Sign In

Your favo[u]rite directors — Page 4

Author
Time

You didn’t even mention Star Trek!

And I don’t even like that film!

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

YodaFan67 said:

Christopher Columbus

That hack could set out to direct a film in India and end up filming it in the Caribbean Isles.

LOL!

Do they not see the birds controlled in the atmosphere of the sky? none holds them up except Allah. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe. – Quran (16:79)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Duncan jones
Kubrick
Tarantino

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Jung.

Author
Time

suspiciouscoffee said:

Andrei Tarkovsky
Denis Villeneuve

Fresh

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Jung.

Author
Time

darthrush said:

+1 for Villenuve. All his movies I have seen are excellent. I’d rank them as follows:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Sicario
  4. Arrival
  5. Enemy

I’d put Sicario below BR2049 and Arrival, but perhaps my opinion of it isn’t as high because I wasn’t able to watch it in one, uninterrupted sitting. I rewatched both Arrival and BR2049 this week, and I think I like the latter more now. I used to think Arrival was a perfect film, but I came to realize that it fundamentally misunderstands Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. They are all fantastic films, though. I have yet to see Prisoners or Enemy, but I’m sure the same applies to them, and Villeneuve’s past work (and future Dune adaptation).

.

Author
Time

I’ve only seen Arrival, but it doesn’t matter. How it’s only #4 is beyond me.

Author
Time

suspiciouscoffee said:

darthrush said:

+1 for Villenuve. All his movies I have seen are excellent. I’d rank them as follows:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Sicario
  4. Arrival
  5. Enemy

I’d put Sicario below BR2049 and Arrival, but perhaps my opinion of it isn’t as high because I wasn’t able to watch it in one, uninterrupted sitting. I rewatched both Arrival and BR2049 this week, and I think I like the latter more now. I used to think Arrival was a perfect film, but I came to realize that it fundamentally misunderstands Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. They are all fantastic films, though. I have yet to see Prisoners or Enemy, but I’m sure the same applies to them, and Villeneuve’s past work (and future Dune adaptation).

I cannot wait for his take on Dune. He is on a sci fi roll right now.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

I’ve only seen Arrival, but it doesn’t matter. How it’s only #4 is beyond me.

See the rest. Prisoners is probably one of the most gripping movies I’ve ever seen.

Yes. Prisoners is absolutely fantastic, but very hard to watch at times (especially if you have young children, as one friend of mine can attest to).

Haven’t seen Enemy or Sicario yet, though. Right now I’d say:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Arrival

Mind you, I adore Arrival - just because I think the other two are better doesn’t mean Arrival isn’t an 8/10 minimum in its own right.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

darthrush said:

suspiciouscoffee said:

darthrush said:

+1 for Villenuve. All his movies I have seen are excellent. I’d rank them as follows:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Sicario
  4. Arrival
  5. Enemy

I’d put Sicario below BR2049 and Arrival, but perhaps my opinion of it isn’t as high because I wasn’t able to watch it in one, uninterrupted sitting. I rewatched both Arrival and BR2049 this week, and I think I like the latter more now. I used to think Arrival was a perfect film, but I came to realize that it fundamentally misunderstands Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. They are all fantastic films, though. I have yet to see Prisoners or Enemy, but I’m sure the same applies to them, and Villeneuve’s past work (and future Dune adaptation).

I cannot wait for his take on Dune. He is on a sci fi roll right now.

I’ll be crushed if his Dune ends up not happening. My favorite working director making an adaptation of my favorite novel? Sign me the fuck up.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ChainsawAsh said:

darthrush said:

TV’s Frink said:

I’ve only seen Arrival, but it doesn’t matter. How it’s only #4 is beyond me.

See the rest. Prisoners is probably one of the most gripping movies I’ve ever seen.

Yes. Prisoners is absolutely fantastic, but very hard to watch at times (especially if you have young children, as one friend of mine can attest to).

Haven’t seen Enemy or Sicario yet, though. Right now I’d say:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Arrival

Mind you, I adore Arrival - just because I think the other two are better doesn’t mean Arrival isn’t an 8/10 minimum in its own right.

Some people question the plausibility of the plot at certain points of Prisoners and critique it for such reasons, but on a basic character and story level, it is just incredible. I honestly would put it in the top 5 movies of the past decade at least.

And yes, it was tough to watch at many points. I shed some tears at certain points just cause of how raw it was.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

darthrush said:

suspiciouscoffee said:

darthrush said:

+1 for Villenuve. All his movies I have seen are excellent. I’d rank them as follows:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Sicario
  4. Arrival
  5. Enemy

I’d put Sicario below BR2049 and Arrival, but perhaps my opinion of it isn’t as high because I wasn’t able to watch it in one, uninterrupted sitting. I rewatched both Arrival and BR2049 this week, and I think I like the latter more now. I used to think Arrival was a perfect film, but I came to realize that it fundamentally misunderstands Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. They are all fantastic films, though. I have yet to see Prisoners or Enemy, but I’m sure the same applies to them, and Villeneuve’s past work (and future Dune adaptation).

I cannot wait for his take on Dune. He is on a sci fi roll right now.

I’ll be crushed if his Dune ends up not happening. My favorite working director making an adaptation of my favorite novel? Sign me the fuck up.

It should happen. He’s turned down other projects so he can focus on Dune.

.

Author
Time

This is the first I was aware of a possible Dune movie, and the idea excites me. I don’t feel like any of the existing movies are all that great.

Author
Time

dahmage said:

This is the first I was aware of a possible Dune movie, and the idea excites me. I don’t feel like any of the existing movies are all that great.

I like Spence’s edit of the SciFi miniseries.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

dahmage said:

This is the first I was aware of a possible Dune movie, and the idea excites me. I don’t feel like any of the existing movies are all that great.

I like Spence’s edit of the SciFi miniseries.

Hm, I’ll have to look it up. Luckily that is a version I own.

Author
Time

darthrush said:

+1 for Villenuve. All his movies I have seen are excellent. I’d rank them as follows:

  1. Prisoners
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Sicario
  4. Arrival
  5. Enemy

You need to see the one with the talking fish. You can’t consider yourself a true Villeneuve fan until you’ve seen the one with the talking fish.

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Make Off Topic great again.

Author
Time

I’m going to say George Lucas. Unironically. I like the Theatrical Cut of American Graffiti, THX 1138 and Star Wars. Before he made changes to the films in the 1990s and 2000s. I also don’t hold the belief that just because he made the prequels he never was a good filmmaker to begin with.
My second favorite Is Steven Spielberg because of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters, Jaws and ET.
Third favorite is Francis Coppola for Godfather 2, The Conversation and Apocalypse now.
Fourth is Richard Donner for Superman 78 and Goonies and Lethal Weapon.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

George Lucas
Andrei Tarkovsky
Larisa Shepitko
Sergey Bondarchuk
Ingmar Bergman
Akira Kurosawa
Nancy Meyers
Sergio Leone
Alfonso Cuarón
David Lean
Alfred Hitchcock
Ridley Scott
Denis Villeneuve
Terrence Malick

These are the ones that come to mind. I especially really love Soviet/Russian cinema. It’s filled with so much beautiful Visual cinematography. I think the three Soviet/Russian directors I mentioned reflect that.

Author
Time

I would also add

Akira Kurosawa
Hayao Miyazaki
Robert Zemeckis
Sergio Leone
David Lean
Stanley Kubrick
Ridley Scott
Ron Howard
John McTiernan
Irvin Kershner
John Carpenter
Terence Young
Michael Curtiz