Sign In

Watching with my fiancee

Author
Time
Well my girl got me the boxset and since I had some communications with Rikter and Magnolia, DVDs galore thanks to Rik and the edits thanks to Magnolia...I could show her all of it. She actually was really interested to see it and had no real knowledge of them (OT), just bits and pieces she had seen. She had seen Ep. I and II in the theatres. She watched the boxset first, then the edits (I and II), then the originals (anamorphic). Now I know what most of us think about the changes, because they have become gospel after 20-30 years. I was curious as to what she thought.

First off she loved the movies... A HUGE PLUS... for the woman I am marrying.

She didn't like the new jabba scene, really she didn't mind it, just the tail thing she though was stupid.
She didn't like the HAN-Greedo scene after she saw the original (that sets up his character she said its like if harrison ford had to wait to be cut by the sword guy in Indiana Jones before he shot him...good point)
She was indifferent on the Wampa. Leaned towards liking it. Liked the clouds through the windows.
She didn't like the little creature with jabba that laughs (which I find obnoxious too...unfortunately he's in all versions).
She really, really didn't like the terrible music and obnoxious CGI for the Jedi Rocks thing
She liked the Hayden thing as the ghost, I told her this is one of the most controversial changes. She said it makes more sense...this is never having heard a lucas explanation...she says that he didn't disappear like Obi-wan and Yoda when they died as Jedi. Further, she said, Obi-wan had stated in the talk with Luke in Degaboh that his father, the Jedi, did die when he turned to the dark side and was a jedi no longer. She said Luke had to burn darth before anakin arrived as a ghost. I was like damn. She's getting into this and you know, I couldn't argue that much. Maybe I repulsed b/c I hate Hayden or I love the originals so much, but philosophically I'll buy it. She liked the connections to the movies she had seen (I and II).
Lastly, she didn't mind the extended celebrations or change of song at the end of jedi.

She absolutely loved the edits of magnolia over the theatrical cuts...though and magnolia knows about these two things...the voices were a bit distracting and the swears by jar-jar she didn't like. Actually she too, hates jar-jar (more reasons to marry her).

This was interesting too, knowing general consensus about the OT. I said rate the movies for me. She gave A new Hope an 8.5/10, she said its like a good book, setting up the plot, though its not finished and still needs to go somewhere. Empire Strikes Back 10/10 She loved the twists...darth being the father...yoda saying there is another...the characters...the temptation,etc. She loved it. Lastly, she said the ewoks pulled ROTJ along with that Jedi rocks scene in Jabas palace. She like Luke, Darth and the Emperor and Darth coming through for Luke at the end. She thought luke doing the stuff with the saber on the sail barge was cool (and BTW she liked the beak thing, said it made the creature more scary and danger more imminent). She gave Jedi a 7.5/10

Whats funny is she put these in order that most do. I was so proud of her. She followed the plot, loves the movies and is interested to sit though documentaries. She actually watched THX 1138 with me last weekend and like the documentaries too. Umm, guys I think I lucked out on this one.
16 years I wait and this is what I get???
Author
Time
I want a girl like that... actually, I would be happy to have ANY girl right now... but a woman like that would really make my day, or - as in your case - my life.

Congratulations!
Author
Time
Consider yourself lucky, Wonton. My wife still has only seen ANH. At this point, I feel lucky just to have gotten her to watch that one, considering how adamantly she refuses to watch them.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Laserschwert
I want a girl like that... actually, I would be happy to have ANY girl right now... but a woman like that would really make my day, or - as in your case - my life.

Congratulations!
I must echoes these same sentiments. Congrats. Can only hope I'm half as lucky.
Author
Time
The last thing Star Wars I watched with my girlfriend was ESB, well, about 20 minutes of it. I just started her in on Star Wars about a month ago. We watched ANH and she said she was bored, so I asked if she would give ESB a chance. In the scene after Luke is rescued by Han, and Leia calls Han "laserbrain" - my girlfriend just sighed and was like "this is so dumb."

So I stopped it, and im waiting until she is in a more receptive mood. She doesnt seem to think its the same for me when I watch "How to lose a guy in 10 days" with her. Oh well, we cant all be as lucky as Wonton. (Although, I am very lucky nonetheless).
"You don't own space, so stop actin' like you do."
Author
Time
Quote

She liked the Hayden thing as the ghost, I told her this is one of the most controversial changes. She said it makes more sense...this is never having heard a lucas explanation...she says that he didn't disappear like Obi-wan and Yoda when they died as Jedi. Further, she said, Obi-wan had stated in the talk with Luke in Degaboh that his father, the Jedi, did die when he turned to the dark side and was a jedi no longer. She said Luke had to burn darth before anakin arrived as a ghost. I was like damn. She's getting into this and you know, I couldn't argue that much.


OK, so then when Darth turns back to the good side, and is re-born back to Anakin, why doesn't he look like Hayden when Luke removes his helmet? There is no excuse for this. It is a F###-UP!
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Mr.Coffee
Quote

She liked the Hayden thing as the ghost, I told her this is one of the most controversial changes. She said it makes more sense...this is never having heard a lucas explanation...she says that he didn't disappear like Obi-wan and Yoda when they died as Jedi. Further, she said, Obi-wan had stated in the talk with Luke in Degaboh that his father, the Jedi, did die when he turned to the dark side and was a jedi no longer. She said Luke had to burn darth before anakin arrived as a ghost. I was like damn. She's getting into this and you know, I couldn't argue that much.


OK, so then when Darth turns back to the good side, and is re-born back to Anakin, why doesn't he look like Hayden when Luke removes his helmet? There is no excuse for this. It is a F###-UP!


If he was reborn then he should look like he did when he died. But Anakin never looked like that. Shaw is just the face of a hairless, limbless, burnt up corpes in a suit. Logically shouldn't he look like this too. Obi-wonton's girl is mostly right. She sounds good in bed is she?
Author
Time
Why the fuck would you ask that you jackass?!

Oh my god, I just keep hating u more and more.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Darth Justin
Why the fuck would you ask that you jackass?!

Oh my god, I just keep hating u more and more.


Cause its funny. I love rude jokes.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Quote

Originally posted by: Darth Justin
Why the fuck would you ask that you jackass?!

Oh my god, I just keep hating u more and more.


Cause its funny. I love rude jokes.


But you're still an idiot.

Between you and Sam_Lu, I think this message board might just have the two most inconsiderate, thick-skulled board-trolls on the internet.
For as much as some people claim to hate what Star Wars has become, they sure seem incapable of shutting up about it.
Author
Time
My wife likes the Star Wars movies and she really enjoyed watching the new Star Wars DVDs at home but she still doesn't understand why I have like a million different versions of the films on VHS, LaserDics and DVD and why I have so many lightsaber replicas
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: BadAsh71
My wife likes the Star Wars movies and she really enjoyed watching the new Star Wars DVDs at home but she still doesn't understand why I have like a million different versions of the films on VHS, LaserDics and DVD and why I have so many lightsaber replicas


She sounds far more well balanced than the rest of us!
For as much as some people claim to hate what Star Wars has become, they sure seem incapable of shutting up about it.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: BadAsh71
My wife likes the Star Wars movies and she really enjoyed watching the new Star Wars DVDs at home but she still doesn't understand why I have like a million different versions of the films on VHS, LaserDics and DVD and why I have so many lightsaber replicas


Thats my problem. I have yet to find an attractive girl who likes Star Wars. Liking Star Wars is not a nessessity in a women but it is a plus.
Author
Time
Which Star Wars would you like her to appreciate jimbo?

Also, dont you think that your odd interest in everything that GL spews from his ass might be seen as a potential turn off?
"You don't own space, so stop actin' like you do."
Author
Time
Quote


Originally posted by Jimbo
Thats my problem. I have yet to find an attractive girl who likes Star Wars. Liking Star Wars is not a nessessity in a women but it is a plus.


Jimbo, that's not your problem. YOUR problem is your probably an ugly, boring, sad mother f***ker, probably still living at home, who wouldn't even know what to do or say around a woman. If you ever find a woman or similiar life partner (and no Jimbo, your Wookie doll doesn't count) hold onto her for dear life. Someone who could put up with all your shit, THAT would be a plus.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Lethe
Which Star Wars would you like her to appreciate jimbo?

Quoted for Truthery
(I hate to use this phrase...I've seen it a lot on the WOTC message boards and its kind of annoying, but I think it fits.)

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Lethe
Which Star Wars would you like her to appreciate jimbo?

Also, dont you think that your odd interest in everything that GL spews from his ass might be seen as a potential turn off?


Don't think so. Ladies seem not to be turned off by my love of Star Wars just aren't into it themselves. Also to Figrin__Dan fuck you.
Author
Time
Quote

She didn't like the little creature with jabba that laughs (which I find obnoxious too...unfortunately he's in all versions).


Well thats where she trips up, you see Salacious Crumb kicks 101 different types of Ass!
We Got Death Star!
We Got Death Star!
Author
Time
Quote

Quoted for Truthery


Hey starkiller, call me dense, but whats "truthery"? I googled it real quick and got a lot of results pertaining to Magic(cards).

In potential defense of my position, Jimbo seems really cool with the SE versions, and I was just wondering if he would make a destinction in a potential interest. So, to rephrase:

Hey jimbo, would it matter what version the female preferred? If she was a purist would it be a problem for you?


And I guess its necessary to note that my second comment was entirely sarcastic and directed directly at the particularly apologetic stance that jimbo takes in conversations regarding GL, and his decisions.

But, whatever.

"You don't own space, so stop actin' like you do."
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Quote

Originally posted by: Lethe
Which Star Wars would you like her to appreciate jimbo?

Also, dont you think that your odd interest in everything that GL spews from his ass might be seen as a potential turn off?


Don't think so. Ladies seem not to be turned off by my love of Star Wars just aren't into it themselves. Also to Figrin__Dan fuck you.


Whoa, looks like I've pissed him off enough that hes cursing other users now!
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Lethe
Quote

Quoted for Truthery
Hey starkiller, call me dense, but whats "truthery"? I googled it real quick and got a lot of results pertaining to Magic(cards).
That's where I got it, the Magic: The Gathering message boards (another of my usual stops).

I think the phrase is used as a way of saying "Right on" and "I agree completely". The times I've seen it, that's the impression I've gotten. I couldn't tell you how it started though, just hwere I saw it, and that its being used excessively on those Magic boards.

Author
Time
Quote

If he was reborn then he should look like he did when he died. But Anakin never looked like that. Shaw is just the face of a hairless, limbless, burnt up corpes in a suit. Logically shouldn't he look like this too. Obi-wonton's girl is mostly right. She sounds good in bed is she?


What the hell are you talking about!!????!!!!
Author
Time
Thanks starkiller, I have to admit that I thought you were calling me out or something. Im glad that ended up not being the case.

It just dawned on me, if that were the case you'd have been defending jimbo. Now thats not to say that nobody on the forum would defend jimbo, but I should have thought about that before making a conclusion.
"You don't own space, so stop actin' like you do."
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Lethe
Thanks starkiller, I have to admit that I thought you were calling me out or something. Im glad that ended up not being the case.

It just dawned on me, if that were the case you'd have been defending jimbo. Now thats not to say that nobody on the forum would defend jimbo, but I should have thought about that before making a conclusion.
No, I'm not confrontational like that.

As for defending jimbo...I may have done that once or twice a long, long time ago, but not this time.
What I was trying to say was that I agreed with your statement.
Indeed, what version of Star Wars would jimbo want a woman to appreciate? Given what we know, he'd probably want a semi-SW fan born post-1983.
Author
Time
Wait wait wait, you found a girl who loves Star Wars AND the O-OT?! Jesus, what are you waiting, marry her now. Go to Las Vegas and merry her in like, 10 minutes.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering