Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (Released) — Page 242

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Re-watching the message I don’t think the average viewer would get the impact of what was happening or who was saying it right away just from the two lines “day of revenge, day of the Sith”. I think it would be more obvious that it’s Palpatine and more impactful for the audiance and the trilogy as a hole if the first part “the work of generations is complete” and “the great error is corrected” were included. Only thing you’d have to do is play the extra lines over Rey and Leia’s reaction, which I think works better because that way the audience’s reaction bounces off the characters’ reactions to hearing his voice.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Broom Kid, yeah sorry I didn’t respond. It’s been a frenzy this week. I personally would find the repeat of TLJ music from the climax to be more distracting. I still feel Burning Homestead is more appropriately powerful and fitting here. I do appreciate the R&D on an alternative, though.

And I can play with alternative arrangements of the Palpy message. I like having them react to the message ending, but having it extend longer may be good. I’ll try it out when I can.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

New work print has an extra DOTF after Rey jumps, it seems very out of place in-terms of timing.
Also camera movement feels very missing from Naboo shot,

Filmic Crossroads, Daniel L. Isidore

Author
Time

I personally would find the repeat of TLJ music from the climax to be more distracting.

More distracting than the repeat of ANH music that was already repeated in TFA? 😃

Thanks for indulging the train of thought, though, especially since you didn’t have to.

Author
Time

Yes, because it was from the film prior and is tied to that moment, whereas Burning Homestead is a callback to an analogous moment which itself is no longer anchored to a specific moment. Not saying it’s logical anyway.

Here, compare this to what’s in the workprint for the message moment: https://vimeo.com/449495094

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Yes, because it was from the film prior and is tied to that moment, whereas Burning Homestead is a callback to an analogous moment which itself is no longer anchored to a specific moment. Not saying it’s logical anyway.

Here, compare this to what’s in the workprint for the message moment: https://vimeo.com/449495094

I like it.

Author
Time

Cinefy said:

New work print has an extra DOTF after Rey jumps, it seems very out of place in-terms of timing.
Also camera movement feels very missing from Naboo shot,

Anyone else think so about the DOTF moment? I thought it was a good way to just gently bridge to the existing score. It could be knocked off, though, if I’m the odd one out.

And I suppose the Naboo shot could be a little more dynamic. Skenera, do you think you could add a little more camera movement? if not, I could just with keyframes.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Yes, because it was from the film prior and is tied to that moment, whereas Burning Homestead is a callback to an analogous moment which itself is no longer anchored to a specific moment. Not saying it’s logical anyway.

Here, compare this to what’s in the workprint for the message moment: https://vimeo.com/449495094

Certainly an Improvement!
If you want you could try replacing “The great error is corrected” by “the work of generations is complete”, just because that line gives the most context. If you wanted to have both, You could move Chewie and Finn’s reaction shots up alongside Rey and Leia’s reaction.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

I’m new to the process of the edits in this specific community, so I’ll ask.

Will this only be released in 1080p, or is a 4K version planned as well?

Author
Time

1080p and below. I can’t do 4K, for numerous technical reasons.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Cinefy said:

New work print has an extra DOTF after Rey jumps, it seems very out of place in-terms of timing.
Also camera movement feels very missing from Naboo shot,

Anyone else think so about the DOTF moment? I thought it was a good way to just gently bridge to the existing score. It could be knocked off, though, if I’m the odd one out.

The more DOTF, the better 😛

I like it personally, though it was a bit jarring at first. But I think that’s because I’ve watched previous versions of the scene so many times 😄

Author
Time

Just seeking some clarification after watching the newest workprint (which is exceptional). Is there still a plan for Ben to be incorporated as a force ghost with Luke and Leia at the end of the film? I think this is an absolute must in my opinion. I had already seen a few mockups on youtube with him inserted. Is anyone in particular working on this or willing to take it up? I wish I had the skills to pull off such an endeavor, but no doubt in my mind the talent on here can pull if off for sure! Keep up the great work everyone and thanks for everything Hal.

Author
Time

Finn’s line from the briefing doesn’t work when juxtaposed with his line in the landing scene. The walking on leaves foley works okay, but it’s practically subliminal in order to blend in right. It doesn’t hurt by being there, but it only makes it better to know it’s there, as it can’t jump out at you.

I played with the Palpatine message, but I think it’s very effective to have the message end in static as Poe looks down and hearing everyone react audibly, moreso than any particular contents of the speech. So, I think what is in the workprint is as good as that’s going to get.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Finn’s line from the briefing doesn’t work when juxtaposed with his line in the landing scene. The walking on leaves foley works okay, but it’s practically subliminal in order to blend in right. It doesn’t hurt by being there, but it only makes it better to know it’s there, as it can’t jump out at you.

I played with the Palpatine message, but I think it’s very effective to have the message end in static as Poe looks down and hearing everyone react audibly, moreso than any particular contents of the speech. So, I think what is in the workprint is as good as that’s going to get.

I think “The work of generations is complete” would be nice to have.
DOTF should end when Rey hits ground, doesn’t flow well after in my opinion thats how I originally intended it anyway

Filmic Crossroads, Daniel L. Isidore

Author
Time

Hi Hal! Just checking in to say I’ve received the final revisions for each of the Knights of Ren voices. I’m applying the final effects and will have the voice pack (two different people for each knight, and multiple line options for each scene) ready tomorrow!

Author
Time

Darth Sadifous said:

Just seeking some clarification after watching the newest workprint (which is exceptional). Is there still a plan for Ben to be incorporated as a force ghost with Luke and Leia at the end of the film? I think this is an absolute must in my opinion. I had already seen a few mockups on youtube with him inserted. Is anyone in particular working on this or willing to take it up? I wish I had the skills to pull off such an endeavor, but no doubt in my mind the talent on here can pull if off for sure! Keep up the great work everyone and thanks for everything Hal.

+1000 extremely vital. While we’re at it, I’d LOVE to see Anakin with those three too. The Skywalker family 😃

Author
Time

+1000 extremely vital. While we’re at it, I’d LOVE to see Anakin with those three too. The Skywalker family:)

I wish.

Filmic Crossroads, Daniel L. Isidore

Author
Time

Brewzter said:

Darth Sadifous said:

Just seeking some clarification after watching the newest workprint (which is exceptional). Is there still a plan for Ben to be incorporated as a force ghost with Luke and Leia at the end of the film? I think this is an absolute must in my opinion. I had already seen a few mockups on youtube with him inserted. Is anyone in particular working on this or willing to take it up? I wish I had the skills to pull off such an endeavor, but no doubt in my mind the talent on here can pull if off for sure! Keep up the great work everyone and thanks for everything Hal.

+1000 extremely vital. While we’re at it, I’d LOVE to see Anakin with those three too. The Skywalker family 😃

I’d like to have Anakin there too but rey has no idea who Anakin is so it wouldn’t make sense to have him there, Ben solo is a must though

Author
Time

natm said:

Brewzter said:

Darth Sadifous said:

Just seeking some clarification after watching the newest workprint (which is exceptional). Is there still a plan for Ben to be incorporated as a force ghost with Luke and Leia at the end of the film? I think this is an absolute must in my opinion. I had already seen a few mockups on youtube with him inserted. Is anyone in particular working on this or willing to take it up? I wish I had the skills to pull off such an endeavor, but no doubt in my mind the talent on here can pull if off for sure! Keep up the great work everyone and thanks for everything Hal.

+1000 extremely vital. While we’re at it, I’d LOVE to see Anakin with those three too. The Skywalker family 😃

I’d like to have Anakin there too but rey has no idea who Anakin is so it wouldn’t make sense to have him there, Ben solo is a must though

She knows who Vader is, but really it’s about Ben. The whole story of this trilogy was his redemption. He should be shown as redeemed (like Anakin in Return of the Jedi).

Author
Time

By the canon of this cut, she heard Anakin’s voice and felt a connection with him during the fight against Palpatine, so I think it’s something you could get away with if done tastefully.

Plus, he literally endorses her in a sort of psuedo-chosen one way, so as controversial as it is, his connections to her keeps the prophesy more relevant while still letting fans decide for themselves who precisely the chosen one could be (as there are still different interpretations out there, when it could be argued that the chosen one is the entire family line from him onwards, of which Rey is adopted into).

Author
Time

Ben is more important to the story at hand… but if both are achievable, that’s awesome.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It felt a little weird that Kylo asks “what could you give me?” after Emperor kinda just explained it by saying “kill me and my spirit will pass into you, as all the Sith live in me.” Like… you’ll be getting the power of all the Sith, what more do you need to know? I appreciate getting rid of the eye-rolling ROTS line he originally says, though lol. The new line placement is growing on me the longer I think it through, and I don’t know what I’d do to make it perfect for me. So whatever, it’s fine. Either way, the change is definitely better than what he originally says.

However, doesn’t this create an issue? Since Kylo has now learned the Emperor’s goal, why doesn’t he just kill the Emperor then and there? Become an unstoppable super villain off the bat. Or something. What exactly are Kylo’s “other plans” now (kill the Emperor… together? Does Kylo not believe what he said about his spirit passing into him?) Also, lol, why does the Emperor sense some things coming, and is oblivious to other things? Is it something like; he’s so evil and full of hate, he can’t even foresee them both becoming good together and turning on him? But that’s just weird and also not explained. I can’t put my finger on it, what the root issue is (Believe me, this message went through many extensive drafts that went super off-topic.) I think of an issue, then a solution… but then something else pops up in my head that makes no sense about this storyline. It’s so frustrating, this one. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were so clear to me. Then The Rise Of Skywalker comes along and mucks it up with this story that I have to spend hours trying to piece together; making whatever conclusions and assumptions I can come up with. Arrgh. Sorry for going off-topic at the end there.

Save the Sebastian Shaw Ghost! Save the dream…!

Author
Time

The way I see it, Kylo doesn’t want to be possessed. He wants power, but not at the cost of his own agency and identity.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Cinefy said:

New work print has an extra DOTF after Rey jumps, it seems very out of place in-terms of timing.
Also camera movement feels very missing from Naboo shot,

Anyone else think so about the DOTF moment? I thought it was a good way to just gently bridge to the existing score. It could be knocked off, though, if I’m the odd one out.

And I suppose the Naboo shot could be a little more dynamic. Skenera, do you think you could add a little more camera movement? if not, I could just with keyframes.

I think the addition of DOTF while done OK, doesn’t really add anything to the scene. There’s been some great placements of prequel music throughout this edit so far, but to me this scene is great with just the crashing waves and humming of lightsabers until ‘The Final Duel’ kicks in, making that cue much more impactful.

Star Wars: The Last Skywalker Awakens (a sequel trilogy mega-edit)