logo Sign In

Info: Thread Closed, Please Delete. Thanks

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Due to copyright reasons this WILL never be created.

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Remember, Highlander, you’ve both still got your full measure of life. Use it well, and your future will be glorious.

Author
Time
Mitch you're absolutely right that the biggest challenge is making the extra footage stand out as little as possible. The main factor that will make this difficult is that the extended cut of STM was made from a 16mm source. I'm assuming you'll need a 4:3 VHS copy of the theatrical cut to fill in footage lost through commercial breaks and station ID's, such footage will be quite noticeable as it will be from a 35mm source.

GOOD LUCK, I wish you well with this, a lot of Superman fans have been chasing this for some time.

Forever a Christopher Reeve Superman Movie Fan.
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Author
Time
Why the VHS? Surely you could do far better by using the DVD (or better yet, the HDDVD), and cropping it down to size.
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Author
Time
You might want to consider using the early 80's full-frame Laserdisc, as the transfer is about as old as the broadcast versions. (This would also give you a decent analog stereo audio track to work with.) Even the special edition VHS might look too "new".
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
Mitch, do you hang out at the Superman Cinema message board?
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: SilverWook
You might want to consider using the early 80's full-frame Laserdisc, as the transfer is about as old as the broadcast versions. (This would also give you a decent analog stereo audio track to work with.) Even the special edition VHS might look too "new".

You have to look out for that disk, as a number of them suffer from "Disc Rot". I've read that a few other people have had that problem as well. Mt copy of "Superman II" also shows this "Disc Rot" problem. My L.D. of Superman and Superman II are ready for the trash, and it was the soundtracks that did show the first signs of the problem. Another thing you would have to take note of, is that some of the scenes that are on the extended T.V. versions have some alternate music to the ones on the official video release. ADigitalMan asked if you hang out on the "Superman Cinema message board"? I do! "Superman Cinema" is a great resource, and I used there site as a guide in making my composite edit.

Index: Superman CINEMA

FF

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mitch
We would use the VHS because of the lower quality in the available extended footage. We really do not want it to be totally noticeable, but we will see. Going froom HDDVD to crappy extended copied VHS footage even if cleaned up to the best would look poor. We want it to be like you were watching it in 1983 on KCOP.

I certainly understand your line of thinking. My only reservation is that it becomes not so much a restoration, as sort of an evening out of two main sources..."We're gonna shine up the extended stuff as much as possible, and then we'll take the stuff that's on the DVD/VHS, and we're gonna crap it up just enough so that it blends in with the old off-the-air recordings."

...Whhhhaaa? If you're going to do that, there's really only one logical thing to do: Find the best copy you can of the complete extended edition, shine it up, and leave it at that. The only real reason to edit in from different sources is if you're willing to accept having VISIBLE quality differences. Otherwise, you're not going to be picky enough to say "This scene looks best in this source, and this scene looks best in this source..." Because if you are looking at it that way, then there WILL BE A VISIBLE QUALITY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCENES.

I'm not at all attacking you, I just want to make sure that you have your thinking totally lined up before you start doing this in earnest. I've wanted to see a nice looking version of this for a long time, so I really really really look forward to seeing the results, and I'm delighted that you're taking this challenge on.

My personal feelings? I'm not all that bothered by quality differences. In a way, I like it, because it really clues me into what's added in, and what's not. I'd like to see every frame come from as high a quality a source as possible, regardless of what differences between scenes crop up. So whether it's HDDVD, DVD, VHS, off-the-air archival stuff...I want to see it all, each bit coming from whatever is the best.

But that's just my feelings, and this is your project, so best of luck either way.
Author
Time
Mitch,

You may want to try and make contact with Ilya Salkind! Mr. Salkind is a very very nice man, and he still has a deep love for his "Superman" movie past and also the extended versions he produced for T.V. airing. I know that he has gone out of his way to be very nice to Superman fans and he supports a release of the Salkind edits. Ilya just may be approachable, and willing to help you find the footage you need! If you make a good case and come off as talented and professional, you may find yourself working on an official release. Take the chance man!

You can contact him at The Ilya Salkind Company, Inc. (CLICK HERE)

FF

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
Oh, boy, that would be incredible! I'd love to see the extended cut in the original widescreen aspect ratio, fully restored! It's a shame those scenes weren't included in the recent releases. But I would be glad just to be able to see the fullscreen version from TV. Good luck on the project!
Two-Face - A Batman:The Animated Series Movie
Author
Time
I have received a BETA of the original Superman KCOP TV version from a fellow person here on the boards.
I had a friend try and transfer it but he had a SONY deck which doesn;t seem to track very well. I am trying to find someone with a deck other than SONY becuase it seems it has tracking problems. The person I got the tape from had a SONY deck as well. I am looking into gettting a DECK on EBAY. I also have a BETA original tape of the two tape making of Superman I and II so if I get a deck I am going to trasnfer that as well. That tape also trackd poor on a SONY? Does anyone have a BETA player.

BTW!! I am doing very well on capturing the material I need for this edition or restoration - I have recieved several tapoes and have found my original ABC cut as well. Things are going good, however, this BETA tape is far superior and fcould end up being the holy grail of the Superman extended if we can get it to track.

Peace all..

Help appreciated, lol

Author
Time
Is your BETA tape NTSC or PAL?
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.
Author
Time

Is your BETA tape NTSC or PAL?

NTSC

Thanks for the reply - ;-)

Author
Time

Hey Mitch

don't know if this would be much help but i found a fullscreen LD of Superman The Movie for $3

http://www.bigemma.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_37&products_id=11384

can't wait to see the final product!!!!1

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
i don't want to sound like an asshole but is this just vaporware?

kinda like some people have accused the X-0 project of being, i am not one of them as i see that as a tremendous effort and love of the oot.

i distinctly remember riktors old thread for it, like a couple years ago or something.

i hope it comes out.

a film print came up on ebay once for the abc tv cut extended version i did not buy it, for 200.00 bucks and full screen or foolscreen.

the footage has to exist in some vault somewhere in widescreen.

for those in the know the best pcm of the original theatrical stereo mix is the japan widescreen laserdisc which was the last pressing of supes on laserdisc.

the us one is good too, just not as good.

then their is the hard to find two disc expanded soundtrack by John Williams and the original LP record.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

I've got the 2 disc expanded soundtrack in MP3 format. also got an orignal CD version of the shorter soundtrack.

Author
Time
was the expanded score ever issue on LP like the remastered raiders of the lost ark was?

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

don't think it was. The 2 disc CD i have a copy of is this one -> http://www.zianet.com/comic-booksuperstore/merchandise/dc-cds.html

Author
Time
No vapor on this project! We are working on getting everything together to begin the project but I have problems with a couple of itmes -

1. I need a Beta Player other than SONY ( that is the one I have and my other friend has the same one that tracks bad), I keep bidding for one on EBAY and get outbid, outbid, outbid. It is driving me nuts.

The copy I have on BETA looks wonderful but it tracks horrible on my SONY. I need someone that has a BETA player to get involved to do the transfer and I am still looking (for that someone) and still bidding on EBAY daily.

2. A BETA player, ugh!!! lol!!!!

I also have the original BETA making of Superman I and II but it tracks poor on my SONY -

I know it's not the player becuase my original KING KONG 3 hour TV version works fine still, I just tested it again.

Hopefully something comes up soon.

Author
Time
An interesting point is that the extended cut of STM was broadcast from a 16mm print where's the extended cut of SII was produced from a 35mm and 16mm print (for the extended scenes). That’s why the extra footage stands out more in the SII extended cut, where's the KCOP Cut of STM is more consistent.

I really believe that the an old 4:3 VHS tape of STM needs to be used for consistency sake. That was the stance taken by the team who put SII RIC together, which proved a wise decision.

Hey Mitch did you get the discs I sent you? Hope all is well.
Forever a Christopher Reeve Superman Movie Fan.
Author
Time
Hi!

I don't know how far along you are, but I have the second half of the ABC edit on VHS. I believe that it is 1st Gen. (It still is not that great, tho. It looks a little washed out. And it looks like a TV program that was recorded on a VCR in the early 80's :-)) It starts at around the "can you read my mind?" sequence. Do you want it? I'd be glad to send it you.

Let me know

Buck
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Author
Time
Update:

I am in the process of buying a Beta player once again.
It is tough to not get outbid on EBAY on one of these things.

Notes: I have looked over the stuff I have assembled it and it looks great. (minus the Beta tape) whcih keep in mind its an original recording, now if memory serves me correctly it awesome - tape rot is possible - keeping fingures crossed.

Items we will be using -

Beta Superman KCOP -
Superman - The ABC cut -
Original KCOP channel 10 broadcast -
Second half a KCOP copy which may even be better ( someone here is sending it to me)
The archived - TCM - restoration of Superman - The Movie - This was created just before the Special Edition was released.
The all new transfers from the mega set -
The original VHS and the Special Edition tape as a guide and possibly some sound and footage (if better quality)

This film will be full on fullscreen - no switch back and forth / widescreen to full - sound will be the original dolby sound ( not the Thau version)

Project is getting looking good -

If there is anyone out there with better copies ( so you think) please send them) we want the best to move forward on this project.

Thanks

Mitch

PLease help ;-)

Author
Time
Why the studios don't milk this type of stuff, when they will double-dip on everything else, I'll never understand. Can't wait to see this!

FE<3OT