I agree to your last sentence. 😉
How exactly did you upscale you BatB-LD?
I use a Panasonic LX-101 Laserdisc player and a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3 device to capture from the composite source into either an uncompressed or a high bitrate compressed SD format. I don’t use the device’s upscaling feature as it appears to just output a bicubic resized image. There are a couple of settings for Chroma and brightness at capture level that I have slightly adjusted due to a very subtle Brightness/chroma burn I notice. The captured video is an interlaced 29.97 fps video. In this case it’s telecined.
Then I use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to deinterlace (IVTC) and crop the letterboxed picture. I convert it to another lossless or high bitrate SD format using the highest processing options available to use for upscaling later, as Gigapixel currently can’t handle interlaced footage well. The converted video is a progressive 23.976fps video. The TMPGenc app has impressive advanced settings for video encoding, deinterlacing, and good filters which I don’t use at this stage.
I then load the progressive SD video in Gigapixel Video Enhance AI (using a 30 day trial for now). There are 3 upsampling methods to choose from. In this case I used Upsampling(HQ-CG) which I think looked better for BatB, plus HD size and the output format.
Currently there is mpeg4, 8bit tif, 16bit tiff, and png outputs in Video Enhance AI but I see no setting for mpeg4 to change the bitrate or CBR/VBR (could be the limitation of the free trial, not sure). Final result is high quality but the file size is not in your control.
You can consider this your final video but since I want more control and I also have enough storage, I choose png as my output to keep it lossless for further processing. This method outputs each progressive frame as separate png files in sequential filenames saved in a folder (300+ GB).
Then I load the first image/frame in TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works and it automatically loads the other frames to form a video. If any filters needed such as denoise, sharpness, etc, I find it’s better used at this stage on the already upscaled picture. I choose MP4 with H.264 codec.
In the output settings I make sure to choose 23.976 fps progressive otherwise it will change the speed of the video when dealing with still images as frames.
I choose VBR for 2pass encoding so I have control over the file size.
When the video is ready, I use MKVToolNix to add the audio to the video from the progressive SD video I created earlier. This avoids further processing/encoding of the video and only adds the audio to it in a couple of minutes.
That is my final version of the video. 😃
I’m still testing different things but so far this has given me great results.
Sorry for the long reply 😉