This edit was originally created as an HD 2.0 version of the infamous Defeminized edit, but it grew to be much more than that. Several ideas of the Defeminized edit were ignored, while only a few basic elements were carried over. It boils down to:
- Kylo Ren kills Leia when he blows up the bridge of the Raddus.
- Holdo is nowhere to be seen, and Poe does the lightspeed suicide.
- Finn doesn’t almost sacrifice himself.
That’s basically it. I did not go with cutting away several women just for having less “girlz powah”, or cutting so much of Rey to the point Luke has almost no arc.
Version 0.2 is out now, exactly 2 hours long. Thanks to deleted scenes and scrapping some ideas, the Defeminized edit is nothing compared to this.
FULL LIST OF EDITS:
- Added deleted scene of Poe in the Raddus, deciding to buy time for the evacuation.
- Cut all dialogue between Poe & Leia so that Poe is not defying orders.
- Removed Paige, she was mostly irrelevant anyway. We see commander Canady ordering to destroy the last bomber, almost immediately before the bombs drop.
- Several other small cuts during the space battle.
- Cut Luke’s X-Wing.
- Replaced Luke’s daytime sequence with deleted scenes “Luke has a moment” and “not much of a sewer” back-to-back.
- Removed Poe’s slap and demotion. After the “not much of a sewer” deleted scene, we cut to Rey discovering the Jedi texts.
- Edited the Kylo & Leia scene. Kylo fires the torpedos on the Raddus with determination.
- Leia is killed in the torpedo attack. After seeing her dead body floating in space, we cut to Poe mourning her death.
- Removed Leia being carried to the medical center, but kept Finn finding Rey’s beacon.
- Edited scene of commander D’Acy to have her announce that Leia & Ackbar are dead.
- Added deleted scene “It’s kind of weird that you recorded that” right before Finn deserts to an escape pod.
- Edited Finn & Rose discussing the plan with Poe. Leia is not seen, and it cuts to Rey after Finn says “Poe, we have to do this”.
- After Rey’s meditation lesson with Luke, cut to Finn & Rose in DJ’s ship.
- After Rey & Kylo’s second Force connection, we skip to Rey’s lightsaber practice.
- Added deleted scene “the caretakers village”.
- Moved officer Connix telling the fuel status, to after Poe’s scene watching the medical frigate being destroyed. Connix appears to be telling this to D’Acy.
- When the last support ship is destroyed, Poe asks Finn where he is.
- Removed Poe’s mutiny. Because there’s no admiral purple-hair, he can arrive on the bridge without trouble.
- Poe and C-3PO are alone on the bridge when Finn & Rose are caught. Threepio leaves the bridge to one of the transports.
- Poe does the lightspeed suicide (he dies).
- Added Phasma saying “Disobedient, Disrespectful, traitor!” I wanted to use the whole deleted scene, but it was clearly unfinished and would clash with the original cut.
- Added Wilhelm Scream to a trooper getting blasted by BB8’s AT-ST.
- Cut out all Poe & Leia footage on Crait & the Falcon. When we hear Poe giving important commands, I plan to replace with my own voice, or maybe a woman’s.
- Finn doesn’t almost kill himself. He breaks off the attack like the others, and the door gets blasted.
- Removed Luke & Leia scene. Projection Luke just greets Threepio and goes to Kylo.
- Luke survives his Force projection trick. We see him looking at Ahch-To twin suns when we fade to credits.
Version 0.2 is available in 720p streaming-compatible mp4. Watch online or download in minutes. Feedback will be highly appreciated.
The audio may be jumpy between cuts. I have the Blu-Ray with its multiple audio layers, but I want to have the visual part of it fully done before I fix the audio.