Hello, I am happy to say that I have posted the V2 of Rekindled! The first post has been updated, and any vimeo links needing updates have been posted as well. If you already have a link to the V1, it’s the same link so no need to ask again if you’ve made a request previously, though you are welcome to if you can’t find it!
V2 is not a dramatic shift, but more of a refinement pass based on feedback and my own notes. I must thank Hal 9000 and jarbear for their updated version of Canto Bight, which fleshes out the casino planet a little bit more, giving it more meaning and showing us broom boy briefly.
There are also many suggestions that I tried, and decided not to implement for various reasons. I’ve listed those below as well.
- adjusted music during Hux call to improve flow and tension while retaining the same dialogue as in V1.
- added some light reflection of the explosion to the shot of Poe after the bridge explosion, per FreezingTNT2’s suggestion.
- adopted Hal 9000 and jarbear’s version of Canto Bight, with Finn and Rose spending more time looking through the casino, allowing us to see broom boy.
- Phasma’s body is now added in the Finn/Rose hanger scene while the Supremacy is crumbling, per hal 9000’s suggestion.
- Tweaked the fx shot of the cannon firing on Crait. My first pass removing Finn and Rose from the shot looked a little rough to me so I wanted to improve it.
Changes I tried, but decided against:
- Remove “Oh no” from opening battle. It was an easy edit, but it just didn’t feel like a necessary change. I can see why the on-the-nose dialogue irks some people, but it feels pretty natural in Star Wars to me, and without it, that scene just feels like ambience. The line punctuates the shot.
- Reduce BB-8 silliness in the opening battle. I’ve seen it done many ways, but to me it’s not a necessary change. I don’t mind that there’s some silly slapstick in the movie here.
- Remove Maz’s labor union dispute reference. Tried again but it didn’t work, it is too woven into the shots.