logo Sign In

Guide to convert the GOUT DVD from 4:3 to 16:9 using freeware-tools

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For the encoding I will use the script from g-force who made a great work with his avisynth-script.

First install Avisynth. You get it from here. Make sure that you use the latest version of avisynth, otherwise you might get some errors.

Then download the avisynth-plugins that are needed. The links for them are postet here.

To make it easier, I postet a zip-folder with the needed plugins here. Copy all the plugins into you Avisynth-pluginfolder. Important: the fftw3.dll mustn't be copied into your avisynth-folder, you have to copy this .dll into your system32 folder. This is a subfolder in your windows-folder located on "C:\".

Next rip the GOUT on your HDD. I use DVD Fab Decrypter for that. You get it here.

Open the disc, make sure to copy "full disc" and specify the destination on your HDD. Do not delete the ripped files until everything is finished. You will need the files again at the end.

After ripping is finished, you need to demux the DVD-streams. We use PgcDemux from here.

Open the original Video_TS folder of you ripped GOUT-DVD and choose "VTS_03_0.IFO".

Select "by PGC", select "demux video stream", "demux all audio streams", "demux all subpic streams" and "create CellTimes.txt". Unselect "create logfile", and unselect "create a PGC VOB".

Specify the output folder. I created a new folder, called "demuxed". Then hit "process".

After processing is done you open DGMPGDec. It is available from here. This little app is in a zipped folder. In this folder you find a "DGDecode.dll". You must now copy this .dll into your Avisynth-pluginfolder too.

Open DGIndex, hit "file", "open" and browse for the m2v file in your demuxed folder you created earlier. A window pops up, hit "ok" hit "file" and "save project". Specify a project name (I choose ANH) and specify the destination. I save this "ANH.d2v" in my "demuxed" folder.

IMPORTANT: If you use the NTSC-DVD for your encoding, hit "Video", "Field Operation", "Force Film". If you use the PAL-DVD as source, change nothing here.

Now the script created by g-force comes in. You can get it here. G-force made a real good job and a watchable OOT available for everybody.

Copy the script that is posted there in your editor. In the script you read:

"PAL = false       # <-----Set to false for NTSC, true for PAL"

Here I change the "false" into "true" because I use the PAL-source. If you use the NTSC-source, change nothing there.

A few lines later you read in the script:

"Mpeg2Source("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\Scripts\VTS_03_1.d2v") # <-----Set path"

Here you specify the direktion, where the ANH.d2v is located, that you created a few steps before.

Later in the script you read:

########## subtitle stage
delay = sw_frame_no-689
f     = "Franklin Gothic Medium Cond"
f_col = $ffffff
f_wid = 10
f_pos = PAL==false ? 464 : 557
f_siz = PAL==false ?  38 : 46

Subtitle ("Going somewhere, Solo?",
\ -1,f_pos,70663+delay,70698+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("It’s too late. You should have paid him when you had the chance.",
\ -1,f_pos,70825+delay,70931+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("Jabba’s put a price on your head so large...",
\ -1,f_pos,70940+delay,71005+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("...every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you.",
\ -1,f_pos,71014+delay,71088+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("I’m lucky I found you first.",
\ -1,f_pos,71098+delay,71137+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.",
\ -1,f_pos,71203+delay,71282+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("Jabba’s through with you.",
\ -1,f_pos,71365+delay,71406+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("He has no time for smugglers...",
\ -1,f_pos,71435+delay,71489+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("...who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.",
\ -1,f_pos,71498+delay,71595+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("You can tell that to Jabba. He may only take your ship.",
\ -1,f_pos,71656+delay,71748+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("That’s the idea.",
\ -1,f_pos,71806+delay,71833+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)
Subtitle ("I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time.",
\ -1,f_pos,71843+delay,71931+delay,f,f_siz,f_col,font_width=f_wid)

I delete these lines, because I want to make a DVD with selectable subtitles. If you want hard encoded subtitles, change nothing here.

Then save this file as ANH.avs.

Next use HCencoder from here.

Here you can see the maintab of HCEnc:

Open the ANH.avs you have created with the first button.

Specify the destination of your new encoded .m2v-file with the second button and destination for your log-file with the third button. Select "best".

Next we have to make a bitrate-calculation. I choose VideoCalc from here.

I want to make a DL-disc and use average (kb/s) "8680" and maximum (kb/s) "9224".

Open settings1 tab and choose "progressive".

Hit "encode". Be patient, encoding is very slooooooow.

Ok, encoding is finished.

We have to remux the streams. I'm using the DVD-authoring from Rejig avaiable here for muxing:

Browse for the new encoded .m2v on the video-button.

Select the earlier demuxed audiostreams, located in your "demuxed" folder.

Insert all the audiostreams from the GOUT here, make sure, that they are in the same order as on the original DVD. Do the same on the subpicture button, if you decided to make a DVD with selectable subtitles. If you made a DVD with hard encoded subtitles  you don't need to insert here anything.

Hit "browse for original IFO". This is important, otherwise the (selectable) subtitles will be green. Here you see that it is important, not to delete the ripped Video_TS folder until the whole thing is finished here.

Hit the Scene changes/Chapters button and browse for the Celltime.txt file created by PCGDemux. This file should be located in your "demuxed" folder.

Then specify the output-folder. I made a folder called "authored". Hit "create".

If you want a DVD that has the same menu like the same GOUT, you can replace the new , improved 16:9 video on your original GOUT as described here. You can start with step 6 there.

I hope this helps.

Everybody feel free to make additions to this guide as I'm not sure, if it is the best.

I hope, g-force's avisynth-script together with this little guide makes a watchable GOUT available for everybody.

Author
Time

good job,

thanks for posting this to help people.

later

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time

by the way, hcgui is up to 2.3, with a lot more options,

you may want to look into that..

also, it looks like you're using a pre-cropped video to start out with?

and not the standard GOUT video..

later

Author
Time
 (Edited)

No, I use the standard GOUT video, nothing is cropped before I encode.

Sure, this pic is from an older version of the HCEnc. I couldn't find a pic that is up to date. I thought the most important settings can be seen here, although the actual GUI of HCEnc looks a littlebit different than shown above, I choosed this pic.

Author
Time

another point...

why do you demux the audio using  PgcDemux?

when i used DGMPGdec it automatically creates

an MP3, and ac3/wav version of the audio.....

is that redundant?

later

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I wanted to create a DVD with selectable subtitles. So when I demux with PGCDemux I get the subtitles and can remux them with the audiotracks and the new encoded video in Rejig.

You could probably demux the audio with DGMPGdec. I haven't tried it so I don't recommend it.  What I describe here is the way how I did my encodings and I hope this guide helps the people who have no experience in doing encodings to get their watchable GOUT. Any suggestions for easier ways to do this encodings are most welcome here.

Author
Time

Have now gone through this process, and run into a couple of weird snags, maybe you guys have some idea what's happening.  Ripped to HD, no problem.  Demuxed, indexed, script run, remuxed, no problem.  Except that the video cuts from the trash compactor to the rebel hangar.  Go back to demuxed streams...yup, audio and video jump ahead, and the whole movie looks like 1:42 and change.  Okay, try to re-demux with Vobedit instead of PGCDemux.  Looks okay, whole movie in various players, looks like 2:20, which is weird since all the alternate audio tracks I've readied to drop in only run about 2:01.  Hmmm.  So delete everything back to the ripped files, and demux again.  Same result, 2 hours, twenty minutes, and the restored mono, the ripped faces, and ISOMix's isolated score AC3's all look like just over 2 hours. Any thoughts on what's happening here?

Author
Time

Sounds like the problem is either in ripping the VOBs from the disc to the HDD, or demuxing the video/audio.

As mentioned in this thread, running time should be 2h 01m. Check your demuxed files.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Too weird.  The ripped files are fine when played in any software dvd player; 2:01 right where it should be.  PGC sees the files in 3_0 as being 2:01, but ALWAYS demuxes the streams missing a number of chapters in the same place, resulting in 1:42.  Vobedit does weird things too, so that doesn't look like a solution.  This might sound idiotic, but what about dragging all the VOBs into MPEG Video Wizard DVD and rendering a single file from there?  Or running them through a rebuild in DVDShrink?  They show as being 2:01 when assembled, and since it's not an encoder, it shouldn't do anything other than a stream copy.  Does it have a tendancy to drop frames when joining VOBS like that which would crop up later?

Author
Time

I started with DVDDecrypter actually, that's how I did the rip to HDD.  Trying the result of DVDSHRINK now, hopefully a new set of IFOs and VOBs resolves it.

Author
Time

I wish I could help, but I have no idea. Mine worked fine so far. I ripped the files with DVDFab Decrypter, and demuxed with Rejig. I had no problems.

Author
Time

I converted my GOUT DVD (PAL) from 4:3 to 16:9 using DVD Rebuilder Pro.

I truly admire your technical knowledge because this stuff is way over my head ;-)

In DVD Rebuilder Pro there is an option to do it automatically so all you have to do is

check a checkbox and after tweaking some encoding and output setting you end up with

an .iso file that's the exact same GOUT DVD with menu and languages and the only difference

being that it has 16:9 anamorphic video.

If anyone is interested I'll gladly post a step by step guide. The results were excellent  but I'm no

were near as skilled as the guys above me ;-)

Author
Time

I am very interested on a step by step guide. Furthermore, I'd like know how can be cropped the upper and lower black bars that are often present in DVD 4:3.

Author
Time

@ blukibuken

DVD Rebuilder, one check box and you're sorted.

Dr. M

Author
Time

I'm just making a first attempt at converting my ESB disc to 16:9 - this is a great guide, really useful. Just one or two questions, though -

In the HCgui settings it's advised to 'Open settings1 tab and choose "progressive"'. Presumably this only applies to NTSC sources? Only it seemed that the original demonstration was actually based on a PAL disc, so it seems a strange thing to suggest...

Also, VobBlanker is recommended for reintegrating the new video into the old menu structure. I've had a look, and the 'replace' option seems to need an IFO file for the new stream - does the HCgui encoder actually produce one of these, alongside the converted video?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Author
Time
alfa2co said:

I am very interested on a step by step guide. Furthermore, I'd like know how can be cropped the upper and lower black bars that are often present in DVD 4:3.

As I'm not an expert in avisynth-scripting I woud suggest to post this question here.

Sorry.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Jonno said:

I'm just making a first attempt at converting my ESB disc to 16:9 - this is a great guide, really useful. Just one or two questions, though -

In the HCgui settings it's advised to 'Open settings1 tab and choose "progressive"'. Presumably this only applies to NTSC sources? Only it seemed that the original demonstration was actually based on a PAL disc, so it seems a strange thing to suggest...

Also, VobBlanker is recommended for reintegrating the new video into the old menu structure. I've had a look, and the 'replace' option seems to need an IFO file for the new stream - does the HCgui encoder actually produce one of these, alongside the converted video?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have done my encodings only with the PAL-DVD so I have no idea about your "progressive" on settings1 tab question.

Once you have authored the video with the audio and the subpics using Rejig there is a new (second) created Video_TS folder that contains a new IFO file. Vobblanker uses this IFO file automatically.

Author
Time

Ah, thanks. You did make a reference to the 'progressive' setting in your first post, but I guess that's just a remnant from a different tutorial...

I missed the point about Rejig - great, I'll try that! It would have been nice to put together my own author/menus for this, but since there's nothing new I can add to the ESB project (at least, no mythic alternative soundtracks in the same vein as Star Wars) it doesn't really seem worth it.

Author
Time

Since the source is frame-based, you would want to enable "progressive" encoding for both PAL and NTSC encodes.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

The source being the output from the Avisynth script? Or the original DVD?

Thing is, I didn't realise that progressive PAL was a legal format for DVD, but that's probably out of date now...

Author
Time

Does all of this work with the subtitles for Greedo/Jabba? I've just been using VLC to watch GOUTs and used the aspect ratio option to view in 16:9.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

I remuxed the original selectable subtitles and had no problems. You can also use the complete script for hard encoded subtitles, but I have no results with this, because I wanted selectable subtitles. If you want selectable subtitles too you have to delete the subtitle-lines from the script.

Author
Time

Thanks for the guide! I didn't think I would be able to do it, but I did! It looks great on my flatscreen. I don't know if I installed the ff3tw.dll correctly though. Are you supposed to stick the whole folder into system32? I didn't get any errors during encoding what part of the process does that dll do?

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

You need to install the fftw3.dll into the system32-folder. You must have installed it correctly, otherwise the encoder couldn't work with this script. Nice that this guide helps. However thank g-force for his excellent work with his script.