Sign In

What is the most distressing aspect of the PT?

Author
Time
Just want to get an opinion on what is considered the worst aspect of the PT (what scene contradicts with the OT, unecessary relations, etc.) The worst aspect for me is well... The pivotal moments of ROTS, and the suggestion that Palpatine is Anakin's father.
Author
Time
For me it was the visualization of Anakin's dream, completely contradictory to the entire saga presentation and just unnecessary, one line of dialog could have replaced that jarring moment.
Author
Time
that it sucked that is the most distressing aspect.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
I'd say how the filmed the two latter films. One thing that always amazed me about Star Wars was that they were able to create imaginative environments in real live places - which is something CGI ruins, as now they can just bluescreen the whole thing. Episode 1 was filmed in actual environments, while 2 & 3 felt like video games.
That is why episode 1 is the best of the prequels. (you can kill me later.)

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
Originally posted by: skyjedi2005
that it sucked that is the most distressing aspect.
Beat me to it!

Also, the way the PT spoils so many of the plot twists in the OT.

Originally posted by: bkev
That is why episode 1 is the best of the prequels. (you can kill me later.)

No, I think you're right about that. I've gone back and forth over which one of the prequels was the least horrible. I used to think it was ROTS, but now that I've had time to think about it, TPM may be the least sucky (still sucky, though)...and it has Liam Neeson, which is in its favor.

Author
Time
I 100% agree about the overuse of CG, and not using real landscapes. I defy anyone to watch the saga, even the OT/SE 1-6 and not see a jarring effect from PT to OT. The bottom line is one looks computer generated and one looks real!

I often think what would the PT have looked in 1986 had Lucas continued on before the advent of CGI once Jurassic Park broke the mold. I think the saga would flow visually and I still contend there are great, real environments out there in Europe, Australia and Asia that could have been shown for planets on the PT. But Lucas is paying for these film and I believe it is cheaper to film in bluescreen, then pay money to shoot on location.
Author
Time
Yeat the PT costed about 150 million dollars to produce for each film; the OT combined costed about 60 million dollars to produce
Author
Time
Originally posted by: bkev
I'd say how the filmed the two latter films. One thing that always amazed me about Star Wars was that they were able to create imaginative environments in real live places - which is something CGI ruins, as now they can just bluescreen the whole thing. Episode 1 was filmed in actual environments, while 2 & 3 felt like video games.
That is why episode 1 is the best of the prequels. (you can kill me later.)


Agreed on that.

I also disliked the lack of any chemistry between any of the lead characters as we had in the OT. None of the relationships seemed believable to me.
Author
Time
THE MOST distressing aspect of the PT isn't even anything featured in the PT itself. It's the fact that people watched them, and THEN there are those who say because of them that the OT needs to be completely remade. Anyone who engages language of that sort needs to be marched straight to the guillotine.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: skye_solo
THE MOST distressing aspect of the PT isn't even anything featured in the PT itself. It's the fact that people watched them, and THEN there are those who say because of them that the OT needs to be completely remade. Anyone who engages language of that sort needs to be marched straight to the guillotine.

I think those words are a little harsch... but I can not say that I have not thought the same thing myself. LOL.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: generalfrevious
Just want to get an opinion on what is considered the worst aspect of the PT (what scene contradicts with the OT, unecessary relations, etc.) The worst aspect for me is well... The pivotal moments of ROTS, and the suggestion that Palpatine is Anakin's father.


Well, there was a very bad and very unbelievable story foundation, characters lacked depth, sincerity, personality, chemistry, Jar Jar Binks, and the simple fact that in Episode 1 all the stuff that Obi-Wan should be doing is being done by Liam Neeson, and while I like Liam Neeson, it was not right to screw Obi-Wan over, thus contradicting Obi-Wan's "When I first knew him... was amazed how strongly the Force was with him... I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi..." speech in ROTJ.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
basically that they made Anakin an Idiot and Padme a selfish emotional wuss. How the hell could people like that spawn Luke and Leia?

Author
Time
Yeah, those words ARE too harsh. And not based in something I would want to go down in reality. But seriously, people who hold views about changing Star Wars need to go watch Fantastic Four or something more in line with their low intelligence that they can just laugh along with the lame jokes studioland has marketed to them. It's like, what flavor kool-aid is Hollywood passing out this week? Lame-berry!
Author
Time
For me it was:
- The way how Anakin turned to the dark side.
- The continuity errors with the OT.
- In ROTJ Vader says: "You don't know the power of the dark side". It sounded so cool and powerfull. I was hoping in the PT I would see the ultimate dark side of the force, but I didn't.
- That I didn't see Anakin "hunt down and destroy the jedi knights". (Oh wait, we did, he killed unarmed padawans).
- I was also hoping to see the battle in which the rebels steel the blueprints for the death star as told in the crawl of Star Wars (ep IV).
Fez: I am so excited about Star Whores.
Hyde: Fezzy, man, it's Star Wars.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Han Solo VS Indiana Jones
Well, there was a very bad and very unbelievable story foundation, characters lacked depth, sincerity, personality, chemistry, Jar Jar Binks, and the simple fact that in Episode 1 all the stuff that Obi-Wan should be doing is being done by Liam Neeson, and while I like Liam Neeson, it was not right to screw Obi-Wan over, thus contradicting Obi-Wan's "When I first knew him... was amazed how strongly the Force was with him... I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi..." speech in ROTJ.


I agree 100% with that!


http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time
For me, the prequels really fell apart with the Mace/Palpatine/Anakin confrontation...

PALP: He's a traitor!
MACE: No, HE'S the traitor!
PALP: No, HE'S the traitor!
MACE: I know you are, but what am I?
PALP: A traitor!
MACE: I know you are, but what am I?
PALP: A traitor!
MACE: I know you are, but what am I?
PALP: Takes one to know one!
MACE: Oh yeah...? Well your own lightning's made you ugly as sin!
PALP: Your mother's ugly!
MACE: Hey, take that back, or my dad'll kick your dad's ass!
ANAKIN: Give it a rest, I miss Padme! (Cuts off MACE'S arm)
PALP: (Fries MACE, throws him out the window) Power! Unlimited, neverending, superlative POWER! (Sighs sexually)
ANAKIN: What have I done...? WHAT HAVE I DONE!?
PALP: (Ominously) Turned to the dark side, you have.
ANAKIN: Oh, jolly good. Can I go kill some younglings now?
PALP: Not until you finish your dinner, Ani.
ANAKIN: Oh, but I wanna kill younglings! What's for dinner, anyway?
PALP: We shall have... peas.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there, but you get the point. That entire scene sucks.
Author
Time
For me I can pretty much sum it up in one word:

MIDICHLORIANS!
"You don't know the power of the dark side!"
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Zing!
For me I can pretty much sum it up in one word:

MIDICHLORIANS!


Oh yeah, the midichlorians. I forgot all about them. Yeah, they suck too.

And thank you Hot_Rod. Nice to know I'm not the only one who saw that Episode 1 failed to properly build any kind of friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
Anakin's turn to the darkside.

Not sure it was really worth making the prequels about his turn, but that seemed to be the whole point, and it was totally muffed. It achieved staggering levels of mediocrity. Less convincing than most b-grade TV shows. The reason was stupid, the scripting was silly, the acting dull. Theres dozens of great examples and somehow the writer missed all of them.
Darth Lucas: I am altering the trilogy. Pray I don't alter it further.
Author
Time
I agree with ronlaw in this summed up way: the PT was horrible due to too many "yes-men" at Lucasfilm enabling an incompetent writer/director.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: kerr
Sorry, I got a bit carried away there, but you get the point. That entire scene sucks.

LOL!
Will there ever be a SPACEBALLS II?
Author
Time
That it looks so much better than the CT 2004 special edition.