Sign In

What was the exact process of creating the special editions?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

After all these years of reading and researching the 1997 restoration of star wars. My mind has come up with a little scenario for how the SE’s came to be… please tell me if what I think is remotely true.

O-negative was cleaned and scanned at 1080p or 2K?
was Color corrected/cleaned up ETC.
SE changes where added.
exported onto some type of Print for future restorations.
Every release since 97’ was based on that export print.

I’m not sure if that is right or wrong. please help me gain my sanity.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That’s not quite right. In the mid nineties the film was physically and the color photochemically restored. Only those sections/elements that required CGI updates were scanned at 2K, reworked, and then film outs were created that were inserted in the restored negative, replacing the original shots:

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

The 2004 release was based of a 2K scan of the negative, while the 2019 release is based on a 4K scan done in 2012.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

The 2004 release was based of a 2K scan of the negative, while the 2019 release is based on a 4K scan done in 2012.

I always thought that the 2004/2011 “HD Branch” was a 1080p scan, as horrifying as that may sound.

Author
Time

BedeHistory731 said:

DrDre said:

The 2004 release was based of a 2K scan of the negative, while the 2019 release is based on a 4K scan done in 2012.

I always thought that the 2004/2011 “HD Branch” was a 1080p scan, as horrifying as that may sound.

The final master was 1080p, but the scan itself was 2K according to someone who worked on it.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

BedeHistory731 said:

DrDre said:

The 2004 release was based of a 2K scan of the negative, while the 2019 release is based on a 4K scan done in 2012.

I always thought that the 2004/2011 “HD Branch” was a 1080p scan, as horrifying as that may sound.

The final master was 1080p, but the scan itself was 2K according to someone who worked on it.

Ah, that makes sense.