Sign In

ronwlim's custom bluray cases/box set — Page 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Can you give the exact dimensions of the slipcases? I got them printed and assembled and they are not the correct size. I’m sure it has to do with the print settings on the PDF. I printed them at 100% of original size but it didn’t turn out right. If I have the measurements I can see that they are correct before I cut and assemble. Thanks.

Author
Time

jstrickland987 said:

Can you give the exact dimensions of the slipcases? I got them printed and assembled and they are not the correct size. I’m sure it has to do with the print settings on the PDF. I printed them at 100% of original size but it didn’t turn out right. If I have the measurements I can see that they are correct before I cut and assemble. Thanks.

Are you using the Criterion cases? The box set was designed for the thicker Criterion collection cases.

-Ron

Author
Time

I ordered the Criterion cases but don’t have them yet. I assembled the two slipcases and something is off. I think part of it is because if I print the PDF at actual size, the cut marks end up off the page on an 11x17 sheet.

Author
Time

AHHH!. My friend prints them on a 13’ x 19" sheet!

Author
Time

Gotcha. Makes more sense now. I think I can make it work. I figured out what went wrong. If I know the measurements I can do the scoring and cutting without the guides.

Author
Time

It’s 15 1/8" wide from end of crop mark to other crop mark.
Hope that helps.

-Ron

jstrickland987 said:

Gotcha. Makes more sense now. I think I can make it work. I figured out what went wrong. If I know the measurements I can do the scoring and cutting without the guides.

Author
Time

May I ask what font you used for the top of your Despecialized Edition boxes? I really like it and would love to know what it is^^

Author
Time

Serif gothic, but I had to customize some of the letters, as it didn’t match the version they used in 1977.

Kexikus said:

May I ask what font you used for the top of your Despecialized Edition boxes? I really like it and would love to know what it is^^

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Finally finished my set. Some little things…

  • I altered the design for DVD logos since I don’t have a way of burning BDs
  • I created a contents card to give props to ronwlim and explain what everything was
  • I don’t have a way of printing directly on discs so I had to use adhesive labels which don’t print all the way to the center of the disc…oh well
  • I’ve never done a paper project like this so some of it may be a little less polished than Ron’s. But all in all I thought it came out pretty nice. I did 3 sets and gave 2 to some friends.

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to post the pictures so they show up here, so here is a link to the album…

imgur.com/a/kW5fo

Author
Time

Lovely! Nice job!
-Ron

jstrickland987 said:

Finally finished my set. Some little things…

  • I altered the design for DVD logos since I don’t have a way of burning BDs
  • I created a contents card to give props to ronwlim and explain what everything was
  • I don’t have a way of printing directly on discs so I had to use adhesive labels which don’t print all the way to the center of the disc…oh well
  • I’ve never done a paper project like this so some of it may be a little less polished than Ron’s. But all in all I thought it came out pretty nice. I did 3 sets and gave 2 to some friends.

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to post the pictures so they show up here, so here is a link to the album…

imgur.com/a/kW5fo

Author
Time

@jstrickland987, about the labels. I just realized the same thing last night! I bought the ones that didn’t cover the whole CD as well. If you want to try them again, just make sure you pick up or order the one’s with “Full Face” in the description. We live and learn.

The set looks great. Thanks ronwlim.

Author
Time

I’m absolutely in love with these designs, but sadly I haven’t got access to an inkjet printer or a Blu-ray burner or anything. If you all don’t mind my asking, I’d be much obliged to anyone who could just do the case art and discs for me with these designs. (All per Harmy’s rules of course; I’ll gladly provide proof that I legally own the movies)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronwlim, these are incredible. I have built a set of my own adding a few elements of my own like Mondo art inserts, and I made some custom labels. The mondo labels are beautiful as well, but don’t really work well on the disc because of the giant hole in the middle that obscures that amazing art. I’d post a pic of what I have done, but alas…the secret of how to post images here baffles this incompetent padawan.

http://imgur.com/a/qkHLG Here is my imgur link. I really like what the minimalist artists were doing with the Star Wars brand, and I used their work for my labels. I felt it fit with the Mondo style. The idea is to just be able to eyeball the disc art and immediately know which film in the trilogy it is.

Author
Time

Stunning work on these covers and all the extras Ronwlin! Wow!

Author
Time

Ronwlim thank you for the artwork its amazing, i hope you don’t mind that i used your box set design to mix and manipulate to make my own.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Thanks to again to ronwlim for the fantastic artwork.

Author
Time

Thanks to Ronwlim for all his work on box set he made and for letting me post up the few changes i made to make it my own. I hope you all enjoy.
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

For the Blu Ray covers i use Ronwlim’s Retro covers with the disc and inside cover art he made for his original box set, you can find everything from Ronwlim right here in this thread.
D/L Link: https://mega.nz/#F!hhoSFS7Y!bgPHX4EcXMBIvTSsAIojjQ

Author
Time

This is all really spectacular work. The only problem is I want to print them all out and I don’t think I even have enough versions of Star Wars to use them for! Thanks for all of your hard work.

Also, I was wondering if any of you knew of any custom cover art that utilizes the back covers of Ron’s Mondo set as the main covers. I actually prefer them (the others are great too, but a bit too busy for my tastes) and I think they would work brilliantly for a Criterion style set.

Author
Time

These are quite spectacular, I’ll need to print a set of the case covers for Harmy’s BD9 versions.
Thanks for sharing!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi all! just printed a test cover for one of the criterion cases but it’s much smaller than the case. might i be making a mistake with my printing method ?

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw what i did wrong. My printing options was “fitting” it to page.