Sign In

The Unpopular Film, TV, Music, Art, Books, Comics, Games, & Technology Opinion Thread (for all you contrarians!) — Page 22

Author
Time

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is essentially the same story as Dune, but better.

Author
Time

I’ve never thought of it like that, but you’re right.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

For all its hype 2001 A Space Odyssey is imo inferior to Interstellar

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Star Wars has 3 eras:The eras are 1977-1983(pre Expanded Universe), (1983-2014) expanded universe or (2014- now) Disney bought version. Each are valid.

Important voice tool:
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1472151/action/topic#1472151

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Northman didn’t do much for me. The whole while the movie was playing, all I could think of was this quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYOqoBj_Wc

The protagonist being an unrepentant murderous slaver didn’t help any, either.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I enjoyed season 1 of Picard except for the unoriginal Mass Effect plot, and him dying and becoming a robot. Season 2 on the other hand is really bad fanfiction. I have no idea how they thought this was a good story or worth 10 episodes to tell. The only good is the actresses ability to overcome the bad plot they’ve been given. And the female roles all shine and are wonderful. But Picard is a jumbled mess and basically unrecognizable. And its the furthest thing from Star Trek, that is why i call it fanfiction its decent as any other show but it isn’t Star Trek.

Author
Time

Everything becomes fanfiction if it’s popular enough. No exceptions.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Superweapon VII said:

Everything becomes fanfiction if it’s popular enough. No exceptions.

For a second I thought you meant every popular work IS a fanfiction.

Oh BTW that avatar is magnificent.

Just some guy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Spuffure said:

Oh BTW that avatar is magnificent.

Felt appropriate to give such a crappy character such a crappy hairstyle.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Superweapon VII said:

Spuffure said:

Oh BTW that avatar is magnificent.

Felt appropriate to give such a crappy character such a crappy hairstyle.

1,000% disagree. Anakin is a great character and his story is an incredibly tragic one.

I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

Star Wars has 3 eras:The eras are 1977-1983(pre Expanded Universe), (1983-2014) expanded universe or (2014- now) Disney bought version. Each are valid.

Important voice tool:
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1472151/action/topic#1472151

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JackNapier said:

Superweapon VII said:

Spuffure said:

Oh BTW that avatar is magnificent.

Felt appropriate to give such a crappy character such a crappy hairstyle.

1,000% disagree. Anakin is a great character and his story is an incredibly tragic one.

The only thing I found tragic was Lucas’ filmmaking. But different strokes and all that jazz.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think the Starfleet uniforms in TOS look like ass. My initial thought was they bought primary-coloured sweaters in bulk, slapped patches on the breasts, and called it a day; that’s how cheap they look to me.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are both overrated. They are both really good but I still think the universal praise they get is undeserved.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

Speaking of overrated shows, I just started watching the first episode of Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Most of the jokes are silly rather than funny. I just don’t get surreal humour. To me it feels like it goes into r/iamveryrandom territory. I much prefer Fawlty Towers as its humour is more “structured” if you catch my drift.

Just some guy.

Author
Time

Spuffure said:

Speaking of overrated shows, I just started watching the first episode of Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Most of the jokes are silly rather than funny. I just don’t get surreal humour. To me it feels like it goes into r/iamveryrandom territory. I much prefer Fawlty Towers as its humour is more “structured” if you catch my drift.

It’s very English and very half a century old. If you’re not into non-sensical humour, you won’t get it I think.

very silly indeed

Han: Hey Lando! You kept your promise, right? Not a scratch?
Lando: Well, what’s left of her isn’t scratched. All the scratched parts got knocked off along the way.
Han (exasperated): Knocked off?!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I love Monty Python’s Flying Circus. The movies, not as much. Their humour works best for me in the half-hour format, I suppose.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Superweapon VII said:

I love Monty Python’s Flying Circus. The movies, not as much. Their humour works best for me in the half-hour format, I suppose.

I actually like the show a bit more than the movies.

Just some guy.

Author
Time

In my opinion slapstick works best when it’s something unrealistic happening in a realistic setting.

Cartoon slapstick doesn’t really work because the situation is already unrealistic, so stuff like that would be expected and blend in too much with the cartoon setting.

Live action slapstick on the other hand, can be knee-slap worthy because of something unrealistic happening in a realistic setting.

(I remember a year ago I said slapstick wasn’t funny at all. Well my opinion has certainly changed.)

Just some guy.

Author
Time

The Hobbit trilogy was one of the most disappointing film trilogies ever. I think Martin Freeman was a great choice for Bilbo but the overreliance on greenscreen and cgi and not shooting on film, rushed production destroyed those movies. I sort of grudgingly enjoy the first two the third was a disaster. They are up there with the Star Wars prequels and sequels as depressingly disappointing when they could have been amazing.

Author
Time

JadedSkywalker said:

The Hobbit trilogy was one of the most disappointing film trilogies ever. I think Martin Freeman was a great choice for Bilbo but the overreliance on greenscreen and cgi and not shooting on film, rushed production destroyed those movies. I sort of grudgingly enjoy the first two the third was a disaster. They are up there with the Star Wars prequels and sequels as depressingly disappointing when they could have been amazing.

I don’t see this as an unpopular opinion.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

CloakedDragon97 said:

JadedSkywalker said:

The Hobbit trilogy was one of the most disappointing film trilogies ever. I think Martin Freeman was a great choice for Bilbo but the overreliance on greenscreen and cgi and not shooting on film, rushed production destroyed those movies. I sort of grudgingly enjoy the first two the third was a disaster. They are up there with the Star Wars prequels and sequels as depressingly disappointing when they could have been amazing.

I don’t see this as an unpopular opinion.

This.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Online friendships can be just as valid and rewarding as real-life in person friendships.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Vampires combusting in sunlight’s one of my least favourite tropes in vampire lore. I don’t begrudge Nosferatu for introducing it, but it’s become grossly overused in the decades since.

Also dislike the common “patchwork corpse” approach towards Frankenstein’s Monster. Shelley never actually describes how the creature was made in her novel; there’s evidence he may’ve been closer to a homunculus than a scientific zombie. That’s all beside the point, though. The physical description of the monster in the book is striking in-and-of itself and would translate well to screen; it’s criminal how few filmmakers have even made a cursory attempt.

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth — penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell

Author
Time

Superweapon VII said:

Vampires combusting in sunlight’s one of my least favourite tropes in vampire lore. I don’t begrudge Nosferatu for introducing it, but it’s become grossly overused in the decades since.

I can remember Interview with the Vampire and Let the Right One In, which were both very effective in terms of drama and not just “defeating the boss.” I’m curious where else is this depicted? I do recall many vampire movies that merely show them avoiding sunlight, and Coppola’s Dracula literally dismisses the idea. Haven’t seen any of the Hammer movies.

Author
Time

It’s the classic films shot on 35mm or 70mm, and not the newest blockbusters that make 4K Ultra HD worth owning. Classics such as The Red Shoes (1948), Casablanca (1942), The Thing (1982) and Singin’ in the Rain (1952) often have big improvements over the 1080p versions, while the newest blockbusters often show little improvement over 1080p.