Sign In

Wexter

User Group
Trusted Members
Join date
29-Sep-2008
Last activity
28-Nov-2018
Posts
340

Post History

Post
#1215795
Topic
Ranking the Star Wars films
Time

Density said:

I responded enthusiastically to my first watch of TLJ, and should emphasize that I don’t agree with the haters on the majority of things they love to complain and rave about it for. BUT on re-watching, it didn’t really hold up. Not because of FEMALES or anything like that, but because the main quality that made me feel excited watching it the first time – its subversiveness and unpredictability – no longer applied. Which meant that all that was left was the basic elements of the film – plot, character development, dialogue, etc. – and they had to stand on their own. And that meant an overlong movie filled with too many jokes that didn’t land, situations that made no sense, and characters that behaved stupidly.

Not to mention the hat trick Johnson pulled to make it feel like he was creating something fresh and bold was obvious on re-watch, and consequently it in fact feels even less original than The Force Awakens at times – i.e. the Snoke scene is literally almost verbatim the same as the Emperor scene in ROTJ, just with a TWIST. Luke sacrificed himself like Obi-Wan did, but it was more EXTREME. And so on. It remains somewhat interesting as a deconstruction of Star Wars, but in the end Johnson didn’t really capture what I personally like about Star Wars. That is especially clear when watched back-to-back with Solo, which DID capture what I like about Star Wars to a greater extent.

Very well said.

Post
#1148082
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

The thing is: pretty much nobody in the world knows how Episode 9 will play out. That includes people at LucasFilm. If there ever was a plan for the sequel trilogy, it seems pretty obvious to me that RJ just threw it out of the window because he was trying to be “edgy”. I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem like they are trying to tell a story spread across three films anymore. Instead, their main incentive seems to be “lets make Star Wars films”. Because of that I’m not really interested in Episode 9. The dream is dead and the odds of JJ Abrams of all people being able to bring it back to life are approximately three thousand seven hundred and twenty to one.

Merry Christmas 😄

Post
#1148072
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

oojason said:

Valheru_84 said:

DrDre said:

Sothis said:

DominicCobb said:

What’s funny to me is people complained that TFA played it too safe, now this did the opposite of that and people are still complaining.

this is too real.

Since when is different automatically good?

Someone actually demonstrated as well how TLJ is still generally a repeat of a lot of parts TESB and some ROTJ, it’s just no where near as obvious and in your face as TFA was.

.Val

.Val mate, a point of view in the form of a video for your consideration in regard to TFA… (done before TLJ was filmed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pueu2wu0M5s

Cool video. I was never too bothered by TFA being derivative. It seemed to be pretty honest about that. And it seemed to serve a purpose of giving the audience the familiar together with the new so that a brand new Star Wars stories could stem from there.

TLJ on the other hand goes out of its way to do a deconstruction of the events of episodes 5 and 6, even though it had infinite possibilities where to go from the end of TFA. And for some reason it is heralded as being completely different from anything that came before by its fans and critics alike.

The sequel trilogy doesn’t feel like Star Wars to me. It is “The Star Wars Experience”. Familiar tropes being coupled with updated visuals with a thick layer of a shallow social commentary on top.

Post
#1147860
Topic
Episode VIII : The Last Jedi - Discussion * <strong><em>SPOILER THREAD</em></strong> *
Time

chyron8472 said:

What exactly would you guys say are specific reasons why TLJ is so divisive?

Not why it sucks, or why it’s wonderful—but what about the film seems to (apparently) be making it a love it or hate it kind of thing?

Like, if I were to have a conversation with someone I know irl about TLJ, and if I said it seems to be really divisive regarding the fanbase, and they asked me why, what could I say?

…I’m having this hypothetical conversation with family in my head, but I don’t know how to explain conceptually why its divisive, especially to someone who hasn’t seen the film yet.

My theory is that this has to do with how different process what they experience. I didn’t like TLJ. I think it is quite well made, but poorly thought-out and written. And that’s where I see the dividing line. If you are somebody who has a great sense of detail, you are probably more likely to enjoy the film, because the little things and much of the individual parts that make up a film are spot on here. However, if you are someone who is more likely to see the forest than the trees, you might be a lot more distracted by the shaky story structure, numerous plot-holes and the way this (not quite) new story feels like in the context of what came before it.

Anyway, that’s just my interpretation, I could be way off. Another explanation would be that we live in an era that just favours strong opinions on anything and everything. 😃

Post
#1145608
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

DominicCobb said:

Wexter said:

I now wonder whether if they did a movie based on Raiders Of The Lost Ark, except the protagonist uses an umbrella instead of a whip and actually fails to find the Ark, people would still think it is different and unexpected.

And yes, I am aware that this is a huge hyperbole. Just trying to get the point across.

Wouldn’t it be crazy if they made that movie but in it Indy totally failed and had no impact on the climax

I see what you did there 😃

Post
#1145590
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

chyron8472 said:

Wexter said:

chyron8472 said:

Wexter said:

chyron8472 said:

KILLOFFPOE said:

Kylo should have been in some “different” organization to start this trilogy, not just Empire 2.

This is true. If anything, I don’t give TLJ guff for throwing out ideas TFA set up. I’d more readily give TFA guff for setting them up in the first place since they weren’t all that great anyway.

Your film will not be made stronger if it torpedoes the foundation it is supposed to be building on. Even if the foundation is flawed.

But it doesn’t. TFA is not the foundation. The OT is. TLJ does not torpedo the OT.

TLJ starts exactly where TFA ended. Except it goes for something completely different in terms of themes and supposedly the story.

Yes. That’s why it’s good. It throws unexpected twists into the works to keep the story from being obvious.

It continues to mirror the OT, though.

No it doesn’t. It makes you think it will but then it suddenly changes tack.

I think we already had this conversation. Agree to disagree.

Post
#1145583
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

chyron8472 said:

Wexter said:

chyron8472 said:

KILLOFFPOE said:

Kylo should have been in some “different” organization to start this trilogy, not just Empire 2.

This is true. If anything, I don’t give TLJ guff for throwing out ideas TFA set up. I’d more readily give TFA guff for setting them up in the first place since they weren’t all that great anyway.

Your film will not be made stronger if it torpedoes the foundation it is supposed to be building on. Even if the foundation is flawed.

But it doesn’t. TFA is not the foundation. The OT is. TLJ does not torpedo the OT.

TLJ starts exactly where TFA ended. Except it goes for something completely different in terms of themes and supposedly the story. It continues to mirror the OT, though.

Post
#1145569
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

chyron8472 said:

KILLOFFPOE said:

Kylo should have been in some “different” organization to start this trilogy, not just Empire 2.

This is true. If anything, I don’t give TLJ guff for throwing out ideas TFA set up. I’d more readily give TFA guff for setting them up in the first place since they weren’t all that great anyway.

Your film will not be made stronger if it torpedoes the foundation it is supposed to be building on. Even if the foundation is flawed.

Post
#1145566
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

Nandi said:

Wexter said:

Nandi said:

Wexter said:

Seriously people, diversity of the cast is NOT one of this film’s problems. The diversity may feel somewhat forced in the Disney Star Wars, but while there are people actually being butthurt about the diverse cast, it is actually right to emphasize diversity, even if its only for the sake of it (which I’m not 100% sure it is).

We all agree about equality.
Problem rise when you intentionally make all oposite sex characters worthless (cowards, stupid etc).

I honestly don’t think that is what’s happening here.

How so?
Poe is rash
Fin is coward
Luke is weak
Kylo is evil
new smugler is spineless, etc

only female character with a flaw is Phasma

swap genders and you have most sexist film ever made

Poe isn’t rash, Poe is a downright psychotic. I’m not saying that the above is not true. I’m just saying that I don’t think they had a specific agenda to make the men look bad.

Post
#1145558
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

Nandi said:

Wexter said:

Seriously people, diversity of the cast is NOT one of this film’s problems. The diversity may feel somewhat forced in the Disney Star Wars, but while there are people actually being butthurt about the diverse cast, it is actually right to emphasize diversity, even if its only for the sake of it (which I’m not 100% sure it is).

We all agree about equality.
Problem rise when you intentionally make all oposite sex characters worthless (cowards, stupid etc).

I honestly don’t think that is what’s happening here.

Post
#1145548
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

Seriously people, diversity of the cast is NOT one of this film’s problems. The diversity may feel somewhat forced in the Disney Star Wars, but while there are people actually being butthurt about the diverse cast, it is actually right to emphasize diversity, even if its only for the sake of it (which I’m not 100% sure it is).

Post
#1145523
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

chyron8472 said:

Wexter said:

Ryan said:

Wexter said:

Ryan said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying I (and the minority who feels the same way) just don’t want new Star Wars films? If so, what are you basing this on?

DrDre said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Well, I think it’s actually quite a challenge to find a story beat, that isn’t in some way derived from the OT. It usually either does more or less the same, or the opposite. If it was really a new story, it wouldn’t depend completely on OT events.

Yeah, i am saying it seems like people don’t want new star wars films, based on the fact that i completely fail to understand what people want. You can tell me that it is too derivative, or to similar, or didn’t do this or that. but i really have never understood what you or those other people would actually want to see.

So of course, i know that those who say these things often make claims about what they want. But despite this, i really don’t believe that they actually know what they want. Sure, that is me being a bit judgmental, but that is the truth about how it strikes me.

Once again, I want new Star Wars films. I quite liked TFA and R1 despite their flaws. I am just baffled that where most people - even some of its harshest critics - see originality in TLJ, I see just a slight variation.

So what again didn’t you like about TLJ, other than its supposed lack of new ideas? Because I thought TFA had no new ideas either?

The (not so) slight rehash of TFA was an issue. But back then I truly believed it served a specific purpose. To “begin to make things right”. Reintroduce the familiar and introduce the new, so that from there the story can go where it has never gone before. And then the rehash kept going, while most people applauded for something we’ve never seen before in Star Wars.

TFA and TLJ wouldn’t have been a rehash if there was no “New Order” type thing in these new movies. i.e. no Death Star, no Storm Troopers, No Star Destroyers, etc. and then you don’t get any rehash.

I wish I could go to an alternate universe and watch their ST that didn’t have a “New Order” type thing in it.

I’d say you could even have an imperial remnant being the villain group and still tell a completely original story. However, I feel like that was never an option with Disney. They just hired people to do something very similar to the OT.

(Once again, this is just a feeling I get from it all. I personally don’t know anybody who attends Disney staff meetings.)

I can say this. The prequels feel like their own thing. Even with Clone Troopers and Palpatine. Those movies I never felt like Lucas was rehashing the OT.

As much as I hate the prequels, I agree. TPM relied heavily on the story of ANH and added some politics for padding, but there was an original idea behind both AOTC and ROTS. If only those basic ideas were handed to a competent screenwriter and made into films by a skilled director, those could have been worthy additions to the saga. As they stand now, they are beyond saving, but not for the lack of originality.

Whereas TLJ, conversely, was handed to a competent screenwriter and skilled director but is likewise irredeemable due to lack of originality?

Based on this film alone, I have no reason to assume RJ was a good choice for the screenwriting. I consider the film quite well made in several aspects, but ultimately badly/lazily written.

Post
#1145501
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

Ryan said:

Wexter said:

Ryan said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying I (and the minority who feels the same way) just don’t want new Star Wars films? If so, what are you basing this on?

DrDre said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Well, I think it’s actually quite a challenge to find a story beat, that isn’t in some way derived from the OT. It usually either does more or less the same, or the opposite. If it was really a new story, it wouldn’t depend completely on OT events.

Yeah, i am saying it seems like people don’t want new star wars films, based on the fact that i completely fail to understand what people want. You can tell me that it is too derivative, or to similar, or didn’t do this or that. but i really have never understood what you or those other people would actually want to see.

So of course, i know that those who say these things often make claims about what they want. But despite this, i really don’t believe that they actually know what they want. Sure, that is me being a bit judgmental, but that is the truth about how it strikes me.

Once again, I want new Star Wars films. I quite liked TFA and R1 despite their flaws. I am just baffled that where most people - even some of its harshest critics - see originality in TLJ, I see just a slight variation.

So what again didn’t you like about TLJ, other than its supposed lack of new ideas? Because I thought TFA had no new ideas either?

The (not so) slight rehash of TFA was an issue. But back then I truly believed it served a specific purpose. To “begin to make things right”. Reintroduce the familiar and introduce the new, so that from there the story can go where it has never gone before. And then the rehash kept going, while most people applauded for something we’ve never seen before in Star Wars.

TFA and TLJ wouldn’t have been a rehash if there was no “New Order” type thing in these new movies. i.e. no Death Star, no Storm Troopers, No Star Destroyers, etc. and then you don’t get any rehash.

I wish I could go to an alternate universe and watch their ST that didn’t have a “New Order” type thing in it.

I’d say you could even have an imperial remnant being the villain group and still tell a completely original story. However, I feel like that was never an option with Disney. They just hired people to do something very similar to the OT.

(Once again, this is just a feeling I get from it all. I personally don’t know anybody who attends Disney staff meetings.)

I can say this. The prequels feel like their own thing. Even with Clone Troopers and Palpatine. Those movies I never felt like Lucas was rehashing the OT.

As much as I hate the prequels, I agree. TPM relied heavily on the story of ANH and added some politics for padding, but there was an original idea behind both AOTC and ROTS. If only those basic ideas were handed to a competent screenwriter and made into films by a skilled director, those could have been worthy additions to the saga. As they stand now, they are beyond saving, but not for the lack of originality.

Post
#1145489
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

NFBisms said:

Wexter said:

NFBisms said:

Wexter said:

You could tell the story of the events after ROTJ and make it stand on its own. You could even improve upon the originals (a difficult task, but not an impossible one). This movie did introduce some new and potentially interesting themes: out with the old and in with the new, the Force is out there for everybody and not just the gifted, animal cruelty is bad. But goddammit make up your own story to convey those themes.

I think this is the point though. It’s one of the main themes of the movie, expectation of legend vs our own humanity. The expectation that Luke is the infallible hero and legend who will step up to fight the First Order, Poe’s assumption that being simply brave and courageous alone is heroic, the expectation that Ben can still turn back to the light, that Finn and Rose’s adventure will make a difference on good intentions alone, or that Rey is a somebody…

I think parroting sequences to subvert them is how Johnson is presenting that theme that the legends and stories we (or the characters in this movie) try to live up to aren’t plausible. TLJ more than other SW movies tries to speak to our humanity and fallibility. Ben won’t turn back to the light side, Poe isn’t really a hero, Rey is a nobody, and Luke at his core is just a man. It turns around to paint the OT as an idealistic fairy tale, and that’s what’s so different about it thematically.

I think that theme becomes muddled if you don’t have the familiar story beats set up to subvert later. Otherwise you rely on even more the obvious telegraphing or expositing of the theme like some lesson at the end of a school special. Rose discovering her “Resistance hero” attempting to escape at the beginning would be an example.

That is a valid point, but I would argue that by doing that, you’re not really continuing the story. By doing that you are making a meta commentary on its earlier parts.

To be fair, that’s exactly what I said in one of my earlier posts. That’s what makes TLJ different for me.

http://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1145320

That is a very good post, don’t know how I missed that.

Post
#1145480
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

Ryan said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying I (and the minority who feels the same way) just don’t want new Star Wars films? If so, what are you basing this on?

DrDre said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

dahmage said:

Wexter said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

pleasehello said:

Because everyone on this forum loves RedLetterMedia so much:

Not sure if serious.

My reaction to captainsolo’s review.

Actually, it was very well put.

amazing, every single word you just said is wrong

Cute, but nah.

chyron8472 said:
TLJ dared to be new and unexpected and people hated it.

I reject this notion that TLJ “dared to be new”. It’s pretty frustrating seeing that posted everywhere. It’s doing the same damn thing all over again, just with different characters and in a slightly different order.

and i reject the notion that these movies are the same but just sligtly tweaked. ::shrug::

Is it just a case of there being people who want new films, and people who don’t, or is there really more to it? I am not convinced that it is anything more than the first option (some people just don’t want new films, despite what they say).

Well, I think it’s actually quite a challenge to find a story beat, that isn’t in some way derived from the OT. It usually either does more or less the same, or the opposite. If it was really a new story, it wouldn’t depend completely on OT events.

Yeah, i am saying it seems like people don’t want new star wars films, based on the fact that i completely fail to understand what people want. You can tell me that it is too derivative, or to similar, or didn’t do this or that. but i really have never understood what you or those other people would actually want to see.

So of course, i know that those who say these things often make claims about what they want. But despite this, i really don’t believe that they actually know what they want. Sure, that is me being a bit judgmental, but that is the truth about how it strikes me.

Once again, I want new Star Wars films. I quite liked TFA and R1 despite their flaws. I am just baffled that where most people - even some of its harshest critics - see originality in TLJ, I see just a slight variation.

So what again didn’t you like about TLJ, other than its supposed lack of new ideas? Because I thought TFA had no new ideas either?

The (not so) slight rehash of TFA was an issue. But back then I truly believed it served a specific purpose. To “begin to make things right”. Reintroduce the familiar and introduce the new, so that from there the story can go where it has never gone before. And then the rehash kept going, while most people applauded for something we’ve never seen before in Star Wars.

TFA and TLJ wouldn’t have been a rehash if there was no “New Order” type thing in these new movies. i.e. no Death Star, no Storm Troopers, No Star Destroyers, etc. and then you don’t get any rehash.

I wish I could go to an alternate universe and watch their ST that didn’t have a “New Order” type thing in it.

I’d say you could even have an imperial remnant being the villain group and still tell a completely original story. However, I feel like that was never an option with Disney. They just hired people to do something very similar to the OT.

(Once again, this is just a feeling I get from it all. I personally don’t know anybody who attends Disney staff meetings.)

Post
#1145464
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

NFBisms said:

Wexter said:

You could tell the story of the events after ROTJ and make it stand on its own. You could even improve upon the originals (a difficult task, but not an impossible one). This movie did introduce some new and potentially interesting themes: out with the old and in with the new, the Force is out there for everybody and not just the gifted, animal cruelty is bad. But goddammit make up your own story to convey those themes.

I think this is the point though. It’s one of the main themes of the movie, expectation of legend vs our own humanity. The expectation that Luke is the infallible hero and legend who will step up to fight the First Order, Poe’s assumption that being simply brave and courageous alone is heroic, the expectation that Ben can still turn back to the light, that Finn and Rose’s adventure will make a difference on good intentions alone, or that Rey is a somebody…

I think parroting sequences to subvert them is how Johnson is presenting that theme that the legends and stories we (or the characters in this movie) try to live up to aren’t plausible. TLJ more than other SW movies tries to speak to our humanity and fallibility. Ben won’t turn back to the light side, Poe isn’t really a hero, Rey is a nobody, and Luke at his core is just a man. It turns around to paint the OT as an idealistic fairy tale, and that’s what’s so different about it thematically.

I think that theme becomes muddled if you don’t have the familiar story beats set up to subvert later. Otherwise you rely on even more the obvious telegraphing or expositing of the theme like some lesson at the end of a school special. Rose discovering her “Resistance hero” attempting to escape at the beginning would be an example.

That is a valid point, but I would argue that by doing that, you’re not really continuing the story. By doing that you are making a meta commentary on its earlier parts.

Post
#1145459
Topic
4K restoration on Star Wars
Time

Jedi Master Skywalker said:

towne32 said:

Sometimes the post style reminds me of JMOW, but there have been some posts that are somewhat better written than JMOW was capable of. Plus several JMOW socks have come and gone since JMS has been here. I think that’s a bit too sophisticated for him…

Anyway, apparently Disney is putting out a 4K TLJ disc. So, maybe other Star Wars releases will follow.

thanks for saying my writing is more better written than JMOW

Dude, your writing is more better written than anything I have ever seen. You make the United Kingdom proud, my male friend.

Post
#1145415
Topic
The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS **
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Wexter said:

You could tell the story of the events after ROTJ and make it stand on its own. You could even improve upon the originals (a difficult task, but not an impossible one).

I would argue that it is literally an impossible one because people would never ever accept it as such.

I’m not arguing any of the three new movies are better than the OT, but based on the reaction to TLJ, it’s clear to me that no movie could ever eclipse the original in the “fans” minds.

I’m not sure how the “‘fans’ minds” feel about it all, but even the originals are just movies to me.