Sign In

The Unpopular Film, TV, Music, Art, Books, Comics, Games, & Technology Opinion Thread (for all you contrarians!) — Page 16

Author
Time

E.T. on Atari 2600 is merely average, not terrible. There are far worse games on Atari 2600, such as Karate or Custer’s Revenge.

Author
Time

The Triple-A game industry shouldn’t increase prices of games during a global pandemic where people have less cash.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There is no greatest [blank] of all time. Shawshank and Godfather are great in what they do, but there are films better in some way or another.

Freddie Mercury, while certainly a legend and a superb singer, likely had some singers better than him. Hell, he didn’t consider himself the GOAT, rather Montserrat Caballe, whom not many people know of.

The Beatles were pioneers and amazing, but not the best band. Other successors did what the Beatles did better.

Every media can be good, great, or superb, but there is no best.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

CourtlyHades296 said:

E.T. on Atari 2600 is merely average, not terrible. There are far worse games on Atari 2600, such as Karate or Custer’s Revenge.

Karate is more than a train-wreck; it destroyed the entire station.

Author
Time

Revenge of the Sith is overrated. The point of the film was to show Anakin’s fall, but it was handled very poorly. Anakin murdering younglings makes his redemption implausible.

Author
Time

Yes, hello, is this where I talk about my belief that Super Mario Bros (1993) is the greatest movie ever made?

Okay, maybe greatest ever made is an exaggeration, it does admittedly have some classic 3rd act problems, BUT it is my personal favorite movie.

People will point out that it in no way resembles the Super Mario video games, to which I say: so what! I love the Mario games, that’s why I play them. There’s no way any movie could capture the joy of the games, because it’s a movie. As the tagline to the film says: This Ain’t No Game. The movie does have some incredible merits in it’s own right, such as:

-Bob Hoskins’ charisma melts off the screen
-He and John Leguizamo have legitimately infectious chemistry, you can see the love between these two
-Breathtaking set design, creating a cyberpunk dystopia every bit as impressive as Blade Runner
-I mean, my god, just look at that gorgeous tracking shot as Bertha enters the Boom Boom Bar
-Speaking of which, Big Bertha in this movie is incredible, inspired choices, inspired performance
-Sure the goombas and yoshi look nothing like their in game counterparts, but they fit the aesthetic of the film, are scary as hell, and are genuinely some of the most sophisticated animatronic puppets you’ll see on screen (if you don’t believe me, watch again, and REALLY look at Yoshi. The tech is impressive as all get out)
-The costumes! Look at any one of Lena’s dresses and tell me she couldn’t go toe to toe with Padme any day. Not to mention Bertha and Daisy’s dresses, the s&m cop uniforms, or the incredible goomba jackets
-I’ve made it this far without even talking about Dennis Hopper, Samantha Mathis, Richard Edsel, and Fisher Stevens all of whom bring rich depth to their characters
-And a Lance Henrikson cameo too??
-the fungus! Yes it looks disgusting, yes I love that! It provokes a visceral reaction other fx designers can only dream of

Obi Wan x Dex Jettster, the only true ship

Author
Time

Alien 3 sucks but i doubt that is a controversial or unpopular opinion. Aliens is also so vastly overrated its incredible. Alien is a better film in nearly every way. Its real science fiction, its a thriller, its horror. Its not a schlocky action flick.

Author
Time

JadedSkywalker said:

Alien 3 sucks but i doubt that is a controversial or unpopular opinion. Aliens is also so vastly overrated its incredible. Alien is a better film in nearly every way. Its real science fiction, its a thriller, its horror. Its not a schlocky action flick.

I agree. Everywhere I look Aliens is praised as one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, like it’s some sort of high art, but I find to be a pretty generic movie where a handful of marines go up against a swarm of giant dumb bugs led by an even bigger less dumb bug, and the ending is pretty much the same as in the first movie, only more bombastic.

Frankly all the praise the movie gets baffles me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DVDs are superior to online streaming for a number of reasons:

  1. You own it in a way.

  2. If you have a region free player you don’t have to worry about geo-blocking.

  3. You don’t have to worry about the film being removed from the streaming library.

  4. You get special features on DVDs.

  5. It’s offline, so you don’t need to be reliant on the internet.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Spuffure said:

DVDs are superior to online streaming for a number of reasons:

  1. You own it in a way.

  2. If you have a region free player you don’t have to worry about geo-blocking.

  3. You don’t have to worry about the film being removed from the streaming library.

  4. You get special features on DVDs.

  5. It’s offline, so you don’t need to be reliant on the internet.

I have over 600 physical movie/TV releases across 6 formats (8mm/VHS/Laserdisc/DVD/Blu-Ray/4K) and 103 years of cinema history (ranging from 1916’s Intolerance to 2019’s Doctor Sleep) because I don’t trust the studios to keep original versions of films or controversial titles on streaming services.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In my personal opinion, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a very overrated movie. So many people say it is a masterpiece of a film. I personally think it’s just okay. The cinematography and especially the visual effects are very ahead of its time. But the movie has one big flaw. It is so slow. For some reason it doesn’t bother me when the LOTR movies have similar pacing though. Also, I think that the best Kubrick film is a tie between Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange. They just feel more visually unique compared to 2001. The stories for both movies interest me more.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

CloakedDragon97 said:

In my personal opinion, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a very overrated movie. So many people say it is a masterpiece of a film. I personally think it’s just okay. The cinematography and especially the visual effects are very ahead of its time. But the movie has one big flaw. It is so slow. For some reason it doesn’t bother me when the LOTR movies have similar pacing though. Also, I think that the best Kubrick film is a tie between Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange. They just feel more visually unique compared to 2001. The stories for both movies interest me more.

I think people often mistake 2001 for being slower than it really is, granted it’s still a long movie and a slow burn, you’re entitled to your opinion but I seriously suggest a second look, more is going on than at first glance.

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” - DV

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Spuffure said:

DVDs are superior to online streaming for a number of reasons:

  1. You own it in a way.

  2. If you have a region free player you don’t have to worry about geo-blocking.

  3. You don’t have to worry about the film being removed from the streaming library.

  4. You get special features on DVDs.

  5. It’s offline, so you don’t need to be reliant on the internet.

I have over 600 physical movie/TV releases across 6 formats (8mm/VHS/Laserdisc/DVD/Blu-Ray/4K) and 103 years of cinema history (ranging from 1916’s Intolerance to 2019’s Doctor Sleep) because I don’t trust the studios to keep original versions of films or controversial titles on streaming services.

This. I believe the one of the biggest problems with streaming services at the moment (and what made me turn away from it) is that in many countries the selection of media is measly, Netflix in Australia being an infamous example.

Until then, DVDs FTW.