Sign In

The Usual Sequel Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 42

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

This will sound dumb, but what if Starkiller Base isn’t a planet-killer, but an ancient Sith bioweapon to resurrect the dead?

The First Order’s plan in TFA is to bring Palpatine back to life. This explains how he comes back in TROS and avoids “yet another death star”. Although it sounds dumb in concept considering what we have to work with I think it’d tie things very smoothly.

Alternatively, the FO could be destroying the Republic as a mass-sacrifice to enable Palpatine’s return. I remember something like this in SWTOR.

I think it fits well thematically in TFA. Actually I think this is the only way to introduce bringing Palpatine back in the former two sequels without dragging them down.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

I agree. I think there needed to be something more going on with SKB to justify its existence besides a cheap ripoff of an old, failed plot device.

Having it be somehow connected to Palpatine’s return is an interesting idea I would love to executed.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time

Yeah, that is worth thinking about. Nice one!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OutboundFlight said:

This will sound dumb, but what if Starkiller Base isn’t a planet-killer, but an ancient Sith bioweapon to resurrect the dead?

The First Order’s plan in TFA is to bring Palpatine back to life. This explains how he comes back in TROS and avoids “yet another death star”. Although it sounds dumb in concept considering what we have to work with I think it’d tie things very smoothly.

Alternatively, the FO could be destroying the Republic as a mass-sacrifice to enable Palpatine’s return. I remember something like this in SWTOR.

I like where you’re head’s at.
What if the “destruction” of starkiller base causes the destroyers to rise from beneath the surface.
I was thinking that the search for the map to Skywalker could be turned into the search for the wayfinders, thus introducing Palpatine at the end of TFA.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

I’ve been only recently following these threads, so I haven’t catched up in all the ideas.

For those who are going the Ajan Kloss --> Naboo route, how do you think to accomplish it? I’ve already seen the shots Theed and Elder heads in the background and I believe they’re great. What’s next? Name-dropping the planet in a throwaway dialogue? Adding gungans/Naboo starfighters to the Resistance? Has anyone done tried color correction yet?

Maybe the background sound ambience could be changed in some outdoor scenes. Replacing the generic jungle noises for something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-osyA0FiRLc

Greetings!

Author
Time

I’d like to see someone pull off the miracle of making Darth Jar Jar a real thing.

Author
Time

Hey guys! The hobbit’s name is Beaumont Kin! I guess he’s French. Who’m I kidding, we’re just keep calling him the hobbit/Charlie from Lost.

I’d like to see someone pull off the miracle of making Darth Jar Jar a real thing.

While it makes for a fun joke, I’m strongly against Darth Jar Jar being a thing in a non-parodic edit.

What if the “destruction” of starkiller base causes the destroyers to rise from beneath the surface.
I was thinking that the search for the map to Skywalker could be turned into the search for the wayfinders, thus introducing Palpatine at the end of TFA.

So what happens to the entirety of TLJ?

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

So what happens to the entirety of TLJ?

Gone, reduced to atoms.

It could just be deleted from the trilogy anyway given how much JJ cared about it.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anakin Starkiller said:

What if the “destruction” of starkiller base causes the destroyers to rise from beneath the surface
I was thinking that the search for the map to Skywalker could be turned into the search for the wayfinders, thus introducing Palpatine at the end of TFA.

So what happens to the entirety of TLJ?

This would probably works best in a duology edit.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well if you really wanted to get radical.

TFA is about the FO using Starkiller to resurrect Palpatine.

New Ep8 is TROS. Ends with Palpatine winning, destroying the Republic Fleet (instead of nobodies), and Rey escaping to self-exile on the island.

New Ep 9 is a recontexulized TLJ, rotoscoping out Snoke for Palpatine from ROTJ.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mamma mia* that’s a good idea.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Would that recontexualised TLJ include Luke vs Kylo? Cus it seems that would have to go, and have the climax be Rey & redeemed Ben killing Palpatine, followed by an edited Tatooine epilogue with Ben staying there in exile.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Delpheas said:

Would that recontexualised TLJ include Luke vs Kylo? Cus it seems that would have to go, and have the climax be Rey & redeemed Ben killing Palpatine, followed by an edited Tatooine epilogue with Ben staying there in exile.

Yes… I’m unsure about this part. I agree this new TLJ would end best with the Supremacy. Maybe after the two beat the guards, we show the shots of their hands to force-pull an empty Raddus into the Supremacy, turning the Holdo Maneuver into the big finale beat.

Crait I think should be moved to the end of this new TFA. All hope seems lost, Palpatine is back, so they retreat to Crait and appear defeated when Luke shows up (for the first time) and saves the day. He doesn’t die this time, so new-TFA will end with the heroes escaping Crait and Rey going in search of the recently returned Luke.

OR if that makes TFA too long and new Ep 9 too short, you could move Crait to the beginning of Ep 9. Not sure how that’d work though.


Of course, this can all be avoided by just keeping Kylo evil as TLJ implies. He killed Palpatine and will continue on, but Rey will eventually beat him or something. However, I’m personally not a fan of that ending for Ben.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

Mama Mia that’s a good idea.

Actually it’s “Mamma mia”.
If you want stereotypical phrases, do it correctly, haha

Italian faneditor.

EDITS LIST:
CHOSEN ONE - A STAR WARS STORY (3-in-1 prequels).
Personal saga: I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. III - RISE OF THE DARK SIDE. IV - THE SON OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Just look for them in the forum, and PM me for links if interested.

Author
Time

IlFanEditore said:

idir_hh said:

Mama Mia that’s a good idea.

Actually it’s “Mamma mia”.
If you want stereotypical phrases, do it correctly, haha

Grazie😉

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

^Our resident italiano.

Lol. Btw, it’s not like we’re all Super Mario going all over towns singing and shouting. But the hands talking stereotype is totally accurate. 😄

idir_hh said:

Grazie😉

Prego 😉

Italian faneditor.

EDITS LIST:
CHOSEN ONE - A STAR WARS STORY (3-in-1 prequels).
Personal saga: I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. III - RISE OF THE DARK SIDE. IV - THE SON OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Just look for them in the forum, and PM me for links if interested.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OutboundFlight said:

Delpheas said:

Would that recontexualised TLJ include Luke vs Kylo? Cus it seems that would have to go, and have the climax be Rey & redeemed Ben killing Palpatine, followed by an edited Tatooine epilogue with Ben staying there in exile.

Yes… I’m unsure about this part. I agree this new TLJ would end best with the Supremacy. Maybe after the two beat the guards, we show the shots of their hands to force-pull an empty Raddus into the Supremacy, turning the Holdo Maneuver into the big finale beat.

Crait I think should be moved to the end of this new TFA. All hope seems lost, Palpatine is back, so they retreat to Crait and appear defeated when Luke shows up (for the first time) and saves the day. He doesn’t die this time, so new-TFA will end with the heroes escaping Crait and Rey going in search of the recently returned Luke.

OR if that makes TFA too long and new Ep 9 too short, you could move Crait to the beginning of Ep 9. Not sure how that’d work though.


Of course, this can all be avoided by just keeping Kylo evil as TLJ implies. He killed Palpatine and will continue on, but Rey will eventually beat him or something. However, I’m personally not a fan of that ending for Ben.

Further refining the unified trilogy idea…

THE FORCE AWAKENS (DARK FORCE RISING?)
–The crawl defines the First Order as a band of Sith Cultists (not a new Empire)
–The crawl also explains the First Order is searching for an Ancient Sith Bioweapon to bring back the former Empire.
–Begins with Kylo arriving on Exogel. He then gives his “finished what you started” speech with all the cultists chanting, to imply the FO’s plan.
–The “map” in TFA is recontextualized to the Map to Starkiller Base.
–No Snoke whatsoever. Kylo and Hux are in charge.
–Rathar scene cut for pacing.
–Kylo successfully probes Rey’s mind and they are able to find Starkiller.
–Ideally, the Resistance is renamed “The Republic” however I am unsure if this possible without cutting too much.
–The Resistance/Republic attack Starkiller but fail entirely. Han dies, the base fires releasing the fleet from Exogol, and Leia orders an evacuation.
–During Starkiller, use lines from the beginning of TLJ to show Leia wants the team to pull out, while Poe doesn’t and thinks they still have a chance. This way Poe’s decision in TLJ is earned.
–Trim the Rey/Kylo duel: Rey still holds her own but is unlikely to prevail until the Falcon shows up.
–The return of Palpatine initiates R2’s “Emergency Backup” (told through captions) which tell Rey where to find Luke. Rey heads off while the rest of the fleet flees an old rebellion base, Crait.
–Rey finds Luke… only for him to cast the Jedi aside. R2 then gives the “You are my only hope” speech, which triggers the end of the Battle of Crait.
–Cut Finn from the Battle of Crait.
–End with Luke’s inspiring moment against the newly powered First Order. Luke survives and agrees to train Rey, while the Republic retreats for a regrouping against the newly formed Empire.

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (LABRYNITH OF EVIL?)
–Crawl establishes the Republic and reborn Empire are fighting a bloody civil war, while Luke has been training Rey.
–Rotoscope Luke onto Ajan Kloss instead of Leia for Rey’s montage.
–With a bit of cutting and possibly alien dubbing (with captions), the “Plan” is to go to Exogol and eliminate the Empire’s base of operations. To do so, they need to find a Sith Wayfinder.
–Meanwhile, Palpatine’s plan is the same as before. He wants Kylo to give him Rey, though it is unknown yet why. Later on, it is revealed Palpatine wants Rey to replace Kylo, but Rey refuses, so Palps settles for Kylo in Ep 9.
–Kylo isn’t redeemed after the Death Star, instead, he remains alive and is later seen in his ship (footage from TLJ) fighting in the space battle.
–Leia doesn’t die.
–Rey isn’t a Palpatine.
–Movie plays as normal all the way up until the finale, where Palpatine wins. Lando’s fleet becomes the New Republic’s and it is completely wiped out by its explosion. Palpatine successfully takes part of Rey’s force energy or whatever and becomes full. Rey barely escapes.
–Ends with Rey in self-exile on Ach-To.

THE LAST JEDI (THE LAST STAND? THE UNIFYING FORCE?)
–Crawl establishes since Palpatine’s trap last movie, the First Order under his and Kylo’s control rules the galaxy, with Leia’s Resistance barely surviving.
–Luke, now a force ghost (implied death by old age) gives Rey a few lessons (from TLJ), without the cynicism but with the “Jedi must change” angle.
–Honestly keep Canto Bight, as much as I’m not a fan, this movie needs all the runtime it can get.
–Leia dies on the bridge.
–Integrate TROS Luke pep talk with Rey. Rey is inspired and goes to redeem Kylo on the Supremacy. Rey also gets Leia’s purple lightsaber (Anakin’s blue was destroyed on Exogol) for the rest of the movie.
–Rotoscope Snoke for Palpatine from ROTJ. He’s given up tempting Rey at this point but does want Kylo to kill Rey and assume his place as next in line for the dark side throne.
–Possibly get a voice actor for a Palpatine impression of “I see you turning the lightsaber to strike your own true enemy”. Too good a line to lose. The rest can just come straight from ROTJ, though.
–Ben is a full good guy after killing Palpatine. Possibly integrate the Han scene from TROS in as a force vision (not actually happening, he keeps his crossguard saber for the Praetorian duel).
–We get some proper Finn story arc by ending his story with a Phasma fight, rather than it happening midway through and leaving him nothing to do moving forward.
–Rey and Ben work together to force pull the Raddus into the Supremacy after everyone has evacuated, destroying the power structure of the FO and bringing peace back to the galaxy.
–Ending montage of freed planets and Rey and Ben on Tatooine.


WHEW that was a lot, but I think all in all, it flows very well, doesn’t require too much work (the hardest part is rotoscoping Palpatine into TLJ, beyond that, everything is relatively simple), and would make for a strong united trilogy.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

I like this but I think somehow making Snoke make sense for this IX would be far better than reusing the emperor, maybe imply that snoke is the emperor somehow?

reylo?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

A radical change of all 3 films would be to remove the extraneous characters that added nothing to the overall plot. Thus leaving us with the classic 3 plus the new characters that have arcs…which is basically Kylo and Rey.

The war itself could be restructured to be an escalating battle to the climax in 9.

Using the “big moments” as the basis, the storyline can be altered but still workable with the footage.

These would be hard, but feasible with heavy dialogue editing and rotoscoping.

The big battle climaxes are:
Starkiller exploding.
Snoke’s fleet being rammed.
Exogal fleet falling.

The big classic character climaxes:
Han talks to Kylo.
Luke’s force projection.
Leia’s spacewalk.
Leia’s talk with Kylo.

The big new character moments are:
Rey’s self-discovery moments.
Kylo killing Snoke.
Kylo redeeming or dying.

Sadly, Poe, Finn, Rose, Holdo, Lando, Hux and Phasma…they all basically had no character arcs. Poe ALMOST does. He might be saveable, but the others would have to go. Snoke is a total mess, but fixable with the right dialogue with Palpatine.

The big force power moments:
Rey grabbing saber.
Rey’s dark cave visions.
Force healing.

So perhaps there’s a way to restructure all these into a longer more cohesive narrative.

Let’s experiment with Leia.

What if we remove Holdo altogether? Leia is now the main leader of the rebels. We can incorporate her slowly deteriorating body language as a reflection of Kylo’s corruption.

If we restructure the space battles, the footage of Snoke’s ship (which was a beautiful shot) can become part of the entire story’s climax.

So, what if Leia’s big force power reveal is changed slightly. The final battle above Exogal is going badly. Rebel ships are dropping. Leia’s ship takes a massive blow, it starts to drift, she appears to get sucked out…

Now to rework Luke’s footage. We have his force projection meditation and his death. Can this be incorporated into the above final battle? Perhaps he went into exile to go past the physical lightsaber-style fighting and into a new realm. So from his deserted island, he found a way to tap into a larger power that is beyond distance.

So while the battle is raging, we cut to Luke meditating. Ships are dropping. Palpatine has electrocuted everything. Things are lost. Cutting between Leia and Luke shows they are force-contacting each other for the last time as she is about to die.

Things pause in silence, she makes one final force movement, and BOOM. Her damaged ship makes the 1 in a million kamikaze that wipes out the Sith fleet and turns the tide of the final battle.

So instead of the force spacewalk, the footage of her floating off to space is changed to be her final sacrifice. Luke truly learns how to transcend the physical as the Jedi always intended, working together as the final Skywalker family act.

However, we’re not done yet…

Now how can this change Kylo’s arc?

Well, perhaps Leia can be contacting him from the force ghost nether. Han’s ghost could actually be Han: a force projection from Leia herself. Using Leia’s dialogue would make that feasible that she’s bringing Han out for Kylo’s sake.

This is just an example of rearranging existing footage to still have a cohesive narrative. I think there’s many other options, but this is how using TLJ + ROS footage together can make a better climactic end to both Skywalkers.

Next post, tackling villains, so Snoke, Sith, First Order and their general uselessness.

Author
Time

A fellow user on the Redux Ideas Thread said this concept would be near-impossible to implement into The Rise of Skywalker as is, so I feel it is worth sharing here as it seems more “radical” than what is being presented on the other thread.

Fanedit Forums user Gaith suggested that the film open with a funeral for Princess Leia before the opening crawl. This quote comes from the official thread for the movie:

Lucasfilm logo. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”
SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character’s gone, so there’s really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O’Conner.) Fade out.
STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.
In short, Fisher’s passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of “A long time ago”, STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don’t enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin’ fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

A very unique idea that unfortunately wasn’t taken advantage of.

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time

CamSMurph said:

A fellow user on the Redux Ideas Thread said this concept would be near-impossible to implement into The Rise of Skywalker as is, so I feel it is worth sharing here as it seems more “radical” than what is being presented on the other thread.

Fanedit Forums user Gaith suggested that the film open with a funeral for Princess Leia before the opening crawl. This quote comes from the official thread for the movie:

Lucasfilm logo. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”
SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character’s gone, so there’s really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O’Conner.) Fade out.
STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.
In short, Fisher’s passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of “A long time ago”, STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don’t enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin’ fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

A very unique idea that unfortunately wasn’t taken advantage of.

Am I the only one who feels this is too much? Breaking from tradition for a two minute fan service end for Leia? I don’t deny Carrie Fisher was a fantastic person and important character to Star Wars, but it’s not worth completely botching the pacing and traditions. I’d prefer just having the movie dedicated to her in the credits.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

Am I the only one who feels this is too much? Breaking from tradition for a two minute fan service end for Leia? I don’t deny Carrie Fisher was a fantastic person and important character to Star Wars, but it’s not worth completely botching the pacing and traditions. I’d prefer just having the movie dedicated to her in the credits.

+1