Sign In

Info Wanted: 2011 vs 2019 blu rays

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m getting the Skywalker Saga set soon, and I’m interested to know whether the standard (not the 4k) blu rays have changed compared with the 2011 version. I remember that the originals had a blue tint, which I’m hoping has gone (I’ve seen online that it’s gone on the 4k discs).

Author
Time

The standard BDs in the saga set use the 2019 masters while the sold separately standard BDs use the 2011 masters.

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

The standard BDs in the saga set use the 2019 masters while the sold separately standard BDs use the 2011 masters.

I’m in the same boat looking to buy the NEW color corrected blurays (I don’t have a 4K tv) Are you certain about what you said? Seems crazy if true. That Disney released TWO different versions of Bluray’s? Do you have proof of this somewhere? Thanks.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JediKnight8484 said:

crissrudd4554 said:

The standard BDs in the saga set use the 2019 masters while the sold separately standard BDs use the 2011 masters.

I’m in the same boat looking to buy the NEW color corrected blurays (I don’t have a 4K tv) Are you certain about what you said? Seems crazy if true. That Disney released TWO different versions of Bluray’s? Do you have proof of this somewhere? Thanks.

It’s discussed in this thread.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-The-Skywalker-Saga-4k-UHD-27-DISC-Boxed-Set-3312020/id/71486/page/1

Author
Time
 (Edited)

crissrudd4554 said:

JediKnight8484 said:

crissrudd4554 said:

The standard BDs in the saga set use the 2019 masters while the sold separately standard BDs use the 2011 masters.

I’m in the same boat looking to buy the NEW color corrected blurays (I don’t have a 4K tv) Are you certain about what you said? Seems crazy if true. That Disney released TWO different versions of Bluray’s? Do you have proof of this somewhere? Thanks.

It’s discussed in this thread.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-The-Skywalker-Saga-4k-UHD-27-DISC-Boxed-Set-3312020/id/71486/page/1

According to what I read on page 7 in that thread the only way you can have the newer (color corrected) scans of the Blu rays is if you buy the 4K ultra HD Saha set. These come with the 4K’s and Blu-rays. If you buy the Blu ray only saga set then it will be the 2011 scans.

Wow , what a scam if so.

But… at the same time I’m very confused bc this post on page 7 says if you buy the 4K set the Blu rays inside will be the 2019 blu rays… but weren’t the 2019 Blu rays not yet color corrected?

Author
Time

I think Disney/LF was trying to clear inventory of the 2011 versions. No different than how the 2019 DVDs also had the 2011 versions. It was just more simplified to have the 2019 versions pressed on standard BD for the saga set.

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

I think Disney/LF was trying to clear inventory of the 2011 versions. No different than how the 2019 DVDs also had the 2011 versions. It was just more simplified to have the 2019 versions pressed on standard BD for the saga set.

Can you clarify what the 2019 Blu-ray scans were? This is all so damn confusing. According to what’s spoken about on page 7 they make it sounds like the 2019 blu rays are the ones you want if you want the new scans, but I was under the impression that no new scans/color corrections happened to the movies until the 2020 releases

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JediKnight8484 said:

crissrudd4554 said:

I think Disney/LF was trying to clear inventory of the 2011 versions. No different than how the 2019 DVDs also had the 2011 versions. It was just more simplified to have the 2019 versions pressed on standard BD for the saga set.

Can you clarify what the 2019 Blu-ray scans were? This is all so damn confusing. According to what’s spoken about on page 7 they make it sounds like the 2019 blu rays are the ones you want if you want the new scans, but I was under the impression that no new scans/color corrections happened to the movies until the 2020 releases

No the 2019 versions are the same that are on Disney+ and in the complete Saga set. It was the 2019 INDIVIDUAL BDs that reused the 2011 versions. No additional changes were made for 2020.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

crissrudd4554 said:

JediKnight8484 said:

crissrudd4554 said:

I think Disney/LF was trying to clear inventory of the 2011 versions. No different than how the 2019 DVDs also had the 2011 versions. It was just more simplified to have the 2019 versions pressed on standard BD for the saga set.

Can you clarify what the 2019 Blu-ray scans were? This is all so damn confusing. According to what’s spoken about on page 7 they make it sounds like the 2019 blu rays are the ones you want if you want the new scans, but I was under the impression that no new scans/color corrections happened to the movies until the 2020 releases

No the 2019 versions are the same that are on Disney+ and in the complete Saga set. It was the 2019 INDIVIDUAL BDs that reused the 2011 versions. No additional changes were made for 2020.

Ok, I got it… as long as you understand that based on the info in that thread, you referring to “complete saga set” that have the new scans are only the Blu ray’s INSIDE of the 4K set. The STANDALONE blu-ray set that, according to the thread, do not have the new scans. The only way to get Blu-Ray Star Wars discs in the new scans is by buying the massive 27 disc 4K set.

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

!

Why would Disney only give the new scans to the Blu-Rays inside the 4K set over the Blu-ray only saga set? So basically the only way I can have the new scan blu-rays is to drop $250 on the 4K set. Not happening…

Author
Time

I think they were trying to drop inventory on the 2011 versions. This may have been rectified later on but I don’t know for sure.

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

I think they were trying to drop inventory on the 2011 versions. This may have been rectified later on but I don’t know for sure.

Well I’m not about to drop $85 on the Blu-Ray Saga set to find out! Maybe someone else will chime in at some point

Author
Time

I’m in the same boat regarding the UK Blu-ray set (18 discs) released around April this year. I came very close to taking the plunge, but there were inconsistent reports of whether it came with the 2011 or 2019 masterings and I eventually lost interest. I don’t want to risk £60 just to discover that my set has the 2011 editions.

Author
Time

Luke45 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B082WXD4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Z7D63S6IY4KB&dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+complete+saga+blu-ray&qid=1612713396&sprefix=star+wars+comple%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

Anyone know if this 2019 18 disc Blu-ray set has the new scans with the color correction?

Yes mate, they are the new 2019 Special Edition releases - aka the ‘Maclunkey’ version.
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

The Star Wars Trilogy; three timeless adventures that changed movie-making forever!’ - no longer available.
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Luke45 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B082WXD4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Z7D63S6IY4KB&dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+complete+saga+blu-ray&qid=1612713396&sprefix=star+wars+comple%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

Anyone know if this 2019 18 disc Blu-ray set has the new scans with the color correction?

I own this set. It is 100% without a doubt the same versions that appear on Disney+, minus the 4k and DNR of course. These are NOT the same oversaturated, black crushed and blown out versions that appeared on Blu-ray in 2011. All 9 films have the current black Lucasfilm logo wich first appeared in front of The Force Awakens.

I didn’t care enough about the 4k to shell out for that mega set at Best buy, but I had some Christmas money and Amazon credit to blow and $90 didn’t seem terrible for this so I got it just so I could have the newest transfers and be rid of that 2011 mess. $10 a film isn’t too bad for Disney. Even at 1080p, these blow the 2011 discs out of the water.

These aren’t perfect by any means, but the flaws are far more tolerable to me than the wretched looking 2011 masters with cartoon like color timing.

Author
Time

Nien Nunb said:

Luke45 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B082WXD4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Z7D63S6IY4KB&dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+complete+saga+blu-ray&qid=1612713396&sprefix=star+wars+comple%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

Anyone know if this 2019 18 disc Blu-ray set has the new scans with the color correction?

I own this set. It is 100% without a doubt the same versions that appear on Disney+, minus the 4k and DNR of course. These are NOT the same oversaturated, black crushed and blown out versions that appeared on Blu-ray in 2011. All 9 films have the current black Lucasfilm logo wich first appeared in front of The Force Awakens.

I didn’t care enough about the 4k to shell out for that mega set at Best buy, but I had some Christmas money and Amazon credit to blow and $90 didn’t seem terrible for this so I got it just so I could have the newest transfers and be rid of that 2011 mess. $10 a film isn’t too bad for Disney. Even at 1080p, these blow the 2011 discs out of the water.

These aren’t perfect by any means, but the flaws are far more tolerable to me than the wretched looking 2011 masters with cartoon like color timing.

Thank you so much. So just to verify, no pink blasts??

Author
Time

Luke45 said:

Nien Nunb said:

Luke45 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B082WXD4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Z7D63S6IY4KB&dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+complete+saga+blu-ray&qid=1612713396&sprefix=star+wars+comple%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

Anyone know if this 2019 18 disc Blu-ray set has the new scans with the color correction?

I own this set. It is 100% without a doubt the same versions that appear on Disney+, minus the 4k and DNR of course. These are NOT the same oversaturated, black crushed and blown out versions that appeared on Blu-ray in 2011. All 9 films have the current black Lucasfilm logo wich first appeared in front of The Force Awakens.

I didn’t care enough about the 4k to shell out for that mega set at Best buy, but I had some Christmas money and Amazon credit to blow and $90 didn’t seem terrible for this so I got it just so I could have the newest transfers and be rid of that 2011 mess. $10 a film isn’t too bad for Disney. Even at 1080p, these blow the 2011 discs out of the water.

These aren’t perfect by any means, but the flaws are far more tolerable to me than the wretched looking 2011 masters with cartoon like color timing.

Thank you so much. So just to verify, no pink blasts??

No. Those were an artifact of the piss poor color correction that was done for the 2004 masters which carried over into 2011. When you watch these it is very obvious they are from a different scan altogether. At 1080p, These still have more image detail than the 2011 discs.