Sign In

Who should Direct the Star Wars VII, VIII, and IX ? — Page 2

Author
Time

Matthew Vaughn directed 8 movies, a good movies, but he has his 'touch' like the ones cited above...you're right about Stardust, it's his the best one.

Grooaoohumpf
(scuze my english)
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Brad Bird would be good.

John Favreau too.

Rian Johnson could be interesting.

Joss Whedon is an obvious choice but would be good I think.  Firefly was closer to the OT than the prequels were and the Avengers proves he can do big blockbusters.

War does not make one great.

Author
Time

Spielberg would be too easy for George to control.

Indy4?

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

 

Author
Time

Don't know about episode IX, but my sources with Disney tell me that Michael Bay is set to direct episode 7. We are in for an epic tale of love, CGI and explosions.

Also, Rolland Emmerich is in talks for episode 8. Kinda fitting since there is supposed to be an alien landing in the movie, which is pretty much his area. Also, Boomer the dog will make an appearance as Dewback #7.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

cbaka said:

Matthew Vaughn directed 8 movies, a good movies, but he has his 'touch' like the ones cited above...you're right about Stardust, it's his the best one.

What 8 movies has he directed?  Stardust isn't his "Best" movie, for that I would go to Layer Cake.  Stardust shows he can direct epic adventure fantasy.

Author
Time

Wexter said:

Don't know about episode IX, but my sources with Disney tell me that Michael Bay is set to direct episode 7. We are in for an epic tale of love, CGI and explosions.

Also, Rolland Emmerich is in talks for episode 8. Kinda fitting since there is supposed to be an alien landing in the movie, which is pretty much his area. Also, Boomer the dog will make an appearance as Dewback #7.

I can't think of someone nowadays besides Lucas I would NOT want to take the helm of SW more than Michael Bay D:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Besides he is doing Bayformers 4 with Spielberg and rumoured Marky Mark Wahlberg.

That and the long delayed Ninja Turtles from space concept.

A Bayformers supposedly without Shia Lebouf what could go wrong,lol.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

wabid said:

cbaka said:

Matthew Vaughn directed 8 movies, a good movies, but he has his 'touch' like the ones cited above...you're right about Stardust, it's his the best one.

What 8 movies has he directed?  Stardust isn't his "Best" movie, for that I would go to Layer Cake.  Stardust shows he can direct epic adventure fantasy.

sorry, involved in a creative way, as producer, director, Layer Cake is a good one, but i prefer Stardust.

Grooaoohumpf
(scuze my english)
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Brad Bird. That is all.

Wexter said:

Don't know about episode IX, but my sources with Disney tell me that Michael Bay is set to direct episode 7. We are in for an epic tale of love, CGI and explosions.

Also, Rolland Emmerich is in talks for episode 8. Kinda fitting since there is supposed to be an alien landing in the movie, which is pretty much his area. Also, Boomer the dog will make an appearance as Dewback #7.

Please not Michael Bay. Dear God, please no. Or Roland Emmerich.

skyjedi2005 said:

Besides he is doing Bayformers 4 with Spielberg and rumoured Marky Mark Wahlberg.

That and the long delayed Ninja Turtles from space concept.

A Bayformers supposedly without Shia Lebouf what could go wrong,lol.

Gomu69 said:

Wexter said:

Don't know about episode IX, but my sources with Disney tell me that Michael Bay is set to direct episode 7. We are in for an epic tale of love, CGI and explosions.

Also, Rolland Emmerich is in talks for episode 8. Kinda fitting since there is supposed to be an alien landing in the movie, which is pretty much his area. Also, Boomer the dog will make an appearance as Dewback #7.

I can't think of someone nowadays besides Lucas I would NOT want to take the helm of SW more than Michael Bay D:

Yes, he's a friend of Lucas, so that's possible, but it would only bode the worst, IMO. Hopefully, he'll be too busy with the new Transformers project, and hopefully that'll get the rest of Animated onto DVD in widescreen, at least. Maybe then something good could come from it. I'm sincerely hoping you're kidding though. Very, very sincerely.

cbaka said:

wabid said:

cbaka said:

Matthew Vaughn directed 8 movies, a good movies, but he has his 'touch' like the ones cited above...you're right about Stardust, it's his the best one.

What 8 movies has he directed?  Stardust isn't his "Best" movie, for that I would go to Layer Cake.  Stardust shows he can direct epic adventure fantasy.

sorry, involved in a creative way, as producer, director, Layer Cake is a good one, but i prefer Stardust.

Everyone seems to like Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class, for reasons I admit I do not grasp. I'm not a fan of Vaughn, though he did say on The Treatment that he was an avid SW fan, so they may consider him.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

I agree that Brad Bird is the only true heir of old-school Lucas and Spielberg style filmmaking. 

 

I would support Spielberg himself, but still think that Brad has just as much talent but also brings that passion and youthful energy to the table.

 

 

I wish that I could just wish my feelings away...but I can't.  Wishful wishing can only lead to wishes wished for in futile wishfulness, which is not what I wish to wish for. 

Author
Time

Bring on Gary Kurtz as producer. Do it.

“Grow up. These are my Disney's movies, not yours.”

Author
Time

1990osu said:

I agree that Brad Bird is the only true heir of old-school Lucas and Spielberg style filmmaking. 

I would say J.J. Abrams is definitely vying for that position as well.

Author
Time

I'm going throw Pete Travis in. Little known, he did great work on Dredd. Indeed, in many ways, Dredd had a SWy dimension to it - a straight plot, a documentary style to the setting, no shaky camera stuff, no lens glares, very compelling action. I can't think of a better director to carry on the SW legacy.

Author
Time

I liked Kick-Ass because it was very respectful of the comic book (1 point for Mr Vaughn) but i agree with you about X-Men F.C, even if the storyline was interesting, the cast (apart the leading roles) of the other X-men was awful, they seems not to know what to do at all...

Grooaoohumpf
(scuze my english)
Author
Time
 (Edited)

After the travesty that was The Adventures of Tintin, I don't want Spielberg anywhere near a Star Wars film. The guy just doesn't have the magic anymore.

Virgin since 1987, horny since 1999. Thank God I’m not an incel.

Author
Time

Frank Oz, who co-directed The Dark Crystal and did The Little Shop of Horrors solo.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rupert Wyatt, the director of the excellent Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

 

 

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

After the travesty that was The Adventures of Tintin, I don't want Spielberg anywhere near a Star Wars film. The guy just doesn't have the magic anymore.

I would like to point out that it was not just Spielberg working on that one, there was Peter Jackson to figure in as well

John Williams score to Return of the Jedi Remastered/Remixed:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/JOHN-WILLIAMS-Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-Remastered-Edition/topic/14606/page/1/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Matthew Vaughn is no longer in the race, Colin Trevorrow is the unknown director in the last news who is suspected to be probably in the presumed Master Lucas best choice for the next SW....DUH !

Grooaoohumpf
(scuze my english)
Author
Time

I know he's in his 90s, but Richard Donner would be great!

Author
Time

Ang Lee would have to be near the top of my list, probably above any of the names mentioned here. 

“In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.” - George Lucas

Author
Time

I'm sure Disney would want to go with a younger, fresher-faced director for the new movies.  My guess would be JJ Abrams.  His enthusiasm for SW and success with the Star Trek reboot (which had a lot of SW-like energy) would make him a good choice.  

 Spoiler free for the ST

Author
Time

If Abrams could take it easy on the lens flares I think he'd be a great choice. I would probably also enjoy a movie from Matthew Vaughn; X-Men First Class? Fantastic.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em