Sign In

The Usual Sequel Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 46

Author
Time
 (Edited)

All these years and I never knew Ric Olie was one of the starfighter pilots…

For Baby Yoda… Yoda about the equivalent to 90 when he’s 900 years old, right? So if Baby Yoda is 50 years old, him being 80 years old is the equivalent of going from 5 years old to 8 years old.

That’s what I thought until I realized baby Yoda is closer 2 than 5.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rough pass at an older, but still child, Baby Yoda. I am going to make it in photoshop before premiere.

IMG

IMG

The ears are much smaller, more in line with Yoda, and I’m trying to get rid of the all-black eyes (very childlike) with mixed results. This is more a proof of concept.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

I would have loved if the film had a small Endgame moment with many familiar faces coming back from retirement for the ultimate battle. They wouldn’t even need to be named characters, but showing like, a Mon calamari bridge, or at least close-ups of the ships involved, would have sold the moment better.

For now the best we can do is going the Hal route and add comlink lines to the pilots, and maybe sneak in one Easter egg or two.

Regarding Baby Yoda, I have the feeling his species has a different growth rate, with a very long toddler stage followed for a sudden, quick infancy/adolescence. If Yoda’s species aged the same way as us, and baby Yoda is 50, Yoda at 900 would look like a young adult instead of being on his deathbed.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

I would have loved if the film had a small Endgame moment with many familiar faces coming back from retirement for the ultimate battle. They wouldn’t even need to be named characters, but showing like, a Mon calamari bridge, or at least close-ups of the ships involved, would have sold the moment better.

Admiral Raddus would be a good Mon Calamari character to add, you could adjust his skin colour to make it look like a different older Mon Calamari.

Author
Time

I don’t think we should add Baby Yoda, aged up or not, since we have no idea what will happen to him in Season 2. He could look completely different. Maybe he grows an extra ear, I don’t know. As for everyone else added in the scene, some of it works. The Naboo pilots from the end of TPM for instance is a good idea. But in general, reusing scenes always takes me out of the edit. Of course that’s just me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also, I don’t think anyone has pointed this out yet, but the Trade Federation guys wouldn’t work either. Anakin killed them in Episode III.

In general, I don’t think reusing old shots for the big finale is a good idea. It seems like a big nostalgic fanservice scene would have to be a decision made during production, and it just isn’t feasible here.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Also, I don’t think anyone has pointed this out yet, but the Trade Federation guys wouldn’t work either. Anakin killed them in Episode III.

In general, I don’t think reusing old shots for the big finale is a good idea. It seems like a big nostalgic fanservice scene would have to be a decision made during production, and it just isn’t feasible here.

I don’t think he killed the entire species.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

StarkillerAG said:

Also, I don’t think anyone has pointed this out yet, but the Trade Federation guys wouldn’t work either. Anakin killed them in Episode III.

In general, I don’t think reusing old shots for the big finale is a good idea. It seems like a big nostalgic fanservice scene would have to be a decision made during production, and it just isn’t feasible here.

I don’t think he killed the entire species.

He didn’t, but those two are recognizably Nute Gunray and his assistant, and Anakin killed them both.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

I don’t think Din Djarin and Baby Yoda should be there because they’re spinoff content. The focus should be squarely on bringing together all nine episodes of the Saga. As for the Trade Federation, I just didn’t really feel like they were piloting a ship in that shot.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

I don’t think Din Djarin and Baby Yoda should be there because they’re spinoff content. The focus should be squarely on bringing together all nine episodes of the Saga. As for the Trade Federation, I just didn’t really feel like they were piloting a ship in that shot.

I don’t think spin-offs are the problem, it’s more that story is still open. Those are specific characters that have likely ages and possibly died. Other Neimoidians would work, so long as they weren’t recognisably prequel characters, and I imagine they should be on a capital ship of some sort rather than the droid control ships from Phantom Menace (more like the ships from the Clone Wars or Revenge of the Sith).

Author
Time

I still think we missed a grand opportunity in the sequel trilogy. Consider the chaos of the last years of the Republic. Putting things back together after ROTJ would have been deeply frustrating for Leia. She has the Skywalker blood. She lost her home. The war as left a squabbling mass of political intrigue. She could have invented the First Order. To give the Republic something to unite against but eventually the allure of the powers she was using could have corrupted her. Imagine the reveal that it wasn’t Palpatine pulling the strings of Snoke but our beloved princess. Wouldn’t that explain why Luke would lose faith? Especially if she had warped her own son into becoming the new Vader. Rey could just be the Force readdressing the imbalance as it did with Anakin. How the hell someone would edit the material to make this work I don’t know. Perhaps replacing the Smoke model with a cowled figure that could add plot changing exposition. Just imagine Kylo’s face when Snoke says" I am your mother"😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

Sorry, but that’s almost certainly not a good idea, even for a rewrite. A vengeful Leia becoming the new emperor would be even more of a depressing ending than what we got, and it just doesn’t make sense for the character. She got her home planet blown up by the Empire, and now she wants to emulate them?

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Sorry, but that’s almost certainly not a good idea, even for a rewrite. A vengeful Leia becoming the new emperor would be even more of a depressing ending than what we got, and it just doesn’t make sense for the character. She got her home planet blown up by the Empire, and now she wants to emulate them?

Victims often become monsters. Vader could see the potential in her. She choked Jabba. Stood over Lando as Chewie choked him. There is much of Vader in her. The ST is missing a story that needs telling. Anakin was never the fallen hero because we never got to like him. Leia could have given that idea real gravitas. Carrie would have loved being a villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

I still don’t really understand. Choking Jabba was really the only remotely dark thing Leia did, and it was after Jabba was heavily implied to rape her. It wouldn’t fit with Leia’s character at all to be this trilogy’s Palpatine equivalent.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

“Dark Leia,” much like “Dark Luke,” is an incredibly stupid idea. We don’t want to see “evil” versions of the classic heroes.

It’s not as stupid as the one time I saw a prequel rewrite that had Luke and Leia being the product of Vader raping the Padme equivalent.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

I still think we missed a grand opportunity in the sequel trilogy. Consider the chaos of the last years of the Republic. Putting things back together after ROTJ would have been deeply frustrating for Leia. She has the Skywalker blood. She lost her home. The war as left a squabbling mass of political intrigue. She could have invented the First Order. To give the Republic something to unite against but eventually the allure of the powers she was using could have corrupted her. Imagine the reveal that it wasn’t Palpatine pulling the strings of Snoke but our beloved princess. Wouldn’t that explain why Luke would lose faith? Especially if she had warped her own son into becoming the new Vader. Rey could just be the Force readdressing the imbalance as it did with Anakin. How the hell someone would edit the material to make this work I don’t know. Perhaps replacing the Smoke model with a cowled figure that could add plot changing exposition. Just imagine Kylo’s face when Snoke says" I am your mother"😁

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Make Off Topic great again.

Author
Time

Honestly, the basic idea of Leia creating the First Order as something to unite against is good, I just wouldn’t have her stay in charge of them. She gets in over her head hiring local warlords and imperial remnants to unite and when Snoke comes along with a new vision for them she realizes how badly she fucked up.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Honestly, the basic idea of Leia creating the First Order as something to unite against is good, I just wouldn’t have her stay in charge of them. She gets in over her head hiring local warlords and imperial remnants to unite and when Snoke comes along with a new vision for them she realizes how badly she fucked up.

Yeah, that could actually be a nice way to give a tragic note to Leia’s character. I’d imagine something like this:

After the end of the war, Leia was disappointed at the new government’s pacifist direction. She created the First Order to keep the Republic united against a common enemy, but when Snoke rose to power, she realized that she had accidentally created a new Empire. When the Senate found out, she became an exile from the government. She tried to make amends by creating the Resistance, but deep down she’s still ashamed of indirectly turning her son to the dark side.

This would probably fit better in the rewrite thread though.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

I mean that’s not really true though.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

I mean that’s not really true though.

I’d say it’s true in relation to JJ Abrams’ writing.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

I mean that’s not really true though.

I’d say it’s true in relation to JJ Abrams’ writing.

Just because the final product ended up in a certain simplified way doesn’t thought wasn’t put into its development.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

I mean that’s not really true though.

I’d say it’s true in relation to JJ Abrams’ writing.

Just because the final product ended up in a certain simplified way doesn’t thought wasn’t put into its development.

Crazy coincidence that all of JJ Abrams’ films turn out half baked despite the thought he puts in them and his public quotes that he prefers mysteries with no answers…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JakeRyan17 said:

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

DominicCobb said:

idir_hh said:

When fans give the story more thought than the writers.
Sigh

I mean that’s not really true though.

I’d say it’s true in relation to JJ Abrams’ writing.

Just because the final product ended up in a certain simplified way doesn’t thought wasn’t put into its development.

Crazy coincidence that all of JJ Abrams’ films turn out half baked despite the thought he puts in them and his public quotes that he prefers mysteries with no answers…

That’s the thing though, that’s the style of story he prefers so he cuts it down to that. Doesn’t mean the writers “put less though into it than the fans.” We’re talking about people who spent months working full-time jobs just working on the script. You can complain all you want about the end result but don’t make up stuff about the process.