Sign In

With 20th century in Disney’s grasp, what are the odds of an OUT release?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think the odds are slightly better than they were 10-20 years ago but I also think that KK will need to go if things are to succeed. If you think differently please do tell me.

Author
Time

That interview was handled horribly. The interviewer asked a shit question, and she answered like she barely knew what he was asking. If anything, the interview merely indicates that LF will not tinker with the SEs. That does not mean that they wouldn’t issue the OUT.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Any legal barrier that was in their way is now gone, or at least it will be once the deal is officially finalized.

The time will eventually come to put out I-VI (and TFA and Rogue One) on 4k UHD. Whenever that ends up happening will be our earliest chance at seeing a restored OOT. If they were going to double/triple-dip the 2011 discs by including a 1080p OOT (like they did with the ‘04 dvd by including the GOUT), they would’ve done it by now.

Of course, now that the Fox buyout is on the way to being finalized I suppose anything’s possible. Maybe they’ll finally restore the OOT in 4k and just put it out on regular 1080p blu, maybe with a remastered SE to go along with it. But when the time comes for the OT on UHD you can bet they’ll include the unaltereds in all their glory.

Being able to watch the SE in 4k hdr, now with a fourth round of changes, just isn’t going to be much of a selling point for a sizable percentage of the fans.

Author
Time

If they’re going to do it, it will be for the UHD release. If it doesn’t happen then, it won’t happen for the foreseeable future.

Author
Time

If they don’t do it for 4K, that would be the final middle finger from Lucasfilm as far as I’m concerned.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

If they don’t do it for 4K, that would be the final middle finger from Lucasfilm as far as I’m concerned.

No that happened in 2006 and 2011

Author
Time

That was just George though. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I don’t think we’ll see it until after George is gone. I get the impression that it is largely out of respect that they haven’t done anything with it. Whether you agree with it being released or not I think it’s pretty obvious that releasing it would be a pretty big F U to George from Lucasfilm considering how adamant he was about it not being made available.

Author
Time

Respect didn’t keep them from giving a big FU to his ST story treatments.

“Happy Halloween, ladies!”

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I’ll do better next time. I promise.

Please don’t go sexual. I’m trying to encourage intelligence from you not get you to hide from it. Go make a thread where you can be gross away from the discussion threads.

Author
Time

Ryan-SWI said:

I don’t think we’ll see it until after George is gone. I get the impression that it is largely out of respect that they haven’t done anything with it. Whether you agree with it being released or not I think it’s pretty obvious that releasing it would be a pretty big F U to George from Lucasfilm considering how adamant he was about it not being made available.

Agree to disagree and all that. I think George has nothing to do with it. After all, the debate over the changes he made to the OT was a very large part of what he was washing his hands of when he sold the company.

I think it mostly had to do with Fox’s ownership of ANH, which will soon become irrelevant.

Author
Time

It doesn’t make much sense to withhold them out of “respect for George” considering he did allow the GOUT to be released, effectively backtracking on his earlier vow that there would be only one version. Sure not much effort was put into the GOUT, but I seem to recall him saying the only reason for that was cost, not that he still was zealously opposed to the existence of the OUT. Then when he sold Star Wars, he basically threw up his hands and said he didn’t care anymore. If Disney was so concerned with respecting George anyway, they wouldn’t have tossed out his story ideas for the sequels. I can assure you they are much more concerned with making money, and this would make money. Kathleen Kennedy’s comments did seem to be more about addressing the fact that they would not create another SE by tinkering with the films farther past George’s last changes; that doesn’t preclude releasing the OUT.

Author
Time

Density said:

It doesn’t make much sense to withhold them out of “respect for George” considering he did allow the GOUT to be released, effectively backtracking on his earlier vow that there would be only one version. Sure not much effort was put into the GOUT, but I seem to recall him saying the only reason for that was cost, not that he still was zealously opposed to the existence of the OUT. Then when he sold Star Wars, he basically threw up his hands and said he didn’t care anymore. If Disney was so concerned with respecting George anyway, they wouldn’t have tossed out his story ideas for the sequels. I can assure you they are much more concerned with making money, and this would make money. Kathleen Kennedy’s comments did seem to be more about addressing the fact that they would not create another SE by tinkering with the films farther past George’s last changes; that doesn’t preclude releasing the OUT.

This^

Author
Time

Even though I’m bumping my own thread I think this needs saying.
As the weeks get closer and closer to the merger finishing I feel that us OUT fans and protectors should be extra cautious about rumours and also should keep our ears to the grindstone for any comments from Disney. Ideally they will announce a restoration at about the end of December 2019 or Spring 2020 to coincide with the release of the BD of IX or as a precursor of it to generate good will. However I do think that at the next SW celebration we need to get one of our own to interview Kathy to get an actual answer on this. So with that we wait for what will come and for Harmy’s eventual release of 3.0.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/a12nte/star_wars_ivii_4k_release_next_year/

I know it’s an anonymous Redditer, but a 4K release is an eventuality, and a release leading into Christmas and IX makes sense.

One can dream it will contain the theatrical when it happens, whether this year or later. There really is no excuse from a technical/financial perspective not to release the original cut when SW hits the format.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LordZerome1080 said:

Even though I’m bumping my own thread I think this needs saying.
As the weeks get closer and closer to the merger finishing I feel that us OUT fans and protectors should be extra cautious about rumours and also should keep our ears to the grindstone for any comments from Disney. Ideally they will announce a restoration at about the end of December 2019 or Spring 2020 to coincide with the release of the BD of IX or as a precursor of it to generate good will. However I do think that at the next SW celebration we need to get one of our own to interview Kathy to get an actual answer on this. So with that we wait for what will come and for Harmy’s eventual release of 3.0.

Doesn’t one have to be some sort of journalist/blogger/podcaster/whatever to get such access at celebration? And IIRC, open Q&A sessions have been screened carefully in the past, at least where George is concerned.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/a12nte/star_wars_ivii_4k_release_next_year/

I know it’s an anonymous Redditer, but a 4K release is an eventuality, and a release leading into Christmas and IX makes sense.

One can dream it will contain the theatrical when it happens, whether this year or later. There really is no excuse from a technical/financial perspective not to release the original cut when SW hits the format.

That last part is worth repeating. IIRC, the 2011 blu-ray packages didn’t make as much money in their first day/week of release as the dvd did back in 2004.

A large reason for that, I think, is because the only perk of owning the blu-ray aside from being able to watch the prequels and yet another revision of the SE in HD was the deleted scenes that were gonna end up on youtube anyway. I think there were a lot of people who remembered 2004 and said “fool me once,” although many here bought it anyway hand over fist for the extras.

None of those selling points were enough for me then, and a 4k HDR SE certainly won’t be enough of a selling point for me without the unaltered versions. I suspect I’m not alone in that regard.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/a12nte/star_wars_ivii_4k_release_next_year/

I know it’s an anonymous Redditer, but a 4K release is an eventuality, and a release leading into Christmas and IX makes sense.

One can dream it will contain the theatrical when it happens, whether this year or later. There really is no excuse from a technical/financial perspective not to release the original cut when SW hits the format.

That last part is worth repeating. IIRC, the 2011 blu-ray packages didn’t make as much money in their first day/week of release as the dvd did back in 2004.

A large reason for that, I think, is because the only perk of owning the blu-ray aside from being able to watch the prequels and yet another revision of the SE in HD was the deleted scenes that were gonna end up on youtube anyway. I think there were a lot of people who remembered 2004 and said “fool me once,” although many here bought it anyway hand over fist for the extras.

None of those selling points were enough for me then, and a 4k HDR SE certainly won’t be enough of a selling point for me without the unaltered versions. I suspect I’m not alone in that regard.

OUT included or no sale.

I still have my 2006 unaltered DVD releases and will continue to enjoy them.

I will not buy this SE sh*t a FOURTH (VHS, DVD and Blu-ray) time.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:
None of those selling points were enough for me then, and a 4k HDR SE certainly won’t be enough of a selling point for me without the unaltered versions. I suspect I’m not alone in that regard.

With how awful the current masters are, it might be worth it just to have a good looking version of the SE.

Honestly though, if it ends up containing the OUT, I’ll be a day one purchase despite not have a 4k player.