Sign In

the lord of the rings Clean sweap

Author
Time
did you know that lotr tie titanic and benher for the most oscars in one night.
Author
Time
I for one am happy to see a Sci-Fi Film get the Oscar (for a change)! Star Wars came Close to winning back in 78.

IMO.
§ JxF §
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/Jediii_2006/box/blu-sw.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/Jediii_2006/box/starwars_ani.gif
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/489/bluraydisc2lk9.jpg
Author
Time
LOTR 11 oscars? all the nominations? nepotism!!!!
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
Qui-Gon Jinn (R.I.P.)
Author
Time
I'm not going to comment, because I'm too bitter about the outcome @ this point.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
I think LOTR was totally deserving of all of its awards... i was a bit surprised on one or two but i still think it was the right choice.

anyone mad at the guy who took up all the talkin time so that his friend couldnt say anything?? i think it was for one of the foriegn film awards...
anyway what a a**hole!
your lucky to get nominated for an oscar let alone win one... and he took his friends chance to say something on that stage away from him that he may never get back...
i would have been pissed!
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Luke Skywalker
I think LOTR was totally deserving of all of its awards... i was a bit surprised on one or two but i still think it was the right choice.

anyone mad at the guy who took up all the talkin time so that his friend couldnt say anything?? i think it was for one of the foriegn film awards...
anyway what a a**hole!
your lucky to get nominated for an oscar let alone win one... and he took his friends chance to say something on that stage away from him that he may never get back...
i would have been pissed!


ah, but was ROTK alone deserving? that's my question


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL LII CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
they were all deserving but there can only be one winner!

so yes they were... hehe
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
personally i feel that FOTR should have gotten best movie in its year but it didnt. and i believe that at least one of the Lotr movie had to get best movie so this was the last chance for it to happen that is why it happened. i think that this is the same idea that was going through many acadamey voters too. the trilogy was too great not to be given best picture at least once.
Author
Time
I don't know, I understand that oscars do that sort of thing from time to time, but if you ask me the only question on voters minds should have been which movie of this year was the best? And, was ROTK alone the best movie? The LOR was a great Trilogy, but since when do oscars go to movie series? Remember the title is "Best Picture" not "Best Pictures" If ROTk alone was not the best movie and lets say Seabiscuit was (and I'm not saying it was, just using it as an example) wouldn't giving the award to ROTK just because "LOR was just too great not to be given best picture at least once" be unfair to Seabiscuit(again assuming that Seabiscuit was the best movie this year and I'm not saying it it)?

It is not that I don't like LOR it is just that I don't know if oscars should be awarded in this fashion.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL LII CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
Many of the awards that it won were deserved, but not Best Picture. BP for ROTK? I don't think so. It was, IMHO, the worst of the three. Not to say it was a bad movie, because it wasn't. But to say that it was better than FOTR and TTT is blasphemy. TTT is my fave as of right now.

The problem is that everyone who voted was voting based on the trilogy. However, every single nomination was for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King". None of them were for The Trilogy. Warbler says it best a couple of posts before this one.

If you want to honor the man for the work he did on the trilogy as a whole, then create a special Oscar for him like they did in 1977/78 for Lucas and Star Wars since nothing appropriate existed back then. Star Wars did not deserve Best Picture over, I believe the winner was Annie Hall. Thankfully, it did not win because it was not the best picture of the year. But it did deserve recognition for what it accomplished in terms of moviemaking. So they did the right thing and created an Oscar for it. They should have done this for LOTR as well.

I agree with you Gundark. So does my wife. We were fuming. The awards show was a joke. If I hear another reference to "the people of New Zealand", I'm going to vomit. And not a single upset in any major category. Where was this year's Adrien Brody? I was sincerely hoping for Diane Keaton or Keisha Castle Hughes to upset Charlize Theron.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
I will say that I was impressed with Charlize Theron's performance in Monster, but I would have been weeping tears of joy if Keisha Castle-Hughes had won. The amount of natural talent in that little girl is nothing short of amazing.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
I agree with you on KCH, Gundark. She was incredible and I would expect great things from her if she wasn't going to be in Ep3 next. Hopefully, her role will be brief so Lucas isn't given too much opportunity to squash her talent like he did to Portman, McGregor, and Christenson.

Tell me if you agree, but did her makeup artist and hairstylist make her look like a younger (and slightly more olive skinned) Rachel Weisz for the Oscar awards show?
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Yes, I concur.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
for my first post in this thread i am glad lotr won
Author
Time
That's the announcement date, not the release date.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
They're expecting the 2 disc to be released in May and the 4 disc in August or September. That's the rumor. We'll find out for sure next week.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Warbler
I don't know, I understand that oscars do that sort of thing from time to time, but if you ask me the only question on voters minds should have been which movie of this year was the best? And, was ROTK alone the best movie? The LOR was a great Trilogy, but since when do oscars go to movie series? Remember the title is "Best Picture" not "Best Pictures" If ROTk alone was not the best movie and lets say Seabiscuit was (and I'm not saying it was, just using it as an example) wouldn't giving the award to ROTK just because "LOR was just too great not to be given best picture at least once" be unfair to Seabiscuit(again assuming that Seabiscuit was the best movie this year and I'm not saying it it)?

It is not that I don't like LOR it is just that I don't know if oscars should be awarded in this fashion.


i know what your saying warbler, and i agree with you but, what can you do. personally i felt that the best movie was lost in traslation. i also felt that the last samuri should have been nominated but it wasn't. what can you do.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Bossk
Many of the awards that it won were deserved, but not Best Picture. BP for ROTK? I don't think so. It was, IMHO, the worst of the three. Not to say it was a bad movie, because it wasn't. But to say that it was better than FOTR and TTT is blasphemy. TTT is my fave as of right now.

The problem is that everyone who voted was voting based on the trilogy. However, every single nomination was for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King". None of them were for The Trilogy. Warbler says it best a couple of posts before this one.

If you want to honor the man for the work he did on the trilogy as a whole, then create a special Oscar for him like they did in 1977/78 for Lucas and Star Wars since nothing appropriate existed back then. Star Wars did not deserve Best Picture over, I believe the winner was Annie Hall. Thankfully, it did not win because it was not the best picture of the year. But it did deserve recognition for what it accomplished in terms of moviemaking. So they did the right thing and created an Oscar for it. They should have done this for LOTR as well.

I agree with you Gundark. So does my wife. We were fuming. The awards show was a joke. If I hear another reference to "the people of New Zealand", I'm going to vomit. And not a single upset in any major category. Where was this year's Adrien Brody? I was sincerely hoping for Diane Keaton or Keisha Castle Hughes to upset Charlize Theron.



IMHO rofk was more pleasing to non lotr people then ttt and fotr. fotr regular was the best of the three, but the TTT EE is the best of all them all sofar.
Author
Time
I am glad that ROTK won Best Picture. For the longest time the Academy has had a bias against Scif-Fi films, case in point "Star Wars" and "Empire Strikes Back". IMHO I thought both these movies were deserving of the Academy Award for Best Picture. ROTK won all 11 nominations! Only the third time in movie history that a movie has won all the awards it was nominated for! Hopefully this is a sign that the Academy is becoming more open.
"Mola Ram, sudaram!! Mola Ram, sudaram!!"
Author
Time
where was the special achievement award for "best ass close-up" for scarlett Johansson? She was a shoe in
And I dance. And I sing.
And I'm a monkey, in a long line of kings.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Shimraa
IMHO rofk was more pleasing to non lotr people then ttt and fotr. fotr regular was the best of the three, but the TTT EE is the best of all them all sofar.

I can agree with that. You're right. But, before the movies came out, I, too, was a non-lotr person. I didn't know anything about the trilogy outside of the names of the hobbits who went on the journey.

I guess, given enough time, anyone can become an LOTR person. I did. I love it now. And, as people become more familiar with the legend behind the movies and actually read the books and whatnot, their fave will likely change as well. Happened to most SW fans as they grew up and grew a deeper appreciation of the movies. ESB wasn't my fave until I was much older. ROTJ was the most crowd pleasing of the OT despite the first two being far superior movies. C'est la vie, eh?
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Shimraa
Quote

Originally posted by: Warbler
I don't know, I understand that oscars do that sort of thing from time to time, but if you ask me the only question on voters minds should have been which movie of this year was the best? And, was ROTK alone the best movie? The LOR was a great Trilogy, but since when do oscars go to movie series? Remember the title is "Best Picture" not "Best Pictures" If ROTk alone was not the best movie and lets say Seabiscuit was (and I'm not saying it was, just using it as an example) wouldn't giving the award to ROTK just because "LOR was just too great not to be given best picture at least once" be unfair to Seabiscuit(again assuming that Seabiscuit was the best movie this year and I'm not saying it it)?

It is not that I don't like LOR it is just that I don't know if oscars should be awarded in this fashion.


i know what your saying warbler, and i agree with you but, what can you do. personally i felt that the best movie was lost in traslation. i also felt that the last samuri should have been nominated but it wasn't. what can you do.



You can vent about it, in this thread


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL LII CHAMPS!!!