disc" or just by manually opening /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts), the movie starts, but as soon as I try to change the audio or video track or I select one of the available subtitles, or I just jump to another part of the movie, then either MPC-HC freezes or only the audio is playing.

If I try VLC, then the video appears corrupted for 1-2 seconds and then it corrects itself, but at the end of the credits (when the original credits finishes and Harmy's custom credits fades in) the audio repeats the last seconds over and over.

TSMuxer doesn't detect the chapters.  I needed to copy them from an earlier post written by Harmy in this thread.  And yet in MKVmerge they still doesn't appear *sigh*

Oh, did I say the final mkv also has the same problems as the iso?  Except that this time it either freezes in both MPC-HC and VLC, or it starts playing the opening (without sound) or more weird things happens.  And of course no chapters :/

EDIT: For the mkv I applied the 42ms delay in MkkVmerge as suggested by other users.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, or what's the problem with the iso.  Any help?

PD: Love the new despecialized shots with the older, original special effects and colors, and the better image quality.  That's an impressive dedication and love for the film, all for free.  Thank you Harmy for the awesome stuff.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rox64 said:

If I try VLC, then the video appears corrupted for 1-2 seconds and then it corrects itself, but at the end of the credits (when the original credits finishes and Harmy's custom credits fades in) the audio repeats the last seconds over and over.

I can't really address most of your other problems, because I didn't download the AVCHD. But VLC does this for every .m2ts I've ever opened with it, on any PC I've tried with. Even those straight from (decrypted) blu-rays that work flawlessly when run as a disc.

Author
Time

Oh well, I never use VLC (I'm a MPC-HC user), I only downloaded VLC to see if MPC-HC was buggy.  But nope, both freezes or give problems in the same scenarios.  I could try other media player but I guess the problem resides in the iso.

Nevertheless, it's good to know that's a usual problem with VLC.

Author
Time

Why would you even try to watch the AVCHD on a computer?  Isn't the whole point of that format to put HD on a physical DVD9?

Author
Time

Well since Harmy will eventually release v2.5 sooner or later and since I personally didn't care about the italian, french, castillian  etc... tracks, I sticked with the AVCHD.

Author
Time

Rox64 said:

Oh well, I never use VLC (I'm a MPC-HC user), I only downloaded VLC to see if MPC-HC was buggy.  But nope, both freezes or give problems in the same scenarios.  I could try other media player but I guess the problem resides in the iso.

I would try re-encoding the ISO using handbrake to either a mkv or mp4.  Probably won't solve the problem, but I'm not sure what else you can do at this point.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rox64 said:

I accidentally left too long of a quote in my last post. The garbage that shows up at the start happens for every m2ts for me (and whenever you skip ahead in the video). What's going on at the end is another story.

Remuxing to mkv eliminates the problem for me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JT 1138 said:

Rox64 said:

I would try re-encoding the ISO using handbrake to either a mkv or mp4.  Probably won't solve the problem, but I'm not sure what else you can do at this point.

But as far as I know, Handbrake's re-encoding isn't lossless, or am I wrong?

I have tried a new version of MPC-HC.  It cannot render the iso when mounted, and if you manually open the m2ts it plays the video, but there's no sound.

I don't understand anything. EDIT: I tried remuxing it with MKVmerge without using TSMuxer.  Again, no success.

Author
Time

Rox64 said:

JT 1138 said:

Rox64 said:

But as far as I know, Handbrake's re-encoding isn't lossless, or am I wrong?

I have tried a new version of MPC-HC.  It cannot render the iso when mounted, and if you manually open the m2ts it plays the video, but there's no sound.

I don't understand anything. EDIT: I tried remuxing it with MKVmerge without using TSMuxer.  Again, no success.

Handbrake can do lossless encoding by putting the RF value at 0, but takes a century and a half to encode.

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

Handbrake can do lossless encoding by putting the RF value at 0, but takes a century and a half to encode.

And it's not a very useful thing to do:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ConstantQuality

https://mattgadient.com/2013/06/20/comparing-x264-rf-settings-in-handbrake-examples/

Author
Time

Well Handbrake worked, and it produced a nearly 16GB mkv file (with default settings) with no sound. And then I merged it with the sound tracks of the iso.

But then I would download the mkv version, which has more sound tracks for the same size.

So I'm not sure if at this point I should demux the output mkv Handbrake made, and compress the video track, and then merge the audio tracks.  And somehow preserve the chapters.

*sigh* I think downloading the mkv would be easier, unless someone has an idea.

Thanks for the replies.

Author
Time

Well, I actually meant I posted a reply in the wrong thread and then edited it but yeah, maybe this should go into the technical discussion sub-forum.

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

Ahem...

Harmy said:

Wrong thread.

He finally took the hint. Frink can have his thread back.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

It's about time.  My other 2,342 threads had a this-thread-shaped hole in their collective heart.

Author
Time

Hey Harmy, I've been watching the 2013 DCP and I want to ask: Did you use it as reference for colour timing V2.0? Because the Hoth scenes more or less match.

Author
Time

So you're saying you pretty much trusted your instincts? Impressive, most impressive.

Author
Time

If you are having trouble getting into myspleen to get the torrent, google this 21F2F05BBC202FFFE703E0C21FF0600058553752 and you'll find it.

Author
Time

Rox64 said:

Hi everybody, I have just downloaded the AVCHD version of ESB DeEd 2.0 and it's giving me some problems.  The iso isn't corrupted because I checked the md5sum.

When I mount the iso (with WinCDEmu mounter) and then open the virtual driver with MPC-HC (either by selecting "Open DVD/BD", " Open disc" or just by manually opening /BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts), the movie starts, but as soon as I try to change the audio or video track or I select one of the available subtitles, or I just jump to another part of the movie, then either MPC-HC freezes or only the audio is playing.

TSMuxer doesn't detect the chapters.  I needed to copy them from an earlier post written by Harmy in this thread.  And yet in MKVmerge they still doesn't appear *sigh*

Oh, did I say the final mkv also has the same problems as the iso?  Except that this time it either freezes in both MPC-HC and VLC, or it starts playing the opening (without sound) or more weird things happens.  And of course no chapters :/

EDIT: For the mkv I applied the 42ms delay in MkkVmerge as suggested by other users.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, or what's the problem with the iso.  Any help?

PD: Love the new despecialized shots with the older, original special effects and colors, and the better image quality.  That's an impressive dedication and love for the film, all for free.  Thank you Harmy for the awesome stuff.

makemkv should be able to rip losslessly (and preserving chapters) to an mkv file.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Why would you even try to watch the AVCHD on a computer?  Isn't the whole point of that format to put HD on a physical DVD9?

I watch everything on a computer.

It happens to be a media computer attached to my 65 inch TV, but it is still a computer.

Do people still use DVD/Bluray players do they? How quaint!

Author
Time

nickr said:

TV's Frink said:

Why would you even try to watch the AVCHD on a computer?  Isn't the whole point of that format to put HD on a physical DVD9

Do people still use DVD/Bluray players do they? How quaint!

Generally they're the people that AVCHD is geared for.