Sign In

Windows Vista

Author
Time
What do you think about this? Are you interested? What edition do you prefer?
What's the deal with this DRM?

I think I want the Home Basic edition. As few crap as possible. But then again, I think the Aero UI will be cool.
Fez: I am so excited about Star Whores.
Hyde: Fezzy, man, it's Star Wars.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Arnie.d
What do you think about this? Are you interested? What edition do you prefer?
What's the deal with this DRM?

I think I want the Home Basic edition. As few crap as possible. But then again, I think the Aero UI will be cool.


I have no desire to adopt it in the near term when XP will do for now. Let the bugs shake out. Plus, it's waaaaay too much of a resource hog. I'll wait about 2 years.

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
I'll avoid Vista for at least an year, just as the Service Pack 3 or 4, with all the bundles and hot fixes is launched, to fix bugs and security flaws. Also, I'd trust only OEM versions - I would never, ever install this thing over XP, I'm absolutely sure it would do a mess on the drivers, software and register.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Originally posted by: ricarleite
I'll avoid Vista for at least an year, just as the Service Pack 3 or 4, with all the bundles and hot fixes is launched, to fix bugs and security flaws. Also, I'd trust only OEM versions - I would never, ever install this thing over XP, I'm absolutely sure it would do a mess on the drivers, software and register.


I was not averse to upgrading 2K to XP, but due to how different Vista is I'd also do a clean install...

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Not TOUCHING this monstrosity until at least Service Pack 1 is released and then MAYBE, I will get it.

The one word I'm consistently hearing about it is....BLOATWARE.

And from what I've seen, it's absolutely true. Can't MS just put out a basic OS without all the freakin' junk added on....
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Cable-X1
Not TOUCHING this monstrosity until at least Service Pack 1 is released and then MAYBE, I will get it.

The one word I'm consistently hearing about it is....BLOATWARE.

And from what I've seen, it's absolutely true. Can't MS just put out a basic OS without all the freakin' junk added on....



It would have been nice to see a complete ground-up redesign, but MS has built OS on top of OS since day one. With their drive towards on-line software delivery and software as a service it's not likely to change. I think Vista MAY be it's last major desktop release prior to thin-client devices coming into the market more.
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
There is really no reason to upgrade to this. I'll end up with it when I buy my next computer probably, but I definately wouldn't pay for a new version of windows. It is not likely to be as big of a leap as WinME - WinXP was. Now WinMe looks so outdated without the wet soapish buttons of XP.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
Just reading the differences between the editions.....what's so wrong with Home Basic? Sounds like it's Windows without all the junk and shit they throw at you. Most of those features there, I'm not even remotely interested in....
Author
Time
not going to bother with this crap until i absolutly have to!!!
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Luke Skywalker
not going to bother with this crap until i absolutly have to!!!


Same here mate - my old P3 650mhz runs quite nicely on Windows 2000 still - and I don't see much point in getting a new pc or updating just because a new OS looks 'nicer'.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I am away from the site for a while - so please send any queries / PMs to SilverWook, Anchorhead or Tobar - thank you.
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time
I'll stick with my mac and wait for Leopard, tyvm!
Author
Time
Service pack 2 is all I'm saying.
"Who am I supposed to build ramps for? Who am I supposed to build ramps for now?!"
Author
Time
I plan on putting a new motherboard, processor, video card, and ram in my build just after SP1 hits the shelves. That will effectively upgrade me to a dual core processor, PCI-E, faster ram, and a new sleek OS. Although it may be bloatware right now, within a year or two all of the computers will effectively handle it. Unfortunately, no matter how bloated the OS may be, it is the will of Microsoft and unless you go to Mac, you're pretty well screwed in the long term.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Cable-X1
Just reading the differences between the editions.....what's so wrong with Home Basic? Sounds like it's Windows without all the junk and shit they throw at you. Most of those features there, I'm not even remotely interested in....

That's what I was thinking too. I think home basic doesn't even have a media player, so you can just install one you like.

Fez: I am so excited about Star Whores.
Hyde: Fezzy, man, it's Star Wars.
Author
Time
I will probably go for Vista Ultimate becuase it sounds like it will be sort of a Win XP Pro/XP Media Center Edition Hybrid which is exactly what I have been wanting. Plus, when I do buy it hopefully I can use the same license for about five years on a couple of builds, so I will have everything wheneve quad core chips become a basic item.
Author
Time
Not to mention IIS...
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Originally posted by: ferris209
I plan on putting a new motherboard, processor, video card, and ram in my build just after SP1 hits the shelves. That will effectively upgrade me to a dual core processor, PCI-E, faster ram, and a new sleek OS. Although it may be bloatware right now, within a year or two all of the computers will effectively handle it. Unfortunately, no matter how bloated the OS may be, it is the will of Microsoft and unless you go to Mac, you're pretty well screwed in the long term.


The Mac OS is not THAT much better than the WinTel platform. I'm not saying Windows isn't bloatware, God knows, but let's not drink the Kool-Aid here. They've each got their niche, and Mac OS has has it's share of bugs, not even getting involved in Apple hardware *cough exploding batteries cough*.

The days of Windows as we know it are numbered. The drive to thin-client devices using flash memory instead of hard disk platters will force MS more towards a Google model, with services being delivered over the net and pay-per-click.
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Originally posted by: JediSage
The Mac OS is not THAT much better than the WinTel platform. I'm not saying Windows isn't bloatware, God knows, but let's not drink the Kool-Aid here. They've each got their niche, and Mac OS has has it's share of bugs, not even getting involved in Apple hardware *cough exploding batteries cough*.


Sony manufactured those exploding batteries. You know, the same batteries that Dell--a PC manufacturer--recalled. If you have issues with OS X, that's fine, but don't take potshots at Apple because hardware they outsourced from another manufacturer took a dump. That can happen to anybody. Apple's hardware is easily the best I've seen from any computer manufacturer. Their tower cases are not only gorgeous, but amazing feats of engineering, especially in terms of cooling (which they really had to pay attention to back in the PPC days).

The sad fact is that Vista is lipstick on a pig. MS ripped 3D effects from OS X that were actually functional (Expose), modified them, and made them less functional (Window Flip 3D). What's funny is that Leopard will likely leapfrog Windows yet again in a couple months with new features that not only look good, but actually function well.
originaltrilogy.com Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time
I wouldn't even begin to compare Apples problems with Windows. Windows has been a mess from the beginning. Apples are so much smoother in every way. Macs may not always be perfect, but MS doesn't even know the meaning of the word perfect.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Jay
Originally posted by: JediSage
The Mac OS is not THAT much better than the WinTel platform. I'm not saying Windows isn't bloatware, God knows, but let's not drink the Kool-Aid here. They've each got their niche, and Mac OS has has it's share of bugs, not even getting involved in Apple hardware *cough exploding batteries cough*.


Sony manufactured those exploding batteries. You know, the same batteries that Dell--a PC manufacturer--recalled. If you have issues with OS X, that's fine, but don't take potshots at Apple because hardware they outsourced from another manufacturer took a dump. That can happen to anybody. Apple's hardware is easily the best I've seen from any computer manufacturer. Their tower cases are not only gorgeous, but amazing feats of engineering, especially in terms of cooling (which they really had to pay attention to back in the PPC days).

The sad fact is that Vista is lipstick on a pig. MS ripped 3D effects from OS X that were actually functional (Expose), modified them, and made them less functional (Window Flip 3D). What's funny is that Leopard will likely leapfrog Windows yet again in a couple months with new features that not only look good, but actually function well.


Apple has a looong history of hardware quality problems, it's not just recently (weren't they getting sued in Europe because of iPod defects?). And it's up to the final OEM to catch things like that. It's not like Apple shipped the batteries after the fact.

Again, I'm not saying MS's Op Sys isn't a resource pig or even a rip off, I'm just saying that there really isn't a MUCH better alternative out there. Mac OS is nice, but still has it's issues, and Linux is a mid-range derivative.
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Originally posted by: JediSage
Apple has a looong history of hardware quality problems, it's not just recently (weren't they getting sued in Europe because of iPod defects?). And it's up to the final OEM to catch things like that. It's not like Apple shipped the batteries after the fact.

Again, I'm not saying MS's Op Sys isn't a resource pig or even a rip off, I'm just saying that there really isn't a MUCH better alternative out there. Mac OS is nice, but still has it's issues, and Linux is a mid-range derivative.


Most companies have a long history of hardware problems if you care to look. And I'm sure if any batteries had exploded during QA, Apple would've investigated it further. The whole exploding battery thing got blown way out of proportion--even in Dell's case.

When was the last time you used OS X? What is your experience level?
originaltrilogy.com Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Jay
Originally posted by: JediSage
Apple has a looong history of hardware quality problems, it's not just recently (weren't they getting sued in Europe because of iPod defects?). And it's up to the final OEM to catch things like that. It's not like Apple shipped the batteries after the fact.

Again, I'm not saying MS's Op Sys isn't a resource pig or even a rip off, I'm just saying that there really isn't a MUCH better alternative out there. Mac OS is nice, but still has it's issues, and Linux is a mid-range derivative.


Most companies have a long history of hardware problems if you care to look. And I'm sure if any batteries had exploded during QA, Apple would've investigated it further. The whole exploding battery thing got blown way out of proportion--even in Dell's case.

When was the last time you used OS X? What is your experience level?


I do not own a Mac, however I have multiple friends/co-workers who own them, I was a member of my state's Apple user group for a little while (before I lost interest) and I have worked on them in the past at the Mac labs at the local college and schools. I will say that the way the mac hardware is laid out is quite nice (everything's within reach, don't have to move a lot of stuff around). As far as the OS goes, it's 6-1 1/2-dozen the other.

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Originally posted by: JediSage
I do not own a Mac, however I have multiple friends/co-workers who own them, I was a member of my state's Apple user group for a little while (before I lost interest) and I have worked on them in the past at the Mac labs at the local college and schools. I will say that the way the mac hardware is laid out is quite nice (everything's within reach, don't have to move a lot of stuff around). As far as the OS goes, it's 6-1 1/2-dozen the other.


So you don't use a Mac regularly. That's what I thought.
originaltrilogy.com Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Jay
Originally posted by: JediSage
I do not own a Mac, however I have multiple friends/co-workers who own them, I was a member of my state's Apple user group for a little while (before I lost interest) and I have worked on them in the past at the Mac labs at the local college and schools. I will say that the way the mac hardware is laid out is quite nice (everything's within reach, don't have to move a lot of stuff around). As far as the OS goes, it's 6-1 1/2-dozen the other.


So you don't use a Mac regularly. That's what I thought.


Semi-regular use in the past isn't enough to render an opinion? I don't own a Lincoln but I know it's a nice car because I've been in them before.

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Heh, Microsoft is such an uninspiring company. I can't wait to see them copy the Wii after Bill Gates talked down about its potential success as if he were a freaking gaming expert.

"Now all Lucas has to do is make a cgi version of himself.  It will be better than the original and fit his original vision." - skyjedi2005