Sign In

Wookiegroomers 1080p Star Wars Saga — Page 4

Author
Time
These sound like really high quality 1080p versions of the Star Wars trilogy and the prequels that Wookie Groomer has kindly made available. It's nice to see the video was able to be taken from the high definition recordings of the shows from t.v. and then cleanly transferred off the DVR's they were originally recorded on.

I take it the source of these are the high definition versions that were broadcast in England? If so, has a correction been applied to the video and to the audio to get rid of the PAL speed up, so the video and audio now play at the same speed they would if they had been broadcast in NTSC format originally? Thanks for any info.

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Dunedain
I take it the source of these are the high definition versions that were broadcast in England? If so, has a correction been applied to the video and to the audio to get rid of the PAL speed up, so the video and audio now play at the same speed they would if they had been broadcast in NTSC format originally? Thanks for any info.


Actually, I think the source for most of the Wookie Groomer 1080p versions was German. The British SkyTV transfers were lacking in bitrate. Not as much as the sucky US broadcasts, but still the German ones were the best. Unfortunately (for English speakers), the German versions were dubbed and had German-language subs and title crawl. So I believe those scenes are from the Sky Broadcast.

The framerate has been dropped to 23.976, and audio is English with the correct pitch, in 5.1 channels.

The fact that it's the 2004 DVD-spec movie aside, these are amazing, amazing transfers. And the 10GB+ versions go some way to fixing even those inherent problems!

Wookie Groomer is my favourite HD super-freak.

Author
Time
Sounds like an ideal Star Wars HD version has been put together from what's available, with the superior video quality of the German broadcast being used for everything except the few short scenes where the German opening title crawl and subtitles are present, plus a correct speed/pitch English soundtrack. Nice work, Wookie Groomer! Was the English 5.1 soundtrack taken from the 2004 U.S. DVD set, or taken from SkyTV and then speed/pitch corrected? Is this English soundtrack synchronized perfectly with the video at all times?

Hmm, if someone could get access to enough 1080p video from the original unaltered trilogy that at least the worst changes from the even-more-SE 2004 DVD set (Han shooting first, Anakin returned to his normal self again, etc.) could be replaced, and then apply some color correction to fix the messed up colors from the 2004 SE, a really nice semi non-SE HD set of the original trilogy could be put together.

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Dunedain

Hmm, if someone could get access to enough 1080p video from the original unaltered trilogy....
It doesn't exist. 1080p video from the "original unaltered trilogy" hasn't and probably won't be made available to the public ever. Sorry.

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Dunedain
Sounds like an ideal Star Wars HD version has been put together from what's available, with the superior video quality of the German broadcast being used for everything except the few short scenes where the German opening title crawl and subtitles are present, plus a correct speed/pitch English soundtrack. Nice work, Wookie Groomer! Was the English 5.1 soundtrack taken from the 2004 U.S. DVD set, or taken from SkyTV and then speed/pitch corrected? Is this English soundtrack synchronized perfectly with the video at all times?


From what I have read the video has been adjusted to 23.976fps and the audio is the 5.1 AC3 track from the NTSC DVDs.
Author
Time
I didn't say that 1080p video of the unaltered trilogy had been made available to the general public yet, but if just a few seconds could be gotten a hold of in the right scenes, it would be enough to undue some of the worst nonsense in the 2004 SE DVD set.

Ah, so he used the 2004 U.S. DVD set for the soundtrack. That makes sense, sounds great and no need to worry about correcting the pitch of the sound. The only thing then is to be careful it's sync'ed up exactly to the German 1080p broadcast video.

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
Don't let NSB hear you say the '04 DVD sounds great!



Since we're wildy speculating...

If the O-neg "could be gotten a hold of"
.
.
.
then all we need is a telecine house willing to touch it. Right K ?

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
If it hadnet been synced up perfectly I doubt he would have bothered releasing it.

There must be someone out there will all 6 films who can help us newbies out, everywhere I search I come up empty apart from Bittorrent but through that it would take weeks per film.
Author
Time
I notice some of these are going up on usenet now...
Author
Time
I am reposting IV, V and VI - for months I have been asked for these and not a single person would step up and be kind enough to repost these.
Author
Time
Go figure. :/

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time
Has anyone downconverted these 1080 version and made new DVDs from them?

And before anyone asks "what's the point," a standard def downconversion from hi-def retains a LOT of extra detail and image clarity not present in a 480-line master.

I think someone posted a few screenshots demonstrating this using the 1080p files but I'm not sure if anyone has made and posted a DVD from it.
Author
Time
I might have guessed the '04 DVDs weren't from a 480-line master, but an HD one.
Are modern downconverting algorithms a lot better than four-year-old ones ?

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Darth Mallwalker

Since we're wildy speculating...

If the O-neg "could be gotten a hold of"
.
.
.
then all we need is a telecine house willing to touch it. Right K ?


Right!

But let me put it this way: If we had three things to do: (1) get the O-neg from somewhere; (2) find a telecine house to transfer it using their Datacine (or some other nice HD rig); and (3) for some reason, get the O-neg to the transfer house which just happened to be located on the International Space Station, then I'd want to be in charge of #3, because it's probably easier than either #1 or #2.

Author
Time
There might be those that have access to good sources that could be used for putting the non-SE scenes back in...

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Darth Mallwalker
I might have guessed the '04 DVDs weren't from a 480-line master, but an HD one.
Are modern downconverting algorithms a lot better than four-year-old ones ?


I would have guessed that too, but I have seen screenshots that compared a frame from the 2004 DVD with a downscaled frame from the recent HD broadcast and you could cleary see more detail and definition in the latter.
Author
Time
Where were these screenshots posted?

I can certainly believe that an HD downscale of TPM would look far better than the edge-enhancement mess that is the R1 DVD.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Moth3r
Where were these screenshots posted?

I can certainly believe that an HD downscale of TPM would look far better than the edge-enhancement mess that is the R1 DVD.


The PAL R2/R4 is certainly no better. Halos and jaggies galore!

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Moth3r
Where were these screenshots posted?

I can certainly believe that an HD downscale of TPM would look far better than the edge-enhancement mess that is the R1 DVD.


I'm pretty sure it was PaulisDead2221 that posted the screenshots but i can't find the thread where he posted them. There was quite a noticable difference in detail between the DVD's & the downscaled HD shots though.

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
Well then I'm guessing that no one has done it yet!

Sounds like a worthwhile project... can someone who has these HD files who's good with MPEG authoring consider making an "HD2DVD" set of the films?

At least with the films that show an improvement over the commercial DVDs by doing so...
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Wookie Groomer
I am reposting IV, V and VI - for months I have been asked for these and not a single person would step up and be kind enough to repost these.


Hey Wookie.....Are you done posting Jedi? I noticed that the pars and all are up but files 175-182 are missing?

Also....EpIV is missing files 79,105, & 273

Thanks for putting those up!!!!!!! You Rock!!
Author
Time
Hi, Wookie Groomer. I have just discovered your split screens, and they are fantastic!. I downloaded the original split screens just last week, and i thought they were great. Then I stumbled onto these V2 editions, and they are amazing in HD. I am wondering if you could repost A New Hope V2 WMV HD split screen, as it's no longer available on the newsgroups, and it's the only one I'm missing. It's amazing to see the differences side by side, and the color changes are unbelievable.
Author
Time
Since I don't have access to download these, if someone could please help by sending 3 dual-layer DVD-R's with Wookie Groomer's 8 gigabyte versions of the original trilogy in 1080p on them, I would cover (in advance) all shipping expenses, etc. involved. Please send me a PM if you'd like to help out. Thanks!

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mojo_LA
Has anyone downconverted these 1080 version and made new DVDs from them?

And before anyone asks "what's the point," a standard def downconversion from hi-def retains a LOT of extra detail and image clarity not present in a 480-line master.

I think someone posted a few screenshots demonstrating this using the 1080p files but I'm not sure if anyone has made and posted a DVD from it.
Since we can't locate the screenshots, I made my own:

2004 DVD (PAL):
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4914/paldvdte5.png

HD downscale:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7115/hddownscalety0.png

And for reference, here's the full 1080p sample:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5554/fullhdei4.png

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
I'm in the process of getting ESB right now. Can anyone recommend a video splitting tool? I'd like to watch these on my PS3 in all their 1080p glory, but the max I'd be able to transfer over would be a dual layer DVD. Maybe I need to invest in a 16gb flash drive...

O.T. or No T., baby!

ANH:R Cover Art

ESB:R Cover Art