Sign In

Vader in the Solo "hologram scene"

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m looking for an FX artist who can make this happen - if anyone has any idea, I’m all ears (eyes). I can work out the audio but the video will be tough.

vader-hologram.jpg

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Blender and a good Vader model would be your best bet. Unless someone here has a Vader costume. You might also look online for a Vader cosplayer that would be willing to help out with the performance, then all you would need is to composite it in After Effects

JEDIT:
Also, will the dialog be the same as what is already in Solo?

I might be able to help if need be.

“You can’t polish a turd. But you can shape it to look like candy.”

Author
Time

Jackpumpkinhead said:

Blender and a good Vader model would be your best bet. Unless someone here has a Vader costume. You might also look online for a Vader cosplayer that would be willing to help out with the performance, then all you would need is to composite it in After Effects

JEDIT:
Also, will the dialog be the same as what is already in Solo?

I might be able to help if need be.

I will definitely need some assistance making this happen visually. A Vader cosplayer would literally just have to stand there and make slight movements but I’d need someone to film it and then composite it. i’m good with directing, editing(making actual cuts) and making mockups… but this shot is going to require somebody with a VFX background.

As far as the dialogue, how can you help if we keep the dialogue the same? Vader’s voice?

Author
Time

I don’t think I could help with the voice, but I might be able to help with the VFX. I think if your going to do this right you are going to need original audio and not just splice together audio from the other movies/tv shows. You might be able to reach out to someone who can do a good impression on YouTube. Someone not looking to monetize their channel. That’s what I did with my edit of AOTC and I think it turned out well.

“You can’t polish a turd. But you can shape it to look like candy.”

Author
Time

Jackpumpkinhead said:

I don’t think I could help with the voice, but I might be able to help with the VFX. I think if your going to do this right you are going to need original audio and not just splice together audio from the other movies/tv shows. You might be able to reach out to someone who can do a good impression on YouTube. Someone not looking to monetize their channel. That’s what I did with my edit of AOTC and I think it turned out well.

If you can help with VFX, that would be great! I know of a few guys who do great Vader impressions - namely the guy from Shards of the Past - I’m going to give him a shout. I jsut didn’t want to dive too deep without knowing if i could make the VFX happen.

Author
Time

Out of curiosity, what is the idea/motivation behind this?

Author
Time

ForceGhostRecon said:

I’m looking for an FX artist who can make this happen - if anyone has any idea, I’m all ears (eyes). I can work out the audio but the video will be tough.

vader-hologram.jpg

I think Starkiller can work too as a Darth Maul replacement. You know, Starkiller from the now-Legends game, “The Force Unleashed”?

Author
Time

FreezingTNT said:

ForceGhostRecon said:

I’m looking for an FX artist who can make this happen - if anyone has any idea, I’m all ears (eyes). I can work out the audio but the video will be tough.

vader-hologram.jpg

I think Starkiller can work too as a Darth Maul replacement. You know, Starkiller from the now-Legends game, “The Force Unleashed”?

That’d be Lucas approved then!

THE LUCASFILM/DISNEY STAR WARS DICTIONARY
Character: a vessel by which an ulterior motive is expressed, including social trends, one-liners, or cliché wisdom.
Derivations of Original Trilogy characters are necessary until told otherwise.
Expanded Universe: Error Error Does not Compute
Nostalgia: Original Trilogy
Story: any element of a movie that can be adapted, in part or whole, from the Original Trilogy; See also: nostalgia.

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Out of curiosity, what is the idea/motivation behind this?

To replace Maul with Vader. I didn’t like Maul’s cameo and thought Vader would be a better choice.

Author
Time

Without sounding rude, how would Vader make more sense than Maul? Maul is tied to crime syndicates already and I don’t see Vader involving himself in something so beneath him.

Author
Time

Lesser said:

Without sounding rude, how would Vader make more sense than Maul? Maul is tied to crime syndicates already and I don’t see Vader involving himself in something so beneath him.

Putting Darth Maul in Solo was confusing for anyone who hasn’t seen The Clone Wars cartoon.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve seen the cartoon and I know the whole story - still think it was a very forced cameo (no pun intended). We can argue opinion all day but my preference is Vader, which is why I’m replacing Maul. If you like the Maul version, you’re in luck because he’s in the official release. 😃

Author
Time

I think Maul was a mistake, but Vader makes even less sense to include. Someone like Jabba, Boba Fett, Cad Bane, etc. would make more sense.

Honestly, in-universe, Maul is the better choice, but it doesn’t really work in the movie.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Vader makes sense to me in the context of having the Empire’s fingers move into all areas of the galaxy and grasping for control. The Crimson Dawn would be the Emperor’s pawn in controlling the underworld through a puppet while he controls the more civilized world openly.

When Solo came out I had the same thought of it being Vader, having him control the underworld for the Emperor, maybe even doing it behind his back. But that way the post Order-66 era wouldn’t have two different opposing evil forces. You have the Galactic Empire who controls not only the government and the military, but has its own secret Jedi hunting force in the inquisitors under Vader, and then if Vader was in charge of Crimson Dawn they would secretly rule the underworld as well.

Author
Time

Wouldn’t just making a Vader Suit and filming someone in it be a more practical idea?

Author
Time

I was thinking if somebody can silo Vader from Rogue One into a background shot… maybe slow Vader down and add a holo effect, that could work.

Clip from Rogue one (added holo effect)
mockup1.png

Composite into background shot from solo
mokcup2.jpg

Obviously this is very rough visually, but I’d leave it to the VFX person to make it as close to perfect as it could be

Author
Time

I’m still confused on why there are still people confused with characters coming back. It happens so often in everything that I don’t really need to be told how somebody came back anymore. I could go into a whole story, but I support your Vader work and I hope to see it finished!

Author
Time

ForceGhostRecon said:

Jackpumpkinhead said:

I don’t think I could help with the voice, but I might be able to help with the VFX. I think if your going to do this right you are going to need original audio and not just splice together audio from the other movies/tv shows. You might be able to reach out to someone who can do a good impression on YouTube. Someone not looking to monetize their channel. That’s what I did with my edit of AOTC and I think it turned out well.

If you can help with VFX, that would be great! I know of a few guys who do great Vader impressions - namely the guy from Shards of the Past - I’m going to give him a shout. I jsut didn’t want to dive too deep without knowing if i could make the VFX happen.

You mean Star Wars Theory?

Author
Time

FreezingTNT said:

ForceGhostRecon said:

Jackpumpkinhead said:

I don’t think I could help with the voice, but I might be able to help with the VFX. I think if your going to do this right you are going to need original audio and not just splice together audio from the other movies/tv shows. You might be able to reach out to someone who can do a good impression on YouTube. Someone not looking to monetize their channel. That’s what I did with my edit of AOTC and I think it turned out well.

If you can help with VFX, that would be great! I know of a few guys who do great Vader impressions - namely the guy from Shards of the Past - I’m going to give him a shout. I jsut didn’t want to dive too deep without knowing if i could make the VFX happen.

You mean Star Wars Theory?

Well Star Wars Theory produced the film but Jesse Gomez was Vader’s actual voice actor for the film.

Author
Time

dgraham414 said:

Vader makes sense to me in the context of having the Empire’s fingers move into all areas of the galaxy and grasping for control. The Crimson Dawn would be the Emperor’s pawn in controlling the underworld through a puppet while he controls the more civilized world openly.

When Solo came out I had the same thought of it being Vader, having him control the underworld for the Emperor, maybe even doing it behind his back. But that way the post Order-66 era wouldn’t have two different opposing evil forces. You have the Galactic Empire who controls not only the government and the military, but has its own secret Jedi hunting force in the inquisitors under Vader, and then if Vader was in charge of Crimson Dawn they would secretly rule the underworld as well.

Good explanation! I saw it from the point of view as Vader undermining the Emperor by having dealings on the side. It spotlights the Vader/Emperor tension and also adds additional OT synergy villian-wise.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lesser said:

I’m still confused on why there are still people confused with characters coming back. It happens so often in everything that I don’t really need to be told how somebody came back anymore. I could go into a whole story, but I support your Vader work and I hope to see it finished!

It’s not about confusion, it’s about cohesiveness. I agree with ForceGhostRecon, Maul sticks out like a sore thumb because he prevents the movies from being cohesive in their own right. It’s like if Tarkin suddenly appeared alive again in RotJ with no explanation, and then I told you “Oh, don’t worry, there’s a comic book where he gets pulled off the Death Star at the last second by someone using the World Between Worlds”. Doesn’t matter if it’s explained somewhere else, it still breaks the cohesion of the movies.

Author
Time

Buzz Lightyear said:

It’s not about confusion, it’s about cohesiveness. I agree with ForceGhostRecon, Maul sticks out like a sore thumb because he prevents the movies from being cohesive in their own right. It’s like if Tarkin suddenly appeared alive again in RotJ with no explanation, and then I told you “Oh, don’t worry, there’s a comic book where he gets pulled off the Death Star at the last second by someone using the World Between Worlds”. Doesn’t matter if it’s explained somewhere else, it still breaks the cohesion of the movies.

I’d still argue the cohesiveness with overall canon is more important. It’s what makes Star Wars special, and what makes the MCU frustrating when the movies ignore all the shows they claim to be canon. My mother, who is only a casual SW fan at best, had no clue about Maul being alive in a cartoon but was excited to see him at the end of Solo. I understand it’s not for everybody. Still looking forward to this Vader bit.

Author
Time

Lesser said:

Buzz Lightyear said:

It’s not about confusion, it’s about cohesiveness. I agree with ForceGhostRecon, Maul sticks out like a sore thumb because he prevents the movies from being cohesive in their own right. It’s like if Tarkin suddenly appeared alive again in RotJ with no explanation, and then I told you “Oh, don’t worry, there’s a comic book where he gets pulled off the Death Star at the last second by someone using the World Between Worlds”. Doesn’t matter if it’s explained somewhere else, it still breaks the cohesion of the movies.

I’d still argue the cohesiveness with overall canon is more important. It’s what makes Star Wars special, and what makes the MCU frustrating when the movies ignore all the shows they claim to be canon. My mother, who is only a casual SW fan at best, had no clue about Maul being alive in a cartoon but was excited to see him at the end of Solo. I understand it’s not for everybody. Still looking forward to this Vader bit.

I personally prefer the MCU approach of ignoring direct ties to the shows and other supplementary material. If I do a marathon of the MCU with my friends and family, I know it can stand on its own.

Also I don’t see how it’s “what makes Star Wars special”, when the Star Wars movies had no regard for supplementary material before the Disney buyout. Was Star Wars not special back then?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Instead of replacing Maul, why not give Qi’ra more agency and just not have anyone she has to report to?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Vader will be fun to see if this is done right… which is what I plan to do, if I can orchestrate all the contributors.