Sign In

Yoda talking in OT vs PT, way different — Page 3

Author
Time
No way, man! Chuck Norris would run away screaming as soon as he saw Itchy's jaw moving around in circles!
"The things that stick in my mind and make me laugh were, like, memos worried about whether or not the Wookie should have pants. They're looking at this thing and saying, "Couldn't he have some lederhosen?" This is great. Of all the things to worry about, the Wookie has no pants." -Mark Hamill
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny
And I don't think Mark Hamill smokes (if that is what you were implying). It's just good ol' fashion aging.


I was not saying that especially for Mark Hamill, just in a general way.

http://yaddle.free.fr/banners/PortfolioBannerV2cS.png
Take a look at my Portfolio
<span class=“Bold”>NEW!</span> My Star Wars Art Gallery is right here.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Kaal-Jhyy
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny
And I don't think Mark Hamill smokes (if that is what you were implying). It's just good ol' fashion aging.


I was not saying that especially for Mark Hamill, just in a general way.



i think i remember those old vintage making-of specials showing him smoking on set...i know harrison ford was for sure. In any case Carrie fisher definitly hands him a beer in his x-wing so maybe it was all the booze....

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Adamwankenobi
Or maybe it was something else he was smoking...


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Kediredric/verybadman3ck.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time
Originally posted by: zombie84
i think i remember those old vintage making-of specials showing him smoking on set...i know harrison ford was for sure. In any case Carrie fisher definitly hands him a beer in his x-wing so maybe it was all the booze....


Ha! Now that is funny! Hell, everyone could use a good beer now and than. And I don't doubt that at somepoint all the cast members smoked. Pretty much everyone did up until the 90's when it was obvious that smoking was killing us.

And Adam, *rolls newspaper into a tube and smacks him on the nose with it* No! No! Bad Adam!
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny

And Adam, *rolls newspaper into a tube and smacks him on the nose with it* No! No! Bad Adam!


Well, Harrison smoked regular cigarettes, Carrie was shooting up with heroin. Maybe Mark was smoking him some of that marajuana to go along with his beer.
Author
Time
Man, it was the 70's. I doubt Mark Hammill has ever been a regular marijuana-smoker, but like almost all people, I think he's tried it! I think the most likely candidate for this stuff is Frank Oz, though. Just listen to Yoda, man
"The things that stick in my mind and make me laugh were, like, memos worried about whether or not the Wookie should have pants. They're looking at this thing and saying, "Couldn't he have some lederhosen?" This is great. Of all the things to worry about, the Wookie has no pants." -Mark Hamill
Author
Time
SIDE NOTE: I don't know why you keep spelling Hamill with 2 M's, olzen. He's only got 1 M in his name. *sniffs and takes a sip of her tea and casually leaves*
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Originally posted by: olzen
Man, it was the 70's. I doubt Mark Hammill has ever been a regular marijuana-smoker, but like almost all people, I think he's tried it! I think the most likely candidate for this stuff is Frank Oz, though. Just listen to Yoda, man


True.
Author
Time
man this thread is getting stupid now
"Yub Knub" by Warrick Davis
Author
Time
This is my first post and I don't want to get my head bit off here, but don't you think that after being alone on an asshole of the universe planet for 20 years by yourself that you would talk differently than you did when you were in civilization.

I mean he held the most important job on the Coruscant (arguably) and then one day he's alone except for a couple visits from Luke for the rest of his life.

I hated most of Yoda's dialogue in the PT too (except "You must learn to let go of everything you fear to lose", that was pretty cool) but maybe he was supposed to talk more coversationally instead of the cool cryptic way he did in the OT.
If only I'd been born in the Republic.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: kev
man this thread is getting stupid now


As usual, kev comes to say "hello", and make us the gift to share with us his great philosopy. It's good to see you too kev!

http://yaddle.free.fr/banners/PortfolioBannerV2cS.png
Take a look at my Portfolio
<span class=“Bold”>NEW!</span> My Star Wars Art Gallery is right here.

Author
Time
"but don't you think that after being alone on an asshole of the universe planet for 20 years by yourself that you would talk differently than you did when you were in civilization. "

While I understand what you are saying, you are trying to take real-world logic and presuming this was Lucas' reasoning. The sad truth is that Lucas simply took an OT staple and overapplied it.

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
Originally posted by: MeBeJedi
The sad truth is that Lucas simply took an OT staple and overapplied it.
That pretty much sums up Lucas' general approach to many things when he made the prequels, imho.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny
SIDE NOTE: I don't know why you keep spelling Hamill with 2 M's, olzen. He's only got 1 M in his name. *sniffs and takes a sip of her tea and casually leaves*


Oh, damn... I did it again!
"The things that stick in my mind and make me laugh were, like, memos worried about whether or not the Wookie should have pants. They're looking at this thing and saying, "Couldn't he have some lederhosen?" This is great. Of all the things to worry about, the Wookie has no pants." -Mark Hamill
Author
Time
Originally posted by: redneck jedi
This is my first post and I don't want to get my head bit off here, but don't you think that after being alone on an asshole of the universe planet for 20 years by yourself that you would talk differently than you did when you were in civilization.


But he wasn't alone. He was communing with Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan, and spying on Luke (and probably Leia). He wasn't like Arthur Dent, totally isolated, with the scream of horror every morning then talking to the trees for practice.
"It's the stoned movie you don't have to be stoned for." -- Tom Shales on Star Wars
Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived.
Author
Time
And I don't know how Yoda could learn to talk properly while isolated on a planet. If anything he should have gotten more retarded.

Anyway, in ESB his dialogue changes to more coherent when he reveals himself to be the Jedi master Luke was looking for. Before that most of his dialogue was backwards-speak. Then when it was obvious that he wasn't the local retard, his speech became much more clear.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Invader Jenny
And I don't know how Yoda could learn to talk properly while isolated on a planet. If anything he should have gotten more retarded.

Anyway, in ESB his dialogue changes to more coherent when he reveals himself to be the Jedi master Luke was looking for. Before that most of his dialogue was backwards-speak. Then when it was obvious that he wasn't the local retard, his speech became much more clear.


Didn't you see the copy of 'The Galactic Guide to English for the Bass-Akwards Speaker' in Yoda's pocket on Dagobah? He brought a copy with him to practice after Obi-Won blew up at him off-camera once yelling "WHAT?!?!? WHAT the HELL are you going on about?!?!? Bloody HELL man I can NEVER understand a DAMNED word you say!!!"

It hurts his poor feelings....

And now, rest of story you know.
Author
Time
I agree with you, it's hard to compare the crap logic Yoda spils out in the PT vs the better, cooler logic in the OT. I think he was nuts after being "technically" alone after all that time.

I know I am trying to apply real world logic to him going ape-shit crazy after 20 years on Dagobah but like it ot not I think GL was genuinely trying to apply our world to the PT. I don't hate the PT (other than AOTC) but I hated TPM the first few times I saw it mostly because of that 2 headed sports announcer f*@cker at the pod race.

It was like GL was trying to bring our world into the SW and I hated him for it. But I realize now that maybe he is comparing our world to the PT (like with OT Yoda and PT Yoda) and I can accept the PT much more now that I look at it in that way.

If only I'd been born in the Republic.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: redneck jedi
but I hated TPM the first few times I saw it mostly because of that 2 headed sports announcer f*@cker at the pod race.



You know that was Greg Proups right? You might know him best from "Who's Line is it Anyway?" He's a funny guy, his character in the movie just sucked.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
I did not know that was him, but now that you say his name I can see him doing that scene very clearly. I do like him and certinaly don't blame him.
I turned 9 the same weekend ANH came out and the one thing I truly loved about all the OT was that it had nothing to do with Earth and then BAM the PT had that scene. Like I said though I can appreciate it more now.
If only I'd been born in the Republic.
Author
Time
You know a point was brought up which i had never even considered. Everyone remembers Yoda as having this ridculous backwards speech in ESB but if you actually watch the training scenes, its hardly present at all. Then in the PT Yoda actually has ridiculous backwards speech. Are people just remembering things wrong? Well, partially, but here is the explanation:

Yoda DOES indeed speak with ridiculous inverted grammar in ESB--when he is prentending to be a crazy local!

"Away put your weapon, I mean you no harm"
"Help you i can, yes"
"Take you to him, I will"
"ah, father, powerful jedi was he"

Then Yoda reveals that he is in fact a wise and powerful jedi master.

"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."
"Much anger in him, like his father"
"A jedi must have the most depest committment. The most serious mind. This one, a long time have i watched, all his life as looked away, to the future, to the horizon, never his mind on where he was, what he was doing."
"That place is strong with the darkside, and you must go."

His speech is pretty normal, with only the odd, MINOR inversions, such as "told you i did, reckless is he", which is about as extreme as it gets. Yoda's repuration of course is that he is this weird gibberish-speaking inverted kermit, mostly because of the introductory "crazy Yoda" scenes--in fact, even Lucas forgot this. Yodas PT grammar is the same as his "crazy Yoda" grammar!

Can you imagine if GL wrote ESB now? "Teach him, I cannot. No patience the boy has" "Stong with darkside that place is, and go you must"

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010