To be filed under the category of “absolutely not feasible for me to accomplish this year but would be cool.”
When messing around with dym2005’s rip I noticed that while finally widescreen the video was much muddier and less detailed than even the DVD quality. I figured I’d give a shot to see what kind of results could be achieved if we combined elements from the DVD, namely the characters, matted onto the widescreen backgrounds of the iTunes rip. Below are the results of 2 frames of that attempt.
I believe the results are substantially better than either individual element with the major flaw being that at 4446 frames I would have to do about 1.5 hours minimum per day to accomplish this by Christmas which is not feasible for me. I understand that is why projects like De-Specialized editions are such an epic undertaking, but below is my process if anyone has a more optimized approach.
- Converted all frames to png using ffmpeg for iTunes rip and DVD rip (deleting out every 5th frame from DVD rip)
- Load iTunes frame and DVD frame into Photoshop as layers and Auto-Align Layers
- Polygonal Lasso the characters from the DVD frame https://i.imgur.com/p2QrONV.png
- Select and Mask the selection using these settings https://i.imgur.com/e2dm9lQ.png and duplicate layer via copy to create a smooth transition between the DVD characters and the iTunes background
- Delete out DVD portion that exceeded iTunes frame dimensions https://i.imgur.com/CF12BYZ.png and then crop to 1920x1080
- Save as png