Sign In

Captain EO - 70mm 3D print opportunity

Author
Time

This is amazing! I can’t believe someone actually has some sort of physical print of Captain EO considering it would have only been available at the Disney parks. In the listing, the seller says, “this motion picture reel was left over from its production in 1986.” What if this is a raw film reel straight out of the camera! I don’t know what to think of this but I hope someone has the money and time so we could see what’s on it! Amazing find!

If you’re looking for a way to watch Captain EO in it’s original aspect ratio, the best fan restoration I’ve found is the one done by Notelu. They combined a low quality widescreen version with a slightly higher quality VHS capture from when it aired on MTV. It isn’t much compared to something like this but it is something.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3E4hVrpx04

Author
Time
 (Edited)

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one, but SERIOUSLY, HOW THE HELL did this end up in the seller’s hands? They only made like, four prints of this (one for each park), right? In any event, I can’t wait for this piece of Lucas (and Disney) history to be preserved.

I hate the Disney Channel Live Action Universe

Author
Time

Overpriced of course. And how would the seller even know if a buyer was crowdfunding anyway?

If this was nicked from Euro Disney, would the soundtrack be in English, or subbed?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fascinated by this. That the listing indicates it’s been in someone’s private collection for thirty-some-odd years is the most intriguing wrinkle. Seller also has a listing for original studio masters of Jackson’s Dangerous. Could this be stuff that was liquidated from the Neverland Ranch sale?

Author
Time

Since it’s a 3D print would there be a way to scan/convert it to 2D without quality loss?

DavidMDaut said:

Could this be stuff that was liquidated from the Neverland Ranch sale?

This seems the most plausible.

Author
Time

I saw it a few years ago at Disney world/land

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Author
Time

1/2 Million Dollars to purchase!

$3 shipping.

I splashed coke through my nose on my screen as I laughed when I saw that.

Author
Time

heathen3017 said:

1/2 Million Dollars to purchase!

$3 shipping.

I splashed coke through my nose on my screen as I laughed when I saw that.

Omg LOL I did not notice that until you pointed it out

Author
Time

It says the price is a placeholder, but half a million dollars makes a lot of sense given that it was only shown at 4 Disney Parks in the world (except for that one time it aired on MTV but that’s beside the point). After 2015 it was never shown again, and let me remind you - this was a DISNEY PARKS ATTRACTION for crying out frickin loud! Whoever can buy this print and scan it is a hero.

I hate the Disney Channel Live Action Universe

Author
Time

Lucas the Barbarian said:

It says the price is a placeholder, but half a million dollars makes a lot of sense given that it was only shown at 4 Disney Parks in the world (except for that one time it aired on MTV but that’s beside the point). After 2015 it was never shown again, and let me remind you - this was a DISNEY PARKS ATTRACTION for crying out frickin loud! Whoever can buy this print and scan it is a hero.

Not to mention a saint

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Author
Time

How can the shipping be only three bucks though?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I wonder if we could crowdfund about $500 then offer that price and see if he accepts.
Not sure if it will work since he asking half a million dollars for the bloody thing. 🤣

From ccateni 😉

Author
Time

Being a huge MJ fan and having created Super Deluxe Editions of each of his solo albums, short films is the next step I wanna dive in. That 70mm print is apparently from a French fan as this has been listed as it on a few MJ well-known forums. I’d love to take all the time needed to clean and restore this piece of history frame by frame, but a half-million dollar is clearly a high price. Considering only VHS bootlegs are available, this is probably the only way to get it in pristine quality.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I wonder if Sony or whoever owns MJ atm, would consider a official home release at some point. It being Disney property makes it pretty unlikely though…

“I love being me.”

Author
Time

ThatPixarGuy said:

I wonder if Sony or whoever owns MJ atm, would consider a official home release at some point. It being Disney property makes it pretty unlikely though…

Not if Disney buys Sony.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.