Sign In

...and WE get the bad rap!!!!! — Page 3

Author
Time

ImperialFighter said:

It never ceases to amaze me how totally ignorant and juvenile some YouTube commenters are, that take the time to rant irrationally over certain movies.  There's plenty of dumb-asses out there in internet-land, it seems. 

This is why I try to find decent 'trailer' uploads for my thread that have their 'comments disabled', if possible.  This function isn't used often enough for my liking, unfortunately, lol. 

There are a couple of Chrome and Firefox addons that completely remove youtube comments from view.

@SilverWook: dunno if it's too relevant, but nearly every fullscreen movie I've found has a disclaimer on the back saying that it's been modified from its original version to be formatted to fit 'your screen' etc.

Author
Time

I'm all too familiar with that one. Movies on tv have it as well, along with "edited for content", "edited for time", and the infamous "time compressed." Still trying to figure out what the hell "time expanded" means. Is the movie running slower? 

I just cackle maniacally over the "your screen" part. How the @#$! do they know what fits my screen! ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

I just cackle maniacally over the "your screen" part. How the @#$! do they know what fits my screen! ;)

Well, once upon a time, all screens were the same ratio ;-)

Author
Time

I think "time expanded" means exactly what you said.  Producing programs for TV broadcast is frustrating.  Everything has to be a very specific length.  After editing for content and putting in commercials, they might have needed to pad out the running time a little bit.  Usually they add in a couple deleted scenes (like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective), but apparently sometimes they have to slow it down a bit to get it the right length.

I'm kind of surprised they don't just cram in more commercials...

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Which is why the Laserdisc gods created Letterboxing. :P

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

If the GOUT ever comes out on Blu-ray, I hope each disc has this warning before the films:

Warning: This film does not reflect the CREATOR'S Original Vision and should be viewed as a WORKPRINT ONLY.

Since they're like poetry, what with the rhyming and all, I find that I only need to watch three out of the six films.

Author
Time

greenpenguino said:

This is true. I did kinda do this on the train home. My ringtone used to be Mark Hamil's line 'It's lucky you don't taste very good' (I had it because of a joke some friends and I made when talking about SEs.) Then two young kids (Not little kids, they were 12-13) came up to me recognizing Hamil's voice and asked me where it was from. When I told them it was from empire they laughed, telling me I was an idiot because that line wasn't in empire because they knew every line or something. They talked about 'Lucas' Vision' and the prequels being amazing because of Yoda's Light-sabre fights.

I then (kinda angrily, I don't like being called an idiot, certainly not by ignorant prequelite children) 'told' them that I was a film student (which I am), about the O-OT, problems with SE and the stupidity of the prequels .etc. Long story short, I made one of them cry and they ran off.

(I don't mean to sound like a horrible ass-hole on the train that picks fights with kids, but the two children were so unpleasant and their views so 'warped' that I felt an obligation to 'correct' them.)

 

 

(Sorry if I sound like a complete asshole)

Bookmarked for future use in sig. ;-)

Author
Time

Ziggy Stardust said:

greenpenguino said:

This is true. I did kinda do this on the train home. My ringtone used to be Mark Hamil's line 'It's lucky you don't taste very good' (I had it because of a joke some friends and I made when talking about SEs.) Then two young kids (Not little kids, they were 12-13) came up to me recognizing Hamil's voice and asked me where it was from. When I told them it was from empire they laughed, telling me I was an idiot because that line wasn't in empire because they knew every line or something. They talked about 'Lucas' Vision' and the prequels being amazing because of Yoda's Light-sabre fights.

I then (kinda angrily, I don't like being called an idiot, certainly not by ignorant prequelite children) 'told' them that I was a film student (which I am), about the O-OT, problems with SE and the stupidity of the prequels .etc. Long story short, I made one of them cry and they ran off.

(I don't mean to sound like a horrible ass-hole on the train that picks fights with kids, but the two children were so unpleasant and their views so 'warped' that I felt an obligation to 'correct' them.)

 

 

(Sorry if I sound like a complete asshole)

Bookmarked for future use in sig. ;-)

Damn straight!

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

Mielr said:

"You know you just look like a stupid bitch for disabling comments on your Han Shot First video. How about you grow up you little faggot and learn how to handle words like a man. You had no legit reason to ban people from commenting on your video, you were just being an annoying bitch. Grow up kid."

Mielr - just to clarify, you're female right?

"Well here's a big bag of rock salt" - Patton Oswalt

Author
Time

see you auntie said:

Mielr said:

"You know you just look like a stupid bitch for disabling comments on your Han Shot First video. How about you grow up you little faggot and learn how to handle words like a man. You had no legit reason to ban people from commenting on your video, you were just being an annoying bitch. Grow up kid."

Mielr - just to clarify, you're female right?

She may be, but I doubt she is a canine...

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

Penguiniform the gentleman in your avatar famously provoked a similar response in a young Star Wars fan so you are in good company.

Penguiniform.....????

 

You mean me????

 

 

Young Alec Guinness provoked a similar response to what...??

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

No, no, no.  He's saying that a Alec Guiness once made a young Star Wars fan cry.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

Gaffer Tape said:

No, no, no.  He's saying that a Alec Guiness once made a young Star Wars fan cry.

Young Alec Guinness said:

I make/will make children cry. But that's ok because I played/will play Obi-wan kenobi. Now what was that George said/will say about...pre-quels???

Sounds like a ridiculous idea to me

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

If you've read "Once Upon a Galaxy", he was getting all sorts of crazy fan mail, so Sir Alec can be forgiven for being a little testy about what became his most famous role.

He really should have looked at his bank account before venting frustration on a little kid though! ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

see you auntie said:



Mielr said:

"You know you just look like a stupid bitch for disabling comments on your Han Shot First video. How about you grow up you little faggot and learn how to handle words like a man. You had no legit reason to ban people from commenting on your video, you were just being an annoying bitch. Grow up kid."


Mielr - just to clarify, you're female right?


Yes, but I'm sure the poster thinks I'm male.

Author
Time

Monolithium said:

If the GOUT ever comes out on Blu-ray, I hope each disc has this warning before the films:

Warning: This film does not reflect the CREATOR'S Original Vision and should be viewed as a WORKPRINT ONLY.

Yeah, but which Original Vision? - 1974, 1977, 1981, 1984, 1995, 1997, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2014....

 

;-)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

So shines a good deed in a weary world.

Author
Time

You're all forgetting George's original original vision! ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anchorhead said:

Monolithium said:

If the GOUT ever comes out on Blu-ray, I hope each disc has this warning before the films:

Warning: This film does not reflect the CREATOR'S Original Vision and should be viewed as a WORKPRINT ONLY.

Yeah, but which Original Vision? - 1974, 1977, 1981, 1984, 1995, 1997, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2013, 2014....

 

;-)

 You know, this is a really good point with regards to "original vision" arguments. Which "original" vision are people talking about? His original vision when he first started it? It was called Flash Gordon, and it eventually was released in 1980 from another director. Or how about his vision when he first wrote a story called The Star Wars? In that case, it's an outer space remake of Hidden Fortress. Or how about his first screenplay? That would be a combination of the two previous remakes, with Han as a green alien with gills, Luke Skywalker a 60-year old General, and Princess Leia a 14 year old girl, with a human General Darth Vader and an Emperor Cos Dashit. Or do they mean some arbitrary other screenplay down the line--perhaps the second or third drafts from 1975? Or do they mean his "original vision" at the time of the start of photography--well, that was released in 1977, faithful to the screenplay and with Lucas having final cut. Actually, scratch that, he re-wrote during filming--the "original vision" version would have to change the last name of Luke to Starkiller and have Ben Kenobi survive, thus necessitating removing his ghost from the sequels and explaining where he went after Episode IV. He'd have to overdub all mentions of "Skywalker" in the prequels and sequels as well, since that wasn't his original vision. And hmm, doesn't Vader have his helmet off in a conference scene in the shooting script, guess he wasn't all scared up from lava at that time, have to re-film ROTS' ending.

Ironically, the "vision" that 1997 and 2004 (and 2011/etc.) Special Editions represent are not "original" in any sort of pre-release sense. It's actually the complete opposite of original. If you want to see the film Lucas originally envisioned, you can't, because it was never made. If you want to see the film Lucas originally made, go watch the GOUT. This nonesense about an "original vision" Special Edition is total double-speak.

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Best concise counter-argument to the "original vision" crap I've ever read.  This should be the required response to anyone who ever tries to tout that line.

The whole "original vision" thing isn't rooted it any kind of logic.  It's just creepy cult dogma!  Believe it.  Take it on faith, even if all the objective evidence clearly defies it.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

Whenever someone gives me the Lucas orginal vision BS, I always cite this example:

1980 ESB Version (Theater):  Luke does not scream when he falls in Cloud City.

1997 ESB Version (Special Edition):  Luke DOES scream when he falls in Cloud City.

2004 ESB Version (DVD):  Luke does not scream when he falls in Cloud City.

This is called TAMPERING, and not having any vision at all!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

97 Luke squawks like Palpatine (if he wanted him to make a sound, it's a decision I disagree with but I could have probably handled it but of all the soundfiles to use he chose THAT ONE).

When I heard that for the first time my brain just gave up.

The Greedo and Jabba stuff from a few weeks earlier when I saw ANH:SE I could almost put down to shock of the new (until it stopped being new enough to dismiss that as a possibility) but that was just weird.

I'm like sure..., uh, I don't know if I can handle this, y'know... I was like really embarrassed... 

Almost like Lucas was doing some sort of freaky mind control slight of hand experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

CO said:

Whenever someone gives me the Lucas orginal vision BS, I always cite this example:

1980 ESB Version (Theater):  Luke does not scream when he falls in Cloud City.

1997 ESB Version (Special Edition):  Luke DOES scream when he falls in Cloud City.

2004 ESB Version (DVD):  Luke does not scream when he falls in Cloud City.

This is called TAMPERING, and not having any vision at all!

Totally agree.  There are more examples of this, but THIS is enough to show it's just drunken rolling of the dice with every new release.

I wonder what we'll get with the Blu-rays? 2004 version with Coca Cola ads plastered as bumper stickers on Star Destroyers? lol