This has probably been debated here already. If so, sorry. I am new.
I have seen Adywan's Star Wars Revisited and have the sense that within the hardcore fan community it is believed that in the cantina scene, Obi Wan cuts off the Walrus Guy's arm. Adywan even shot new footage to show Walrus Guy's arm on the floor with a flipper instead of a hand.
I will say right now that I am a huge fan of Star Wars. When I was 11, I saw it at least 20 times in the theater. With that said, I am not one of those fans who can tell you the names of all of the aliens in the cantina. I'm not that hardcore. So for the purposes of this discussion I will refer to these two characters as Walrus Guy and Freaky Nose.
When the Bluray came out I was intrigued and my cynical side said, well now you will see all of the flaws that were blurred out in the old, low resolution version. I say that with humor, but it's really true. I will discuss (and have discussed) in other threads the flaws with matte paintings and other issues.
Okay. Watching this sceme in 1080p and having the ability to move frame by frame, it is clear now what has happened.
Here is the order of events, undeniable, backed up by screenshots:
- Walrus Guy has Flipper Hands
- Freaky Nose has normal human hands
- Walrus Guy is wearing and orange flight jacket
- Freaky Nose is wearing a long sleeve tan shirt and brown vest
- Walrus Guy shoves Luke on the shoulder with his flipper hand and grunts at him
- Luke turns back around
- Freaky Nose taps Luke on the shoulder with his human hand and informs him that Walrus Guy doesn't like him and that he had better watch himself, blah blah, blah...
- Obi Wan intervenes and tells Freaky Nose that Luke isn't worth the trouble and offers to get him something from the bar
- Freaky Nose freaks out and shoves Luke sending him crashing into tables
- As Luke is crashing into a table, Freaky Nose starts to draw his blaster (easily seen when viewed frame by frame)
- Obi Wan reaches for his lightsaber
- The bartender freaks and screams "no blasters...no blasters!!"
- Freaky Nose raises his blaster up to shoot (Walrus guy is behind and Freaky Nose is in front of him and the arm raising up is clearly human with a tan shirt and brown vest)
- Obi Wan swings his lightsaber
- Freaky Nose stumbles backward
- There is blurry chaos of stumbling and falling
- A severed arm is shown on the floor, with a dropped blaster, in an orange flight jacket with a hairy, ape-like hand
First, it IS Freaky Nose that is raising up the blaster. Walrus guy is behind him and it may look like it is Walrus guy but in the Bluray it is very clear. There is also the evidence that the arm that is raising up has (1) a human hand and (2) a long sleeve tan shirt.
Second, even if you explained that Obi Wan "missed"and accidentally chopped off Walrus Guy's arm, there are a few problems. (1) Walrus Guy had flipper hands and the severed arm doesn't and (2) Walrus guy wasn't holding a blaster and the severed arm was.
Also, as Freaky nose is falling backward, it is clear he still has both arms.
The lightsaber is already swung, so Obi Wan could n't have cut off Walrus Guy's arm. This is simply a giant mistake. If there is to be a corrected version of this scene, it needs to show Freaky nose falling backward with a smoldering shoulder and show a severed humanoid arm and hand, in a tan shirt.