Sign In

pleasehello

User Group
Trusted Members
Join date
13-Dec-2011
Last activity
13-Dec-2018
Posts
288

Post History

Post
#1235698
Topic
Taking a stand against toxic fandom (and other )
Time

Warbler said:

pleasehello said:

Great article. Glad to see KMT push back against online trolls in a way that is strong, measured, but also humanizes her by allowing her to open up about her struggle.

Should we be referring to her as KMT? She said her real name was Loan. So maybe LMT or LT would be more appropriate? (assuming Tran is her real last name)

Seeing as how “Kelly Marie Tran” is at the very least the professional name she chooses to go by–and likely incorporated into her legal name as well–I think it’s completely reasonable to keep referring to her as such.

Post
#1235682
Topic
Taking a stand against toxic fandom (and other )
Time

Great article. Glad to see KMT push back against online trolls in a way that is strong, measured, but also humanizes her by allowing her to open up about her struggle.

I did have one comment about the following quote:

“It reinforced within me rules that were written before I was born, rules that made my parents deem it necessary to abandon their real names and adopt American ones — Tony and Kay — so it was easier for others to pronounce, a literal erasure of culture that still has me aching to the core.”

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with voluntary cultural assimilation (in fact I think it’s desirable to a certain extent) as long as you don’t let it erase your native culture. It is possible to have both.

Post
#1229930
Topic
Episode VIII : The Last Jedi - Discussion * <strong><em>SPOILER THREAD</em></strong> *
Time

screams in the void said:

pleasehello said:

screams in the void said:

Jay said:

Chewielewis said:

DrDre said:

Yes, except for the fact that Anakin went through a decade of Jedi training, and still failed to become the Jedi, he was supposed to be. The prequels put the entire concept of believing in prophesies in doubt, and reinforce the idea, that allways in motion is the future.

Sure, but like Rey he was pretty gifted when we first met him.

I think there is a question that people aren’t asking, which is “What exactly is Jedi training”. I don’t think Jedi training is about moving rocks or lightsaber technique. I think Jedi training is more about indoctrination. The Jedi are a religion, and like most religions, you have to start them young so they understand the world they way you need them to, because Jedi in the Jedi Order are basically celebate monks. Thats why the council rejected Anakin, too old to indoctrinate, and they were right. The jedi don’t spend 10 years learning how to fight and move rocks. Their lessons are basically learning about the force and how to understand it better, but understand it the way the Jedi want them to.

You could also say that things like moving rocks or deflecting laser bolts are pretty much the Jedi traning 101, in EpII we see kids deflecting blaster bolts, they probably can lift brooms as well with not much traning. Anakin didn’t need training to use his force powers to Fly Pods. Luke didn’t get much training to learn how to grab his saber and to use the force to blow up the death star.

Some good points about Jedi training and indoctrination, and I agree with you to a certain extent. However, everything we saw in the first six films indicates that guidance and meditation are required in order to maximize a Jedi’s powers and fully exploit the Force.

The extent of Anakin’s emergent powers in TPM is his ability to see into the future and anticipate things, and only to the point that it makes him appear to have superhuman reflexes. That’s it.

The extent of Luke’s powers in ANH are a few minutes against a remote where he “reaches out” and senses it, and the trench run where he’s told to “let go” and allow the Force to guide him while targeting the exhaust port. That’s all we got from Luke in his first go-round. He didn’t blow up the Death Star with the Force.

In TLJ, Rey successfully controls a trooper’s mind and holds her own in a lightsaber duel against a much more powerful, albeit injured, opponent, despite never having used a lightsaber before.

Lukes training in Degoba wasn’t about lifting rocks, he could do that without much of an issue, but to understand why he could lift rocks. What he needed to learn about the force and how it connects to the universe.

Luke failed to extract his X-Wing from the swamp and didn’t complete his training, and while he demonstrated some impressive maneuvers in his fight with his father, Vader toyed with him until he got his hand cut off and was forced to surrender. Whether that was a function of a lack of combat training or lack of proper meditation—probably both—he wasn’t adequately prepared.

After receiving a few lessons, Rey assaulted her teacher and got the drop on him with a lightsaber, then fought Snoke’s guards alongside Kylo and lifted a bunch of boulders like they weren’t even there, thus saving the day.

Is Rey faster and more powerful than Luke and Anakin? sure, but I don’t see this being without precident.

Not without precedent, but without training?

Rey gets her trainig the same way you teach a child to swim, throw them in the deep end. Kylo’s probing of her mind taught her how to fight back, which taught her how to influence that storm troopers mind. She’s as powerful as the narrative needs her to be. It would have been nice for her to stay longer on the island, sure but I think she gets everything she needs to know for the narrative.

This is the crux of the problem. She’s not a character with an arc; she’s floating along and being handed her abilities by the universe in order to suit the narrative. No work, no progression, no setbacks, no loss. It’s a boring hero’s journey.

He didn’t blow up the Death Star with the Force ? Did we see the same movie ?!..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKqcfO31is

He uses the force in the most abstract sense. The “trust your feelings” sense.
It’s not as if he guides the torpedoes into the exhaust port using telekinesis.

"use the Force Luke "

Yep. That seems pretty abstract to me.

Post
#1229921
Topic
Episode VIII : The Last Jedi - Discussion * <strong><em>SPOILER THREAD</em></strong> *
Time

screams in the void said:

Jay said:

Chewielewis said:

DrDre said:

Yes, except for the fact that Anakin went through a decade of Jedi training, and still failed to become the Jedi, he was supposed to be. The prequels put the entire concept of believing in prophesies in doubt, and reinforce the idea, that allways in motion is the future.

Sure, but like Rey he was pretty gifted when we first met him.

I think there is a question that people aren’t asking, which is “What exactly is Jedi training”. I don’t think Jedi training is about moving rocks or lightsaber technique. I think Jedi training is more about indoctrination. The Jedi are a religion, and like most religions, you have to start them young so they understand the world they way you need them to, because Jedi in the Jedi Order are basically celebate monks. Thats why the council rejected Anakin, too old to indoctrinate, and they were right. The jedi don’t spend 10 years learning how to fight and move rocks. Their lessons are basically learning about the force and how to understand it better, but understand it the way the Jedi want them to.

You could also say that things like moving rocks or deflecting laser bolts are pretty much the Jedi traning 101, in EpII we see kids deflecting blaster bolts, they probably can lift brooms as well with not much traning. Anakin didn’t need training to use his force powers to Fly Pods. Luke didn’t get much training to learn how to grab his saber and to use the force to blow up the death star.

Some good points about Jedi training and indoctrination, and I agree with you to a certain extent. However, everything we saw in the first six films indicates that guidance and meditation are required in order to maximize a Jedi’s powers and fully exploit the Force.

The extent of Anakin’s emergent powers in TPM is his ability to see into the future and anticipate things, and only to the point that it makes him appear to have superhuman reflexes. That’s it.

The extent of Luke’s powers in ANH are a few minutes against a remote where he “reaches out” and senses it, and the trench run where he’s told to “let go” and allow the Force to guide him while targeting the exhaust port. That’s all we got from Luke in his first go-round. He didn’t blow up the Death Star with the Force.

In TLJ, Rey successfully controls a trooper’s mind and holds her own in a lightsaber duel against a much more powerful, albeit injured, opponent, despite never having used a lightsaber before.

Lukes training in Degoba wasn’t about lifting rocks, he could do that without much of an issue, but to understand why he could lift rocks. What he needed to learn about the force and how it connects to the universe.

Luke failed to extract his X-Wing from the swamp and didn’t complete his training, and while he demonstrated some impressive maneuvers in his fight with his father, Vader toyed with him until he got his hand cut off and was forced to surrender. Whether that was a function of a lack of combat training or lack of proper meditation—probably both—he wasn’t adequately prepared.

After receiving a few lessons, Rey assaulted her teacher and got the drop on him with a lightsaber, then fought Snoke’s guards alongside Kylo and lifted a bunch of boulders like they weren’t even there, thus saving the day.

Is Rey faster and more powerful than Luke and Anakin? sure, but I don’t see this being without precident.

Not without precedent, but without training?

Rey gets her trainig the same way you teach a child to swim, throw them in the deep end. Kylo’s probing of her mind taught her how to fight back, which taught her how to influence that storm troopers mind. She’s as powerful as the narrative needs her to be. It would have been nice for her to stay longer on the island, sure but I think she gets everything she needs to know for the narrative.

This is the crux of the problem. She’s not a character with an arc; she’s floating along and being handed her abilities by the universe in order to suit the narrative. No work, no progression, no setbacks, no loss. It’s a boring hero’s journey.

He didn’t blow up the Death Star with the Force ? Did we see the same movie ?!..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKqcfO31is

He uses the force in the most abstract sense. The “trust your feelings” sense.
It’s not as if he guides the torpedoes into the exhaust port using telekinesis.

Post
#1229582
Topic
Episode IX - Discussion * <strong><em>SPOILER THREAD</em></strong> *
Time

DominicCobb said:

pleasehello said:

OutboundFlight said:

Unpopular onpinion: Lando is just a Han clone and offers nothing to the story.

Lando is a really fun and cool character in Solo and Empire, but once he turns good he’s boring. In ROTJ, they didn’t know what to do with him. They had too many characters, put Han in the falcon or Lando on the ground and the story would of been exactly the same (except for “I love you”).

I was perfectly fine with them abandoning Lando in the sequels. His story is finished, and it’s not like his son is evil like Han. Him not appearing raises the stakes in the EU, when Lando almost died in the Battlefront II campaign I legit thought he might. But now we know he survives until that strange week 30 years later, when the entire galaxy is flipped upside down.

I think that opinion is spot on. That’s one of the biggest problems with ROTJ. Both Han and Lando’s character arcs are finished in Empire. They both just take up space in ROTJ.

They easily could have found interesting things character-wise for both of them to do in ROTJ, they just didn’t. For example, Lando being a part of the rebellion is just something taken for granted.

True. I should have been more specific. Their character arcs in Empire have a sort of completeness to them rather than a finality. Yes, they could have found interesting things for them to do in ROTJ, but didn’t. I think that was proven with Han Solo in TFA. Giving him father-son issues gave the audience a different (I think very interesting) look at Han.

Post
#1229545
Topic
Episode IX - Discussion * <strong><em>SPOILER THREAD</em></strong> *
Time

OutboundFlight said:

Unpopular onpinion: Lando is just a Han clone and offers nothing to the story.

Lando is a really fun and cool character in Solo and Empire, but once he turns good he’s boring. In ROTJ, they didn’t know what to do with him. They had too many characters, put Han in the falcon or Lando on the ground and the story would of been exactly the same (except for “I love you”).

I was perfectly fine with them abandoning Lando in the sequels. His story is finished, and it’s not like his son is evil like Han. Him not appearing raises the stakes in the EU, when Lando almost died in the Battlefront II campaign I legit thought he might. But now we know he survives until that strange week 30 years later, when the entire galaxy is flipped upside down.

I think that opinion is spot on. That’s one of the biggest problems with ROTJ. Both Han and Lando’s character arcs are finished in Empire. They both just take up space in ROTJ.

Also, if Luke’s ghost doesn’t haunt Kylo Ren mercilessly in the next movie, I will be severely disappointed.

Post
#1228426
Topic
Taking a stand against toxic fandom (and other )
Time

oojason said:

DrDre said:

Jay said:

Handman said:

I’ll also take this opportunity to remind everyone that when moderators post content, they’re posting as themselves and not as representatives of the site.

By content, you mean opinions and such, not “Let’s get back on topic”? Obvious question is obvious, but I’d like a little more clarification on this point if possible.

Correct.

Warbler said:

Jay said:

I’ll also take this opportunity to remind everyone that when moderators post content, they’re posting as themselves and not as representatives of the site. We’re individuals with our own thoughts and views.

Not when they do this:

oojason said:

I won’t ask again. Get back on topic - or feel free to PM me - or continue your thoughts and views in the ‘Culture’ section of ‘Off Topic’.

When they do the above, they are posting as a moderator.

Right. Given recent activity regarding threads being driven off the rails, we’ve been a bit more sensitive regarding threads staying on track. Maybe in this case it got a bit blurred because oojason was expressing his opinion as a member who disagrees with DrDre, but also providing direction as a moderator for the sake of the thread. When those two things seem to be working in concert (which I don’t think was oojason’s intent), it creates the impression of using moderator authority to “win” a debate. I’ve been accused of the same thing in other threads.

I’ll discuss it with the mods, but perhaps we need a policy whereby any moderator involved in a discussion should recuse themselves from moderator duties within that discussion and leave it to another moderator.

As always, OP sets the tone, and we usually won’t act on off topic discussion without their request unless it’s getting out of control.

When a mod directs me, threatens with a ban, and calls me toxic in the same post, it becomes very hard not to percieve this as personal animosity and bias in mod action, especially considering oojason vehemently disagreed with me, whilst expressing his disdain for my opinion, and also considering the fact that the OP had at that point not chimed in, whilst the discussion was still on the topic of toxicity in the fanbase in my humble opinion. So, the claim that I was derailing the thread seems a bit excessive in this context.

There was no threat of a ban - please direct me to where there was a threat of a ban made. I believe I said…

oojason said:

DrDre said:

oojason said:

DrDre said:

oojason said:

DrDre said:

TV’s Frink said:

In my view Photoshopping her head on a hulk body is not fair game.

Is creating a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad fair game? In my view it is. That’s the way free speech works, and that right should be defended in my view, even if you disagree with what is depicted. If creating a caricature of a Prophet is fair game, then so is creating a caricature of the Star Wars character Rey. If it was a caricature of Daisy Ridley, that attempts to ridicule her personally, then I would agree with you.

That’s free speech - not toxicity. For many people they would consider a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad to be toxic, and in my view rightly so.

Well, I disagree. The only toxicity I see is in those that cannot accept the foundations of a free, and democratic society. As such, any point of view that is too foreign relative to someone’s own, is considered to be toxic, evil, communist, degraded, blasphemy, or any other term used to label people, or put them in a box for having a different, or controversial opinion.

Like I said above - it’s okay that you do disagree. Nice one.

I have empathy with anyone who’d offended by a caricature of the Prophet Mohammad - and can see why such a picture would be toxic. Hey, I live in a free democratic society and accept it’s foundations too - as do many who may think it toxic too - or even those who don’t.

Now let’s get back on topic re taking a stand against toxic fandom - not re the Prophet Muhammad and communism being aligned with evil, degraded and blasphemy - your words.
 

It was on topic, since I specifically criticized those that abuse the term toxic for their own agenda, perpetuating toxicity within the fandom. Toxicity ends with respecting different, sometimes more outspoken points of view. Labeling people toxic for having an opinion does not.

No mate, it wasn’t.

I won’t ask again. Get back on topic - or feel free to PM me - or continue your thoughts and views in the ‘Culture’ section of ‘Off Topic’.

It’s not this first time you’ve twisted my words recently to try and make them into something else - and I think it’s the 3rd time of late I’ve had to asked you (along with others) to stay on topic / not derail a thread. This time was you introducing the fairly toxic and incendiary subject of caricatures of Mohammad and then a statement on the evils of communism, later passed off ‘analogies’ - which would have very likely taken the thread further away from the thread subject.

As for disagreeing with you… you seemed to take issue with what I posted, not the other way around. On more than one occasion I said it’s okay that you disagree, yes? Disdain for your opinion…? Doesn’t seem that’s the case at all.

Personal animosity and bias? Mate, you seem to have a problem with mod requests or mods having opinions - here and in the past, or inferring things that just aren’t there. Or recently where you started to twist my words and also had some sort of pop about me posting articles or something - before I cut short our last conversation. You seem to have a problem with my views or me - and that’s okay - yet stop twisting my words and making shite up - let your argument or views stand on their own merits.

There’s more info in my reply to your PM - correcting and highlighting more wrongful accusations from you not based in fact.

I don’t see how drawing a comparison between buff Rey and cartoon Mohammed constitutes toxicity, though it may be starting to stray off-topic.

EDIT: Now I want to see a “Buff Rey & Cartoon Mohammed” comic strip.

Post
#1228360
Topic
Taking a stand against toxic fandom (and other )
Time

SilverWook said:

I’m starting to have second thoughts about wearing a Star Wars shirt in public now for fear I’ll get sucked into that kind of unpleasant conversation with a stranger. Who needs that kind of aggravation?

But how often does this really happen? I think the anonymity and impersonal nature of the internet facilitates a great deal of the toxicity around Star Wars from both sides.

I don’t know anyone in real life who says “chicks ruined Star Wars”, nor do I know anyone who thinks that people who criticize The Last Jedi are all sexist. Maybe I just don’t get out enough.

Post
#1228322
Topic
Taking a stand against toxic fandom (and other )
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Photoshopping Daisy Ridley’s face onto a muscle body isn’t necessarily toxic. It could be funny if done right. It’s definitely fair game. I’ve made fun of a ton of actors in my day. Why are they off limits?

Even less toxic would be photoshopping the face of a movie character onto a muscle-man body. I don’t see any problem with making fun of Rey or making her look buff to illustrate some perception that her character is overpowered, which seems to be the context in this case.

Post
#1227194
Topic
The Marvel Cinematic Universe
Time

DominicCobb said:

pleasehello said:

DominicCobb said:

Handman said:

if Disney actually cared he wouldn’t have had a position to be fired from.

That’s what makes this so much harder to swallow. It’s not like these tweets were ever a secret.

Which basically means either one of two things, that Disney has just succumbed to the wishes of alt-right trolls who got mad because Gunn made fun of Trump and Ben Shapiro, or that there was some other reason they wanted to fire him and they’re using this as an excuse (which raises a whole bunch of other questions).

No matter what, Disney’s sending a message for sure, but it’s a very confusing one, to say the least.

Disney fired Roseanne for her one terrible tweet that got publicity while her twitter history had many more. This James Gunn thing seems pretty consistent.

Not actually. Roseanne had a history of tweets that no one at Disney apparently cared about. While the show was airing, she continued tweeting crazy stuff. It wasn’t until she tweeted something that crossed the line that she was let go. She was fired for a tweet she made the same exact day she tweeted it. An important difference.

Meanwhile, they dragged their feet on Lasseter, and had no problem employing Johnny Depp just recently. They’re all over the place, to say the least.

I think Gunn and Roseanne are similar in that Disney doesn’t vet their twitter activity, nor do they care until it gets publicity, whether it’s an old or new tweet. Roseanne’s new “Planet of the Apes” tweet got publicity. Gunn’s old “pedo jokes” got publicity. Only then does Disney take action to try and distance themselves.

You’re right in that Lasseter and Depp are different. Depp is the most upsetting and confusing of all as he’s easily the worst offender. By recent Hollywood standards you’d think the man would never work again. But he’s still getting big parts in major studio films.

Post
#1227188
Topic
The Marvel Cinematic Universe
Time

DominicCobb said:

Handman said:

if Disney actually cared he wouldn’t have had a position to be fired from.

That’s what makes this so much harder to swallow. It’s not like these tweets were ever a secret.

Which basically means either one of two things, that Disney has just succumbed to the wishes of alt-right trolls who got mad because Gunn made fun of Trump and Ben Shapiro, or that there was some other reason they wanted to fire him and they’re using this as an excuse (which raises a whole bunch of other questions).

No matter what, Disney’s sending a message for sure, but it’s a very confusing one, to say the least.

Disney fired Roseanne for her one terrible tweet that got publicity while her twitter history had many more. This James Gunn thing seems pretty consistent.

Post
#1216245
Topic
The Last Jedi- Full Movie Re-Edit
Time

MalàStrana said:

If you sum up everything I feel this can be seen as quite fishy about this project (2.0 sound only, weird choices that aren’t likely to work, patron site, etc.)… and I don’t get why he opened a thread here if he doesn’t show up from time to time (maybe he does but since he doesn’t login or leaves replies it’s hard to tell). Perhaps we should stop posting his new videos and let him do that himself ? (for example Adywan doesn’t show up very often but he’s a long time member of the community and each time there is something new he posts the news himself in his topic)

I don’t know if I would call it fishy. But I think it’s clear he’s more interested in growing his channel than being a part of any fan-edit community. Hence his “clickbaity” names, somewhat long-winded rants and his decision to post updates on YouTube when Vimeo is a much less conspicuous option.

He’s also selling T-shirts now, too. He’s definitely making the most of it. Or from it, I should say.

Post
#1215503
Topic
<em>Solo: A Star Wars Story</em> — Official Review and Opinions Thread — <strong>SPOILERS</strong>
Time

I know there are many reasons for Solo’s underwhelming performance at the box office. I’m sure for many it’s a result of the backlash against TLJ or whatever, but for me it’s because of Rogue One.

For all its flaws, The Last Jedi was a film that added depth to (most of) its characters. You can love or hate what Rian Johnson did with Luke Skywalker, but he added to the character, gave him conflict and gave the audience a look into his thought and emotions.

Rogue One turned me off to the entire notion of these new spinoff movies. I found it to be a shallow film with uninteresting characters that was all plot and no story. And from what I’ve read, the Han Solo movie doesn’t appear to add anything substantive to his character except for answering questions of the most superficial and asinine variety. This is my biggest problem with Star Wars today is that fan service and safe decisions by Lucasfilm are undermining these spinoff movies by making them predictable and inoffensive.

We’ll never know what the Lord and Miller version of Solo would have been like, but at the very least it would have been an interesting diversion from the stock action movies that bore me so much. Nothing could turn me off quicker to Star Wars than a cavalcade of safe, mediocre movies based on already established characters. But I’m probably in the minority.

Post
#1213784
Topic
The Last Jedi : Fan Edit Ideas - ** <strong>SPOILERS INSIDE</strong> **
Time

I’m pretty sure Ben does not have the original saber in the flashback scenes.

But I don’t think adding it would answer any questions. It doesn’t really explain how the saber was recovered. And Ben already has a legitimate claim to it being the grandson of Anakin Skywalker, which is what I took from the line “it belongs to me.”

Post
#1210222
Topic
Most Baffling Complaint of a Star Wars Movie
Time

darthrush said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

darthrush said:

And cause Disney isn’t even close to pushing a propaganda. Correction, they only act like they stand for diverse casting.

I think what it is is that they pretend to be diverse by having a diverse cast, but behind the scenes it’s all white men.

No, look at my other posts clarifying what I said. My point is that a truly diverse and bold move would be having a person of color as a lead in one of the movies, which they have failed to do in addition to still only hiring white men as directors.

So yes, my point does apply to both casting and the choice of people behind the camera.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Disney is hedging their bets with these Star Wars films in terms of casting. They don’t really care about diversity, they just care about their bottom line.

Though as was argued above I would say Finn is one of the two leads in TFA. His part is equally important in the film in my opinion. He gets just as much screentime as Rey in the first movie.

I agree that his character has much less impact in TLJ. I just don’t think his storyline was very well written.

Post
#1208485
Topic
The Last Jedi: Legendary (SPOILERS)
Time

DominicCobb said:

darthrush said:

Glad to hear you are happy with your work! I think you really nailed a great balance for your edit and it serves as a perfect edit for people who don’t want something too radical. The only remaining flaw is the repeating music in the Luke deleted scene and the tree scene. I think replacing the music in the Luke scene is probably the best idea.

Debatably, repeating music is not that big a deal. Nearly every other Star Wars movie has done it.

That happens pretty rarely. Repeating motifs, yes. Extended use of the exact same material that has already appeared in the movie, not so much; unless it’s for a very specific reason.

It wouldn’t be an issue if the two uses of the same piece were an hour apart, but in this edit it’s only six minutes apart. It was pretty noticeable to me.

Post
#1207508
Topic
The Last Jedi: Legendary (SPOILERS)
Time

Hal 9000 said:

pleasehello said:

I might already have this one in the can. I did something similar for my edit.

Do you want to wipe from Poe back to the island after the “dead heroes, no leaders” conversation with Leia?

Awesome, I appreciate that. Yes, that is the point at which we would transition back.

And yeah, I’m still using Final Cut Pro 7, actually. And you’ll pry it from my cold, dead hands. If I take on a fan editing project of any seriousness going forward, I will dual-boot a copy of Mac OS 10.12 in order to keep running it. Final Cut Pro X can bite my shiny metal ass.

Happy to help. Just sent you a PM.

No judgement on the latter topic, haha. Whatever works for you.

Post
#1207403
Topic
The Last Jedi: Legendary (SPOILERS)
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Yeah… I am very doubtful that I’ll be able to pull off reinstating that snippet scene to my liking. It’s all right, though. The three of them bounding off in their AT-ST serves as a scene bumper fine as it is.

If you have Premiere yourself, pleasehello, would you terribly mind creating a radial wipe for me from Poe to the island? The precise timing is not important, since the audio on both sides is pretty easy. Just try to conserve as many frames as possible while doing a reasonable match for the original in terms of timing.

It really is the little things. If you can’t or would prefer not to, I understand. But I can’t seem to stack clock wipes in a way that will yield the correct result.

I might already have this one in the can. I did something similar for my edit.

Do you want to wipe from Poe back to the island after the “dead heroes, no leaders” conversation with Leia?

Post
#1207234
Topic
The Last Jedi: Legendary (SPOILERS)
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Okay, Plan A at this point is to go ahead and restructure those few scenes. We’ll get Luke’s moment, then cut to Leia, the whole bit.
The problem is that the “where you belong” scene sets up the snippet as Finn and Rose escape the destroyer. As you can see below, what it seems like I would have to do to get that to work is pretty rough, audio-wise. What do you guys think about keeping the Finn and Poe deleted scene and NOT using the Finn and Rose snippet?

https://vimeo.com/270257073
password: fanedit

Also, does anyone know what the right name is for the wipe transition effect as we go from Rey saying, “I’m not leaving without you” to the ‘day in the life of Lonely Luke’ sequence? It’s similar to a clock wipe, but from both directions at once. I don’t believe my NLE can replicate this effect. Right now I have a horizontal center wipe as we go from Poe back to the island. I’d prefer to use the same wipe as in the theatrical, but it’s not a big deal.

In Premiere I believe it’s called a radial wipe and it gives you the option to go in both directions at once.

I like how the Poe and Finn scene sets up the “where we belong” quote later, but anyone who isn’t familiar with the deleted scenes wouldn’t miss it I don’t think.

EDIT: Actually, I implemented the Rose and Finn shuttle scene into my edit, but I used the temp-tracks for the surrounding shots as they are presented in the actual deleted scene supplement and the audio transition is less jarring.

https://vimeo.com/263090647
pass: fanedit

Hope this helps.

Post
#1205085
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

trimboNZ said:

Collipso said:

LuckyGungan2001 said:

chyron8472 said:

If you think about it, Obi-Wan and Yoda also gave themselves over to the Force in a similar fashion, especially since Obi-Wan disappeared an the moment before Vader’s saber hit him.

Did he? I always thought Vader killed him.

yeah he did. vader’s blade never even touches him.

“If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”

Emphasis mine.

Yeah, Vader kills him. But he gives himself up to the force by allowing Vader to kill him. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

His robe being “empty” before Vader strikes him is definitely a limitation of the special effects of the time.