Okay folks, time for round 2.
“Godzilla’s back, and someone’s got to pay.”
Once again the episode was upscaled and silhouettes were isolated and placed in front of an HD source of the movie being riffed. No dialogue was removed.
We started with a Godzilla episode, so why not finish out the duology with Godzilla vs. Megalon (feat. Jet Jaguar and Gigan)?
Again, adjustments to accommodate the widescreen HD format include:
- using a rotoscoped final countdown door to open/close on the movie segment
- red curtains to cover Joel and the bots entering/exiting from within the frame. This is done 3 times in the episode. The last countdown door covers the rest
- about 6 shots reframed to fit Joel’s interaction with the screen
- filling out and animating Joel’s silhouette as he moves closer to the camera to show his impression of a giant kaiju
- color corrected the episode and the movie to boost saturation and contrast. Tweaked shot by shot during some of the night scenes
- created new English titles to match the timing of those in the episode, since my HD movie source (Criterion) only had the Japanese titles
- fixed several momentary video and audio glitches inherent to the source
- added custom “Turn Down Your Lights” opening, and recreated “A Best Brains Production” stinger clip at the end
It sounds so simple. I hate how long these take me, but they’re getting quicker. And you don’t have wait a year like the last one. This is done. PM me for a link.
Special thanks to Riffling for blazing the trails and upscaling the silhouettes and host segments. And to iNightmares for his technical and moral support. This project wouldn’t be where it is without either of them.
I promised 3 episodes by the end of the year and I hope to make good on that. Very exited for the next volume. It’ll be a step away from the Joel era (and giant monsters) as I tackle a classic Mike episode.
Here are the new titles I put together. Thanks to iNightmares for upscaling the youtube footage for me…