Sign In

Jay

User Group
Administrators
Join date
22-Feb-2003
Last activity
22-Oct-2021
Posts
2,403

Post History

Post
#1251273
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

RicOlie_2 said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

Jay said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

This past year has seen this forum turn to ass.

Off Topic has been ass for years.

The rest of the forum is fine.

Different strokes and all.

so then maybe leave off topic alone… just saying.

Hard to argue things weren’t more enjoyable here when off topic was unmoderated and we were allowed to have silly fun threads without fear of an admin locking them for seemingly no reason other than he can’t handle some joking criticism.

Unmoderated Off Topic was a caustic shithole that turned new members away.

You guys lived and breathed it for so long that you didn’t see it.

Right, moderated off topic is now incredibly inviting to new members.

The only “new member” who’s had difficulty recently is Collipso, and it should be obvious why.

You can point the finger at me all you want; it doesn’t erase the fact that for years you guys ran Off Topic like it was your private club and membership was based on your approval. That ended a while back and some of you have been salty ever since.

I actually wasn’t much of a frequent poster in off topic until around the time it became moderated, but when I was new here I always appreciated the goofiness that populated the section. So you lumping me in with this nefarious “you guys” generalization is not just condescending, but inaccurate. Not to mention most of the “hazing” you’re talking about was limited to the myspleen thread, which you locked anyway. But you’re free to make up whatever you like to justify your reasoning, it’s your site of course.

I’m not making things up. The overall behavior in Off Topic when it was unmoderated was poor. Your characterization of that behavior being limited to a few threads is inaccurate.

If you didn’t actively participate in that behavior, you have my apologies. I don’t have a running catalog in my brain of every post by every member.

In fairness to what they’re saying, the lack of moderation and amount of ridiculousness in Off Topic was the main reason I stuck around. I get where you’re coming from, though, since that’s not what you intended this site to be. I think it got ugly when the new movies came out and the established community didn’t do a good job adapting to the reality of newcomers who had different expectations for the site (and the Frink-Fo Wars and Darth IDiocy were pretty frustrating as well).

That’s pretty much the case. I didn’t have a problem with old timers going after each other if that’s what made them happy, but the forum overall had a bad reputation for being not very welcoming to newcomers and it was especially toxic in Off Topic.

Post
#1251223
Topic
Going away? Post so here!
Time

eiyosus said:

[Jay said:]I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

Speaking as somebody who was just discharged from a psych clinic after an extended stay, this statement is very far from the truth.

It was a stupid thing to say. mfm, I apologize. We may not agree on many things and I think the rest of the exchange has merit, but regardless of my own experiences, I don’t know yours and suggesting I know what’s going on in your head was wrong.

eiyosus, I’m glad you’re on the other end of treatment and hope you’re doing well.

Post
#1251197
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

moviefreakedmind said:

It also isn’t just people in Off-Topic that have felt threatened by your attitude. People that only frequent the General Star Wars Discussion forum have pointed out in the toxic fandom thread and, I believe, in the politics and diversity thread (which you created and also deleted) that they felt uncomfortable engaging with you due to a combination of your hostility and your administrative powers.

I find this criticism interesting coming from a member I’d say has one of the most hostile attitudes on the forum, but okay, it’s based in reality because I do get hostile sometimes when discussing politics and people are freaked out by the admin badge, so fair play.

I don’t have the power to ban people or delete all evidence of prior discussion. My hostility carries absolutely no weight. Yours, on the other hand, does.

That doesn’t change the fact that you’re extremely hostile.

I didn’t delete any evidence and will likely restore those threads (at least make them readable, anyway) under a members-only section as I mentioned elsewhere, but keep going with this storyline if it allows you to fuel your anger.

Post
#1251195
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

hairy_hen said:

I don’t really want to wade into this mess, because usually I’m content to either ignore the stupidity that goes on, or just sit back and occasionally throw spitballs at it, but I feel compelled to say that the administrative “contributions” to the political thread before its removal were utterly infuriating.

When terrible things are happening in the world, and people try to express their frustration with said terrible things, for someone to come along and tell them their concerns are meaningless, and that they are just overreacting, is a remarkable display of tone-deafness. This is the message I heard over and over, and not only was it ill-advised, it was extremely condescending and insulting. I couldn’t even begin to guess the number of times I had an angry response to these absurd posts on the tip of my tongue, only to end up restraining myself because it simply would have fallen on deaf ears and accomplished nothing.

I won’t get any more specific than that, but suffice to say I was very disappointed to learn the latest round of disagreements had been settled in such an arbitrary fashion. When there’s as much bad feeling going on in this forum as there is, it’s helpful to be able to recognize that people have genuine reason to be as upset as they are, rather than just dismissing their concerns and calling them “childish”. That seems to be an ongoing theme with the administration of this place, though.

Truth be told, I’ve hardly posted here very much for the past few years, because I quickly tire of petty bickering and simply have better things to do than engage with it. I like to think I’ve made meaningful contributions to the cause of Star Wars preservation, if the positive comments on my work are anything to go by, but this is no longer the only place where that can happen. In spite of the stupidity, I often looked to the silliness of the off-topic section for a laugh when I needed one, but it looks like there’s going to be a lot less fun and a lot more bad feeling around here from now on.

Still, maybe it is better to just get rid of the whole topic. After all, I know plenty of people in real life who are perfectly nice in many other ways, but bring up anything political and they immediately turn into horrible monsters, and the only way to avoid strangling each other is to avoid the subject completely. If generations of human society can’t solve this dilemma, there’s no reason to think one forum should be able to do it, either.

So you disagreed with my politics and that made you angry, which of course makes me wrong (possibly a “horrible monster”, like the people you know who disagree with you) because your feelings dictate reality. You might consider that there was plenty of hyperbole and dismissive behavior on both sides of the debate. You might also consider the Politics threads weren’t places for people to get therapy to help them deal with world events, but to discuss those events and debate the surrounding politics.

The “toxic fandom” thread, despite its political nature, is still alive and kicking and acting as a support thread for those who don’t like what’s going on in the fandom currently, and the mods and I have made significant effort to keep that thread positive despite the fact that I don’t agree with everything that’s been said.

For what it’s worth, I don’t consider people I disagree with to be horrible monsters, and I don’t think you’re one, and we probably agree on more than you realize. But as everyone who participated in the Politics threads knows, I’m a far-right sympathizer 😕

Post
#1251190
Topic
Going away? Post so here!
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

To be fair, I’ve let my emotions get the better of me during political discussions lately—not to the point of posting flagrant insults, but I did anger some folks when I rebuked someone in a less-than-flattering way.

Lol, remember that time you accused me of being dishonest about my suicidal tendencies because, in your opinion, suicidal people don’t care enough about life to debate politics? Conveniently, that post of yours, along with the rest of the thread, is invisible now. People are not angry by your “less-than-flattering” behavior.

Here are our posts on the subject:



moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

Laugh more, you’ll live longer.

Why would anyone want to live longer?

This is why I don’t take you or your posts seriously.


Jay said:

moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

Laugh more, you’ll live longer.

Why would anyone want to live longer?

This is why I don’t take you or your posts seriously.

I’m sure I’ll lose plenty of sleep over that. For what it’s worth, the reason no one here takes your posts seriously is because you’re unwilling to admit what you actually believe.

EDIT: Also, it’s kind of interesting that you shrug off people that want to die as not being worthy of getting taken seriously. What does that have to do with my statements on other things?

EDIT2: Not to mention, that’s another tactic I’ve noticed you use a lot. You just find some arbitrary reason to ignore people’s statements so that you don’t have to actually address them.


moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

Laugh more, you’ll live longer.

Why would anyone want to live longer?

This is why I don’t take you or your posts seriously.

I’m sure I’ll lose plenty of sleep over that. For what it’s worth, the reason no one here takes your posts seriously is because you’re unwilling to admit what you actually believe.

Ask me any question about any issue you’d like and I’ll tell you what I believe. Go ahead. List 10 issues — healthcare, abortion, guns, immigration, net neutrality, whatever — and you’ll find I do indeed lean left on some and right on others.

EDIT: Also, it’s kind of interesting that you shrug off people that want to die as not being worthy of getting taken seriously. What does that have to do with my statements on other things?

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.


Jay said:

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

Why do people think that my outlook is for the amusement or annoyance of others? Read my posts in this thread, it’s obvious that I think quality of life is shit and most people are equally shit. I think everything is more or less a lost cause. You don’t know shit about me, and I don’t know what makes you an expert on what people who don’t think life is worth living like to do.


TV’s Frink said:

Jay said:

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

I find this post terribly irresponsible. What if you’re wrong?

That would be unfortunate. mfm should seek help, but he’s said repeatedly he won’t seek any form of treatment.

I’d like him to stop referencing the meaninglessness of life as if it’s a supporting argument. I’d also like him to stop mapping his feelings about life and death onto everyone else (“Why would anyone want to live longer?”). Whether he really wants to die or not, almost everyone else doesn’t. I won’t indulge that. Suicide has affected me personally several times. I can assure you I take it seriously.


Jay said:

TV’s Frink said:

Jay said:

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

I find this post terribly irresponsible. What if you’re wrong?

That would be unfortunate. mfm should seek help, but he’s said repeatedly he won’t seek any form of treatment.

I’d like him to stop referencing the meaninglessness of life as if it’s a supporting argument. I’d also like him to stop mapping his feelings about life and death onto everyone else (“Why would anyone want to live longer?”). Whether he really wants to die or not, almost everyone else doesn’t. I won’t indulge that. Suicide has affected me personally several times. I can assure you I take it seriously.

I don’t like being referred to as though I’m not present. If you find me so objectionable then tell me, don’t talk to other people about me like I’m an animal or child.


moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

TV’s Frink said:

Jay said:

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

I find this post terribly irresponsible. What if you’re wrong?

That would be unfortunate. mfm should seek help, but he’s said repeatedly he won’t seek any form of treatment.

I’d like him to stop referencing the meaninglessness of life as if it’s a supporting argument. I’d also like him to stop mapping his feelings about life and death onto everyone else (“Why would anyone want to live longer?”). Whether he really wants to die or not, almost everyone else doesn’t. I won’t indulge that. Suicide has affected me personally several times. I can assure you I take it seriously.

I don’t like being referred to as though I’m not present. If you find me so objectionable then tell me, don’t talk to other people about me like I’m an animal or child.

I was responding to Frink’s post, hence the third person reference. It wasn’t meant as an insult, but problems with perception vs. reality seems to be a recurring theme here.

I’m extending my previous decision not to respond to you regarding that single issue to all your posts from now on. I don’t believe you’re capable of rational discussion and won’t be drawn in further.


Jay said:

moviefreakedmind said:

Jay said:

TV’s Frink said:

Jay said:

I don’t take you seriously because I don’t believe you really want to die. People who think life isn’t worth living don’t spend their time debating topics that are largely about quality of life.

I find this post terribly irresponsible. What if you’re wrong?

That would be unfortunate. mfm should seek help, but he’s said repeatedly he won’t seek any form of treatment.

I’d like him to stop referencing the meaninglessness of life as if it’s a supporting argument. I’d also like him to stop mapping his feelings about life and death onto everyone else (“Why would anyone want to live longer?”). Whether he really wants to die or not, almost everyone else doesn’t. I won’t indulge that. Suicide has affected me personally several times. I can assure you I take it seriously.

I don’t like being referred to as though I’m not present. If you find me so objectionable then tell me, don’t talk to other people about me like I’m an animal or child.

I was responding to Frink’s post, hence the third person reference. It wasn’t meant as an insult, but problems with perception vs. reality seems to be a recurring theme here.

I’m extending my previous decision not to respond to you regarding that single issue to all your posts from now on. I don’t believe you’re capable of rational discussion and won’t be drawn in further.

You never really responded anyway. You’re unwilling to actually share what your real stance is. Reading your lies about not being a right-wing sympathizer isn’t really worth my time either.



That should be all of it. Edit: Added a few more.

Post
#1251179
Topic
Going away? Post so here!
Time

RicOlie_2 said:

I didn’t have a chance to read the relevant political discussions, but in the past, Jay has seemed much more level-headed and pleasant to debate than Frink, Possessed, etc., so I’m not sure what to make of all this. It’s a shame the funnest contributors all got banned, but at the same time, people certainly do seem to be acting “like babies.”

Hopefully we’ll see a return to normalcy though. I’d be quite sad if the people I’ve gotten to know over the last few years end up permabanned because of all this ridiculousness.

To be fair, I’ve let my emotions get the better of me during political discussions lately—not to the point of posting flagrant insults, but I did anger some folks when I rebuked someone in a less-than-flattering way. I posted my thoughts here:

https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1251173/action/topic#1251173

I haven’t made final decisions on the bans, but Collipso’s post to start that thread doesn’t bode well for his return.

Post
#1251175
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

dahmage said:

Jay said:

I don’t know what I’m going to do to resolve this conflict between contributor and admin, but I know it’s something I need to address.

I don’t know the answer either but I’m glad to see it is something you are planning to figure out.

If running this site really is a drag on you maybe you need to have an admin team.

Running the site isn’t a drag, it’s the idea of only running it and not being able to participate in any meaningful way because people are afraid that I’m going to ban them if I don’t like their opinion.

It’s not a fair assessment of how I’ve run things in my opinion, but I acknowledge the fear.

Post
#1251173
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

OutboundFlight said:

Jay might overreact to certain things, but this post is just proof the same applies to you (if not more). He doesn’t deserve most of what you said.

I mean, to be fair, Jay deleted most of the threads that contained posts of his that would show he might have, in fact, deserved most of what has been said recently, so…

If you honestly believe I deserve most of what Collipso said, I don’t understand why you’re still here. How could this forum possibly function in any capacity with such a despot in charge?

I let my emotions get the better of me in the various politics threads—which would make me no different than most other participants—but I’m not ashamed of the intent behind my posts or for pushing contributors to offer more than snark in response to valid arguments. Even the most heated exchanges didn’t result in warnings or bans as long as they stayed on point, but I warned participants repeatedly that one-liner snark responses were not helpful and they should get out if they couldn’t contribute meaningfully. My response to one such post was probably overboard (though still fairly mild to any mature adult on the receiving end…“acting like an ass” or “being an ass” were my words I believe), at which point the pitchforks came out because I “broke my own rules” with a personal insult.

This is going to piss off some people, but everyone is already pissed, so fuck it: I think the hostility towards my posts in the politics threads has way more to do with my opinions than the way I carry myself, and if I were arguing in favor of the majority opinion in those threads, my “hostility” would rarely, if ever, get called out. I think some people wait for any excuse to go after an authority figure and then pounce at the first opportunity, which my slip-up in the Politics 2 thread enabled. And I think that some people aren’t mature enough to move past a passionate political debate and prefer to hold grudges that carry over into other discussions.

Perhaps given my repeated warnings I should’ve just temp-banned that member instead of responding the way I did, but I’m fairly certain everyone who lost their mind yesterday over those threads being removed would still have lost their minds over the temporary ban, because people love an excuse to rage, and the situation would’ve ended up pretty much the same.

Post
#1251166
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

Jay said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

This past year has seen this forum turn to ass.

Off Topic has been ass for years.

The rest of the forum is fine.

Different strokes and all.

so then maybe leave off topic alone… just saying.

Hard to argue things weren’t more enjoyable here when off topic was unmoderated and we were allowed to have silly fun threads without fear of an admin locking them for seemingly no reason other than he can’t handle some joking criticism.

Unmoderated Off Topic was a caustic shithole that turned new members away.

You guys lived and breathed it for so long that you didn’t see it.

Right, moderated off topic is now incredibly inviting to new members.

The only “new member” who’s had difficulty recently is Collipso, and it should be obvious why.

You can point the finger at me all you want; it doesn’t erase the fact that for years you guys ran Off Topic like it was your private club and membership was based on your approval. That ended a while back and some of you have been salty ever since.

I actually wasn’t much of a frequent poster in off topic until around the time it became moderated, but when I was new here I always appreciated the goofiness that populated the section. So you lumping me in with this nefarious “you guys” generalization is not just condescending, but inaccurate. Not to mention most of the “hazing” you’re talking about was limited to the myspleen thread, which you locked anyway. But you’re free to make up whatever you like to justify your reasoning, it’s your site of course.

I’m not making things up. The overall behavior in Off Topic when it was unmoderated was poor. Your characterization of that behavior being limited to a few threads is inaccurate.

If you didn’t actively participate in that behavior, you have my apologies. I don’t have a running catalog in my brain of every post by every member.

As respectfully as I can say so, I don’t have a problem with the fact that you don’t have a perfect memory of the forum, but perhaps the generalizing demonizations is the exact kind of attitude that you could try to move beyond if you really do want this place to seem welcoming and to avoid more public flame out “fuck you Jay” posts.

As I said, I shouldn’t have generalized and I apologize for doing so. If you say you’re innocent, I’m not going to rifle through thousands of old posts in an attempt to prove otherwise.

Those who flamed out yesterday were part of the caustic environment I spoke of and I have no apologies to offer them. They can stay gone.

moviefreakedmind said:

It also isn’t just people in Off-Topic that have felt threatened by your attitude. People that only frequent the General Star Wars Discussion forum have pointed out in the toxic fandom thread and, I believe, in the politics and diversity thread (which you created and also deleted) that they felt uncomfortable engaging with you due to a combination of your hostility and your administrative powers.

I find this criticism interesting coming from a member I’d say has one of the most hostile attitudes on the forum, but okay, it’s based in reality because I do get hostile sometimes when discussing politics and people are freaked out by the admin badge, so fair play.

I created the forum because I wanted to have a place to talk about Star Wars and other nerd stuff, but I’ve struggled with the balance between meaningful participation and administrative responsibility. I don’t feel I should have to hold back in order to accommodate someone else’s sensibilities, but I understand why my admin status would cause some to feel intimidated. That’s not a feeling rooted in reality, however. I don’t ban people for disagreeing with me, even vehemently. Never have.

I’ve absolutely used my admin status to come down hard on members who don’t contribute meaningfully to a political discussion, and I’ll continue that without reservation if the politics threads are restored to active status. Some people are as threatened by a strong opinion from the opposite side of the debate as they are of the admin badge, and I think the admin badge provides a convenient way out when things start to get heated. Note that this accusation of “you’re an admin so this isn’t fair” has only happened in the various political discussions as far as I’m aware.

After years of minimal participation, I started posting again because maintaining the forum isn’t terribly satisfying by itself and I have no idea why I’d keep the doors open if my participation was only that of administrator. I zoned out for years in that support role and only responded to technical issues when they came up. The site would go down for days because of the hosting service we used at the time, and I just didn’t care because I felt no connection to the community.

I don’t know what I’m going to do to resolve this conflict between contributor and admin, but I know it’s something I need to address.

Post
#1251062
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

OutboundFlight said:

Remember that Jay is in charge of the site so without him, this forum wouldn’t exist. Every single good memory yoh’ve had here is, indirectly, because of him. He brought everybody together, yet it’s you who are breaking them apart.

While this is true in the strictest sense, it’s the members who’ve participated over the years who’ve made the community what it is. The mods and I shape it a bit with the rules and such, but starting the site was just a chance thing I did one day because I was angry about some DVDs and it seemed like a lot of other people were, too. Someone else could’ve started a petition and forum that day and I would’ve been just another participant.

I don’t want to minimize the work that’s gone into maintaining and moderating the site (the mods put up with a lot and I blindsided them on this one), but I don’t want to overstate my contribution either.

Post
#1251044
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

NeverarGreat said:

Collipso made the mistake of thinking that this forum is a democracy. It isn’t, nor should it be.

One thing I worry about is that the toxicity once held in the politics thread could drift into other areas of the forum once somewhat immune. How often have we said ‘Take it to the politics thread’ to preserve the civility of another one? Now the only recourse is to ban members who wish to express political views, or lock any thread which becomes mired in such toxicity. For this reason, I think there’s a place for such a thread.

I’ve had this debate countless times over the years with many members, both in public and in private, and the reason political threads remained open is because I felt as you do for a long time.

However, I’ve come to believe that in the current climate, the exact opposite has been happening: bad blood started in Politics was spreading to other parts of the forum. A disagreement in a political discussion would lead to a snide comment in what was otherwise a benign topic, then down it would go.

I also don’t believe that the politics threads were promoting a genuine exchange of ideas. They simply mirrored the current social media climate.

I take responsibility for my role in that. Perhaps it was better when I wasn’t contributing, but that’s also when I felt the least interested in the community or the site.

But bigger picture, what do we want in this forum?

I think everyone who frequents this site comes here because they find something here to enjoy, whether it’s the projects, the other members, Star Wars in general, or even some peculiar interest only served by the Off-Topic section. For me, I try to read every topic in the General and Fan Preservation/Fan Edits sections, and much of the Off-Topic section(s). I love to see people’s creativity and hear their love for movies. I think there is still a lot of this site which feels like it’s from an earlier internet time, when the camaraderie of shared interests overwhelmed any cynicism or division. Or maybe I joined in a time of relative calm, where the Star Wars universe was just six movies forvermore and we all knew how we felt about them, and this is all a case of rose-colored glasses.

The temptation is strong to descend into mean-spirited arguments with other members, to make decisions one later regrets. I’m no stranger to that vice. So I guess my point is that we could all stand to remember what brought us here in the first place, and what we want this site to be.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while myself, and I’ll admit that my relative lack of enthusiasm for the franchise’s most recent entries has left me wondering why I’m still doing it.

Post
#1251002
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

LordZerome1080 said:

While I have only been here for a few years, I can say that there were more members here. Of course some things got changed but I can’t say whether things are better or not yet as it is too soon to say. However I don’t necessarily like the fact that certain kind fellows like Possessed, Collipso, Frink Your Majesty and a few others have been placed on forced leave. This is all my opinion based off of the scant information that has been left for public consumption by this fourm’s upper class. Please don’t ban me for disagreeing like the ones listed have.

No one was banned for “disagreeing”. If that were the case, there are at least 5 or 10 other members who’d be banned right now.

I can understand why some might disagree with Frink’s ban, especially since he went back and deleted a lot of his posts, but a cursory review of Collipso’s and Possessed’s final contributions to the forum shouldn’t leave any doubt as to why they were banned.

Post
#1251001
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

chyron8472 said:

Jay said:

chyron8472 said:

Jay said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Collipso said:

hello. i’m collipso. i registered less than one year ago, when my life was the shittiest its ever been and Star Wars helped me cope with everything. this place ended up helping A LOT too, so first and foremost, thank you all.

somehow though, like many mentioned, the forum has been decreasing in enjoyment constantly (for me) ever since shortly after the TLJ debates died out, which was around march or april.

i really enjoyed off-topic at first. man it was funny as heck, and the regulars here are just really nice people, all of them. at least all i can think of right now.

but… as of right now, i feel desolated. absolutely desolated. an extremely authoritarian action has been taken by the far right claims-to-be-centrist asshole Jay.

honestly Jay, when i first found out that you weren’t exactly appreciated here, i decided to defend you. our interactions had been fun and i quite liked you. i even understood it when you banned me, even though of course the “next guy who posts something gets banned” made no sense and treated us all like children.

but… you became what everyone said you were. an asshole. an idiot. a dick. you started to get in fights where you were obviously wrong but because of how arrogant you are it you completely blind to everyone else’s point of view and to everything that was ACTUALLY going on. i see you’ve brainwashed oojason for example, who claims to deal with facts while only spilling lies, your lies, only your side of the story. half truths are lies too, man.

you refuse to listen to others. you only care about what you think and yourself. you’re no leader. you’re no administrator. you’re nothing more than a man baby who thinks he’s opressed and gets it out on us. fucking pathetic. you’re fucking pathetic sometimes. most times.

and now you banned politics. banned. politics. that was incredibly childish of you. politics is something that’s at the core of every human being. everything is politics. art is political. Star Wars is political. you don’t just get to ban it. this is censorship and a dictatorship. and i won’t take it up the ass. never.

i ask you to reconsider it. unban politics. unlock the threads. grow the fuck up. people disagreed with you, got into heated arguments. that fucking happens, man. fucking deal. but no. dahmage said cool. so he’s an ass. therefore fuck the entire subject of politics.

it just makes no sense and is extremely childish.

you couldn’t follow your own rules man. you attacked others personally and failed to admit it, to apologize. to everyone. that caused the shitstorm we’re seeing, because you’re an asshole, but an asshole with power. those are the worst types of assholes.

so congratulations jay. you didn’t nuke off-topic, but you might as well have. most regular members are gone or leaving. you managed to take away all the fun in this place. all of it. so fuck you. fuck, you.

after months and months of going after frink and some other regular members, you finally did it. you’ve ruined this place to the community that built it. you’ve banned the guy with 80k posts. you’re making decades old members leave.

so i ask you to reconsider, and write an open letter apologizing for everything and unbanning frink and politics. it’s the honorable thing for you to do. it’s actually the only honorable thing for you to do. it’d make me reconsider.

with this, i can say i am leaving the forum. i’ll finish like i started, by thanking you guys. i’ve made some really good friends, such as darthrush, ChainsawAsh (whom i almost met, damn you circumstances!) possessed, frink, dahmage, dom, warb, coffee, and duracell. i never got to tell you before duracell but you might be one of the funniest people around. you, dahmage, frink… i’m going to miss you guys.

so yeah. you’ll see it eventually, Jay. you’re being an idiot, a hypocrite, an asshole. a fucking child. the stupidiest is the one who thinks they know everything. you fit the desceiption. so fuck you, and, sadly, fuck this place. but i’m carrying with me in my heart many good moments and i’m going to be in touch with those i really like. if i don’t end up banned, know that i’m not coming back.

thanks jay. you managed to fuck everything up. please, go drive into a tree.

It’s true. All of it.

Sorry to see you’ve become a casualty of Jay’s arrogance and self-righteousness, too, Collipso. In your short time here you’ve become one of my favorite members of this site I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Talk to you soon, buddy.

In, you know, a more welcoming atmosphere than what this place has become.

I’m sorry to read this since I respect your opinion, but if you really feel this way, you can leave. Everyone who feels this way can.

You’ll forgive me if I don’t drive into a tree over all this.

chucking whole threads with decades-worth of posts over.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-deletion-of-the-political-threads/id/63465

The possibility of the action not being permanent doesn’t necessarily negate it being made.

Eh. I stand by what I said. It really didn’t need to end this way.

Except nothing has ended and the threads haven’t been destroyed, nor has this place fundamentally changed except within the minds of a few who think not being able to snipe at each other over politics is somehow the end of the forum. It’s not.

Someone compared today’s events to Infinity War, and I suppose from your perspective it might be, but from my perspective, it’s reminiscent of a time years ago when I was called a Nazi/censor/etc. for deleting some posts and pushing a few troublesome members toward the exit. Some of those members cooled off and came back, some didn’t. Ultimately, nothing of value was lost.

If the end result of all this is that Off Topic goes a bit quiet and the other categories continue as they have been, I don’t have a problem with it. I’ve been hearing for years that this place sucks now, it’s not like it used to be, and every other variation of “things were better when…” you can imagine. I used to allow my mood to be influenced by that and it still stings occasionally, like in this thread, but I’m mostly immune to it now.

Post
#1250927
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

Jay said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

This past year has seen this forum turn to ass.

Off Topic has been ass for years.

The rest of the forum is fine.

Different strokes and all.

so then maybe leave off topic alone… just saying.

Hard to argue things weren’t more enjoyable here when off topic was unmoderated and we were allowed to have silly fun threads without fear of an admin locking them for seemingly no reason other than he can’t handle some joking criticism.

Unmoderated Off Topic was a caustic shithole that turned new members away.

You guys lived and breathed it for so long that you didn’t see it.

Right, moderated off topic is now incredibly inviting to new members.

The only “new member” who’s had difficulty recently is Collipso, and it should be obvious why.

You can point the finger at me all you want; it doesn’t erase the fact that for years you guys ran Off Topic like it was your private club and membership was based on your approval. That ended a while back and some of you have been salty ever since.

I actually wasn’t much of a frequent poster in off topic until around the time it became moderated, but when I was new here I always appreciated the goofiness that populated the section. So you lumping me in with this nefarious “you guys” generalization is not just condescending, but inaccurate. Not to mention most of the “hazing” you’re talking about was limited to the myspleen thread, which you locked anyway. But you’re free to make up whatever you like to justify your reasoning, it’s your site of course.

I’m not making things up. The overall behavior in Off Topic when it was unmoderated was poor. Your characterization of that behavior being limited to a few threads is inaccurate.

If you didn’t actively participate in that behavior, you have my apologies. I don’t have a running catalog in my brain of every post by every member.

Post
#1250924
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

chyron8472 said:

Jay said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Collipso said:

hello. i’m collipso. i registered less than one year ago, when my life was the shittiest its ever been and Star Wars helped me cope with everything. this place ended up helping A LOT too, so first and foremost, thank you all.

somehow though, like many mentioned, the forum has been decreasing in enjoyment constantly (for me) ever since shortly after the TLJ debates died out, which was around march or april.

i really enjoyed off-topic at first. man it was funny as heck, and the regulars here are just really nice people, all of them. at least all i can think of right now.

but… as of right now, i feel desolated. absolutely desolated. an extremely authoritarian action has been taken by the far right claims-to-be-centrist asshole Jay.

honestly Jay, when i first found out that you weren’t exactly appreciated here, i decided to defend you. our interactions had been fun and i quite liked you. i even understood it when you banned me, even though of course the “next guy who posts something gets banned” made no sense and treated us all like children.

but… you became what everyone said you were. an asshole. an idiot. a dick. you started to get in fights where you were obviously wrong but because of how arrogant you are it you completely blind to everyone else’s point of view and to everything that was ACTUALLY going on. i see you’ve brainwashed oojason for example, who claims to deal with facts while only spilling lies, your lies, only your side of the story. half truths are lies too, man.

you refuse to listen to others. you only care about what you think and yourself. you’re no leader. you’re no administrator. you’re nothing more than a man baby who thinks he’s opressed and gets it out on us. fucking pathetic. you’re fucking pathetic sometimes. most times.

and now you banned politics. banned. politics. that was incredibly childish of you. politics is something that’s at the core of every human being. everything is politics. art is political. Star Wars is political. you don’t just get to ban it. this is censorship and a dictatorship. and i won’t take it up the ass. never.

i ask you to reconsider it. unban politics. unlock the threads. grow the fuck up. people disagreed with you, got into heated arguments. that fucking happens, man. fucking deal. but no. dahmage said cool. so he’s an ass. therefore fuck the entire subject of politics.

it just makes no sense and is extremely childish.

you couldn’t follow your own rules man. you attacked others personally and failed to admit it, to apologize. to everyone. that caused the shitstorm we’re seeing, because you’re an asshole, but an asshole with power. those are the worst types of assholes.

so congratulations jay. you didn’t nuke off-topic, but you might as well have. most regular members are gone or leaving. you managed to take away all the fun in this place. all of it. so fuck you. fuck, you.

after months and months of going after frink and some other regular members, you finally did it. you’ve ruined this place to the community that built it. you’ve banned the guy with 80k posts. you’re making decades old members leave.

so i ask you to reconsider, and write an open letter apologizing for everything and unbanning frink and politics. it’s the honorable thing for you to do. it’s actually the only honorable thing for you to do. it’d make me reconsider.

with this, i can say i am leaving the forum. i’ll finish like i started, by thanking you guys. i’ve made some really good friends, such as darthrush, ChainsawAsh (whom i almost met, damn you circumstances!) possessed, frink, dahmage, dom, warb, coffee, and duracell. i never got to tell you before duracell but you might be one of the funniest people around. you, dahmage, frink… i’m going to miss you guys.

so yeah. you’ll see it eventually, Jay. you’re being an idiot, a hypocrite, an asshole. a fucking child. the stupidiest is the one who thinks they know everything. you fit the desceiption. so fuck you, and, sadly, fuck this place. but i’m carrying with me in my heart many good moments and i’m going to be in touch with those i really like. if i don’t end up banned, know that i’m not coming back.

thanks jay. you managed to fuck everything up. please, go drive into a tree.

It’s true. All of it.

Sorry to see you’ve become a casualty of Jay’s arrogance and self-righteousness, too, Collipso. In your short time here you’ve become one of my favorite members of this site I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Talk to you soon, buddy.

In, you know, a more welcoming atmosphere than what this place has become.

I’m sorry to read this since I respect your opinion, but if you really feel this way, you can leave. Everyone who feels this way can.

You’ll forgive me if I don’t drive into a tree over all this.

chucking whole threads with decades-worth of posts over.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-deletion-of-the-political-threads/id/63465

Post
#1250911
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

snooker said:

And you’re innocent of these crimes?

Of hazing new members and treating them poorly? Yes. I only dealt with new members harshly when they were obviously trolling. If anything, I usually gave them too much leeway and the other mods would bring it to my attention asking if we should intervene.

Collipso posted on an issue right after I warned everyone that the next post would result in a ban, then when I unbanned him a few days later, he PM’d me to call me an asshole, and I let it drop. Pretty sure that’s the harshest treatment I’ve administered to a new member.

I’m not sure what “crimes” you’re referring to other than that.

Post
#1250904
Topic
open letter by Collipso
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Collipso said:

hello. i’m collipso. i registered less than one year ago, when my life was the shittiest its ever been and Star Wars helped me cope with everything. this place ended up helping A LOT too, so first and foremost, thank you all.

somehow though, like many mentioned, the forum has been decreasing in enjoyment constantly (for me) ever since shortly after the TLJ debates died out, which was around march or april.

i really enjoyed off-topic at first. man it was funny as heck, and the regulars here are just really nice people, all of them. at least all i can think of right now.

but… as of right now, i feel desolated. absolutely desolated. an extremely authoritarian action has been taken by the far right claims-to-be-centrist asshole Jay.

honestly Jay, when i first found out that you weren’t exactly appreciated here, i decided to defend you. our interactions had been fun and i quite liked you. i even understood it when you banned me, even though of course the “next guy who posts something gets banned” made no sense and treated us all like children.

but… you became what everyone said you were. an asshole. an idiot. a dick. you started to get in fights where you were obviously wrong but because of how arrogant you are it you completely blind to everyone else’s point of view and to everything that was ACTUALLY going on. i see you’ve brainwashed oojason for example, who claims to deal with facts while only spilling lies, your lies, only your side of the story. half truths are lies too, man.

you refuse to listen to others. you only care about what you think and yourself. you’re no leader. you’re no administrator. you’re nothing more than a man baby who thinks he’s opressed and gets it out on us. fucking pathetic. you’re fucking pathetic sometimes. most times.

and now you banned politics. banned. politics. that was incredibly childish of you. politics is something that’s at the core of every human being. everything is politics. art is political. Star Wars is political. you don’t just get to ban it. this is censorship and a dictatorship. and i won’t take it up the ass. never.

i ask you to reconsider it. unban politics. unlock the threads. grow the fuck up. people disagreed with you, got into heated arguments. that fucking happens, man. fucking deal. but no. dahmage said cool. so he’s an ass. therefore fuck the entire subject of politics.

it just makes no sense and is extremely childish.

you couldn’t follow your own rules man. you attacked others personally and failed to admit it, to apologize. to everyone. that caused the shitstorm we’re seeing, because you’re an asshole, but an asshole with power. those are the worst types of assholes.

so congratulations jay. you didn’t nuke off-topic, but you might as well have. most regular members are gone or leaving. you managed to take away all the fun in this place. all of it. so fuck you. fuck, you.

after months and months of going after frink and some other regular members, you finally did it. you’ve ruined this place to the community that built it. you’ve banned the guy with 80k posts. you’re making decades old members leave.

so i ask you to reconsider, and write an open letter apologizing for everything and unbanning frink and politics. it’s the honorable thing for you to do. it’s actually the only honorable thing for you to do. it’d make me reconsider.

with this, i can say i am leaving the forum. i’ll finish like i started, by thanking you guys. i’ve made some really good friends, such as darthrush, ChainsawAsh (whom i almost met, damn you circumstances!) possessed, frink, dahmage, dom, warb, coffee, and duracell. i never got to tell you before duracell but you might be one of the funniest people around. you, dahmage, frink… i’m going to miss you guys.

so yeah. you’ll see it eventually, Jay. you’re being an idiot, a hypocrite, an asshole. a fucking child. the stupidiest is the one who thinks they know everything. you fit the desceiption. so fuck you, and, sadly, fuck this place. but i’m carrying with me in my heart many good moments and i’m going to be in touch with those i really like. if i don’t end up banned, know that i’m not coming back.

thanks jay. you managed to fuck everything up. please, go drive into a tree.

It’s true. All of it.

Sorry to see you’ve become a casualty of Jay’s arrogance and self-righteousness, too, Collipso. In your short time here you’ve become one of my favorite members of this site I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with. Talk to you soon, buddy.

In, you know, a more welcoming atmosphere than what this place has become.

I’m sorry to read this since I respect your opinion, but if you really feel this way, you can leave. Everyone who feels this way can.

You’ll forgive me if I don’t drive into a tree over all this.

Post
#1250900
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

DominicCobb said:

Jay said:

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

Jay said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

This past year has seen this forum turn to ass.

Off Topic has been ass for years.

The rest of the forum is fine.

Different strokes and all.

so then maybe leave off topic alone… just saying.

Hard to argue things weren’t more enjoyable here when off topic was unmoderated and we were allowed to have silly fun threads without fear of an admin locking them for seemingly no reason other than he can’t handle some joking criticism.

Unmoderated Off Topic was a caustic shithole that turned new members away.

You guys lived and breathed it for so long that you didn’t see it.

Right, moderated off topic is now incredibly inviting to new members.

The only “new member” who’s had difficulty recently is Collipso, and it should be obvious why.

You can point the finger at me all you want; it doesn’t erase the fact that for years you guys ran Off Topic like it was your private club and membership was based on your approval. That ended a while back and some of you have been salty ever since.

Post
#1250895
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

snooker said:

His point

Your head

Not at all.

Old Off Topic treated new members like shit and drove them away with its grade school-like hazing. It was only silly and fun if you fell in line with the humor of the in-crowd; it was miserable for you otherwise.

And a lot of that behavior spread to the rest of the forum. New members would show up and get called out for asking questions or just trying to fit in. That attitude was perpetuated by many of the members who spend most of their time in this section and who label themselves as oppressed today.

The General Guidelines were written specifically to deal with that behavior.

Most of those leaving today—voluntarily or otherwise—contributed to that environment.

Any memory of Off Topic in the last 8 or so years as a warm, fun, silly place is rose-tinted and not reflective of reality, and anyone leaving today because “this place sucks now” is merely getting a dose of what they fed to other members for so many years.

Post
#1250861
Topic
If you need to B*tch about something... this is the place
Time

DominicCobb said:

dahmage said:

Jay said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

This past year has seen this forum turn to ass.

Off Topic has been ass for years.

The rest of the forum is fine.

Different strokes and all.

so then maybe leave off topic alone… just saying.

Hard to argue things weren’t more enjoyable here when off topic was unmoderated and we were allowed to have silly fun threads without fear of an admin locking them for seemingly no reason other than he can’t handle some joking criticism.

Unmoderated Off Topic was a caustic shithole that turned new members away.

You guys lived and breathed it for so long that you didn’t see it.

Post
#1250850
Topic
Discord
Time

dahmage said:

some guy created one and posted about it only a week or two ago, but i can’t seem to find it. probably deleted

Some guy being a new member with a single post using our logo, which made it look official. Sounds legit.

I have a server set up, but haven’t posted the invite link yet because I tend to think it’s just going to be a real-time Off Topic section.