Sign In

[spoRv] projects - past and future — Page 3

Author
Time

Just to be clear, I have the Widescreen NTSC trilogy with both analog and digital audio. The analog track has a really good dynamic range. I think i'm gonna recapture them since I now have a really good sound card and two working laserdisc players.

I also have the French PAL trilogy (useful to capture the French soundtrack.) I know that a lot of people here are native English speakers so they don't care about foreign languages tracks but this French dub is one of the best ever made. (The dubbing actors were chosen by Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg) plus I grew up with these voices and i'm pretty sure that i'm not the only one who heard a dubbed version while watching the movie for the first time ;)

If anybody has the other NTSC laserdiscs, I talk about the open matte edition. I would be interested to see the differences color wise.

“English, motherf***er! Do you speak it!?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Great! The LD captures will be useful for color reference (although I think it's not that acurate). But the best of what this LD has to offer is really the audio mixes.

And I'm curious about this french dubbing. What's the difference between the LD and the DVD dubbing?

-------------------------------------------------------

and, if you missed:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/47954 

Reference:

http://youtu.be/KvXvIyx5IpU?t=1m24s 

Author
Time

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on the theatrical version of Alien!

Author
Time

Alien (Director's Cut - D-Theater + LD soundtracks)

Doombot and I have done preliminary work on this already.  We have the D-Theater capture, the home theater DTS audio and the cinema DTS audio already sync'd.  The brief D-Theater opening tag left intact.  I've watched it and it looks and sounds really great. 

I wanted to do a menu and artwork for it but since I have NO skills in these departments it would be great to see something special for it.  Maybe even something that incorporates the D-Theater artwork as a nod.

:)

Author
Time

I think I should leave this project to you; I could contribute to it with my bit-perfect laserdisc capture of the Theatrical Cut - AC3 from 70mm version; obviously, there is A LOT of work to fix it for the Director's Cut - this is the reason I prefer to leave this to you two... (-^,)

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com |

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

Alien (Director's Cut - D-Theater + LD soundtracks)

Doombot and I have done preliminary work on this already.  We have the D-Theater capture, the home theater DTS audio and the cinema DTS audio already sync'd.  The brief D-Theater opening tag left intact.  I've watched it and it looks and sounds really great. 

I wanted to do a menu and artwork for it but since I have NO skills in these departments it would be great to see something special for it.  Maybe even something that incorporates the D-Theater artwork as a nod.

:)

 Wow, that is beyond bizarre. I was going to capture my Alien DVHS tape and do the same thing, now that I have a new computer. I'm glad its in the hands of more capable people then me. Good luck guys! 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

PDB said:

Jetrell Fo said:

Alien (Director's Cut - D-Theater + LD soundtracks)

Doombot and I have done preliminary work on this already.  We have the D-Theater capture, the home theater DTS audio and the cinema DTS audio already sync'd.  The brief D-Theater opening tag left intact.  I've watched it and it looks and sounds really great. 

I wanted to do a menu and artwork for it but since I have NO skills in these departments it would be great to see something special for it.  Maybe even something that incorporates the D-Theater artwork as a nod.

:)

 Wow, that is beyond bizarre. I was going to capture my Alien DVHS tape and do the same thing, now that I have a new computer. I'm glad its in the hands of more capable people then me. Good luck guys! 

I am hoping you'd still consider doing a HQ capture of this ..... it would be nice to have a second one to draw from if other things are needed in the future.

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:

PDB said:

Jetrell Fo said:

Alien (Director's Cut - D-Theater + LD soundtracks)

Doombot and I have done preliminary work on this already.  We have the D-Theater capture, the home theater DTS audio and the cinema DTS audio already sync'd.  The brief D-Theater opening tag left intact.  I've watched it and it looks and sounds really great. 

I wanted to do a menu and artwork for it but since I have NO skills in these departments it would be great to see something special for it.  Maybe even something that incorporates the D-Theater artwork as a nod.

:)

 Wow, that is beyond bizarre. I was going to capture my Alien DVHS tape and do the same thing, now that I have a new computer. I'm glad its in the hands of more capable people then me. Good luck guys! 

I am hoping you'd still consider doing a HQ capture of this ..... it would be nice to have a second one to draw from if other things are needed in the future.

 I can still capture my copy. When are you looking to finish? I was planning to do this over the Holidays

Author
Time

Sorry, but... what capture? The D-Theater is digital, so it should be a 1:1 rip - like DVD or BD, not a capture like laserdisc or VHS - hence, two tapes should be (theoretically, apart eventual tape errors) identical... am I wrong?

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com |

Author
Time
 (Edited)

_,,,^..^,,,_ said:

Sorry, but... what capture? The D-Theater is digital, so it should be a 1:1 rip - like DVD or BD, not a capture like laserdisc or VHS - hence, two tapes should be (theoretically, apart eventual tape errors) identical... am I wrong?

 Well with DVDs and Blu-rays, you can put them into a drive on your computer, break the protection (AACS/BD+) and copy 1 for 1 to your hard drive. DVHS is a little harder. If there is no copy protection you can copy a tape via firewire to your hard drive from the DVHS deck, therefore getting a 1 for 1 copy. Unfortunately, D-Theater D-VHS tapes have copy protection in the form of DTCP. The only way to get the information off is to break the copy protection, which to my knowledge DTCP has not been broken, or capture the output. Older decks only have component output but newer ones have HMDI. I have captured the component plenty of times but now with a new computer I can capture the HDMI.

Author
Time

There is no crack, but the copy protection has been exploited in hardware. The data stream from Alien D-Theater is out there in the wild.

Author
Time

Infact, there is a way to send the encrypted signal via firewire to a non-compliant 5C (or just buggy, who knows?) decoder; it then send out a non encrypted signal via its own firewire cable, that could be captured with any PC.

I think Alien (and most, if not all, D-Theater tapes) was ripped (and not captured) with this method; of course I could be wrong... but if I'm right, the copy that is "in the wild" (^^,) should be better than any capture one.

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com |

Author
Time
 (Edited)

PDB said:

Jetrell Fo said:

PDB said:

Jetrell Fo said:

Alien (Director's Cut - D-Theater + LD soundtracks)

Doombot and I have done preliminary work on this already.  We have the D-Theater capture, the home theater DTS audio and the cinema DTS audio already sync'd.  The brief D-Theater opening tag left intact.  I've watched it and it looks and sounds really great. 

I wanted to do a menu and artwork for it but since I have NO skills in these departments it would be great to see something special for it.  Maybe even something that incorporates the D-Theater artwork as a nod.

:)

 Wow, that is beyond bizarre. I was going to capture my Alien DVHS tape and do the same thing, now that I have a new computer. I'm glad its in the hands of more capable people then me. Good luck guys! 

I am hoping you'd still consider doing a HQ capture of this ..... it would be nice to have a second one to draw from if other things are needed in the future.

 I can still capture my copy. When are you looking to finish? I was planning to do this over the Holidays

I'd be fine with your schedule.  I still need to figure out a menu and artwork.  Just don't skip on the quality for your capture.  I've got HD space to accommodate a raw capture.  

_,,,^..^,,,_ said:

Infact, there is a way to send the encrypted signal via firewire to a non-compliant 5C (or just buggy, who knows?) decoder; it then send out a non encrypted signal via its own firewire cable, that could be captured with any PC.

I think Alien (and most, if not all, D-Theater tapes) was ripped (and not captured) with this method; of course I could be wrong... but if I'm right, the copy that is "in the wild" (^^,) should be better than any capture one.

 The one we obtained was like 19GB.  I could not find anything larger so I'm guessing what we have is fairly close to the "floating in the wild" one.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

How much space was available on DTheater tapes? Maybe what we have really is a 1 to 1 copy. The quality to me is pretty darn good looking and i'm definitely not disappointed with it.

Author
Time

Jetrell Fo said:


 The one we obtained was like 19GB.  I could not find anything larger so I'm guessing what we have is fairly close to the "floating in the wild" one.

it must be the same...


ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : Alien.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 18,5 GiB
Duration                                 : 1o 56min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 22,8 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35,5 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 1o 56min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 21,0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 45,0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1.920 pixel
Height                                   : 1.080 pixel
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29,970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bit
Compression mode                         : With loss
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.338
Time code of first frame                 : 04:16:49;09
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
Stream size                              : 17,0 GiB (92%)

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com |

Author
Time

DoomBot said:

How much space was available on DTheater tapes? Maybe what we have really is a 1 to 1 copy. The quality to me is pretty darn good looking and i'm definitely not disappointed with it.

 Well, looks like we chose wisely with what we have.  I'm glad we went the route we did.

:) 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well happy to say I was wrong and you learn something new everyday. So you can copy DTheather with a work around. I noticed some references to using a Samsung T165, which I have, does anyone know how the exact process works (perhaps PM me)? If I can do it, I can also make a 1:1 copy. I'd like to backup all my tapes.

Does anyone have a list of the decoded tapes? Is one of them The Ring? I wanted to make a copy of that DVHS, since the tape is rumored to have the original theatrical blue color timing vs the Blu-ray's green color timing.

I believe that the D-theater tapes started at 25 GB and ran up to 50 GB and the bitrate maxed out at 28.2 but floated in the mid 20s at a constant bitrate. Alien was probably 25 GB. The back of the tapes lists a AC3, PCM and DTS soundtrack so if accurate you should have that in the TS.   

Author
Time

PDB said:

Well happy to say I was wrong and you learn something new everyday. So you can copy DTheather with a work around. I noticed some references to using a Samsung T165, which I have, does anyone know how the exact process works (perhaps PM me)? If I can do it, I can also make a 1:1 copy. I'd like to backup all my tapes.

Does anyone have a list of the decoded tapes? Is one of them The Ring? I wanted to make a copy of that DVHS, since the tape is rumored to have the original theatrical blue color timing vs the Blu-ray's green color timing.

I believe that the D-theater tapes started at 25 GB and ran up to 50 GB and the bitrate maxed out at 28.2 but floated in the mid 20s at a constant bitrate. Alien was probably 25 GB. The back of the tapes lists a AC3, PCM and DTS soundtrack so if accurate you should have that in the TS.   

 Having the PCM from it would be nice.

Author
Time

PDB said:

Well happy to say I was wrong and you learn something new everyday. So you can copy DTheather with a work around. I noticed some references to using a Samsung T165, which I have, does anyone know how the exact process works (perhaps PM me)? If I can do it, I can also make a 1:1 copy. I'd like to backup all my tapes.

Does anyone have a list of the decoded tapes? Is one of them The Ring? I wanted to make a copy of that DVHS, since the tape is rumored to have the original theatrical blue color timing vs the Blu-ray's green color timing.

I believe that the D-theater tapes started at 25 GB and ran up to 50 GB and the bitrate maxed out at 28.2 but floated in the mid 20s at a constant bitrate. Alien was probably 25 GB. The back of the tapes lists a AC3, PCM and DTS soundtrack so if accurate you should have that in the TS.   

 That would be pretty bad ass if you could do a 1:1 copies. Whats the list of movies you have for DTheater?

Author
Time

DoomBot said:

PDB said:

Well happy to say I was wrong and you learn something new everyday. So you can copy DTheather with a work around. I noticed some references to using a Samsung T165, which I have, does anyone know how the exact process works (perhaps PM me)? If I can do it, I can also make a 1:1 copy. I'd like to backup all my tapes.

Does anyone have a list of the decoded tapes? Is one of them The Ring? I wanted to make a copy of that DVHS, since the tape is rumored to have the original theatrical blue color timing vs the Blu-ray's green color timing.

I believe that the D-theater tapes started at 25 GB and ran up to 50 GB and the bitrate maxed out at 28.2 but floated in the mid 20s at a constant bitrate. Alien was probably 25 GB. The back of the tapes lists a AC3, PCM and DTS soundtrack so if accurate you should have that in the TS.   

 That would be pretty bad ass if you could do a 1:1 copies. Whats the list of movies you have for DTheater?

 X-Men and X2 would be totally freeking awesome ......  :)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I wonder how Terminator 2 and Predator compares to the blu-ray.

I read there was 150 titles released on DTheater.

Yes, x-men and X2 with DTS Cinema audio.

Author
Time

Everything I've read indicates that it's an undisclosed hardware mod, but that is one of the devices that can be modified.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

:)

Format: MPEG-TS 
File Size: 18.9 GiB 
Duration: 1h 56mn 
Overall bit rate: 23.1 Mbps
Video 
ID: 17 (0x11) 
Menu ID: 1 (0x1) 
Format: MPEG Video 
Format version: Version 2 
Format Profile: Main @ High 
Format settings, Matrix: Default 
Duration: 1h 56mn 
Bit rate mode: Variable 
Bit rate : 20.5 Mbps 
Nominal bit rate: 45.0 Mbps 
Width: 1 920 pixels 
Height: 1080 pixels 
Display Aspect Ratio: 16:9 
Frame rate: 29.970 fps 
Colorimetry: 4:2:0 
Scan type: Interlaced 
Scan order: Top Field First 
Bits / (Pixel * Frame): 0.330 
Stream Size: 16.8 GiB (89%)
Audio # 1 
ID: 20 (0x14) 
Menu ID: 1 (0x1) 
Format: AC-3 
Format / Info: Audio Coding 3 
Duration: 1h 56mn 
Bit rate mode: Constant 
Bit rate: 384 Kbps 
Channel (s): 6 channels 
Channel positions: Front: LCR, Surround: LR, LFE 
Sampling rate: 48.0 KHz 
Video delay: 66ms- 
Stream Size: 321 MiB (2%)
Audio # 2 
ID 21 (0x15) 
Menu ID: 1 (0x1) 
Format: AC-3 
Format / Info: Audio Coding 3 
Duration: 1h 56mn 
Bit rate mode: Constant 
Bit rate: 576 Kbps 
Channel (s): 6 channels 
Channel positions: Front: LCR, Surround: LR, LFE 
Sampling rate: 48.0 KHz 
Video delay: 66ms- 
Stream Size: 482 MiB (2%)
Text 
ID: 17 (0x11) 608-1 
Menu ID: 1 (0x1) 
Format: EIA-608 
Muxing mode : MPEG Video / EIA-708 
Muxing mode, more info: Muxed in Video # 1 
Duration: 1h 56mn 
Stream Size: 0.00 Byte (0%)

Author
Time

Is the theatrical version of Alien still in your radar?

Author
Time

DoomBot said:

PDB said:

Well happy to say I was wrong and you learn something new everyday. So you can copy DTheather with a work around. I noticed some references to using a Samsung T165, which I have, does anyone know how the exact process works (perhaps PM me)? If I can do it, I can also make a 1:1 copy. I'd like to backup all my tapes.

Does anyone have a list of the decoded tapes? Is one of them The Ring? I wanted to make a copy of that DVHS, since the tape is rumored to have the original theatrical blue color timing vs the Blu-ray's green color timing.

I believe that the D-theater tapes started at 25 GB and ran up to 50 GB and the bitrate maxed out at 28.2 but floated in the mid 20s at a constant bitrate. Alien was probably 25 GB. The back of the tapes lists a AC3, PCM and DTS soundtrack so if accurate you should have that in the TS.   

 That would be pretty bad ass if you could do a 1:1 copies. Whats the list of movies you have for DTheater?

Sorry for the late response. I have a newborn and she takes a lot of my time lately. I have:

Alien: DC

Die Hard

Fight Club

Man On Fire

Master And Commander

True Lies

X-Men

X2

The JVC Demo Tape

I have Terminator 2 but I can't find it at the moment.

 I bought them all back when Dtheater tapes were "popular". I still want to get The Ring from ebay