Sign In

The Unpopular Film, TV, Music, Art, Books, Comics, Games, & Technology Opinion Thread (for all you contrarians!) — Page 4

Author
Time

Most people agree with you that PoA is the best, although I’m not sure why. It’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but the cold colors and questionable use of the uniforms really rubs me the wrong way. I also don’t see what elements plotwise raise it above the others in people’s eyes. People also seem to rate Deathly Hallows really high and the Columbus films really low which just seems so backwards to me.

But now looking through a ranking thread on r/movies, there seem be a lot of people actually putting the Columbus films right below Cuaron’s, while the bottom tends to be a Yates film (although tbf, he directed half of them, so it’s statistically likely). The people there also seem to dislike GoF for some reason. It seems to be in the bottom three of most people’s rankings, which is strange cuz I thought it was mostly pretty strong. Granted, it’s plot is based around an enormous gaping plothole, and the tournament feels like a lame excuse for action scenes, but it’s certainly more interesting then what came after it. DHP2 seems to perform relatively well, if only by virtue of being the finale. Personally, I felt the execution left much to be desired.

Author
Time

LeperMessiah117 said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

In response to the previous post, I think Batman Returns is a masterpiece whereas '89 is forgettable and took away everything that made the Joker interesting.

Yeah, you aren’t the first to tell me I’m wrong about those Batman films. To each their own, 'suppose.

Nah, you’re both wrong. 😉 Batman '89 and Batman Returns are both masterpieces. Also I agree about Lynch’s Dune, and while Temple of Doom isn’t my favorite Indy film, it definitely gets undeserving hate.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Red Tails had exciting action and didn’t deserve to get shit on, everyone had a hate boner for anything touched by George and he was just trying to give a role model to kids, in general I think Lucas is misunderstood a lot this way where he’ll make a movie for young children and get trashed by a young adult audience it wasn’t made for.

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” - DV

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Most people agree with you that PoA is the best, although I’m not sure why. It’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but the cold colors and questionable use of the uniforms really rubs me the wrong way. I also don’t see what elements plotwise raise it above the others in people’s eyes. People also seem to rate Deathly Hallows really high and the Columbus films really low which just seems so backwards to me.

But now looking through a ranking thread on r/movies, there seem be a lot of people actually putting the Columbus films right below Cuaron’s, while the bottom tends to be a Yates film (although tbf, he directed half of them, so it’s statistically likely). The people there also seem to dislike GoF for some reason. It seems to be in the bottom three of most people’s rankings, which is strange cuz I thought it was mostly pretty strong. Granted, it’s plot is based around an enormous gaping plothole, and the tournament feels like a lame excuse for action scenes, but it’s certainly more interesting then what came after it. DHP2 seems to perform relatively well, if only by virtue of being the finale. Personally, I felt the execution left much to be desired.

I don’t know why GoF is rated so low. I personally find it to be the best adaptation of a HP book, besides Harry Potter sports long hair, and I’ve always been of the opinion that there is nothing cooler than a guy with long hair.

I also enjoy Half-blood Prince quite a lot, mostly because it has a very British feel to it, although I take issue with the movie being so dark you can’t make out what’s going on.

Author
Time

The hair is very much director dependant, and Newell seems to have a thing for long hair, because everyone’s hair has gone back to the 70s in his film.

I have edits that fix the colors. I may have gone too far in some places, though. Definitely gonna revisit them someday.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nothing But Trouble is under appreciated in terms of set design, world building, and effects work. It’s not funny and is proof of why Dan Ackroyd needs people to filter and condense his scripts, but it’s a visual treat for the most part. Give it another set of eyes on the script or another director, it could be a surrealist classic.

Author
Time

Dunking on the later Potter films isn’t unpopular at all. It’s widely accepted that the series peaked with 3.

However, though 3 is definitely a favorite of mine, I consider The Half Blood Prince to be just as good for completely different reasons. This is the rare time where I genuinely enjoy the dark, murky, and at times sickeningly green/brown color palette because it is appropriate for the darkness of the story being told. The Half Blood Prince isn’t supposed to be pleasant. However, there is a stark filigree beauty in the almost monochrome depiction of the Hogwarts castle and the exquisite details of the crystal cave. It evokes repulsion and enchantment in equal measure, and it is alone among Potter films in this regard.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

Speaking from my experience regrading it, it can actually look quite beautiful in some scenes if you increase the brightness and contrast. The murky brown becomes a pastel gold.

Author
Time

Even though she is best known as a sex symbol, and if I’m allowed some hyperbole, one of the most attractive women in the history of mankind, I think Christina Hendricks is a genuinely talented and underrated actress. Since Mad Men she’s done mostly bit parts and supporting roles, which is a damn shame.

Author
Time

The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut look better in 1.33:1 than they do in 1.78:1.

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut look better in 1.33:1 than they do in 1.78:1.

My only issue with The Shining in 1.33:1 is the visible helicopter shadow in the film’s opening. Then again, the overhead helicopter rotor is visible in the last shot of the opening on the blu-ray version. But I, too, enjoy those films in “full-frame” format.

Author
Time

Paul Thomas Anderson’s movies are consistently showered in praise and he’s considered one of the best filmmakers of his generation, however I don’t get the hype.

I’ve seen most of his movies and found them to be the definition of boring, yet several movie critics and fans seem to have a massive hard-on for them. The Master is the only one of his movies I can watch and not so much because I think it’s a good movie, but because it was shot on 70mm film and I enjoy the look of the movie, it’s total eye candy.

The one thing I do respect about him is that he’s one of the few movie director who still shoots on film stock.

Author
Time

Considering Punch Drunk Love was the only decent movie I saw in my last film studies class, I’m willing to give him a pass for now, although I’m not exactly gonna praise him.

Author
Time

I tried very hard not to fall asleep watching Punch Drunk Love, and once the credits started rolling I felt like I wasted two hours of my life.

Author
Time

fmalover said:

I tried very hard not to fall asleep watching Punch Drunk Love, and once the credits started rolling I felt like I wasted two hours of my life.

To put it in perspective, one of the other movies was Paterson. Literally nothing happens. Even worse was The Rider from an earlier semester. It’s genuinely the single worst movie I have ever seen. No entertainment value whatsoever.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I really liked There Will Be Blood, but that’s due to Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance more than anything else. A lesser actor in the role and I probably wouldn’t even remember it.

I watched that movie based on all the excellent reviews and was bored to death by that movie. Absolutely nothing happens, and Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance was over the top.

Since this is the unpopular opinion thread I think it’s appropriate for me to add that I also think Daniel Day-Lewis is an overrated actor.

Author
Time

Chase Adams said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Tim Burton is better than the Mel Stuart 1971 version.

I don’t need to explain myself.

I think you should. This may be the unpopular opinion thread, but that’s like, sacrilege.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Dek Rollins said:

I think you should. This may be the unpopular opinion thread, but that’s like, sacrilege.

I don’t need to. This is an unpopular opinion thread. If you can’t accept it, this isn’t the place for you.

Also,

Chase Adams said:

  1. …if you don’t agree with something, don’t bring it up! Internalise the pain!

People should be able to use this thread without having to hear complaining about the things they say, so long as everybody follows the rules, you can say whatever you want.

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Chase Adams said:

Dek Rollins said:

I think you should. This may be the unpopular opinion thread, but that’s like, sacrilege.

I don’t need to. This is an unpopular opinion thread. If you can’t accept it, this isn’t the place for you.

Also,

Chase Adams said:

  1. …if you don’t agree with something, don’t bring it up! Internalise the pain!

People should be able to use this thread without having to hear complaining about the things they say, so long as everybody follows the rules, you can say whatever you want.

I see. I thought this was a discussion forum where people can discuss topics in order to understand alternative points of view. I get that you don’t want a thread about this subject to devolve into petty arguments, but when you post an extremely unpopular opinion (per the topic) and then specifically state that it needs no explanation, you are fully aware that you’re inviting the desire for an explanation.

EDIT: It’s worth noting that my post requesting said explanation was meant to be lighthearted, and was not intended to be malicious in any way.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Chase Adams said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Tim Burton is better than the Mel Stuart 1971 version.
I don’t need to explain myself.

It was inevitable that at some point an opinion would come in so hot that it would get smoke in some eyes.
It was also inevitable that at some point an opinion would come in so absolutely foul that a reputation would be ruined.
Friends, I think we have both here.
A moment of silence, please.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea