Sign In

Unusual Sequel Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 58

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Goddammit MR, you ruined my point! 😉

Although technically, those were just one off gag sequences, and didn’t interfere with the tension of the movie. I was just contrasting that to TLJ’s nonstop use of bathos.

So to bring the convo full circle, I suspect some editing of the more tone-deaf humor would improve TLJ quite a bit. Sort of like how reducing Jar Jar’s stupid comic moments makes Phantom flow a bit better too.

Here’s an interesting removal of the lightsaber toss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-alL-AT6mJI

Note how well it works when keeping the tone consistent. Luke’s disillusion is still clear, but it doesn’t disrespect the themes Lucas built Star Wars on–the passing of Excalibur from teacher to student.

Think about Qui-Gon; even though he was only in one movie and died quickly and unceremoniously, people remember him and the archetype he represented. Lucas got a lot wrong with Phantom, but he did nail that theme spot on.

Author
Time

Glad you finally found some relevance in this pointless conversation. I agree that removing some humor would make the movie flow better. But I’m still not sure if Luke giving the saber back to Rey can be pulled off seamlessly. In every clip that I’ve seen, the footage is obviously reversed.

One option I’ve seen that might have promise is Luke just keeping the saber, and walking off with it. I think it could be pulled off through some simple cutting, and it would show that Luke is conflicted over whether he should return, rather than flat-out refusing to help.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I feel like the saber should still be tossed. Nothing has changed for him to be conflicted about the decision he made years ago. He doesn’t know about Han yet, he doesn’t know Leia is in danger, and believes Kylo is beyond redemption.

Changing the music cues to make it seem less like a joke, and removing the scene from Force Awakens might better achieve what you’re looking to accomplish.

Luke needs motivation for his conflict, more than a strange kid bringing him something he lost 30+ years ago after he got rid of the one he built for himself. If you want to have him more conflicted, I’d recommend re-inserting the “Luke Takes a Moment” deleted scene.

Author
Time

Well, you like the saber toss, but I don’t, so our editing motivations are clearly at odds here. But I think it makes sense for Luke to be conflicted. He’s never been one to just give up hope. I’m trying to convey a sense that Luke began to regret his decision after the years went by, but he had already crashed his only means of escape into the ocean. When Rey comes bearing his old saber, Luke realizes that he finally has a chance to return and redeem himself, but he’s still not convinced whether that’s a good idea.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, his crashed ship is still functional, and his conflicted feelings about it just emphasise that he let Han die. Because if he regretted or was even conflicted about his decision, he wouldn’t have cut himself off from the Force so completely. Toning down Luke’s “giving up completely” only makes him more of a villain.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JakeRyan17 said:

Well, his crashed ship is still functional,

Not if you cut that scene in TROS, which I’m actually planning to do. It makes Luke’s display of Force awesomeness on Crait just look stupid.

and his conflicted feelings about it just emphasise that he let Han die. Because if he regretted or was even conflicted about his decision, he wouldn’t have cut himself off from the Force so completely. Toning down Luke’s “giving up completely” only makes him more of a villain.

But like I said, his only option of escape was cut off (at least in this version), so it’s not like he could do anything about it. It would just create the impression that he didn’t feel it was necessary to open himself to the Force, because he had no idea how much death and destruction the First Order were causing.

Author
Time

How are you handling that sequence in Rise then? If the Saber isn’t tossed in Last Jedi, there’s no reason for her to toss it again, spurring Luke to appear.

Does Rey still travel to Ahch-To? I know that TIE has already survived complete destruction once before, but it’s less plausible for Rey to escape Ahch-To after burning it. And then Rey flies a damaged X-Wing to Exegol, Kylo walks by it, and Rey leaves in it and arrives back at Ajan Kloss in it.

If you can successfully adjust all that, I’d be really curious as to how (I have separate issues with Rey using his X-Wing and destroying the same ship twice).

Author
Time

I’m cutting the Ach-To sequence completely. After healing Kylo, Rey goes with Finn and Poe back to the Resistance base. Finn and Rey’s conversation would be inserted on the way back, to show that Rey is traveling with them. When DO is decrypted by the Resistance, he gives them the location of Exegol, achieved by cutting Poe’s line “Except how to get there”. The next time we see Rey, she’s approaching Exegol in an X-wing. Since the fighter has no visible damage at all for some reason, the only logical assumption is that she piloted a spare X-Wing from the days of the Rebellion. The flashback of Leia training with Luke would be inserted earlier in the movie, setting up the appearance of Leia’s saber.

Author
Time

You could have the Ahch-To scene (sans burning TIE) near the beginning, possibly even tying it into Rey’s training somehow. That way Luke can still give it to her…

Unless you plan to get rid of Rey attempting to give Luke’s Saber to Leia, to give the impression Rey has both sabers for the entirety of the film?

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

You could have the Ahch-To scene (sans burning TIE) near the beginning, possibly even tying it into Rey’s training somehow. That way Luke can still give it to her…

That could be a good idea as well. Maybe some kind of “a few months earlier” flashback, just to set up that Rey has it.

Author
Time

You could potentially use the Falcon going to Ahch-To (reusing TFA footage), have Rey and Luke’s talk, move the Dejarik scene from the beginning to between the outdoor chat and the flashback to show where Poe/Finn are at during, then have them travel to Pasaana.

This way you still get Rey feeling uneasy and cut off, you reveal Rey’s misgivings (maybe more vaguely about the dark side rather than about parentage), she can receive the lightsaber, and know the stakes for Leia deciding to train her. Might give more weight to the scenes with Leia, knowing those stakes earlier.

Author
Time

For the saber toss, I remember there was a much more dramatic take of that from the documentary. It seamed to really fit with the TFA ending. The issue was the string holding the saber being visible, and that Luke’s hand was pre-CG.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

For the saber toss, I remember there was a much more dramatic take of that from the documentary. It seamed to really fit with the TFA ending. The issue was the string holding the saber being visible, and that Luke’s hand was pre-CG.

I don’t think I’ve seen that. Wou1d there be a way to intercut the two with minimal VFX to change the take? Or is it BTS of them filming the shot?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

thebluefrog said:

This guy explains it better than I can (he does good commentary on movies, btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuDTnMPMgc

lol

Generally I agree though that TLJ’s biggest problem is the Bathos. I’m tempted to make a more conservative edit that just cuts down on some of the weird jokes, but that keeps mostly everything else intact. And even then, I’d still keep the jokes that don’t undermine the story.

I’m not a huge fan of conservative edits, though. If you’re only making minor changes to a movie that doesn’t fundamentally alter the experience, the purist in me would rather just watch the definitive cut of the movie.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

thebluefrog said:

This guy explains it better than I can (he does good commentary on movies, btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuDTnMPMgc

lol

Generally I agree though that TLJ’s biggest problem is the Bathos. I’m tempted to make a more conservative edit that just cuts down on some of the weird jokes, but that keeps mostly everything else intact. And even then, I’d still keep the jokes that don’t undermine the story.

I’m not a huge fan of conservative edits, though. If you’re only making minor changes to a movie that doesn’t fundamentally alter the experience, the purist in me would rather just watch the definitive cut of the movie.

My edits are largely conservative, but it was about making all three more cohesive. So there were more dramatic cuts and changes to Rise of Skywalker, whereas more minor changes to the other two films (adding scenes or dialogue to set up Rise, etc.)

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Sequel-Trilogy-Special-Edition-StormPilot/id/75425

Author
Time

Movies Remastered said:

Wasn’t that virtually Ivans edit without the “it belongs to you now” VO?

Not at all. I wouldn’t consider Ivan’s edit remotely conservative.

Even if it was, though, Ivan’s enough of a shitty person that I wouldn’t keep his fanedit around on principle. Profiting off his fanedit is an asshole thing to do and dangerous to fanediting communities like this one.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

Movies Remastered said:

Wasn’t that virtually Ivans edit without the “it belongs to you now” VO?

Not at all. I wouldn’t consider Ivan’s edit remotely conservative.

Even if it was, though, Ivan’s enough of a shitty person that I wouldn’t keep his fanedit around on principle. Profiting off his fanedit is an asshole thing to do and dangerous to fanediting communities like this one.

Who and what edit? Thats messed up to charge people

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TheAlaskanSandman said:

SparkySywer said:

Movies Remastered said:

Wasn’t that virtually Ivans edit without the “it belongs to you now” VO?

Not at all. I wouldn’t consider Ivan’s edit remotely conservative.

Even if it was, though, Ivan’s enough of a shitty person that I wouldn’t keep his fanedit around on principle. Profiting off his fanedit is an asshole thing to do and dangerous to fanediting communities like this one.

Who and what edit? Thats messed up to charge people

He wasn’t charging people. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. But he was putting ads on his videos and using patreon to profit off the fanedit, which is still pretty deep into unethical territory and still jeopardizes fanediting communities.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

SparkySywer said:

Movies Remastered said:

Wasn’t that virtually Ivans edit without the “it belongs to you now” VO?

Not at all. I wouldn’t consider Ivan’s edit remotely conservative.

Even if it was, though, Ivan’s enough of a shitty person that I wouldn’t keep his fanedit around on principle. Profiting off his fanedit is an asshole thing to do and dangerous to fanediting communities like this one.

Who and what edit? Thats messed up to charge people

He wasn’t charging people. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. But he was putting ads on his videos and using patreon to profit off the fanedit, which is still pretty deep into unethical territory and still jeopardizes fanediting communities.

Ahh ok. Yea i couldn’t even bring my self to start a gofundme for materials or software/hardware haha

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Would it be possible to add footage of Poe ejecting from the Tie Fighter at the start of TFA? Maybe even footage of him landing or wandering around Jakku? His survival has no business being a surprise and just feels contrived. It’s painfully obvious it was added in reshoots.

Author
Time

I agree that something should be done to imply he could have survived, but it shouldn’t be explicit. If we knew for a certain he survived, it would distract from the narrative until his return.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

I think just a shot of him ejecting would work. His fate is unknown. He could be dead, he could be alive, but it feels like a mystery and not a distraction.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

But if that were the case, it would disconnect from our POV as Finn since he appears to believe that Poe went down with the ship.

The other films and the third act elevate Poe to a POV character anyway, so following him earlier in the movie isn’t a big deal.

You could potentially rework scenes from the Resistance base on D’Qar, including the deleted scene where someone asks “any word from Poe”, and you could engineer a new reply of “we found him” or something.