Sign In

...and WE get the bad rap!!!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In 2006, I posted four clips from the GOUT on YouTube: the original SW scroll, Han Shot First, the ROTJ finale, and the original ESB emperor.

Over the years, I got many positive "thanks for posting- I haven't seen this version in years!"-type comments as well as "Wow! I've never seen this before- thanks for posting!" -type comments.

But, recently, I've been getting an inordinate amount of "you're going to boycott George Lucas products because he changed 3 seconds of a movie? Get a life, loser!" -type comments, so many in fact, that I decided to disable the commenting function on the 2 clips that were receiving the most obnoxious comments- Han Shot First and the ROTJ finale.

In spite of this, I received the following comment on my profile page, someone who went out of their way to say the following:

"You know you just look like a stupid bitch for disabling comments on your Han Shot First video. How about you grow up you little faggot and learn how to handle words like a man. You had no legit reason to ban people from commenting on your video, you were just being an annoying bitch. Grow up kid."

Now, defenders of the OOT are the ones who are regularly portrayed as fanatics for simply wanting the original versions of the films on DVD (and now Blu-ray), but I think the above comment reveals the true nature of so many of the "fan-boys" and Lucasphiles. Can you imagine posting something like this in defense of the OOT? Me neither.

Author
Time

That's probably because these days most 16 year olds don't watch the OOT. They only do that once they mature.

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time

I don't think it's even a level of maturity, it's more that the average person (I might venture even the average nerd) doesn't care enough to invest in it. Lucky for me, I do.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ugh, I hate people like that. It pisses me off just how immature people can be. I wish people would actually use their brains instead of angrily insulting someone for no apparent reason. It's really annoying. And those '3 seconds' of movie can drastically change how a character acts and is seen by an audience.

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I get so damn angry when I hear things like this, I don't know what to say... it's such a damn silly subject when it really comes to it but we who saw these films when they first hit the silver-screen and know how magical it was and still is for some of us, if we just close our eyes and remember that it's just a couple of films we like... now I remember, scary kids with huge SW-issues...

What these kind of people don't seem to get, Mielr, is that you're just a fan of good cinema, not just Star Wars.

Edit: don't type when you're drunk. ;)

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

This new breed of fan (not just with Star Wars but superheroes or twilight or whatever it is) seems to be more like a cult member, and they never react well to their pretend daddy being questioned. Now that they can hide behind a computer they don't have to develop a personality and can just be a complete shitbird forever. (I bet we'd be surprised how old a lot of these guys are, so this isn't just a "what's with kids today?" thing.)

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

That's probably because these days most 16 year olds don't watch the OOT. They only do that once they mature.

I'm 18 (what's two years' difference?) and I've always been a defender of the OOT.  So I guess I'm not part of that "most".  I know what the real Star Wars is! :D

 

Hey, my generation needs some representation here. haha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm 19 and I used to be part of that asshole crowd (I'm deeply sorry to say) But I've grown out of that since the DVD release of the original films and falling asleep during Star Wars episode 3 in the cinema. (And the release of the OOT, transfered from Laserdisc!! What the Hell!)

It's something that they may in turn grow out of, coming to love the originals more than the crummy prequels and stupid special editions.

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

Youtube has become such a troll hangout, I'm hesitant to even upload anything anymore. Vimeo seems a much nicer place too.

The "fans" who are getting exactly what they wanted on Blu Ray certainly seem to feel threatened when people post something that doesn't jive with their perception of reality. What frightens them so?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

People wanting to rant so much that they personally sent you a message which only contain complaining ending with "grow up" should look in the mirror.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Mielr, I'm so sorry you have to put up with crap like that.  Thankfully my YouTube channel has mostly well-mannered people post on it, but every time I get an e-mail saying that someone has posted on one of my Dragon Ball-related videos, I hesitate to see what it says, for fear it's going to be a, "U liek the japonese version?  wut a gay little faggut u are.  english version rocks. grow up y ou little bitch!"  On their own, they're no skin off my back, but, cumulatively, they do start to wear me down.  So I can certainly understand why you'd want to disable comments eventually.  I just don't know where that person gets off.  It's your video!  You have every right to choose how and if people are allowed to react to it.  Damn sense of entitlement...

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

To be fair to the Georgians, Youtube is riddled with trolls (in fact it thrives on it), you would probably get similar comments if you posted on any subject but putting Star Wars into the mix puts out bait for the predators.

You might have got a lot of people countering the trolls if you left the comments on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

"How about you grow up you little faggot and learn how to handle words like a man."

Nothing like using a homophobic slur to show someone else how to use words like a man.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Youtube has become such a troll hangout, I'm hesitant to even upload anything anymore. Vimeo seems a much nicer place too.

Yeah, I've had to turn off comments on some of my posted videos, especially ones posted for historical interest.  It's not that I mind the idiots so much, it's that my purpose in posting the video wasn't to give those idiots a forum to insult people that I respect.  And the trolls LOVE to insult historical material -- it makes them feel big.

"Close the blast doors!"
Puggo’s website | Rescuing Star Wars

Author
Time

I like the SE's over the OOT, but i still respect it for what it was. I spent the first eight years of my life with the OOT. There's nothing wrong seeing a classic scene.

Just ignore them, let them think they're mature for call you a faggot and to grow up. Really, they're just sad inside...Probably not

Author
Time
 (Edited)


SilverWook said:
The "fans" who are getting exactly what they wanted on Blu Ray certainly seem to feel threatened when people post something that doesn't jive with their perception of reality. What frightens them so?

That's exactly what I'm wondering.

Gaffer Tape said:
Mielr, I'm so sorry you have to put up with crap like that. Thankfully my YouTube channel has mostly well-mannered people post on it, but every time I get an e-mail saying that someone has posted on one of my Dragon Ball-related videos, I hesitate to see what it says, for fear it's going to be a, "U liek the japonese version? wut a gay little faggut u are. english version rocks. grow up y ou little bitch!"
For some reason, the offensive comments have been getting a lot worse in recent months. I don't know if it's because I changed the description to make it more of a mission-statement, or if the minions are getting more organized somehow. The four videos combined have approximately 1.5 million views, but I don't seem to remember getting so many comments like these 3 or 4 years ago, even.

Puggo - Jar Jar's Yoda said: It's not that I mind the idiots so much, it's that my purpose in posting the video wasn't to give those idiots a forum to insult people that I respect.
Exactly, that's how I felt as well.

Bingowings said:
You might have got a lot of people countering the trolls if you left the comments on.
There were some - but not as many as I hoped. I got tired of defending the uploads over and over.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

To be fair to the Georgians, Youtube is riddled with trolls (in fact it thrives on it), you would probably get similar comments if you posted on any subject but putting Star Wars into the mix puts out bait for the predators.

You might have got a lot of people countering the trolls if you left the comments on.

I completely agree.

Self expression is the entertainment of the future (facebook, twitter, etc) and everyone feels the need to add their two cents. Unfortunately the internet is full of assholes who feel the need to be vile and hateful just for the sake of being vile and hateful.

If you want a Myspleen invite, just PM me and ask.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Once-upon-a-time-on-MySpleen/topic/12652/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The comments on the ESB clip used to be mostly polite and civil, but
apparently the trolls are migrating there now since I shut the commenting down on the other 2 clips:

"I lol'd. This is Lucas's film, not yours. He can do whatever the hell he pleases and neither you, me or anyone else can change that. Besides, I don't know why anyone should complain about THIS particular scene... the change in the 'new' version makes the transition from Palpatine in the new trilogy to the old one much more fluid and believable."

This falls into one of the most annoying comment categories: the "It's Lucas' film he can do whatever he wants" category.




Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's not even his film! It's Irvin Kershner's film. Why are they against us fans having the version that alot of us grew up with?

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

There should be an Abuse contact at these video hosting sites.  If enough comments from a user are flagged as not well received, they will take action on that user.  From warnings to account closure.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py?hl=en

With SW back in the general public eye with the blu-ray, this will increase for a time then fade back into the norms.

Author
Time

Mielr said:

The comments on the ESB clip used to be mostly polite and civil, but
apparently the trolls are migrating there now since I shut the commenting down on the other 2 clips:

"I lol'd. This is Lucas's film, not yours. He can do whatever the hell he pleases and neither you, me or anyone else can change that. Besides, I don't know why anyone should complain about THIS particular scene... the change in the 'new' version makes the transition from Palpatine in the new trilogy to the old one much more fluid and believable."

This falls into one of the most annoying comment categories: the "It's Lucas' film he can do whatever he wants" category.




Do these guys all read from the same script now? It's starting to sound like a mantra...

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well George does tend to shove that junk into their brains, so, maybe.....

 

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Do these guys all read from the same script now? It's starting to sound like a mantra...

 The PT gushers at TFN used to spew the same shit everyday when I used to post there a few years back.  Its all a bunch of baloney as they are just trying to make the movies seem more beloved if a section of the fanbase keep gushing about them.

The irony is I talked to many of these gushers off the record (Private Messages) and many of them admitted to me that the PT wasn't as good as they talk about on the internet.  But they were pissed the Bashers seemed to take over the SW boards, so they felt they had to defend Lucas on EVERYTHING.  That is why many of their arguments dont make any sense, because they just defend Lucas blindly.

 

 

Author
Time

Mielr: This falls into one of the most annoying comment categories: the "It's Lucas' film he can do whatever he wants" category.

This is true but only for a certain period of time.  These posters may or may not know this so you can teach them using GL's words:

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

George Lucas said: "A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history."

So you're just jumping ahead several decades in the preservation game.  Can also remind this poster that Lucasfilm has yet to remove the video so maybe they are ok ...oh who phucking cares, it's a troll.  I'd make a blog or post the comments somewhere where you can tag ads on them and make some cash.

...hey ho excuse me.  Off to buy StarWarsHate.xxx!