Sign In

What do you LIKE about the EU? — Page 35

Author
Time

imperialscum said: I really don't understand your functioning. In one instance you complain about something as petty as lightsabre colour variety, and in other you like that they stick lightsabre in every era and "pollute" every faction with it. What about the variety in this case?

Lightsabers in every era doesn't destroy the uniqueness of Vader or Palpatine. All Sith having red sabers does destroy their uniqueness (and yes, the prequels are just as guilty of this as KOTOR and SWTOR).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

imperialscum said: I really don't understand your functioning. In one instance you complain about something as petty as lightsabre colour variety, and in other you like that they stick lightsabre in every era and "pollute" every faction with it. What about the variety in this case?

Lightsabers in every era doesn't destroy the uniqueness of Vader or Palpatine. All Sith having red sabers does destroy their uniqueness (and yes, the prequels are just as guilty of this as KOTOR and SWTOR).

Vader was a Sith and if it was later established that it is a Sith tradition to have red lightsabres... it's doesn't diminish Vader's character uniqueness in anyway. It is just a damn weapon and red is a very popular colour. You don't expect him to be the only one having it in order to achieve your bizarre uniqueness in that respect?

Let me try to put it differently. Making Rakata use lightsabres 25,000 years before OT is stupid. It makes it look like lightsabre is eternal. If I take Obi-Wan's quote "An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age" I can assume it is quite new compared to a blaster.

真実

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is probably going to come as a shock to imperialscum, but there's something about TOR that I actually do like and accept as canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barel_Ovair

I love the idea of Sith sleeper agents -- entire families of Sith sleeper agents -- operating within the Jedi Order, working behind the scenes for centuries to undermine the Order and bring about a rebirth for the Sith.

Of course, I still don't accept the brouhaha about the Sith Emperor and his reborn Sith Empire. I'd have Ovair and his fellow spies be the descendants of followers of Exar Kun who infiltrated the Order during the Great Sith War, instead.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes it was an interesting character and concept. Sadly they didn't go beyond a few minutes video.

Btw I am curious what do you think about this organisation: Star Cabal. It is a huge Imperial Agent spoiler so if you ever intend to actually play the game, don't read about it.

真実

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

This is probably going to come as a shock to imperialscum, but there's something about TOR that I actually do like and accept as canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barel_Ovair

I love the idea of Sith sleeper agents -- entire families of Sith sleeper agents -- operating within the Jedi Order, working behind the scenes for centuries to undermine the Order and bring about a rebirth for the Sith.

imperialscum said:

Yes it was an interesting character and concept. Sadly they didn't go beyond a few minutes video.

I second all of the above.

Author
Time

The Jedi weren't always the good guys, as demonstrated by the First Great Schism. (this is something I like about the EU)

Author
Time

I'd love to see material set in the pre-ESB universe (meaning that Vader isn't Luke's father, among other things).

Author
Time

I think Vader was always intended to be Luke's father though, even in the pre-ESB universe. His name even implies it.

Author
Time

darklordoftech said:

The Jedi weren't always the good guys, as demonstrated by the First Great Schism. (this is something I like about the EU)

It's an idea I like as well. There need to be areas of gray in the SW Universe, especially when it comes down to the Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RicOlie_2 said:

I think Vader was always intended to be Luke's father though, even in the pre-ESB universe. His name even implies it.

 *sigh*

Actually, Lucas' earliest surviving notes on Vader's name don't say anything about the word "father"--rather they suggest the name was a combination of the phrases Dark Invader and Death Water.

Also, I highly suggest you read through the Leigh Brackett script of ESB.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ATMachine said:

RicOlie_2 said:

I think Vader was always intended to be Luke's father though, even in the pre-ESB universe. His name even implies it.

 *sigh*

Actually, Lucas' earliest surviving notes on Vader's name don't say anything about the word "father"--rather they suggest the name was a combination of the phrases Dark Invader and Death Water.

Also, I highly suggest you read through the Leigh Brackett script of ESB.

And even if Vader was always intended to be Luke's father, a universe in which he's not would be interesting. As far as we knew in 1977, mrs. and mr. Vader named their son Darth and Darth betrayed and murdered Luke's father.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

ATMachine said:

RicOlie_2 said:

I think Vader was always intended to be Luke's father though, even in the pre-ESB universe. His name even implies it.

 *sigh*

Actually, Lucas' earliest surviving notes on Vader's name don't say anything about the word "father"--rather they suggest the name was a combination of the phrases Dark Invader and Death Water.

Also, I highly suggest you read through the Leigh Brackett script of ESB.

And even if Vader was always intended to be Luke's father, a universe in which he's not would be interesting. As far as we knew in 1977, mrs. and mr. Vader named their son Darth and Darth betrayed and murdered Luke's father.

Which is exactly why Obi-Wan refers to Vader as "Darth" -- he's calling him by his first name, because they used to know each other.

Personally I love the idea of a SW multiverse embracing early-draft ideas. Something along the lines of the current The Star Wars comic.

You could have a version of ANH without the later sister-Skywalker retcon, where Luke is 18-20 years old and Leia is only 16, like the script calls for--and have Luke "get the girl" at the end of the saga instead of Han. (And introduce Nellith Skywalker, Luke's real twin sister, while you're at it.)

Or go with Lucas's initial thoughts about casting and have Luke still be the blond Flash Gordon type, but with Han Solo being black and Leia Japanese (plus Toshiro Mifune as Obi-Wan).

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

ATMachine said:

Personally I love the idea of a SW multiverse embracing early-draft ideas.

I guess this is my cue to provide a link to the Star Wars Multiverse list that I've been writing up. That I've gone to such an effort to create such a list is kind of embarrasing, though, and as such I'm hesitant to share it (again).

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

ATMachine said:

Personally I love the idea of a SW multiverse embracing early-draft ideas.

I guess this is my cue to provide a link to the Star Wars Multiverse list that I've been writing up. That I've gone to such an effort to create such a list is kind of embarrasing, though, and as such I'm hesitant to share it (again).

I loved that list. Never be ashamed of being a hard worker.

How about a universe in which Naga Sadow rebels against Marka Ragnos (as implied in early TOTJ comics)?

Author
Time

The Darth Plagueis novel is the best Star Wars product since 1980.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm pleased that the EU chose to explain the human and rubber forehead aliens in the SW Universe as being offshoots of humanity who came into existence through evolution/genetic manipulation rather than some stupid pseudoscientific Trekish mumbo jumbo.

Author
Time

I'm currently reading, and enjoying, Darth Plagueis. My favorite bit so far is when the titular character comments that he hears people age prematurely on Tatooine. That's hilarious.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

I noticed that the pre-KJA portion of TOTJ seems to be about adventure, like ANH.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I definitely prefer KJA over Troy Denning. At least KJA didn't make the post-Endor Jedi even stupider than the prequel Jedi.

I also wonder if Marvel will publish Star Wars #108.

Author
Time

It would be interesting if they started with the old Marvel series numbering, but that might create the false expectation we'll see old characters unique to the original run.

I'd love it if they brought Jaxxon and some others back. He needs his own book though. ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

It would be interesting if they started with the old Marvel series numbering, but that might create the false expectation we'll see old characters unique to the original run.

I'd love it if they brought Jaxxon and some others back. He needs his own book though. ;)

 Qui-Gon was wrong. Jaxxon is the Chosen One. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

I also wonder if Marvel will publish Star Wars #108.

I'd actually like to see that very much. It's unlikely to happen, though, as too many comic companies have the notion these days that any comic series with more than two digits on the cover doesn't sell as well ones with big, fat #1s boldly plastered on the cover.