Originally posted by: Darth-Adroit Originally posted by: Bossk
Originally posted by: jimbo
When people put up Christmas decorations before Halloween
It is annoying, but I’m ok with it for two reasons:
1. Christ’s birthday was actually around Labor Day so celebrating it in October is closer to historical accuracy than December.
2. Paul said in Galatians 4:10-11 "10You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you."
This is a common theme in the New Testament in general and the Pauline letters in particular. The idea is that everyday with Christ is a celebration and there is thus no reason to set aside any particular day of observance. My point is that I think all Christmas lights piss off God so they’ll hear about their October lights from the big man someday.
Back on topic. I don’t really hate anything or anyone, but there are some things I dislike, which include, but are not limited to:
1. Extremists of any type.
2. The way extremists highjack good things and twist them for nefarious purposes (the KKK with Crosses and the Confederate Flag, Religious terrorists with the Bible, the Qur’an, the Torah, Lucas with the OT, et al)
3. Hypocrites. Say fat Christians that bag on Gays; gluttony is one of the “seven deadly sins” and homosexuality is not. Atheists that criticize people of faith for their faith while they have total faith (and thus no empirical data) that there is no God.
4. Revisionism of any kind. Everything from the Texas Revolution to Han and Greedo can be found in this category.
5. Politicians in general and their inclination to talk up hot-button issues (same sex marriage, abortion, gun control, the environment, et al), which they never intend to pass legislation on. Normally they do this to make sure their base votes and it works, but it really fucks over moderate/independents like me.
6. The self centered, self important nature that humans and indeed humanity gravitates towards. Say the guy that cuts you off in traffic because he thinks his time is more important than your life. Global warming is another humanity centered issue. If we have such a profound impact on the Earth how did the little ice age end if there were no factories or SUVs? If we cause issues for the planet it will shake humanity off like a bad cold.
7. People that think they are subject matter experts on every topic because they have a broadband connection.