Sign In

The Usual Sequel Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 27

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Peter Pan said:

Fun fact regarding force powers:
There has not been a single episode, which has not introduced or teased a new force ability in some way or another.

Really? From my memory Force powers remained mostly stagnant during the prequels. Aside from Force running, which was only used for one scene, there really weren’t any new Force powers in those movies.

I’ve heard people use that argument as a justification for the sequels using the Force as an excuse, but aside from some major changes in ESB and ROTJ there weren’t many new Force powers in the Lucas saga.

TPM: better reflexes and the infamous force-running
AOTC: absorbing force lightning
ROTS: creating life

Technically these were new additions, but I got to agree that apart from “creating life”, which was only mentioned to manipulate Anakin, they felt much more familiar than freezing lasers, force projection or healing and were not highlighted that much like in TLJ or ROS.

“You want to sell me Death sticks” -Obi-Vod Kanobi

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don’t take issue with TROS’s force healing. It understands the Jedi from the OT far more than the PT. They are warriors, yes, but they fight with the intent of peace. Luke only became a true Jedi on the Death Star: Jabba’s Sail Barge was a dark side action.

Force healing is easy to comprehend. An injured character can be healed without the death of the healer, although it drains a lot of their energy, and can’t be done in the middle of a battleground. For fatal wounds, the healer must sacrifice themself.

In TROS, Leia transfers her life-force into Ben, which allows Rey to heal a fatal wound in Ben without her dying. It is Leia who dies in this scene. But on Exogel, there isn’t anyone to help, so Ben makes the ultimate sacrifice to Rey. It’s very poetic and definitely an act of the light side, eliminating wounds and saving the lives of others (NOT yourself).

If we must prove why this works within the larger context of Star Wars…
–Obi-Wan was a young knight who promised his master to train Anakin. He would not sacrifice himself for his master, nor would Qui-Gon have wanted him to.
–Yoda and Obi-Wan were the sole survivors of Order 66, but also some of the strongest Jedi and the most aware of the situation. It would not do to sacrifice themselves and leave a new Jedi left confused and wondering what’s up, only to be shot down.
–Luke was Anakin’s son, so Anakin would not have allowed him to sacrifice himself. Luke had much more to live for.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:
In TROS, Leia transfers her life-force into Ben, which allows Rey to heal a fatal wound in Ben without her dying.

If that was indeed their intention they did a pretty terrible job of conveying it.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, I also didn’t pick that up. Carl Weathers’ character in The Mandalorian had a fatal wound but Baby Yoda was still able to heal him. It’s my opinion, but I think as long as a person is still breathing, a Jedi can heal them from even fatal wounds, but once they’re dead they can’t. That’s it. Ben bringing Rey back to life was an exception made possible by their bond.

The Prequel-era Jedi weren’t able to do heal others because they weren’t aware of the ability at the time, or their ability to use the Force were diminished at that time.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

I don’t necessarily agree with that. I think the idea of draining life and healing it ties in well with the themes of selfishness and selflessness, which are central to the Saga. I think what is unique to the Dyad, though, is the ability of resurrection.

In the prequels, Anakin had a vision that Padmé would die. To him, that meant her dying was inevitable, and he needed a power beyond just healing.

And just because others have not used this ability in the films beforehand doesn’t mean it didn’t exist. Perhaps it was a technique lost and was rediscovered by Rey in the ancient texts. Or, the waning and waxing of the Force’s strength over generations has an effect on people’s ability to perform it.

And regardless if you cut the power out of IX, it won’t change the fact that Baby Yoda uses the power in the Mandalorian. And maybe he can do it because it is a child, and children have been shown to have an innate connection to the Force, just like the Dyad is shown to have in IX.

That’s all fair. I have a problem with the Dyad though - to me it feels like a cheap way to introduce two characters who are extra powerful, which I don’t think is fair game in Star Wars.

And while you’re right that we may just not have seen it during this time period, either we have an awful lot of media where it doesn’t happen onscreen (including where it’s particularly useful), or it’s lost and then remembered, albeit clumsily and relying on errata or assumption.

Definitely a good point on Baby Yoda though - I didn’t have a problem with that although it’s the same issue, I assume because of just how well the Mandalorian show managed to ultimately pull off a lot of similar things to TROS (including ample fanservice which didn’t phase me either). So there is some hypocrisy here. You could justify that as BY using a darkside power ignorantly, but the counterargument to that is that it relies on assumption, which I’ve already shot down.

I’m aware I’m not putting together a compelling argument here - there’s just so much of TROS which absolutely rankles me and combines to this ultimate feeling of it not just being bad but actively doing damage to SW. It’s an uncomfortable position to be in, having loved-tolerated so much of SW in spite of its imperfections for so long.

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

OutboundFlight said:
In TROS, Leia transfers her life-force into Ben, which allows Rey to heal a fatal wound in Ben without her dying.

If that was indeed their intention they did a pretty terrible job of conveying it.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s not what happened. It’s just retroactive fan justification.

I actually think I’d like Force healing if the rules were at all consistent. But the abilities and effects of Force healing vary constantly. Rey heals a wound on the big snake, and doesn’t seem any weaker afterwards. Rey heals Kylo’s fatal wound, and doesn’t seem any weaker there either. But when Ben heals Rey’s magic death, he stays healthy for a few seconds before dying instantly. That’s my main problem with the sequels’ depiction of the Force: It’s just used as an excuse to get out of tough situations, whether it makes sense or not.

My preferred saga experience:
TPM/AOTC/ROTS (Hal 9000), ANH/ESB/ROTJ (Despecialized), The Mandalorian,
TFA (Starlight), TLJ (Fallen Knight), TROS (Resurgence).
May the midichlorians be with you.

Author
Time

That is true, at least with Baby Yoda it clearly took a lot out of him to perform certain abilities. But then again, he is a baby.

Author
Time

The idea that force healing is a dark side power is absurd. It’s a selfless act to help someone else. It’s for peace and restoration, not destruction. Are doctors and nurses tainted by the dark side of the force because they try to “stop people from dying” or “save them from death?”
The example of Ben Solo using it to give up his life to restore Rey’s is even more selfless and self-sacrificial, pretty much the ultimate manifestation of the light.

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I never had a problem with Rey’s using it for two reasons: she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost, and Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

While we are on that scene, I think the way it was originally edited makes the leia contact very confusing to the point that it lowers the dramatic impact of the scene, I would change it so that Kylo gets distracted by her death instead of the call itself, I would also extend the moment Rey and kylo have by having Rey confessing her true feelings about taking “Ben’s” hand before the healing sequence which for me makes it all the more “romantic”? maybe compassionate, it also gives their moment a little more time to breathe.

Original order of scenes:

  • kylo stops mid strike.
  • leia calls out “Ben”.
  • Kylo turns back in shock.
  • Leia lies down while she holds the medal.
  • Kylo drops his lightsaber, Rey catches it mid air and stabs him with it.
  • Leia’s hand drops signalling her death.
  • Rey feels her death through the force, calls out leia’s name in shock.
  • Rey removes the saber from Kylo’s stomach, cries in disbelief
  • Pan to R2D2 with Leia.
  • Rey and kylo have a moment of sadness
  • Rey reaches out to heal kylo’s wound.
  • Healing sequence
  • Rey “I did want to take your hand, Ben’s hand”.
  • Kylo gives her a look of compassion and gratitude.
  • Rey runs off to the Tie fighter.

Re-edited version

  • kylo stops mid strike.
  • leia calls out “Ben”
  • We see her holding Hans’s medal from the trailer.
  • Leia lies down while she holds the medal.
  • leia’s hand drops dead
  • Kylo looks back in shock.
  • Kylo drops his lightsaber, Rey catches it mid air and stabs him with it.
  • Rey feels her death through the force, calls out leia’s name.
  • Rey removes the saber from Kylo’s stomach, cries in disbelief
  • Rey and kylo have a moment of sadness. Cut R2 for better flow.
  • Rey “I did want to take your hand, Ben’s hand”.
  • Rey reaches out to heal kylo’s wound.
  • Healing sequence
  • Kylo gives her a look of compassion and gratitude.
  • Rey runs off to the Tie-fighter.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Vladius said:

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I didn’t know about that. In that case, that’s dumb too.

she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost

I doubt anything could get “lost” in the Jedi archives. They had the largest library of Force knowledge in the galaxy, if Force healing was a valid power they would know about it.

Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Force lightning is a dark side power, she has it because of Palpatine. I doubt Palpatine could use any light side powers.

My preferred saga experience:
TPM/AOTC/ROTS (Hal 9000), ANH/ESB/ROTJ (Despecialized), The Mandalorian,
TFA (Starlight), TLJ (Fallen Knight), TROS (Resurgence).
May the midichlorians be with you.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Peter Pan said:

Fun fact regarding force powers:
There has not been a single episode, which has not introduced or teased a new force ability in some way or another.

IV - mind trick, Force sense, Force voice ghost
V - telekinesis, Force ghost, Force vision, precognition, Force jump, telepathy
VI - Force lightning
I - Force speed (never used again)
II - ??? (being a creep?)
III - cheating death (mentioned only)
VII - mind probe
VIII - Forcetiming, teleprojection
IX - Force healing, teleportation

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I want to switch directions a little and talk about the First Order.

Over the years we have played around with how to portray the faction. Were they a faction hiding in the Unknown Regions, slowly rebuilding and biding their time?

After the whole “Final Order” thing with TROS, this is a route that I feel would work well for the trilogy, and be the least “complicated”.

I think the First Order should be portrayed as a faction that is composed of Imperial Remnants that have banded together under a new leader, Snoke, and funded by sympathizers and industrialists. Maybe the New Republic and the First Order are in a middle of a Cold War, but the Republic is unaware of Starkiller’s existence. And the Resistance is literally that, a resistance movement within First Order space.

After TFA, the First Order begins their invasion of the Republic, but word has yet to spread about Starkiller’s destruction, so most worlds back down under the threat of total destruction. The Resistance is desperate to get the word out and restore hope in a galaxy paralyzed by fear, but their allies either don’t believe them or they’re too afraid to take that chance. The First Order would likely do anything they can to deny it.

But after Luke takes a heroic stand against the First Order and the Resistance continues to fight, hope begins to return to the galaxy as they realize the First Order isn’t a strong as they appear. As the First Order tries to quell these uprisings, their resources slowly begin to dwindle. The First Order is losing.

Now we get into TROS. I personally don’t like the idea of the Final Order. I mean, the idea isn’t necessarily bad, but it so little explored or elaborated on in the film that I don’t think it is worth even keeping.

I think the set up could be more like this: the fleet we see on Exogol is a hidden fleet created by the Emperor during the Galactic Civil War. The Exogol Star Destroyers look like the ISD-Is, which were apparently replaced by the ISD-IIs between ANH and ESB. So maybe the Emperor decommissioned the ISD-Is and sent them to Exogol as a contingency, and between ROTJ and TFA they were modified by the Sith Cult under the command of the undead Emperor. So the Sith Troopers and all that are just new First Order units rather than a part of the “Final Order”, which any mention should be cut from the movie.

So, the crawl could mention that Kylo Ren is searching for a Sith Cult who protect the lost fleet of the Emperor. You could even mention that the Knights of Ren were on a quest to find them, to explain their absence in 7 and 8. Maybe they found a clue to their existence, which is what starts Kylo’s journey in 9. So the Emperor’s survival will not be mentioned in the crawl.

So securing resources is the primary motivation of the First Order, while Kylo’s could be to destroy the last remnants of the Sith, as part of his “let the last die” mantra. This would also have the added benefit of clarifying that the natives Kylo is killing at the beginning of 9 are Sith Cultists, ones who follow Darth Vader in particular.

This is a lot of detail, by I think this could be consolidated well in the crawl. You could simply say Kylo is looking for the source of Snoke’s power, but I think mentioning the fleet (as the Emperor’s lost or secret fleet) would be a clearer way to tie it into the First Order’s motivations and the stakes. I think mentioning the Sith Cult would be beneficial too, if it wouldn’t be too crammed with information.

Just to summarize, I think it would be better to differentiate the First Order from the “secret fleet” that we’re introduced to in Episode 9. So the First Order doesn’t operate extensively in the Unknown Regions, and they’re a more straightforward faction. Whereas the Sith Cult and the hidden fleet are the “hidden faction”, preferably not referred to as “The Final Order”.

EDIT: I like your thoughts about the Rey healing Kylo shot reorder Idir!

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

I don’t take issue with TROS’s force healing. It understands the Jedi from the OT far more than the PT. They are warriors, yes, but they fight with the intent of peace. Luke only became a true Jedi on the Death Star: Jabba’s Sail Barge was a dark side action.

Force healing is easy to comprehend. An injured character can be healed without the death of the healer, although it drains a lot of their energy, and can’t be done in the middle of a battleground. For fatal wounds, the healer must sacrifice themself.

In TROS, Leia transfers her life-force into Ben, which allows Rey to heal a fatal wound in Ben without her dying. It is Leia who dies in this scene. But on Exogel, there isn’t anyone to help, so Ben makes the ultimate sacrifice to Rey. It’s very poetic and definitely an act of the light side, eliminating wounds and saving the lives of others (NOT yourself).

If we must prove why this works within the larger context of Star Wars…
–Obi-Wan was a young knight who promised his master to train Anakin. He would not sacrifice himself for his master, nor would Qui-Gon have wanted him to.
–Yoda and Obi-Wan were the sole survivors of Order 66, but also some of the strongest Jedi and the most aware of the situation. It would not do to sacrifice themselves and leave a new Jedi left confused and wondering what’s up, only to be shot down.
–Luke was Anakin’s son, so Anakin would not have allowed him to sacrifice himself. Luke had much more to live for.

Force healing still undermines the concept of death and kills any tension in future Star Wars movies.

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

I’m curious if it would be possible to substitute Starkiller base in TFA with the fleet of mini Death Star Destroyers in TROS. Perhaps it’s a fleet of Star Destroyers where on their own, they’re very powerful, but all together can destroy planets. Like they took the power of the Death Star and spread it out so it wouldn’t be as easy as destroying ONE weapon to take it down, but the enemy would have to destroy every single star destroyer.

Thus, its as dangerous as the Death Star, without simply being another Death Star, and they are more difficult to destroy, as they’re smaller and the first order has more on standby of one is destroyed.

This way the fleet can be a more constant threat throughout the trilogy. (Maybe Starkiller Base functions more as the hangar where the fleet is kept? Idk I’m just spitballing at this point.)

The destruction of the fleet in TROS can feel like more of an ultimate victory. It took all the reinforcements brought by Lando to finally bring them down.

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

I’m curious if it would be possible to substitute Starkiller base in TFA with the fleet of mini Death Star Destroyers in TROS. Perhaps it’s a fleet of Star Destroyers where on their own, they’re very powerful, but all together can destroy planets. Like they took the power of the Death Star and spread it out so it wouldn’t be as easy as destroying ONE weapon to take it down, but the enemy would have to destroy every single star destroyer.

Thus, its as dangerous as the Death Star, without simply being another Death Star, and they are more difficult to destroy, as they’re smaller and the first order has more on standby of one is destroyed.

This way the fleet can be a more constant threat throughout the trilogy. (Maybe Starkiller Base functions more as the hangar where the fleet is kept? Idk I’m just spitballing at this point.)

The destruction of the fleet in TROS can feel like more of an ultimate victory. It took all the reinforcements brought by Lando to finally bring them down.

This is what I’ve been saying since TFA came out. Make them planet-destroying star destroyers. The dreadnoughts in TLJ and Sith fleet in TRoS only further validate this idea.

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I didn’t know about that. In that case, that’s dumb too.

she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost

I doubt anything could get “lost” in the Jedi archives. They had the largest library of Force knowledge in the galaxy, if Force healing was a valid power they would know about it.

Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Force lightning is a dark side power, she has it because of Palpatine. I doubt Palpatine could use any light side powers.

That’s exactly what the librarian says in Episode 2, “if an item doesn’t show up in our records, it doesn’t exist.” I thought it was well understood that that was a manifestation of arrogance on the Jedi’s part. The Jedi archives in the prequels were all digital records and the original Jedi texts in the sequels are the only old fashioned books to ever appear in the series. Something could have been lost; Luke had to “go looking” for the first Jedi temple so the books could have been the same way.

Hypothetically Palpatine could if he chose to. That’s what I like about Rey having it, it shows that Palpatine could have used his powers for good but decided to be evil.

Author
Time

Vladius said:

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I didn’t know about that. In that case, that’s dumb too.

she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost

I doubt anything could get “lost” in the Jedi archives. They had the largest library of Force knowledge in the galaxy, if Force healing was a valid power they would know about it.

Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Force lightning is a dark side power, she has it because of Palpatine. I doubt Palpatine could use any light side powers.

That’s exactly what the librarian says in Episode 2, “if an item doesn’t show up in our records, it doesn’t exist.” I thought it was well understood that that was a manifestation of arrogance on the Jedi’s part. The Jedi archives in the prequels were all digital records and the original Jedi texts in the sequels are the only old fashioned books to ever appear in the series. Something could have been lost; Luke had to “go looking” for the first Jedi temple so the books could have been the same way.

The files on Kamino were lost because Dooku deleted them, not because they were accidentally deleted by some clueless librarian. The Jedi Archives on Coruscant contained hundreds of times more info than the Jedi Texts on Ach-To, there’s no way the Jedi wouldn’t know about Force healing.

Hypothetically Palpatine could if he chose to. That’s what I like about Rey having it, it shows that Palpatine could have used his powers for good but decided to be evil.

It’s impossible to use the dark side for good. Lucas’ depiction of the Force was very binary, there’s no in-between. All these post-modern interpretations of the Force have nothing to do with how it was depicted in the Lucas saga.
But we’re getting off-topic here.

My preferred saga experience:
TPM/AOTC/ROTS (Hal 9000), ANH/ESB/ROTJ (Despecialized), The Mandalorian,
TFA (Starlight), TLJ (Fallen Knight), TROS (Resurgence).
May the midichlorians be with you.

Author
Time

FreezingTNT2 said:

OutboundFlight said:

I don’t take issue with TROS’s force healing. It understands the Jedi from the OT far more than the PT. They are warriors, yes, but they fight with the intent of peace. Luke only became a true Jedi on the Death Star: Jabba’s Sail Barge was a dark side action.

Force healing is easy to comprehend. An injured character can be healed without the death of the healer, although it drains a lot of their energy, and can’t be done in the middle of a battleground. For fatal wounds, the healer must sacrifice themself.

In TROS, Leia transfers her life-force into Ben, which allows Rey to heal a fatal wound in Ben without her dying. It is Leia who dies in this scene. But on Exogel, there isn’t anyone to help, so Ben makes the ultimate sacrifice to Rey. It’s very poetic and definitely an act of the light side, eliminating wounds and saving the lives of others (NOT yourself).

If we must prove why this works within the larger context of Star Wars…
–Obi-Wan was a young knight who promised his master to train Anakin. He would not sacrifice himself for his master, nor would Qui-Gon have wanted him to.
–Yoda and Obi-Wan were the sole survivors of Order 66, but also some of the strongest Jedi and the most aware of the situation. It would not do to sacrifice themselves and leave a new Jedi left confused and wondering what’s up, only to be shot down.
–Luke was Anakin’s son, so Anakin would not have allowed him to sacrifice himself. Luke had much more to live for.

Force healing still undermines the concept of death and kills any tension in future Star Wars movies.

Not really. Look at my examples. All scenarios where force healing isn’t an option.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

3 in 1 edit.

Get rid of Rathtars. Han and Chewie immediately take Rey and Finn to Maz.
First Order shows up, Rey captured quickly.
Han moment, minimal effort to blow up the base.
Rey shows up - instead of handing off the light saber, Chewie immediately throws door off - Luke ask where Han is.
Make Luke only doubt himself, not the Jedi.
Give Rey all 3 trainings - show Luke getting back to himself. Imply he’s training her to go back and save them.
No Canto Bight. Finn is Zapped and out of it for part of the middle.
When Rey and Kylo kill Snoke, immediately trigger the transmission from Palpatine.
Kylo leaves Crait to immediately find the way finder. Add an echoing “Come find me” in the back of some Kylo scenes.
Maybe add a Vader Communing part to the Last Jedi portion.
Right after “They’ve got Chewie”, we move to the sinking sands. No Kylo.
No Knights of Ren except the final battle.
3P0 can’t translate, but Babu Frick is able to get the info. No memory wipe.
Cut Zorri if possible.

Preferred Saga:
PT: Hal9000
4/5: Adywan
6: NSP
7/8: Hal9000

Author
Time

How 'bout at the end of TLJ, instead of taking the throne, Kylo goes rogue and Pryde becomes Supreme Leader. Not sure what it would add, but it’d be different. Kylo going rogue Zuko style was what I envisioned him doing before we had the full trilogy, and I still think it’d be kinda neat. Maybe he takes the post of Supreme Leader initially but abandons it and the First Order altogether after the Battle of Crait?

Author
Time

nightstalkerpoet said:

3 in 1 edit.

Get rid of Rathtars. Han and Chewie immediately take Rey and Finn to Maz.
First Order shows up, Rey captured quickly.
Han moment, minimal effort to blow up the base.
Rey shows up - instead of handing off the light saber, Chewie immediately throws door off - Luke ask where Han is.
Make Luke only doubt himself, not the Jedi.
Give Rey all 3 trainings - show Luke getting back to himself. Imply he’s training her to go back and save them.
No Canto Bight. Finn is Zapped and out of it for part of the middle.
When Rey and Kylo kill Snoke, immediately trigger the transmission from Palpatine.
Kylo leaves Crait to immediately find the way finder. Add an echoing “Come find me” in the back of some Kylo scenes.
Maybe add a Vader Communing part to the Last Jedi portion.
Right after “They’ve got Chewie”, we move to the sinking sands. No Kylo.
No Knights of Ren except the final battle.
3P0 can’t translate, but Babu Frick is able to get the info. No memory wipe.
Cut Zorri if possible.

I like this a lot. How long would it be?

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I didn’t know about that. In that case, that’s dumb too.

she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost

I doubt anything could get “lost” in the Jedi archives. They had the largest library of Force knowledge in the galaxy, if Force healing was a valid power they would know about it.

Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Force lightning is a dark side power, she has it because of Palpatine. I doubt Palpatine could use any light side powers.

That’s exactly what the librarian says in Episode 2, “if an item doesn’t show up in our records, it doesn’t exist.” I thought it was well understood that that was a manifestation of arrogance on the Jedi’s part. The Jedi archives in the prequels were all digital records and the original Jedi texts in the sequels are the only old fashioned books to ever appear in the series. Something could have been lost; Luke had to “go looking” for the first Jedi temple so the books could have been the same way.

The files on Kamino were lost because Dooku deleted them, not because they were accidentally deleted by some clueless librarian. The Jedi Archives on Coruscant contained hundreds of times more info than the Jedi Texts on Ach-To, there’s no way the Jedi wouldn’t know about Force healing.

Hypothetically Palpatine could if he chose to. That’s what I like about Rey having it, it shows that Palpatine could have used his powers for good but decided to be evil.

It’s impossible to use the dark side for good. Lucas’ depiction of the Force was very binary, there’s no in-between. All these post-modern interpretations of the Force have nothing to do with how it was depicted in the Lucas saga.
But we’re getting off-topic here.

Right, Dooku deleted the files, but there’s nothing confirming that the archives are complete, we only have to take them at their word. Dooku deleting the files in the first place shows that their reasoning is flawed.

There’s nothing postmodern about it. I mean that Palpatine had the potential within himself to use force healing or other compassionate abilities as Rey did, but his path down the dark side essentially cut him off from it. Rey is still conflicted and learning about the Force so she instinctively uses force lightning or healing depending on her emotional state.

How is this off topic?

Author
Time

Vladius said:

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

StarkillerAG said:

Vladius said:

Not that it’s canon anymore but the Legends continuity clearly established it as a definitive light side power and had Jedi that were dedicated healers, but no one complained about it then.

I didn’t know about that. In that case, that’s dumb too.

she studied the ancient Jedi texts which might have included techniques and things that were lost

I doubt anything could get “lost” in the Jedi archives. They had the largest library of Force knowledge in the galaxy, if Force healing was a valid power they would know about it.

Rey was able to manifest powers like force lightning instinctively because of who she was, so it makes sense that she’d have the other side of the coin.

Force lightning is a dark side power, she has it because of Palpatine. I doubt Palpatine could use any light side powers.

That’s exactly what the librarian says in Episode 2, “if an item doesn’t show up in our records, it doesn’t exist.” I thought it was well understood that that was a manifestation of arrogance on the Jedi’s part. The Jedi archives in the prequels were all digital records and the original Jedi texts in the sequels are the only old fashioned books to ever appear in the series. Something could have been lost; Luke had to “go looking” for the first Jedi temple so the books could have been the same way.

The files on Kamino were lost because Dooku deleted them, not because they were accidentally deleted by some clueless librarian. The Jedi Archives on Coruscant contained hundreds of times more info than the Jedi Texts on Ach-To, there’s no way the Jedi wouldn’t know about Force healing.

Hypothetically Palpatine could if he chose to. That’s what I like about Rey having it, it shows that Palpatine could have used his powers for good but decided to be evil.

It’s impossible to use the dark side for good. Lucas’ depiction of the Force was very binary, there’s no in-between. All these post-modern interpretations of the Force have nothing to do with how it was depicted in the Lucas saga.
But we’re getting off-topic here.

How is this off topic?

Because this conversation doesn’t have anything to do with fan edits. The first post explicitly states that any discussion which would go better in General Star Wars Discussion is off topic in this thread.

My preferred saga experience:
TPM/AOTC/ROTS (Hal 9000), ANH/ESB/ROTJ (Despecialized), The Mandalorian,
TFA (Starlight), TLJ (Fallen Knight), TROS (Resurgence).
May the midichlorians be with you.

Author
Time

What if aboard the Supremacy, the heroes pass by evidence of internal division. There’s stromtrooper with stormtrooper prisoners, graffiti honoring Finn, etc…

Author
Time

I had mentioned this before, but a way to get that idea across might be to reinsert the deleted scene of Finn’s elevator encounter with the stromtroopers, but redub the one that speaks with Finn. Maybe the stormtrooper actually recognizes Finn, but they let him go as sort of a passive act of defiance. All you would need is a voice actor, and no new vfx would be necessary.