Sign In

Song Of The South - many projects, much info & discussion thread (Released) — Page 45

Author
Time

Update: I’m back working on the restoration after an extended break, I have been a bit busy with school and another project I’m working on, But by the time school is done I’ll have much more free time to work on it.

Keep you posted

-Yoshi

Author
Time

Hello! First of all, I want to thank everyone involved for the great work in preserving this big chunck of animated cinema history. Second, I’d like to point out that both Portuguese Tracks on the V2 are really in Brazillian Portuguese - I’d guess one of them comes from TV while the other comes from VHS. There is no European Portuguese dubbing for this movie, and iirc The Lion King was the first movie dubbed in European Portuguese by Disney.

Author
Time

YoshiKiller2S said:

Update: I’m back working on the restoration after an extended break, I have been a bit busy with school and another project I’m working on, But by the time school is done I’ll have much more free time to work on it.

Keep you posted

-Yoshi

WOOHOO!!! =D

Author
Time

HELP WANTED

FOR DIRT & Dust CLEAN UP

Listen we know you guys really want V3 and we want to deliver on that BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP! Anyone that has any knowledge with dirt and dust clean up PLEASE DM me and I will send you a scene you to help clean up.

YOU WILL BE CREDITED

Thank you for reading

-Yoshi

Author
Time

Until and while we wait for the latest version, is there a release that most people are happy with here? If so, could someone please pm me on how/where to get it? Thanks so much. What a wonderful project to work on a full restoration of this movie.

Author
Time

kwork said:

Until and while we wait for the latest version, is there a release that most people are happy with here? If so, could someone please pm me on how/where to get it? Thanks so much. What a wonderful project to work on a full restoration of this movie.

Well, actually Notelu released a slightly updated version of the restoration on archive.org.

It apparently featured raw uncompressed audio for the English and Japanese audio tracks ripped from the Japanese Laserdisc and corrected some errors such as the audio syncing and the labelling of the two Portuguese audio tracks and oh yeah made it Blu-ray compatible.

Author
Time

YoshiKiller2S: Thank you. An interesting place to post unless the powers that be don’t care at this point due to commercial unavailability. Thanks for the pointer.

Author
Time

kwork said:

YoshiKiller2S: Thank you. An interesting place to post unless the powers that be don’t care at this point due to commercial unavailability. Thanks for the pointer.

“the powers that be” sorry but can you explain what that means?

Author
Time

YoshiKiller2S said:

kwork said:

YoshiKiller2S: Thank you. An interesting place to post unless the powers that be don’t care at this point due to commercial unavailability. Thanks for the pointer.

“the powers that be” sorry but can you explain what that means?

Disney.

Author
Time

YoshiKiller2S said:

Update: ok so it’s been a long time and I just wanted to say that we’re still working on it and I think it will be coming out soon, I don’t know when though.

However, I do have some things to tie you guys over.

Here’s a SOTS trailer I got scanned recently https://youtu.be/7DwRhEeAwJ4

And here’s a comparison of the dirt cleanup process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM043levdfY

What a great teaser-update 😉

Author
Time

clutchins said:

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/022417-0100

Bill Hunt says Disney has a 4K scan of SOTS but have no plans for it yet.

“FYI, a couple of other bits of interesting information that Chuck passed on to us from last night’s Wexler event: About 100 of the 400 or so classic Disney animated shorts have been scanned in 4K (at Warner) and restored. Also, new 4K restoration work has been done on Disney’s Song of the South to fix certain shots previously out of alignment (because of a faulty camera used during the original photography), though no public release is currently planned. Fascinating”

(I know this story has somewhat groundbreaking info on Star Wars, but I want to keep on topic).

Cool on Disney’s own restoration, even if they don’t plan on releasing it (thus, I hope in the three years since that story came out, more classic Disney shorts restored. I love watching them on Disney+ 😃)

YoshiKiller2S said:

Update: ok so it’s been a long time and I just wanted to say that we’re still working on it and I think it will be coming out soon, I don’t know when though.

However, I do have some things to tie you guys over.

Here’s a SOTS trailer I got scanned recently https://youtu.be/7DwRhEeAwJ4

And here’s a comparison of the dirt cleanup process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM043levdfY

Nice work on the clean-up so far, especially the color.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Cleaning cartoon with RemoveDirt mostly does a good job, but kills details when movement is fast (look at the grindstone beginning at about 1.22). I would try to clean most of the scenes like you did, but exclude such fast movement scenes (or parts of it). Sorry for the critics, just my opinion, and the feeling that the very best is good enough for this kind of film.

Author
Time

Can’t wait to see the final product. Thank you for all the care and time going into this!

Author
Time

Truly remarkable work that everyone involved are doing on this project. Beyond expectations. Thank you to all who are involved.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Is there a link to an workprint or working render of this? I’d love to take a look if someone can drop me a PM. (Bit confused by “Released” in the thread title because some of the most recent posts make this sound unreleased)

(EDIT) Just trying to bump this up again if anyone has a link, very curious to take a look at this!

Author
Time

So is there a link anyone can send me? I’m just now discovering this thread.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

macesmajored said:

Is there a link to an workprint or working render of this? I’d love to take a look if someone can drop me a PM. (Bit confused by “Released” in the thread title because some of the most recent posts make this sound unreleased)

(EDIT) Just trying to bump this up again if anyone has a link, very curious to take a look at this!

The thread has ‘Released’ in the title as there have been a few releases of various ‘Song Of The South’ projects in this thread since 2006 (there are 4/5 main project releases discussed in the first 15 pages alone).

Though I’ll edit the thread title to reflect there are many projects discussed in here (many of which were released).

Yoshikiller25 and a few others are apparently still working on their project - and hopefully that will be released soon too. 👍
 

Anyone asking for links should likely state which project release they wish to acquire - to help avoid any confusion 😃
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? 
Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hello all. Happy new year. What’s the curent status on the SOTS project ? I just managed to get version 2 on archive.org and there are rumors already for a version 3.

Thanks to let me know